"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:I love it how people totally ignore the NO Z fighters training and the off panel Freeza vs Goku. No character build up nothing. They even say they are glad that it was not included. This chapter had litterly no meaning at all.

Not only Toyo fucked up the art at times.............WHY IS KRILLIN OK WITH FREEZA? Even in the anime he was scared shit.

And this. Looks like Toriyama didnt plan anything for Gohan. Gohan isnt even called the team leader here. Its Goku. Looks like the TOEI staff had mercy on poor Gohan fans and threw them a bone.

Also, No Goku vs Freeza? No Freeza character buildup?

I dont wanna sound like a broken record but....
What? You not loving all that boring consistency.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:52 am

Pannaliciour wrote:I love it how people totally ignore the NO Z fighters training and the off panel Freeza vs Goku. No character build up nothing. They even say they are glad that it was not included. This chapter had litterly no meaning at all.

Character build up? They're the backbone of the series, the main most well known characters, and you want character build up..?

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 am

You do realize the original manga skipped things like this too right?
Of course you don't

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:24 am

To sum up, he did U6 much better, U7 much worse.

It was a good introduction to Caulifla and Kale, doing a better job than the show of contextualising how both of them are prodigious. Caulifla wanting to join so she can fight all these U7 Saiyans with their crazy transformations is on point, and the subtle tease of Kale's power was pretty cool. It's also nice to get an idea of what their gang is actually about. Before, I liked to amuse myself by imagining they were total 'Dennis the Menace' types. In my head-canon, Caulifla trained her incredible power by pantsing the community youth officer and stealing pies off window-sills at lightning speeds. But no, apparently they're a roving terrorist band that can threaten the army. Okay then. Still wish they'd kept the greaser look, the hoods are kind of lazy.

Only let-down is they skipped the training sequence where they learn Super Saiyan. I wanted to get tingly backs in the manga because I love the salt it generates. So much delicious salt. Oh well, we still have Ribrianne.

So that stuff was pretty good. Less good is the Universe 7 side of it. While I'm sure nobody will miss Android 17 vs the Ineffectual Space Poachers or the Master Roshi Fun Times With Sexual Assault, glossing over basically everyone's recruitment feels rushed. Again, I can understand skipping Tien and Roshi, and I'll accept Krillin at a pinch (even though his recruitment episode in the show was The Best), but Gohan and Freeza? Really?

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:41 am

Kataphrut wrote:Only let-down is they skipped the training sequence where they learn Super Saiyan. I wanted to get tingly backs in the manga because I love the salt it generates. So much delicious salt. Oh well, we still have Ribrianne.
If you ask me, that's a really poor attitude to have. Wanting something to happen in a story not because it benefits the story, but because it pisses people off is a terrible thing to hope fur - especially if it might negatively impact the narrative or the community. I'd want the best out of a story and for everyone to enjoy what's happening at any given moment. I see this attitude a lot anymore and I just can't wrap my head around it. Then again, I'm not the spiteful sort.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am

Rebel Instinct wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Only let-down is they skipped the training sequence where they learn Super Saiyan. I wanted to get tingly backs in the manga because I love the salt it generates. So much delicious salt. Oh well, we still have Ribrianne.
If you ask me, that's a really poor attitude to have. Wanting something to happen in a story not because it benefits the story, but because it pisses people off is a terrible thing to hope fur - especially if it might negatively impact the narrative or the community. I'd want the best out of a story and for everyone to enjoy what's happening at any given moment. I see this attitude a lot anymore and I just can't wrap my head around it. Then again, I'm not the spiteful sort.
If people are going be mad about something in an anime, especially when fans corrupt the scene, they deserved to be mocked.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:46 am

HeroR wrote:
Rebel Instinct wrote:
If people are going be mad about something in an anime, especially when fans corrupt the scene, they deserved to be mocked.
People deserve to be mocked for disliking a plot point in a cartoon? Both of you seem like such pleasant people.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:48 am

a lot of people are complaining and rightfully so, i wanted to see them training and goku teaching them (Sans Freeza) his techniques like IT, kaioken, spirit bomb etc...

