"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Exline wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Exline wrote:
Um, it kinda feels like it's degraded from story to power level list in many ways. Thankfully, Toyotaro is fixing that somewhat. :D

And why do people keep bringing up the outline as if everything it details is definitely going to happen or not?
The only outline I've seen is the one Herms put up on his twitter and the one posted on this forum a while ago and it barely gives us any information on the tournament. We even get hints that the original draft is different compared to the revised draft. We are not completely aware of everything that will happen in the tournament (specifically in the manga version).

If I'm wrong, please let me know if am, as well as what outline you are reading to make sure whether or not we are looking at the same one.
The outline is about how about universe 11 vs 7. Toriyama already wrote the order of elimination, and how and by who they are eliminated.
They state this occurs in a original draft, implying there is a new draft. They even state Caulifla and Kale were not in the original draft either, furthering the assumption that revisions were definitely made. Meaning not everything in either the revision or the original is set in stone.

This same outline explains that Dyspo, Toppo, Jiren, and Quitela were one of the first few characters made for this arc, right? If so then we are reading the same outline.

If you want to take it that way, thats on you. If it happens exactly like the anime, then i guess i told you so. But ill save that statement for when it happens.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Exline wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
The outline is about how about universe 11 vs 7. Toriyama already wrote the order of elimination, and how and by who they are eliminated.
They state this occurs in a original draft, implying there is a new draft. They even state Caulifla and Kale were not in the original draft either, furthering the assumption that revisions were definitely made. Meaning not everything in either the revision or the original is set in stone.

This same outline explains that Dyspo, Toppo, Jiren, and Quitela were one of the first few characters made for this arc, right? If so then we are reading the same outline.

If you want to take it that way, thats on you. If it happens exactly like the anime, then i guess i told you so. But ill save that statement for when it happens.
Very well :lol:

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Exline wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:
Regardless I don't think he will fight either of them. A fight like that imo would have been in the outline and Toei wouldn't skip that especially with tons of fans wanting a vegeta vs hit rematch. Unfortunately I think Hits "improvements" will be all for naught because he fights Jiren
I'm not saying the fight will definitely happen, and that Hit will be equal to Goku and Vegeta. I'm saying that it's pointless to state reasons why Hit's statement about improving is wrong or doesn't mean anything, because Dragonball is a story, not a power level list.

Um, it kinda feels like it's degraded from story to power level list in many ways. Thankfully, Toyotaro is fixing that somewhat. :D

And why do people keep bringing up the outline as if everything it details is definitely going to happen or not?
The only outline I've seen is the one Herms put up on his twitter and the one posted on this forum a while ago and it barely gives us any information on the tournament. We even get hints that the original draft is different compared to the revised draft. We are not completely aware of everything that will happen in the tournament (specifically in the manga version).

If I'm wrong, please let me know if am, as well as what outline you are reading to make sure whether or not we are looking at the same one.

The anime in the trunks arc and in the recruitment portion of the US arc had way more fights/ events than the manga. Toyo doesn’t seem to put in stuff that Toriyama doesn’t outline for example we never saw Goku vs Goku Black in the manga. I doubt and I maybe wrong that Hit vs Vegeta or Goku wouldn’t be in the outline, that seems way too big and Toei would probably try to make it happen if the outline allowed for it hell They teased it at the end of 104 but nothing came of it

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Lionel wrote:In Hit's case, it's compounded by the fact that he's shown nothing else that would enable him to compensate for a power discrepancy in the manga like he has, at least conceptually, in the anime.
The manga adheres to Dragonball's rules more than the anime did. In the manga, Hit's timeskip doesn't affect those with a stronger ki than him, hence why Goku was able to overpower him. The manga, wisely, then made it clear Hit was holding back because he's trained to be a killer, not a fighter. That's the out.

At the start of this Arc, Hit made it clear that even though he wasn't allowed to kill in this tournament, he'll be fine as he spent the time since the last tournament training.
I question if Toyotaro even remembers that quote.
How can you question if he remembers the major conceit of the climax of the first arc where he was allowed to tell an actual story? How can you question if he remembers that when Hit and Goku openly discuss that the first time they meet again? I have no idea why so many of you hold this guy in such low regard as a writer when he's consistently proven that he's telling a better, more coherent, more Dragonball-like story than the anime ever did.
ToshioWrites wrote: The anime in the trunks arc and in the recruitment portion of the US arc had way more fights/ events than the manga. Toyo doesn’t seem to put in stuff that Toriyama doesn’t outline for example we never saw Goku vs Goku Black in the manga. I doubt and I maybe wrong that Hit vs Vegeta or Goku wouldn’t be in the outline, that seems way too big and Toei would probably try to make it happen if the outline allowed for it hell They teased it at the end of 104 but nothing came of it
You're on the leading Dragonball fansite, with thoroughly archived information. There's no need for speculation like this when you can just pull it up in the interviews section of the site.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... alk-vol-2/

Were there any other difficult points?
Toyotarō:
Zamasu1 actually wasn’t all that strong of a character in the original draft I received from Toriyama-sensei. Though immortal, his strength was such that two Super Saiyan Blues were more than enough to take him on. It’s precisely because of this that in the original draft things unfolded so that his “immortality” and “Potara time limit” became key, and Goku and Vegeta took turns fighting him. Goku and Vegeta didn’t fuse in the original draft. Their personalities made any fusion after the Majin Boo arc impossible. However, I wanted to meet the readers’ expectations… And so, I made a scenario where “even if they shouldn’t really fuse, now they have absolutely no choice but to fuse”.
Toriyama:
I think it was good!

