"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Torturephile
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Chapter 32:

-I definitely liked how the U6 saiyans were handled more than on the anime by a large margin, with the sole exception that we did not see Caulifla transform on-panel, but it may be explained in a later chapter. Cabba looks better with some muscles while transformed since I never liked his spaghetti arms at all. I also like how he shows some attitude like one would expect out of someone working in the army unlike his delicate self in the anime, and that he sees potential in Kale. Kale's subtle hints of potential are nice, far better than Broly tributes.

-Vegeta was more of his post-Buu saga self than in the anime, where, family stuff aside, he acted like his Cell saga self. The less "Vegeta-sama", the better for me.

-I would have liked seeing at least a bit of Goku vs. Freeza like in the anime, however. Same applies with Gohan's training.

-I would have liked seeing what the other universes were up to during their recruitment period, though it at least prevents another Nigrisshi situation, hyping the wrong characters.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:55 pm

I like Kale far better in the manga. I hate her so much in the show. Is she not going to be Broly in the manga?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:05 pm

-Chapter 32-

Okay chapter.

The Planet Sadla is much more beautiful here. Love the big moon and how the houses look. It's perfect!

Full blooded Saiyans driving vehicles like earthlings will always be weird and the Royal Army use little guns to fight is pathetic.

I'm okay with Kale only unlocking her Berserk form in ToP because it works as a shock effect, but I don't like how Caulifla got SSJ off-screen. This is rushed and it doesn't get better when I realize we are talking about the first female Saiyan to unlock SSJ here... She should have started her training in this chapter and unlock it in the next one, which I hope will focus on the other Universes.

Hopefully Toyotaro doesn't ruin Caulifla, but seems like it's just a matter of time until he does it.

He has this tendency of making new characters underwhelming that I hate.

Hit lost his composure against Goku when Goku figured out how his time skip worked, Black was Vegeta's punchbag twice and he would also lose his composure everytime something unexpected happened, Caulifla just got introduced and she was already beaten by Cabba...This is not good. At this point I'm surprised how Goku didn't overpowered Toppo.

I liked to see Caulifla interactions with the Royal Army though.

Kale seems to be able to do something useful in her base form unlike in the anime and that SSJ Cabba shot is best SSJ Cabba ever looked in both verions, so two points for him.

I'm surprised the tingly feeling in the back isn't here which is something that seemed to be from Toriyama, but with a new Movie coming about the Saiyans power and Toriyama talking about S-Cells, I won't rule it out yet.

There's no Renso here either. Not sure what's happening, because Toei didn't need to introduce Caulifla's brother if she doesn't have one in the outline. This is strange. :think:

I don't know what to expect from Gohan, when the manga currently has 32 chapters and he didn't appear in 27...
As for his gi, between Goku's and Piccolo's outfits whatever. I would rather him to have his own. I really liked the one he had in the beginning of Buu arc when he was training with Videl/Goten or the Great Saiyaman outfit version he had when he fought Dabra (with nothing covering his head).

Those ROF flashbacks just show how Toyotaro should have done one final chapter for his ROF manga version and put the 4 chapters in DBS volume 1.

Freeza's return in the anime was much better, but that was impossible to beat since we came to the point where he's better than he ever was.
I don't like how he appears in front of everyone all beaten up.

Anyway, so far the recruitment part in the manga is underwhelming compared to the anime version.

All U7 characters easily agree to join, Goku doesn't test anyone, a lot of scenes happened off-screen which means a lot of cool characters interactions are lost and nobody tried to sabotage U7 team, which makes sense to have someone play dirty like that when they are fighting for survival.

While I wasn't expecting to see stuff like Space Poachers and Yurin in the manga, I'm glad there's are more events that influenced some U7 characters to participate in the anime. After all, most of them didn't even know about the stakes until later.

In other words, everything goes as smooth as possible in the manga which makes this recruitment part boring. It hardly could get more linear than this.