But understand they're on a strict deadline and would like to the TOP started as the Anime's TOP is probably ending in 1-2 months they want to get this one kicked off so they rushed some things.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:54 am

HeroR wrote:
Rebel Instinct wrote:
That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about wanting what's best for a story versus hoping the plot does a certain thing in order to get off on petty schadenfreude. Doesn't really matter though, the community will be as hateful as it wants and there's nothing I can do about it. Most people seem to actively want an environment like that, so what do I know? I'm not going to add to the hostility, so I''m not going to argue about it.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: People deserve to be mocked for disliking a plot point in a cartoon? Both of you seem like such pleasant people.
No, they deserved to be mocked for 'corrupting' a plot point. The 'tingle back', for example, that people wildly make fun of ignores everything else that Cabba said about becoming a Super Saiyan and how Cali skipped step 1. It's no different how fan corrupted Whis' explanation about UI, how attacking is harder since everyone thinks before attacking, to acting like UI is split between 'Offensive' and 'Defensive' UI.
Rebel Instinct wrote:
That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about wanting what's best for a story versus hoping the plot does a certain thing in order to get off on petty schadenfreude. Doesn't really matter though, the community will be as hateful as it wants and there's nothing I can do about it. Most people seem to actively want an environment like that, so what do I know? I'm not going to add to the hostility, so I''m not going to argue about it.
Read my above post. I have no problem with people disliking a plot point. What I really hate is when people corrupt a plot point. Specifically, Cabba said that you need anger to become a Super Saiyan the first time and you feel a tingle in your back all the other times you transformed, when Cali asked about transforming without anger. Fans then ignored everything Cabba said and act like all the U6 Saiyans went Super Saiyan by 'tingling their backs' when only Cali did it and Cabba pointed out how unusual it was that she skipped the first step.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:14 pm

HeroR wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote: People deserve to be mocked for disliking a plot point in a cartoon? Both of you seem like such pleasant people.
No, they deserved to be mocked for 'corrupting' a plot point. The 'tingle back', for example, that people wildly make fun of ignores everything else that Cabba said about becoming a Super Saiyan and how Cali skipped step 1. It's no different how fan corrupted Whis' explanation about UI, how attacking is harder since everyone thinks before attacking, to acting like UI is split between 'Offensive' and 'Defensive' UI.
Rebel Instinct wrote:
Read my above post. I have no problem with people disliking a plot point. What I really hate is when people corrupt a plot point. Specifically, Cabba said that you need anger to become a Super Saiyan the first time and you feel a tingle in your back all the other times you transformed, when Cali asked about transforming without anger. Fans then ignored everything Cabba said and act like all the U6 Saiyans went Super Saiyan by 'tingling their backs' when only Cali did it and Cabba pointed out how unusual it was that she skipped the first step.
The idea of corrupting a plot point is not what the original comment was even about. You've turned this into something it's not. By all means, continue mocking and ridiculing whoever you feel like, if that's what makes you happy. It's no skin off my nose and I'm not going to fight you about it. Do as you please. I'm out.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Rebel Instinct wrote:
The idea of corrupting a plot point is not what the original comment was even about. You've turned this into something it's not. By all means, continue mocking and ridiculing whoever you feel like, if that's what makes you happy. It's no skin off my nose and I'm not going to fight you about it. Do as you please. I'm out.
That was my take on the original poster's comment about enjoying salt. While I agree that you shouldn't enjoy someone hating a plot point for the sake of it, I do agree that someone corrupting the plot, especially in the case in the 'back tingle', do deserved it since that wasn't even what the story said.
Kanassa wrote:

J.T. Drago

Post by J.T. Drago » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:24 pm

After watching Geekdom's video(and I think MasakoX talked about it too in one video), I'm OK with the whole "tingly back" thing. Even before said videos, I kind of accepted it since I figured that the U6 Saiyans evolved differently, so their method might be a little different. Still a weird thing, but y'know, whatever.