Toyotarō:
That’s why I thought and thought until the rough draft came together… It was the most fun and also the most stressful time. But once that got the OK, it was a fun job after that!
Toyotaro adds his own ideas to the manga, and noted that even in an earlier volume.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 pm

TKA wrote:
Lionel wrote:In Hit's case, it's compounded by the fact that he's shown nothing else that would enable him to compensate for a power discrepancy in the manga like he has, at least conceptually, in the anime.
The manga adheres to Dragonball's rules more than the anime did. In the manga, Hit's timeskip doesn't affect those with a stronger ki than him, hence why Goku was able to overpower him. The manga, wisely, then made it clear Hit was holding back because he's trained to be a killer, not a fighter. That's the out.

At the start of this Arc, Hit made it clear that even though he wasn't allowed to kill in this tournament, he'll be fine as he spent the time since the last tournament training.
How can you question if he remembers the major conceit of the climax of the first arc where he was allowed to tell an actual story? How can you question if he remembers that when Hit and Goku openly discuss that the first time they meet again? I have no idea why so many of you hold this guy in such low regard as a writer when he's consistently proven that he's telling a better, more coherent, more Dragonball-like story than the anime ever did.
ToshioWrites wrote: The anime in the trunks arc and in the recruitment portion of the US arc had way more fights/ events than the manga. Toyo doesn’t seem to put in stuff that Toriyama doesn’t outline for example we never saw Goku vs Goku Black in the manga. I doubt and I maybe wrong that Hit vs Vegeta or Goku wouldn’t be in the outline, that seems way too big and Toei would probably try to make it happen if the outline allowed for it hell They teased it at the end of 104 but nothing came of it
You're on the leading Dragonball fansite, with thoroughly archived information. There's no need for speculation like this when you can just pull it up in the interviews section of the site.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... alk-vol-2/

Were there any other difficult points?
Toyotarō:
Zamasu1 actually wasn’t all that strong of a character in the original draft I received from Toriyama-sensei. Though immortal, his strength was such that two Super Saiyan Blues were more than enough to take him on. It’s precisely because of this that in the original draft things unfolded so that his “immortality” and “Potara time limit” became key, and Goku and Vegeta took turns fighting him. Goku and Vegeta didn’t fuse in the original draft. Their personalities made any fusion after the Majin Boo arc impossible. However, I wanted to meet the readers’ expectations… And so, I made a scenario where “even if they shouldn’t really fuse, now they have absolutely no choice but to fuse”.
Toriyama:
I think it was good!

Toyotarō:
That’s why I thought and thought until the rough draft came together… It was the most fun and also the most stressful time. But once that got the OK, it was a fun job after that!
Toyotaro adds his own ideas to the manga, and noted that even in an earlier volume.
i never said he didn't. He suggested vegito and that was added to the draft while ssg vegeta and healer trunks were manga exclusive. Thats not my point thought. Toyo atleast in the last arc didn't have any fights that the anime didn't and instead had way less

They only went to future twice
Goku never once fought Goku Black
Trunks pretty much did nothing except be at blacks mercy when goku/vegeta escaped and cut m zamasu defused as opposed to the anime where he fought black and zamasu and actually fought m zamasu for atleast a bit.

I don't think we will get any "big fights" in the manga that the anime didn't give us. I hope I am wrong though

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:00 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:i never said he didn't. He suggested vegito and that was added to the draft while ssg vegeta and healer trunks were manga exclusive. Thats not my point thought. Toyo atleast in the last arc didn't have any fights that the anime didn't and instead had way less

They only went to future twice
Goku never once fought Goku Black
Trunks pretty much did nothing except be at blacks mercy when goku/vegeta escaped and cut m zamasu defused as opposed to the anime where he fought black and zamasu and actually fought m zamasu for atleast a bit.

I don't think we will get any "big fights" in the manga that the anime didn't give us. I hope I am wrong though
Your thought process is a bit flawed. Namely, Toyotaro doesn't need to add pointless filler fights to "add his own ideas". Things like Vegeta switching between SSG and SSGSS against Black is something he does different from the anime, Completed Super Saiyan Blue vs Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken is another.

The anime is pointlessly bloated, while the manga is a concise story with a mixture of Toriyama and Toyotaro.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:57 am

ToshioWrites wrote:
TKA wrote:
Lionel wrote:I

Except Trunks only was able to fight Zamasu after receiving a power up he pulled out of his ass. The moment I saw that in the anime was the moment when I realized that nothing mattered in DBS. Any character can just go "MY FAMILY!!!" charge up, and go toe to toe with anyone simply because that's what the writers wanted.

