"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:46 pm

This is a stupid nitpick, but did anyone else noticed how the symbol on Krillin's gi kept disappearing and reappearing? At first I tought Toyotaro decided to give a new uniform with no symbol, but then he begin drawing it in some panels and ignoring it in others. Kind of like Frieza's halo in the previous chapter. I hope these small issues get fixed when the complete volumes come out
Get Fucked, C_unt

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:17 pm

An ok chapter,in hindsight this chapters is just the build up,is building up a lot of things that we will see in the Future.
    The battle were ok, not spectacular just a little generic however the direction is much better than the Anime while yes U7 is eating up the elimination however it has better transition from A to B,no fake tension and not useless commentary from Zeno and someone.
      Frieza is still petty for vengance, yup I think I already saw the ending of this character in this saga through I do liked what there doing with Frieza and Frost interaction as well Team U7/U6 interaction/banters, those jokes were really great and not forced.
        Hit looks stronger, good because he was underwhelming back when let's see how he perform here.
          A decent chapter,way more enjoyable than 97 in comparison oh and the Android were awesome here, Glad Goku and Vegeta are not stealing the spotlight here like many here thought they would.
          Last edited by The gr on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
          Mostly active on discord.

HeroR
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
          supersaiyanZero wrote:It's unreal how much of a better product the manga is when compared to the anime. Great chapter.
          That’s because toyotaro is one person. He knows what he is going to do and how he wants things to unfold. The anime has a bunch of writers, so when someone does an episode, the other would do the next how he thinks is correct, even if it conflicts with how the story was before.
          That isn’t how the anime is written. The writer have no control over what they write. They just put the script together handed by the director of the series.
          Kanassa wrote:
          precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
          Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MajinMan
          Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Just like the anime’s version of the start of the ToP, it’s kind of bland. I don’t know about you guys, but I find it boring when characters literally get one shotted out the ring. The banter before the tournament was solid, but the fights themselves are nothing special. This section of the story is Probably tied with the anime to me. I want to see how the big events are handled, like Kefla, Ribrianne, and Jiren.
          Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Kenneth La Torre
          I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:58 pm

HeroR wrote:
          Kenneth La Torre wrote:
          supersaiyanZero wrote:It's unreal how much of a better product the manga is when compared to the anime. Great chapter.
          That’s because toyotaro is one person. He knows what he is going to do and how he wants things to unfold. The anime has a bunch of writers, so when someone does an episode, the other would do the next how he thinks is correct, even if it conflicts with how the story was before.
          That isn’t how the anime is written. The writer have no control over what they write. They just put the script together handed by the director of the series.
          They do have control, cause the scripts that toriyama writes have been stated to be very simplistic, then toyotaro (manga) and toei have to fill in the rest themselves. What, you though toriyama was heavily mostly involved in this series? Sorry to dissapoint you, but Super has many writers.

HeroR
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
          HeroR wrote:
          Kenneth La Torre wrote:
          They do have control, cause the scripts that toriyama writes have been stated to be very simplistic, then toyotaro (manga) and toei have to fill in the rest themselves. What, you though toriyama was heavily mostly involved in this series? Sorry to dissapoint you, but Super has many writers.
          The director and producters have control, not the individual writers of each episode.

And you obviously don’t know me if you assumed I don’t know how Super is written and what Toriyama does.
          Kanassa wrote:
          Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Beerus
          Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 pm

HeroR wrote:
          Kenneth La Torre wrote:
          HeroR wrote:
          The director and producters have control, not the individual writers of each episode.

And you obviously don’t know me if you assumed I don’t know how Super is written and what Toriyama does.
          HeroR is right. The writers in Dragon Ball Super don't have as much control as people think they do:
          Production:

The first step is to write the episode scripts. Following the episodes synopsis/plans, the full scripts are written, by either one person for the whole series or by several different writers based on the outlines from the overall script supervisor (staff credit: series composition). The scripts are reviewed by the director, producers, and potentially the author of the original work before being finalised (after 3 or 4 drafts, often). The episode director, supervised by the overall director then takes this backbone of the episode and must plan out how it will actually look on screen. While the director has the final say and is involved at production meetings, the episode director has the most hands-on involvement in developing the episode. This stage is expressed as a storyboard (a visual script), and the storyboard marks the beginning of actual animation production.

Kenneth La Torre
          I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
          HeroR wrote:
          Kenneth La Torre wrote:

HeroR is right. The writers in Dragon Ball Super don't have as much control as people think they do:
          Production:

The first step is to write the episode scripts. Following the episodes synopsis/plans, the full scripts are written, by either one person for the whole series or by several different writers based on the outlines from the overall script supervisor (staff credit: series composition). The scripts are reviewed by the director, producers, and potentially the author of the original work before being finalised (after 3 or 4 drafts, often). The episode director, supervised by the overall director then takes this backbone of the episode and must plan out how it will actually look on screen. While the director has the final say and is involved at production meetings, the episode director has the most hands-on involvement in developing the episode. This stage is expressed as a storyboard (a visual script), and the storyboard marks the beginning of actual animation production.
          That pretty much says that several people can work on the writing. So I’m still right. And I’ve seen more reliable people on Twitter talk about this as well. (Terez, thedevilscorpse (goes by a different name now), herms, and others. As long as there are more than one person working on a script, there will be conflicting views.