This arc always felt like a last ride with the old cast before we move into EOZ (and now it's confirmed to be the last arc for now), so I'm glad Toei decided to give attention to everyone's recruitment. It sucks for Yamcha, but at least Buu had a great fight in the anime. Something that GT, Movies and DBS manga didn't gave him.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:06 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:I like Kale far better in the manga. I hate her so much in the show. Is she not going to be Broly in the manga?
Toyotaro is a Broly fan.
Feels over Reals.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:08 pm

RedHeat wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:I like Kale far better in the manga. I hate her so much in the show. Is she not going to be Broly in the manga?
Toyotaro is a Broly fan.
Also Broly ios the very reason she exists. There is no point in not making her Legendary.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:10 pm

She will probably have the LSSJ form in the manga. There is no reason to skip it.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Hopefully she has it and the way she gets it isnt dumb

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:46 pm

It was a solid chapter. I just hope Toyotaro doesn't have to rush things now that we know the show is ending. This 32nd chapter just filled the 6th volume. So it could be that the next 4 chapters will be the end... hope not.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Torturephile wrote:Chapter 32:

Cabba looks better with some muscles while transformed since I never liked his spaghetti arms at all. I also like how he shows some attitude like one would expect out of someone working in the army unlike his delicate self in the anime, and that he sees potential in Kale. Kale's subtle hints of potential are nice, far better than Broly tributes.
Cabba was an absolute treat. This was how I imagined he'd be when performing his duties. All three U6 saiyans were pretty good in this chapter. I'd still like to see them given more time to develop their abilities, instead of haphazardly running off into the tournament, but given Toriyama's goofy time constraints, this was a great way to handle all three of them. Kale was definitely a blast. I like how she's secretly already super strong in base, to the point Caulifla and Cabba couldn't even react to her speed feats. And I can't yet explain why, but I felt Caulifla was handled really well too, to the point where I understood her character and wasn't annoyed by her.
-Vegeta was more of his post-Buu saga self than in the anime, where, family stuff aside, he acted like his Cell saga self. The less "Vegeta-sama", the better for me.
I especially liked his interactions with Gohan and #17. I don't think Vegeta and #17 have even acknowledged one another in the anime.
-I would have liked seeing at least a bit of Goku vs. Freeza like in the anime, however. Same applies with Gohan's training.
Same here, especially with Gohan's training as that was a big character building moment for him and Piccolo. I prefer that Toyotaro hasn't made Gohan the leader as that amounted to nothing in the anime. I'd overall say that all the U7 members outside of Tien got better treatment in the anime though. Those episodes did give them something.
-I would have liked seeing what the other universes were up to during their recruitment period, though it at least prevents another Nigrisshi situation, hyping the wrong characters.
Yeah and it appears Toyotaro is trying to keep some measure of pacing. It's not impossible to have some good characterization IN the tournament to get you to care for the other universes. Even though Toyotaro is moving at a fast pace, I have some hope that he can handle good characterization at that pace. Look at what he did for Kale in this chapter. We already know more about her here than her anime counterpart from a few panels and nearly no dialogue. I was ambivalent on Toyotaro's storytelling abilities before, but it appears he has some talent in that area as well. I'm becoming a big fan.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:54 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Chapter 32-

Hopefully Toyotaro doesn't ruin Caulifla, but seems like it's just a matter of time until he does it.

He has this tendency of making new characters underwhelming that I hate.

Hit lost his composure against Goku when Goku figured out how his time skip worked, Black was Vegeta's punchbag twice and he would also lose his composure everytime something unexpected happened, Caulifla just got introduced and she was already beaten by Cabba...This is not good. At this point I'm surprised how Goku didn't overpowered Toppo.
Aren't you over reacting here,it make sense why Caulifla would get destroyed by a superior figther like Cabba who've just obtained Super saiyan a while ago,yeesh she didn't even lost her composure when Cabba was smacking her.Is a good thing Goku got defeated by battle smarts since Toppo is only stronger than regular SSB while a little closer to mastered SSB.
    Didn't Goku destroyed Toppo in the anime.
    Mostly active on discord.