The thing about that not happening in the manga, not only because it makes sense, but also--it adds tension. Having Trunks sacrifice himself to let Vegeta and Goku escape despite being far weaker than his opponent is a more meaningful gesture than just giving him a bullshit power up just because his fans want to see him do something.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 am

TKA wrote:

Yes his holding back because his in a situation where he isn't allowed to kill anyone, the problem with that is that the manga hasn't put him in a situation where he is allowed to kill, since the same rules follow over.

Though I do agree that Toyotaro's manga definitely chose a more sensical route by making Hits ability unable to affect stronger opponents, it also served to devalue Hits skill of the time-skip, and was further devalued in his fight with Goku where he released his full power. I think the anime's initial approach to Hit as a fighter, namely him being an opponent that could overcome the discrepancies in strength with an a dangerous ability, was definitely a far more interesting and unique path to take for the character, despite the absurd stuff that happened afterwards.

I and many others feel that Toyotaro doesn't do a particularly good job at selling how imposing his villains are in comparison to the anime, both from writing point, and I think, just as or more importantly, from how he frames them.
Anime and manga are both visual mediums, the manga being more so, so how they present these characters visually to the audience is extremely important and I think its something when it comes to the selling villains that the Super anime does exceptionally well in comparison to Toyo's manga. Great framing of villains is something I think is true for pretty much all of Dragonball, especially the anime, which I am currently rewatching the Namek arc of.

As a comparison, Hits introductory fights in episode 38 and 39 anime, are far better framed than the manga(especially 38, which for me, is easily the best episode of that tournament), with the power dynamics of the fights being explicitly clear through readable framing, like say during Vegeta's fight with Hit in the anime, in which Hit is constantly framed primarily from low angle shots, demonstrating how imposing and towering he is over Vegeta. As a result, it does a far better job of selling Hit as an antagonist in spite of the plot points. The same can also be said for Goku Black, and in turn Merged Zamasu, who despite the debatable choice of abilities, is in my opinion far better framed in the anime(specifically 65, not because he wasn't well framed in 66, but because 65 is a far stronger example of what I'm getting at) as the god he thinks himself to be, with him constantly towering Goku and Vegeta at every opportunity, with the anime intentionally making Goku and Vegeta tiny in comparison. In the manga, I often feel like these types of imposing compositions, are strangely lacking, or just not very well executed in comparison, which I believe really hurts the memorability of these characters. I think this is a definite area of improvement for Toyotaro as an artist. He can definitely draw the characters, however, his unique compositions, I feel, are his biggest glaring problem as a mangaka, especially for DB, which as a shonen series, heavily benefitted from Toriyama's fantastic framing of fight scenes.

Thankfully, I feel like Toyo has made a conscious effort specifically in this arc to improve how he frames his action and character, with stuff from the GoD tournament, Goku vs Toppo and Goku vs 17 immediately coming to mind.

I hope this little rant wasn't completely incoherent, I just felt that it was something worth writing about as it was something I really noticed during the rewatch of DBZ that Ajay is currently supporting.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 am

JazzMazz wrote: I and many others feel that Toyotaro doesn't do a particularly good job at selling how imposing his villains are in comparison to the anime, both from writing point, and I think, just as or more importantly, from how he frames them.

Anime and manga are both visual mediums, the manga being more so, so how they present these characters visually to the audience is extremely important and I think its something when it comes to the selling villains that the Super anime does exceptionally well in comparison to Toyo's manga. Great framing of villains is something I think is true for pretty much all of Dragonball, especially the anime, which I am currently rewatching the Namek arc of.

As a comparison, Hits introductory fights in episode 38 and 39 anime, are far better framed than the manga(especially 38, which for me, is easily the best episode of that tournament), with the power dynamics of the fights being explicitly clear through readable framing, like say during Vegeta's fight with Hit in the anime, in which Hit is constantly framed primarily from low angle shots, demonstrating how imposing and towering he is over Vegeta. As a result, it does a far better job of selling Hit as an antagonist in spite of the plot points. The same can also be said for Goku Black, and in turn Merged Zamasu, who despite the debatable choice of abilities, is in my opinion far better framed in the anime(specifically 65, not because he wasn't well framed in 66, but because 65 is a far stronger example of what I'm getting at) as the god he thinks himself to be, with him constantly towering Goku and Vegeta at every opportunity, with the anime intentionally making Goku and Vegeta tiny in comparison. In the manga, I often feel like these types of imposing compositions, are strangely lacking, or just not very well executed in comparison, which I believe really hurts the memorability of these characters. I think this is a definite area of improvement for Toyotaro as an artist. He can definitely draw the characters, however, his unique compositions, I feel, are his biggest glaring problem as a mangaka, especially for DB, which as a shonen series, heavily benefitted from Toriyama's fantastic framing of fight scenes.