HeroR
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
          Lord Beerus wrote:
          HeroR wrote:

Production:

That pretty much says that several people can work on the writing. So I’m still right. And I’ve seen more reliable people on Twitter talk about this as well. (Terez, thedevilscorpse (goes by a different name now), herms, and others. As long as there are more than one person working on a script, there will be conflicting views.
          You’re ignoring the part where the director and others overlook the script before anything is finalize. The ‘conflicting views’ usually happens with characterizations, not on what happens between epsoides. For example, the writer of 127 couldn’t decide Vegeta wouldn’t go beyond Blue despite 126 telling us that Vegeta was exhausted. That would already be decided by the director long before the writer even sees the script.

And even with Toyo, he goes through his own editor and Toriyama, so it isn’t all him either. There’s just less people working on the manga.
          Kanassa wrote:

jeffbr92
          Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:32 pm

emperior wrote:Interestingly, in the manga Freeza tells Frost he couldn't care less about winning and only wants his revenge on the Saiyans.
          I still prefer the anime's take as Freeza let that grudge aside in order to fulfil his goals of domination.
          Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

eledoremassis02
          I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:42 pm

To get the special volume to I have to buy the 1-5 pack? I dont see a link for it on amazon

prince212
          OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:44 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
          emperior wrote:Interestingly, in the manga Freeza tells Frost he couldn't care less about winning and only wants his revenge on the Saiyans.
          I still prefer the anime's take as Freeza let that grudge aside in order to fulfil his goals of domination.
          Nothing in the manga made me think that freeza doesn’t have domination as a goal , and noting in the anime made me think that he doesn’t hate saiyans anymore ... it’s just freeza playing his game in both versions .
          That was first encounter freeza frost in manga .....we will see , but We can never take serious freeza when he’s talking friendly with anybody
          It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Neon Z
          Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Hm... The humans being the weakest ones and a waste of a spot in the team comes up a couple of times in the chapter. I hope this leads to them actually doing well against Frost and surprising Champa, rather than it being confirmed by Frost easily taking out one of them and then 18 rescuing the others.

Several of Freeza's lines in this chapter seem identical to the anime's, so, in spite of his words to Frost, I guess it'll have the same ending (he'll eliminate Frost).

LightBing
          I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm

I would love a Frost vs Kuririn/Tenshinhan/Muten Roshi showdown. A win(decently written) would be a great way to pay homage to them. I hope to see the other Universes doing some work next chapter, this one was just a quick intro to the tournament. We didn't even see half of the Universe 7 cast doing anything.

I wonder if Toyotarõ will set up more conflicts or quickly resolve those he hinted at here.

Reminder that this thread exists for all the comparisons to the anime: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38030

Cipher
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm

MajinMan wrote:Just like the anime’s version of the start of the ToP, it’s kind of bland. I don’t know about you guys, but I find it boring when characters literally get one shotted out the ring. The banter before the tournament was solid, but the fights themselves are nothing special. This section of the story is Probably tied with the anime to me. I want to see how the big events are handled, like Kefla, Ribrianne, and Jiren.
          I actually thought everything was pretty lively. Were this a movie, that would have been a two-minute montage, but it would have been an enjoyable one.

precita
          Banned

Post by precita » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:44 pm

I don't predict Krillin/Tien doing much. They'll probably go down quickly or off-panel. Roshi might get a similar scene as the anime, but probably only fighting the chicken man of U4.

Piccolo probably won't do much either.

Spider-Man
          Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Good chapter
            The joke of Krillin and Roshi was pretty hilarious and I love the interaction present in this chapter.
              Android #17 and #18 we're pretty badass and I'm glad they set up #18 vs Ribrianne.
                The fighting choreography was good and I love big panel that show how much chaotic this battle royale is.
                  My only complaint of this chapter was how rushed the universe was introduced we only got The U6 saiyan and U11 recruitment that's it I expected to see other universes but other than that this chapter was good and I'm pretty excited to see how Jiren,Caulifla,Kale and Ribrianne are going to be handled in this arc.

TheMikado
                  I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
                  HeroR wrote:
                  Kenneth La Torre wrote:

Production:

I think this is more a statement on how it is supposed to work rather than Super specifically. We know there were production issues and the checks that probably should have taken place seemed to be missing. The product will only be as good as the direction and producers and we know Super has switched directors a few times.

MajinMan
                  Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Cipher wrote:
                  MajinMan wrote:Just like the anime’s version of the start of the ToP, it’s kind of bland. I don’t know about you guys, but I find it boring when characters literally get one shotted out the ring. The banter before the tournament was solid, but the fights themselves are nothing special. This section of the story is Probably tied with the anime to me. I want to see how the big events are handled, like Kefla, Ribrianne, and Jiren.
                  I actually thought everything was pretty lively. Were this a movie, that would have been a two-minute montage, but it would have been an enjoyable one.
                  That’s the thing, it’s a manga. It’s just pictures of characters getting one-shotted out the ring. I never really like Toyotaro’s action scenes all too much, so maybe that has something to do with it.
                  Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Lord Beerus
                  Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 pm

TheMikado wrote:
                  Lord Beerus wrote:
                  HeroR wrote:

Production:

I think this is more a statement on how it is supposed to work rather than Super specifically. We know there were production issues and the checks that probably should have taken place seemed to be missing. The product will only be as good as the direction and producers and we know Super has switched directors a few times.
                  It's the same thing for Super. It's more the the key animation phase of production that faced a lot of stress in Super's case specifically. Which is rooted to the fact that Dragon Ball Super was a spontaneous decision from Fuji TV, Bandai Namco and other sponsors. Leading to Toei Animation not having enough time for plan for such a long-running series. Which is why episodes like 5, 24, 25, 26 and 33 looked the way they did. The script is one of the first things that are sorted out when it comes to the production of an episode of anime. That's is a main issue at all for Super.