When it comes to the whole Anime vs. Manga thing, imo, both have their ups and downs, and I like both of them. I do kind of feel though that Toyotaro might have the advantage because not only is he working on chapters that the anime is way past, but he also has Toriyama looking over his work. As long as he's following the guidelines and has Toriyama's OK, he can make a lot of changes. I did wonder how the anime would fare if Toriyama looked over at least the script and/or storyboard for the anime, but I imagine that would mean it would take longer to get an episode completed, and time is not on Toei's side.

It definitely seemed like they crammed a ton in this chapter to get to the main dish of this arc quick. I'm curious on how Toyo is gonna handle 80 fighters. I get the feeling that some characters may end up getting the short end of the stick more than they did in the anime, but we'll have to wait and see. At least the fight with Universe 9 should be a tad more interesting since we didn't see the Trio de Dangers earlier, so they'll be should be able to show more of their abilities in the manga's TOP.

Also, I was one that was hoping that Yamcha was gonna fight in place of Freeza in the manga, but...oh well.

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Fans of the manga must make up their mind. Is the manga a great stand alone story? Or is DBS great when you combine them? Because it is shit if you ignore the anime. This is what we know by just looking at manga:

1. First time we see Gohan in 20+ Chapters(where it is said he isn't a fighter) and his has resolve changed and is ready for to fight again ( all done off screen).

2. Goku didn't speak to Gohan(his son) at all this chapter and this is the first time they see each other since the 4th/5th chapter of the manga.

3. Freeza negotiations were treated as a gag and remember by looking at manga on its own the last time we saw Freeza was the shitty movie. Remember how hateful everyone was when we first heard Freeza was coming back for the tournament, but anime converted the fan base into Freeza fan boys.

4.Krillin is good at running away. No, he is definitely not a skilled tactician and martial artist or something like that.

5. Caulifla is strong for no reason. Just because she is the strongest saiyan (anime said she is the sister of Cabbe's teacher, but with more potential).

6. The 1st Female Super Saiyan happened offscreen. Cabbe adds that she achieved it easily with no explanation. (Say what you want, but Tingly back is rooted in a real martial arts aspect known as tanden.)
Last edited by gammabeast21 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:06 pm

J.T. Drago wrote:When it comes to the whole Anime vs. Manga thing, imo, both have their ups and downs, and I like both of them. I do kind of feel though that Toyotaro might have the advantage because not only is he working on chapters that the anime is way past, but he also has Toriyama looking over his work. As long as he's following the guidelines and has Toriyama's OK, he can make a lot of changes. I did wonder how the anime would fare if Toriyama looked over at least the script and/or storyboard for the anime, but I imagine that would mean it would take longer to get an episode completed, and time is not on Toei's side.
According to Toyotaro, Toriyama does check over everything DB releated, including the video games.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
J.T. Drago wrote:When it comes to the whole Anime vs. Manga thing, imo, both have their ups and downs, and I like both of them. I do kind of feel though that Toyotaro might have the advantage because not only is he working on chapters that the anime is way past, but he also has Toriyama looking over his work. As long as he's following the guidelines and has Toriyama's OK, he can make a lot of changes. I did wonder how the anime would fare if Toriyama looked over at least the script and/or storyboard for the anime, but I imagine that would mean it would take longer to get an episode completed, and time is not on Toei's side.
According to Toyotaro, Toriyama does check over everything DB releated, including the video games.
To point, both the people who made Xenoverse and FigtherZ vouched for this.
Kanassa wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Decent chapter... in regards to the Universe 6 content.

I'm a bit conflicted with Caulifla introduction in the manga. I really enjoyed the aspect of Caulifla Gang being such a threat that even the Sadala Army can't handle her. But his does make me question why Caulifla wasn't chosen to fight in for Team Universe 6 during the Champa arc tournament. I mean, if Caulifla is stronger than practically all of the strongest Saiyans in Universe 6, how was she not on Champa's radar when recruiting the strongest fighters of Universe 6 to fight Universe 7, but Cabba, a character who was weaker than her, was the first chosen? Oh well. I guess you gotta put over Caulifla as a big deal.

Not really digging the idea that Caulifla learned SSJ easily off-screen. I hope Toyotaro expands on this later with exactly how she obtains the form, because this seem even more convenient than how she learned SSJ in the anime.