Thankfully, I feel like Toyo has made a conscious effort specifically in this arc to improve how he frames his action and character, with stuff from the GoD tournament, Goku vs Toppo and Goku vs 17 immediately coming to mind.

I hope this little rant wasn't completely incoherent, I just felt that it was something worth writing about as it was something I really noticed during the rewatch of DBZ that Ajay is currently supporting.
I somewhat agree, but at the same time disagree with some of these statements.

I think Toyotaro's major problem is his story-boarding, especially at the begging of this manga. He sometimes fails at establishing tension like you said through these panels, and some of them are just quite boring. The choreography as well in some of the beginning fights was rather awkward and lacked that sense of impact and adrenaline that Toriyama could display when drawing the original manga. You have to admit that he at least stepped in up that department in the middle of the U6 Arc.

I think the major problem Toyotaro pulled was rushing the ending of that fight. Toyotaro doesn't exactly have many pages that can compete with the amount of time the anime gives to flesh out these characters.

And about Hit's fight, I've stated in the Super's Anime vs Manga Thread that the fight between Goku and Hit doesn't really make Hit look like fodder compared to Goku. I feel that this fight is being heavily misinterpreted just because one of his techniques had been triumped over. Goku breaking Hit's time skip doesn't exactly mean that Hit has no way of stopping Goku. Hit even dodges a SSB Kamehameha and I think that proves just how formidable he is.

I feel as if most readers of the manga are really overexaggerating how Hit compares to Goku over just that fight. If Hit claims he's been getting much stronger, even when being able to deal with SSG and SSB on his own, then give him some consideration before immediately dismissing him as a weakling when he's already proven he isn't.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:38 pm

I see the "tension" angle getting thrown around quite frequently; from my perspective, that's a totally unfair critique to make. The manga really starts to come into its own with the Future Trunks arc, which has loads of tension. Honestly, it's downright disingenuous to suggest otherwise. The only difference is that I'd say the manga is generally much more thoughtful and careful in its execution of that tension, and it doesn't go completely off-the-rails in a rather shortsighted effort to "hype up" the viewer's perception of various conflicts through meaningless, often very poorly explained contrivances.

The manga uses all the same quandaries to increase its suspense as the anime, albeit in a more organized manner; Vegeta overpowers Black, then Black overpowers Vegeta, then Vegeta trains and returns to overpower Black once again, followed by Black fusing with Zamasu to overpower Vegeta and Goku at once. The two engage in fusion themselves to briefly overpower Fused Zamasu, but it doesn't last long enough to be effective. In this version, after Goku completes Super Saiyan Blue a relatively even battle ensues between Goku and Fused Zamasu which eventually culminates in the latter creating an impossible obstacle for the protagonists until Zeno comes into the scene.

That's a ton of pressure and uncertainty for the main heroes because they never quite obtain a complete advantage without an antagonistic trump card waiting around the corner -- the anime largely relies on the same back-and-forth struggles, it's just somewhat more bloated/drawn-out in its implementation of them and it only does so through repetitive, incredibly predictable rage-boosting sequences complete with nonsensical transformations, weird dimensional rifts and other strange gimmicks (Fused Zamasu's mutation power immediately comes to mind) that are never quite fully explained or allowed to breathe. In the manga, Goku and Vegeta improve themselves through the introduction of completely new techniques that correspond to universal rules and even play an active role in the series going forward, which is a much less haphazard, more organic approach and doesn't undermine or muddle that sense of progression through more ambiguous methods.

There were only a couple of instances where I felt that the anime genuinely had more tension than the manga, and Goku's battle against Hit is one of the few examples I'd be inclined to agree with. Otherwise, any proclaimed gaps in the anime's favor I would suspect primarily derives from the fact that one medium is far behind the other and more prone to predictive analysis. It can be difficult to feel any suspense if you already know what's going to happen, but that's not on the narrative itself.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
There were only a couple of instances where I felt that the anime genuinely had more tension than the manga, and Goku's battle against Hit is one of the few examples I'd be inclined to agree with.
It's funny because in this example you used the manga wasn't trying to have the typical kind of "tension". By the mid-point of the chapter, it's established that Goku has beaten the timeskip while still holding Blue in reserve. The tension in the chapter came at the end where Goku went Blue and hit dodged the Kamehameha. From what we were told, Blue drains so much energy that he'd only be good for one shot. When Hit lands he says the real fight will start now, but Goku surrenders.

That's much different than the anime and its faux-drama, which it achieves through multiple cuts to side characters in the stands commentating and music.

It's also worth noting that Manga Hit is way more emotive than his anime counterpart and this was never portrayed as anything more than a friendly competition on his end.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:I see the "tension" angle getting thrown around quite frequently; from my perspective, that's a totally unfair critique to make. The manga really starts to come into its own with the Future Trunks arc, which has loads of tension. Honestly, it's downright disingenuous to suggest otherwise. The only difference is that I'd say the manga is generally much more thoughtful and careful in its execution of that tension, and it doesn't go completely off-the-rails in a rather shortsighted effort to "hype up" the viewer's perception of various conflicts through meaningless, often very poorly explained contrivances.