FortuneSSJ
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm

The gr wrote: Aren't you over reacting here,it make sense why Caulifla would get destroyed by a superior figther like Cabba who've just obtained Super saiyan a while ago,yeesh she didn't even lost her composure when Cabba was smacking her.Is a good thing Goku got defeated by battle smarts since Toppo is only stronger than regular while a little closer to mastered SSB,suprised you didn't complained about Goku destroying Toppo in the anime.
    Probably because Goku was talking big and could back it up. And that fight never ended so it works in both ways:
    - Goku talks big and can back it up.
    - The audience learns Toppo is strong.
    - The fight is interrupted. Nobody wins or loses.
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:05 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Probably because Goku was talking big and could back it up. And that fight never ended so it works both aways:
    - Goku talks big and can back it up.
    - The audience learns Toppo is strong.
    - Nobody wins or loses.
    Never had a problem with Goku talking big,just saying Goku completely rekt Toppo shit when he went SSB,don't have a problem with it since Anime Jiren is quite strong and the battle was fun.I do hope Toyo keeps this up with strong foes,Manga Jiren completely destroying a mastered SSB Goku would be really good,he will break the streak of crappy villains and as well don't make him loss his composure in said battle which i'm sure we will get a special of it just with no genkidama,instead Goku will use the Mafuba or Dragon fist 8) .Also Goku vs Hit in the manga no one won and Hit didn't use his killing technique but man that battle was terrible.
    Mostly active on discord.

JulianStyles
    Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Can we discuss the manga has portrayed Krillin for who he is. A out of shape scared bitch. No wonder he will be first eliminated. Strongest Earthling my ass.

Whatever
    Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:35 pm

JulianStyles wrote:Image
    Can we discuss the manga has portrayed Krillin for who he is. A out of shape scared bitch. No wonder he will be first eliminated. Strongest Earthling my ass.
    Believe it or not,people are not that obsessed with Krillin vs Tien as you are,to the point it has taken over a huge portion of your life.
    Not like it matters who the strongest Earthling is,we know Tien is the weakest U7 member.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:19 pm

IM21 wrote:It was a solid chapter. I just hope Toyotaro doesn't have to rush things now that we know the show is ending. This 32nd chapter just filled the 6th volume. So it could be that the next 4 chapters will be the end... hope not.
    This is precisely what I'm worried about

Noah
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:46 pm

JulianStyles wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Can we discuss the manga has portrayed Krillin for who he is?
    Are you kidding? This looks terrible! Krillin looks like a freaking kid in this page! F***! Is like neither Toei or Toyotaro can age the characters decently!
    乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulianStyles
    Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Whatever wrote:
    JulianStyles wrote:Image
    Believe it or not,people are not that obsessed with Krillin vs Tien as you are,to the point it has taken over a huge portion of your life.
    Not like it matters who the strongest Earthling is,we know Tien is the weakest U7 member.
    Do I know you? And no we dont because if the manga stays with Toriyamas power scale then hes stronger than Roshi and Krillin. Toyotaro has stated he likes to balance things out. So if Krillina eliminated first do you really think Tien will contribute less? This is not Toei who has run DB into the ground twice. This is a guy who respects the product and has the creator proof reading and correcting his drafts.

Torturephile
    Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Noah wrote:
    Are you kidding? This looks terrible! Krillin looks like a freaking kid in this page! F***! Is like neither Toei or Toyotaro can age the characters decently!
    [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Whatever
    Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:10 pm

JulianStyles wrote:
    Do I know you? And no we dont because if the manga stays with Toriyamas power scale then hes stronger than Roshi and Krillin. Toyotaro has stated he likes to balance things out. So if Krillina eliminated first do you really think Tien will contribute less? This is not Toei who has run DB into the ground twice. This is a guy who respects the product and has the creator proof reading and correcting his drafts.
    You don't know me but your posts stand out,when you say the same things here and in other forums,your Tien obsessions stands out the most,its completely unhealthy.
    You don't care about a proper discussion,you just want to bash on Krillin just because its so important for you for Tien to better than him.
    What Toriyama powerscale are you talking about?Even if we only include DBZ,Toriyama has stated that Krillin is stronger than Tien.

Also you are making a lot of assumptions for a lot of things you don't know about.
    We have interviews from the interview of the directors that Toriyama is checking on the anime drafts as well,not to mention Toriyama corrects the drawing and the gags for the most part.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Noah wrote:
    It's Toriyama's fault, not Toei's or Toyo's. Toriyama's new style makes everyone look very young