I do have to say that I find the concept of the Sadala Army using guns in battle as really dumb. I mean, they can fly and fire ki blasts, right?

I enjoyed that Cabba displayed more dominance and more of an authoritative position with him transforming into SSJ and humbling Caulifla and teaching her SSJ off-screen.

While I like that the anime was very upfront that Kale is monstrously powerful to justify her inclusion in the team, I also liked the subtle teases of what Kale can do in the manga (crushing the Sadala Army soldiers gun and stealing back the pendant from SSJ Cabba without either of them noticing). Even though the later justification for Kale being brought to the tournament was basically just so that she could make up the numbers. I guess Toyotaro is saving her transformation for the tournament itself and I'm okay with that.

I HATED that Goku and Freeza fighting happened off-panel. That is something I would have killed to see as we haven't seen them fight yet in the manga. Hell, even a brief skirmish like the anime gave us in Episode 95 would have been good enough. Something to really sell the idea that Golden Freeza has truly become more powerful than before.

And Gohan casually mentioning that Piccolo whipped him back into shape makes the tease of him training in the gravity room seem quite pointless. I really hope Toyotaro is planning to make Gohan turning Ultimate again, if it is going to happen, a big deal in the tournament itself. Perhaps a flashback in the tournament itself? Well, I hope that is the case.

Goku saying that Krillin is good at running away infuriates me. That's the kind of bullshit line I would have expected form Toei, given how they like playing up Krillin comically dogged attitude in some of the Z movies. Krillin is one of the bravest characters in the show. He didn't run away against General Blue, Nappa, Vegeta, Freeza's army, the Ginyu Force, Freeza, Cell or even Majin Boo. I mean, on some of those occasions, Goku was also there. Hell, when Goku arrives on Namek and reads Krillin's minds, he was able to see all the events that Krillin had experienced once he and Gohan had arrived on Namek. So where is the fuck is that kind of comment coming from? FUCK Goku for saying that.

I didn't like how Krillin and #18 refused to take part in the tournament because Goku lied about the tournament prize money in the anime and I didn't like seeing it again in the manga.

I do like that we got a glimpse of the events of ROF, and the circumstances of Freeza's death being provided from Freeza's POV were a really nice touch. And I loved that Freeza getting stronger was based on image training of him killing Goku and company thousands of times.

Freeza was drawn without a halo far too many times.

The Universe 7 portion of the chapter was very underwhelming and I feel the anime did a much better job of handling it. But I felt the Universe 6 Saiyans were better handled in some parts compared to how the anime handled them. The lack of any perspective from any of the universes is incredibly disappointing.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:28 pm

This was a decent chapter.
Loved the way the Uni 6 Saiyans were handled. Cabba not being a total pushover in the fight and personality wise was fun to see. Kale seems super interesting too!

I love that there’s no Blue abuse with Goku, and it still seems that Gohan might not be SSJG level which I’m happy with. In BoG it seemed super special and in still does in the manga.

A couple downsides are..
No Freeza vs Goku, I mean we know how it went but it would be fun to see a bit. Although I do prefer that it clearly wasn’t one punch like in the anime (but damn the scene was gorgeous).

Not seeing anything of Gohans training. I’d love if it was stated to be in the RoSaT.

Other than that there’s not really anything wrong with the skipped training scenes. The original manga loved skipping those kinds of things, and not having Goku fight everybody is great.. Hopefully Goku doesn’t hog the panels in the manga ToP like he is the screen in the anime.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Decent chapter... in regards to the Universe 6 content.

I'm a bit conflicted with Caulifla introduction in the manga. I really enjoyed the aspect of Caulifla Gang being such a threat that even the Sadala Army can't handle her. But his does make me question why Caulifla wasn't chosen to fight in for Team Universe 6 during the Champa arc tournament. I mean, if Caulifla is stronger than practically all of the strongest Saiyans in Universe 6, how was she not on Champa's radar when recruiting the strongest fighters of Universe 6 to fight Universe 7, but Cabba, a character who was weaker than her, was the first chosen? Oh well. I guess you gotta put over Caulifla as a big deal.