The manga uses all the same quandaries to increase its suspense as the anime, albeit in a more organized manner; Vegeta overpowers Black, then Black overpowers Vegeta, then Vegeta trains and returns to overpower Black once again, followed by Black fusing with Zamasu to overpower Vegeta and Goku at once. The two engage in fusion themselves to briefly overpower Fused Zamasu, but it doesn't last long enough to be effective. In this version, after Goku completes Super Saiyan Blue a relatively even battle ensues between Goku and Fused Zamasu which eventually culminates in the latter creating an impossible obstacle for the protagonists until Zeno comes into the scene.

That's a ton of pressure and uncertainty for the main heroes because they never quite obtain a complete advantage without an antagonistic trump card waiting around the corner -- the anime largely relies on the same back-and-forth struggles, it's just somewhat more bloated/drawn-out in its implementation of them and it only does so through repetitive, incredibly predictable rage-boosting sequences complete with nonsensical transformations, weird dimensional rifts and other strange gimmicks (Fused Zamasu's mutation power immediately comes to mind) that are never quite fully explained or allowed to breathe. In the manga, Goku and Vegeta improve themselves through the introduction of completely new techniques that correspond to universal rules and even play an active role in the series going forward, which is a much less haphazard, more organic approach and doesn't undermine or muddle that sense of progression through more ambiguous methods.

There were only a couple of instances where I felt that the anime genuinely had more tension than the manga, and Goku's battle against Hit is one of the few examples I'd be inclined to agree with. Otherwise, any proclaimed gaps in the anime's favor I would suspect primarily derives from the fact that one medium is far behind the other and more prone to predictive analysis. It can be difficult to feel any suspense if you already know what's going to happen, but that's not on the narrative itself.
I think it's disingenious to say Super as a whole has any real tension. We know what happens to these characters. We know they're all alive and they're still all friends 10 years post-Boo. There's no room for tension outside of returning and new characters, which is fine, but nobody really cares about those in comparison to the main cast; and the fact that those characters are pratically in limbo by EoZ is never utilized properly by Toyotaro to establish some real tension, as he focuses mostly on Goku and Vegeta.
TKA wrote:It's also worth noting that Manga Hit is way more emotive than his anime counterpart
They have literally the same personality and arc, only manga Hit is more prone to losing his composure in comparison to the anime version.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Doctor. wrote:
TKA wrote:It's also worth noting that Manga Hit is way more emotive than his anime counterpart
They have literally the same personality and arc, only manga Hit is more prone to losing his composure in comparison to the anime version.
So in other words:
Manga Hit is way more emotive than his anime counterpart
That aside, re-read his chapters. Re-read him meeting Goku again last chapter. He smiles more, he gets into it more, and his expressions are more varied than grunts and scowls.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:59 pm

TKA wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
So in other words:
Manga Hit is way more emotive than his anime counterpart
That aside, re-read his chapters. Re-read him meeting Goku again last chapter. He smiles more, he gets into it more, and his expressions are more varied than grunts and scowls.
I'm not sure what anime you've been watching, but Hit has been smiling towards Goku in the anime since the climax of their fight in the U6 arc. He did it then, in his 2 episode arc and after they teamed up in the ToP. Maybe you're the one who has to rewatch the anime.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think it's disingenious to say Super as a whole has any real tension. We know what happens to these characters. We know they're all alive and they're still all friends 10 years post-Boo. There's no room for tension outside of returning and new characters, which is fine, but nobody really cares about those in comparison to the main cast; and the fact that those characters are pratically in limbo by EoZ is never utilized properly by Toyotaro to establish some real tension, as he focuses mostly on Goku and Vegeta.
That's true, but I'm trying to assess these arcs as individual stories rather than judging them from a broader franchise perspective; given that we're already privy to the fates of Goku and Vegeta prior to Super's conception, it's really all anyone can do, and at least you can look at a scene and tell where the writers are trying to provide an atmosphere of tension or suspense for a self-contained narrative. For the Future Trunks arc, there's also some level of uncertainty regarding Trunks' home timeline which helps slightly.

Within that framework, I just think it's somewhat dishonest to argue that one medium is somehow better at establishing tension than the other. You could feasibly contend that the anime tries to play up its melodrama more than the manga does, but it's so often to the detriment of the story's cohesion and character themes that it certainly doesn't do their arcs any favors.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Rebel Instinct wrote:If/when Goku gets around to fighting the Saiyan girls, he'll likely push them into a corner with his superior strength and fighting prowess just like in the anime. However, he won't start openly mentoring them like in the anime, but he'll still not power up right away until he absolutely needs to. Toyotaro can then use this scenario to accomplish two things: Caulifla, when pushed to her limits by Goku, may unlock Super Saiyan 2 (that is, if Toyotaro is inclined to even give her the form at all) or seeing Caulifla being overpowered and beaten may trigger Kale's berserk transformation. When Caulifla and Kale get stronger and continue fighting back, Goku can escalate his strength even further and keep pressuring them until they are forced to fuse. Only then will he choose to go all out and knock them out of the ring..
The most loathed part of it was them fusing. I'd rather they not use that because it just came off as cheap that they could fuse but Goku & Vegeta didn't against Jiren. If possible I'd rather Kefla be avoided. The most beneficial scenario I would prefer is if they used Goku to humble and re-inspire Caulifla. Say she already has Super Saiyan prior to the Tournament, (which was stated for her only in the manga), she could very well not know how to use it beyond transforming or she could be easily bating the weaklings and gets cocky thinking she's too good for the tournament, but then fights Goku and gets curb-stomped. Maybe not thrown out, but knocked out of her transformation and then realizes Goku using SS2 was much greater than her own power. Then she changes character. Something like Vegeta losing to 18 is what I want if we can give her any character development against the aspect of her people dislike and end the absurd headcanon claims about them having infinite, perpetual potential under bad Super scaling.

I still think her SS2 should be saved for a Sadal arc, where it can be earned, while Kale's legendary form should be triggered after Caulifla is defeated and she panics or runs to her aid but can't transform at will at all yet. Just not giving her "Ultra" SS and SS2 are my definitive expectations. It would just be easier to fix their characters if say they got SS easily but are beaten and overpowered with it despite having that because Goku, Vegeta & Gohan are so much farther ahead. That would then initiate their reason to struggle and get better having their humiliation go against Caulifla thinking they were weak just because she got SS easily.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Doctor. wrote: I'm not sure what anime you've been watching, but Hit has been smiling towards Goku in the anime since the climax of their fight in the U6 arc. He did it then, in his 2 episode arc and after they teamed up in the ToP.
The various faces of Hit. In the anime, he fights while being stoic, but in the manga he screams as he attacks, is visibly surprised by happenings and on many occasions grins.

His dialogue was a friendly "I won't mess up again when we fight" to Goku when they meet in the tournament of power.

Anime Hit and Manga Hit are different characters. This isn't something I care to argue further than this post.
Maybe you're the one who has to rewatch the anime.
I would rather not.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:45 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:The most loathed part of it was them fusing. I'd rather they not use that because it just came off as cheap that they could fuse but Goku & Vegeta didn't against Jiren. If possible I'd rather Kefla be avoided. The most beneficial scenario I would prefer is if they used Goku to humble and re-inspire Caulifla. Say she already has Super Saiyan prior to the Tournament, (which was stated for her only in the manga), she could very well not know how to use it beyond transforming or she could be easily bating the weaklings and gets cocky thinking she's too good for the tournament, but then fights Goku and gets curb-stomped. Maybe not thrown out, but knocked out of her transformation and then realizes Goku using SS2 was much greater than her own power. Then she changes character. Something like Vegeta losing to 18 is what I want if we can give her any character development against the aspect of her people dislike and end the absurd headcanon claims about them having infinite, perpetual potential under bad Super scaling.

I still think her SS2 should be saved for a Sadal arc, where it can be earned, while Kale's legendary form should be triggered after Caulifla is defeated and she panics or runs to her aid but can't transform at will at all yet. Just not giving her "Ultra" SS and SS2 are my definitive expectations. It would just be easier to fix their characters if say they got SS easily but are beaten and overpowered with it despite having that because Goku, Vegeta & Gohan are so much farther ahead. That would then initiate their reason to struggle and get better having their humiliation go against Caulifla thinking they were weak just because she got SS easily.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not fond of the ridiculous leaps in power given to the Universe 6 Saiyans either. If it were up to me, I would have them achieve their transformations through an arc of rigorous training or have them already capable of going Super Saiyan from the outset. I wouldn't have given the girls fusion either since it leapfrogs two new characters through around three or so arcs worth of developments that the main characters had to achieve the long way 'round. Something like that just doesn't sit right with me narratively and it's the main reason I'm not happy about them as characters in the anime.

That said, I have to make certain concessions for Dragon Ball Super's... tendencies. Cabba has demonstrated that the Saiyans of Universe 6 are an "advanced" breed of Saiyan and have an easier time acquiring transformations than their Universe 7 counterparts. It's not a point I'm particularly happy about since it feels very contrived, but it is what it is. At the very least, Cabba transformed into a Super Saiyan in the traditional method of stress and anger, so I could live with the idea of Universe 6 Saiyans having advanced biology. Since Caulifla achieved the form off-screen in the manga, there's no reason to assume that she got it in a way dissimilar to Cabba (no mention of focusing ki in certain places or back tingles like in the anime), so there's nothing particularly offensive there either. With that in mind, I can see Caulifla unlocking Super Saiyan 2 during the tournament if she's exposed to an adequate amount of adversity. If she is pushed to the brink and unlocks the form in a fit of frustration or rage, it wouldn't bother me nearly as much as her "accidentally" popping into the form on her first outing as a Super Saiyan like she did in the anime. It would at least feel "natural".