Not really digging the idea that Caulifla learned SSJ easily off-screen. I hope Toyotaro expands on this later with exactly how she obtains the form, because this seem even more convenient than how she learned SSJ in the anime.

I do have to say that I find the concept of the Sadala Army using guns in battle as really dumb. I mean, they can fly and fire ki blasts, right?

I enjoyed that Cabba displayed more dominance and more of an authoritative position with him transforming into SSJ and humbling Caulifla and teaching her SSJ off-screen.

While I like that the anime was very upfront that Kale is monstrously powerful to justify her inclusion in the team, I also liked the subtle teases of what Kale can do in the manga (crushing the Sadala Army soldiers gun and stealing back the pendant from SSJ Cabba without either of them noticing). Even though the later justification for Kale being brought to the tournament was basically just so that she could make up the numbers. I guess Toyotaro is saving her transformation for the tournament itself and I'm okay with that.

I HATED that Goku and Freeza fighting happened off-panel. That is something I would have killed to see as we haven't seen them fight yet in the manga. Hell, even a brief skirmish like the anime gave us in Episode 95 would have been good enough. Something to really sell the idea that Golden Freeza has truly become more powerful than before.

And Gohan casually mentioning that Piccolo whipped him back into shape makes the tease of him training in the gravity room seem quite pointless. I really hope Toyotaro is planning to make Gohan turning Ultimate again, if it is going to happen, a big deal in the tournament itself. Perhaps a flashback in the tournament itself? Well, I hope that is the case.

Goku saying that Krillin is good at running away infuriates me. That's the kind of bullshit line I would have expected form Toei, given how they like playing up Krillin comically dogged attitude in some of the Z movies. Krillin is one of the bravest characters in the show. He didn't run away against General Blue, Nappa, Vegeta, Freeza's army, the Ginyu Force, Freeza, Cell or even Majin Boo. I mean, on some of those occasions, Goku was also there. Hell, when Goku arrives on Namek and reads Krillin's minds, he was able to see all the events that Krillin had experienced once he and Gohan had arrived on Namek. So where is the fuck is that kind of comment coming from? FUCK Goku for saying that.

I didn't like how Krillin and #18 refused to take part in the tournament because Goku lied about the tournament prize money in the anime and I didn't like seeing it again in the manga.

I do like that we got a glimpse of the events of ROF, and the circumstances of Freeza's death being provided from Freeza's POV were a really nice touch. And I loved that Freeza getting stronger was based on image training of him killing Goku and company thousands of times.

Freeza was drawn without a halo far too many times.

The Universe 7 portion of the chapter was very underwhelming and I feel the anime did a much better job of handling it. But I felt the Universe 6 Saiyans were better handled in some parts compared to how the anime handled them. The lack of any perspective from any of the universes is incredibly disappointing.
To be sure, that was also in the anime and we even got images of Freeza mentally picturing murdering Goku.

I also wonder if Freeza is going to have a big role since the manga treated his inclusion like a wet fart, although the aftermath panel was hilarious. Gohan just getting back into shape off-scene is the worst, Imo, since Piccolo addressing his failings in the Buu Saga (which I have pointed out for years) was some of the best writing in Dragon Ball. That and Gohan shared the same weakness as his father of dropping his guard when he thinks he has won.
Kanassa wrote:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:47 pm

HeroR wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:According to Toyotaro, Toriyama does check over everything DB releated, including the video games.
To point, both the people who made Xenoverse and FigtherZ vouched for this.
Which makes me wonder how much Toriyama really cares about "easy transformations," "unearned power ups," and those things that get the western fandom into such a snit. Based on his past interviews, he's fine with people having some fun in his sandbox. I find it rather hard to believe that he wouldn't be aware of things like that whole Caulifla thing or Kaioken Blue or Super Blue Vegeta and have the opportunity to put his foot down or suggest changes if he found them objectionable. The only thing I can recall him protesting against was Toyotaro wanting to put Belmod and Marcarita in a relationship because Angels wouldn't do that.