There are also a certain plot developments in the anime that are all but certain to happen in the manga as well. The odds are extremely high that Caulifla and Kale are going to fuse in the manga, so I factored it in to my prediction. To be honest, as long as it's handled tastefully in the manga, I'm not overly opposed to them fusing. It's not what I would have done with the story personally, but the concept by itself is fine and can prove to be an entertaining fight. It's not like them fusing breaks any pre-established notions. The only sticking point is how convenient the Potara are for a plot relevant power jump and how that can make a tough battle feel more disposable/shallow than if it were built up to organically (which has been a long held criticism of fusion since its inception). My hope is that Toyotaro will make the Saiyan girls' abilities and power growth more palatable for me while still sticking to whatever outline he's been given. He's already avoided most of the problems I had with Caulifla's growth so far, so I'm hopeful.
Marlowe89 wrote:I see the "tension" angle getting thrown around quite frequently; from my perspective, that's a totally unfair critique to make. The manga really starts to come into its own with the Future Trunks arc, which has loads of tension. Honestly, it's downright disingenuous to suggest otherwise. The only difference is that I'd say the manga is generally much more thoughtful and careful in its execution of that tension, and it doesn't go completely off-the-rails in a rather shortsighted effort to "hype up" the viewer's perception of various conflicts through meaningless, often very poorly explained contrivances.

This honestly sums up my feelings regarding "tension" in Dragon Ball Super. Well said. :thumbup: I'll take organically established "give and take" tension over arbitrary episodic struggles and slapdash melodrama.
TKA wrote:
This is an annoying trend I've noticed as well. It seems like when the time comes to start speculating on what will happen in the next chapter, people act like Toyotaro is some dingbat that has no idea what's going on in his own story. Even some of the more well-spoken users here will dole out a reasonable prediction or two and then turn right around and follow it up with something to the effect of "...but this is Toyotaro we're talking about here." as if he habitually forgets his own plot points and can't keep a specific narrative going for more than one chapter. He's far from a flawless writer, but he is still a human being capable of stringing together coherent thoughts.

Particularly doubting whether or not he remembers the no-killing rule after he specifically had Goku mention it at the beginning of the Tournament is, frankly, insulting. Toyotaro made sure to remind the reader that the rule will be in effect regarding Hit's abilities, yet people think he'll just promptly forget about it? How little do you have to think of the man to assume something like that? The absurdly low amount of respect people have for Toyotaro is genuinely depressing. It feels like dissing Toyotaro's competency is just a meme of some kind that has been repeated so often that people are starting to actually believe it. :problem:

On that note:
Exline wrote:And about Hit's fight, I've stated in the Super's Anime vs Manga Thread that the fight between Goku and Hit doesn't really make Hit look like fodder compared to Goku. I feel that this fight is being heavily misinterpreted just because one of his techniques had been triumped over. Goku breaking Hit's time skip doesn't exactly mean that Hit has no way of stopping Goku. Hit even dodges a SSB Kamehameha and I think that proves just how formidable he is.

I feel as if most readers of the manga are really overexaggerating how Hit compares to Goku over just that fight. If Hit claims he's been getting much stronger, even when being able to deal with SSG and SSB on his own, then give him some consideration before immediately dismissing him as a weakling when he's already proven he isn't.
This. So very much this. I've made the same case for Hit's performance in the manga here once before. I'm still irritated by this community "consensus" that Hit was a "weakling" or "fodder" in the manga during the Universe 6 tournament. As far as I can tell, it appears to be one of the many other community memes that has gotten exaggerated over time and slowing accepted as actual fact. From what I've observed, repeating misinterpretations (whether incidentally or maliciuously deliberate) until they become understood as "fact", is a trend that has a startling rate of occurrence in the Dragon Ball fandom.

While it's true that the fight wasn't nearly as dead even as it was in the anime, all Goku managed to accomplish in the end was overcome Hit's timeskip a few times. Hit even tanked a blast from Super Saiyan God head-on with no real injuries. Goku even at his maximum power (at the time) still couldn't land a finishing blow on Hit. He still managed to dodge Goku's Kamehameha with only minor burns to one of his arms. After escaping the Kamehameha, Hit was still good to go and was ready to continue his fight with Goku. Knowing how short-lived the power of Super Saiyan Blue was at the time, there's no guarantee that his power would have lasted any longer than Hit's would have. If Goku hadn't realized that Hit was holding back (quote "That means you are much stronger than I've seen so far.") and forfeited the match, it realistically could have gone either way.

Since Super Saiyan Blue itself was the absolute pinnacle of Goku's strength in the manga at the time and plays the exact same role that Blue Kaio-ken does in the anime (with Super Saiyan God filling the role of Blue), any feats during the battle have to be looked at specifically through that lens. Disregarding Kaio-ken, what happened at the end of the fight in the manga was almost exactly what happened at the end of the fight in the anime. It took Goku's most powerful form to overcome Hit's improved timeskip to get off a Kamehameha that didn't even connect. Going by what the manga had established as Goku's uppermost limits, Hit's performance is just as impressive in the manga as it is in the anime - relatively speaking. There was no tier of power for Goku beyond Super Saiyan Blue at the time and Hit still dodged a final attack from it with minor injuries and was ready to keep fighting. Based on the manga's own scale, that is an impressive feat.

Just because Hit in the manga isn't physically as powerful as his anime self, it doesn't mean that he was weak. It just means that he is in the same ballpark as the manga's version of Super Saiyan Blue - a feat that's rather impressive by the standards set by the manga itself, especially considering that the only other individual opponent to exceed that level prior to Toppo was Goku Black.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:11 am

Rebel Instinct wrote:I wouldn't have given the girls fusion either since it leapfrogs two new characters through around three or so arcs worth of developments that the main characters had to achieve the long way 'round. Something like that just doesn't sit right with me narratively and it's the main reason I'm not happy about them as characters in the anime.
This is the sentiment that people just don't seem to get in regards to Super. Super has been far too much tell and not show, and people that like DB & Z like to see the Show. I've been dying for another real training arc since the Cell saga, and we've only really gotten the Fusion training & Goku/Vegeta training with Whis. Those are actually my favorite parts of Super that is very underrepresented as a staple of entertainment in the series. Potential shouldn't have become this stacking on forms thing we have now, it should be the showcasing of underutilized abilities that characters show, like Goku talent scouting Uub or Piccolo talent scouting Gohan. Which is why I do like the manga showing the girls having some innate (non-transformation based) fighting skill first (and Kale's apparent speed she doesn't even consider a talent). The series just seemed to forget its roots and having characters start from scratch.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:00 am

Though I'm not sure this is exactly the best place to go on about this, I'm going to mention it regardless.

I feel like Toyotaro doesn't do a particularly good job at making new villains memorable, and I think this comes down to primarily two things; a lack of charisma or quirks and a lack of particularly memorable moments.

I say this, as I'm rewatching the Freeza fight of the Namek arc, and Freeza is an absolutely fantastic villain, and the anime staff, when they do well, do a fantastic job of selling how terrifying he is as an antagonist, and I think those two aforementioned reasons are why he is such a great villain.

I think thats the reason why people warm up to characters like Hit and espicially Black in the anime. In the anime, Black has literally dozens of fantastic moments that cement him as a threat, moments that come to mind being; his entire first appearance in 47, with a special shout out to him killing Bulma, Blacks fantastic opening fight in 48, his amazing speech in 51, his entire battle with Vegeta in 56(which is easily my favourite episode of the arc), him killing Goku's family in the future etc. I believe a lot of the appeal behind Black also forms from the fact his key scenes were absurdly well executed by the anime staff. Though I don't believe the anime staff is perfect in the least, there are a handful of very clear top talents among them that do a fantastic job of nailing these key scenes. Black also has loads of interesting character quirks that give him an immediately likeable personality for an antagonist; from his consistently unshakeably calm demeanour, his obvious masochism, his obsession with beauty etc. All these things make Black a really memorable villain, however, I think Toyotaro fails to capture even half of these enjoyable qualities or moments with the character, I think only really his introduction stuck out as being anything particularly memorable, and even then, I think I would have a hard time saying it was objectively better than the anime's introduction for the character. If I were to compare how I felt about manga Black in comparison to anime Black, I would say that the manga Black is a little bit like what Cooler was to Freeza, basically a clone of the character, that had everything that made the original great stripped from them.

I feel the same thing also applies to Hit, but to a far lesser extent, since Hit is a far simpler character than Black, he has far less personality and far less screen time on a whole, so the main appeal of Hits character is how well they execute the major scenes he does have. This is something I believe the anime absolutely nails over the anime, as much as I enjoy the tournament in the manga for being more competently put together as a story, its utter failure to sell Hit as the final antagonist in an otherwise tensionless tournament really hurts it on a whole. I again mention Vegeta's fight with Hit as an establishing moment for the character, because I think it was something that was done incomparably better in the anime interpretation, and did a far better job of establishing Hit as a genuine threat. Even though I'm not particularly fond of the anime's version of the Goku vs Hit fight, it does a far stronger job at selling Hit as an imposing presence, not only through the narrative content of the fight, but also through its presentation. I think the anime also had the benefit of genuinely telling more stories with the character, with the mini assassination arc probably being my personal favourite showing for the character, and absolutely cementing his character in my mind.

On the other hand, I think Toyotaro's presentation of Hit was rather lacklustre in comparison, and even though I know Hit isn't necessarily a weak character, I think you can't blame people for thinking so, due to how sheerly underwhelming his presentation in the universe 6 tournament was, with very little at all being done in that arc, or even outside that arc, to establish or communicate Hits strength to the audience in an effective manner.

So far, I think the villain that Toyotaro has best handled thus far, has been Jiren, whom isn't necessarily that hard to improve upon considering how barebones Toei ended up making the character, and Freeza, who isn't even a manga original character, but I will give him credit for writing Freeza very much in the spirit of his original presentation. Hopefully, with so many minor antagonists in this arc, I hope his able to make at least some of them somewhat memorable, and with his improvements this arc, I feel he should definitely be able to provide a stronger characterization for the cast than Toei's attempt.