"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:59 pm

emperior wrote: If you are going to mention the Great Kaioshin losing his godly power, then that is probably a different thing.
But it might not be. A lot of different terms in Dragon Ball are used interchangeably, and more importantly, we know that the Kaioshin regularly use divine ki.

I'd rather Goku and Vegeta keep their powers (mainly for macro-storytelling reasons), but let's see how it plays out.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:19 am

Ultra Instinct Being a Martial Arts Type Technique/Transformation is the best of both worlds but most importantly brings Goku Back to the core of his fundamentals as a martial artist (It would also explain why at the EOZ he never once transformed into Super Saiyan, God, or Blue) Because by then he'd have already conditioned his body so much to understand and work with UI almost like it's second Nature (I'm Sure if Goku lost his God Ki or gave it up he'd still be stronger than someone with God Ki like Beerus or Vegeta) But only if he Masters Ultra Instinct (Which I'm Sure doesn't require God Ki to reach that state or do you?)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:58 am

Noitsnothim wrote:Ultra Instinct Being a Martial Arts Type Technique/Transformation is the best of both worlds but most importantly brings Goku Back to the core of his fundamentals as a martial artist (It would also explain why at the EOZ he never once transformed into Super Saiyan, God, or Blue) Because by then he'd have already conditioned his body so much to understand and work with UI almost like it's second Nature (I'm Sure if Goku lost his God Ki or gave it up he'd still be stronger than someone with God Ki like Beerus or Vegeta) But only if he Masters Ultra Instinct (Which I'm Sure doesn't require God Ki to reach that state or do you?)
Ultra Instinct shouldn’t change Goku’s appearance once he truly masters it in my opinion, as it shouldn’t feel like a transformation. If the body learns how to move by itself, shouldn’t that always be a thing when Goku fights, as it is for Whis?
And yes, it shouldn’t require God Ki.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:04 pm

I thought about the possibility of Goku and Vegeta losing their God powers.

Really hope it doesn't happen, though.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Characters generally don't go backwards in strength in Dragon Ball so I can't imagine they'd remove the god powers. Blue also sells a lot.

I can only think of impossible ulterior motives for why anyone would want to get rid of the god powers; namely if someone with enough power at Shueisha was bent on shoehorning GT into canon and was determined to rid Dragon Ball of pretty much all the modern elements introduced since 2013. It seems highly unlikely imo that person exists at Shueisha.

They'd need to:
-get rid of the god powers
-kill Freeza for real
-re-permanently fuse Shin and Kibito
-make everyone collectively forget Beerus and Whis exist
-ditch the Trunks/Mai thing and re-age the Pilaf Gang

And possibly more that I missed.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Chuquita wrote:Characters generally don't go backwards in strength in Dragon Ball so I can't imagine they'd remove the god powers. Blue also sells a lot.

I can only think of impossible ulterior motives for why anyone would want to get rid of the god powers; namely if someone with enough power at Shueisha was bent on shoehorning GT into canon and was determined to rid Dragon Ball of pretty much all the modern elements introduced since 2013. It seems highly unlikely imo that person exists at Shueisha.

They'd need to:
-kill Freeza for real

Some characters like Gohan have gone backwards in strength, but that’s something that never happened to Goku and I don’t think it is something that should happen now, especially considering how Goku hasn’t even reached Beerus yet, who was the first to break the everlasting cycle of “the next villain/rival is stronger than the one before”.

GT becoming canon at this point is impossibile. They even started to mention the word “canon” for Super, with the most recent instance being “The new Broly is Toriyama including the movie character in the DB canon!” or something like that.
It would be like trying to fit Toei’s version of hell or other fillers which contradict later material from Toriyama.
Instead, it’s much more likely they will convince Toriyama to incorporate fan-favorite elements from GT, such as Super Saiyan 4, Baby and the Shenron villains. Which are all elements that could work.
After Broly, the next most popular thing which is still not canon is Super Saiyan 4. I don’t know how they could incorporate the form without having to give it to Goku, so there’s a possibility that it will never become canonical.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

God Gogeta

Post by God Gogeta » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:I thought about the possibility of Goku and Vegeta losing their God powers.

Really hope it doesn't happen, though.
I don't think they will loose God powers. Grand Supreme Kai used his divine powers to capture Moro, more like a magical technique. Only one person who can use magic is Majin Buu. I think it's his arc and he will get stronger and more relevant in future super arcs. Because at the end of Dragon Ball manga it's mentioned only Buu on earth can match Goku in strength. Unless Majin Buu getting stronger that's not possible. So Buu is the one who will put down Moro, as i believe he is basically Grand Supreme Kai in Pink body , he just need to remember is past.
God Gogeta

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:27 pm

emperior wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Characters generally don't go backwards in strength in Dragon Ball so I can't imagine they'd remove the god powers. Blue also sells a lot.

They'd need to:
-kill Freeza for real

Some characters like Gohan have gone backwards in strength, but that’s something that never happened to Goku and I don’t think it is something that should happen now, especially considering how Goku hasn’t even reached Beerus yet, who was the first to break the everlasting cycle of “the next villain/rival is stronger than the one before”.

GT becoming canon at this point is impossibile. They even started to mention the word “canon” for Super, with the most recent instance being “The new Broly is Toriyama including the movie character in the DB canon!” or something like that.
It would be like trying to fit Toei’s version of hell or other fillers which contradict later material from Toriyama.
Instead, it’s much more likely they will convince Toriyama to incorporate fan-favorite elements from GT, such as Super Saiyan 4, Baby and the Shenron villains. Which are all elements that could work.
After Broly, the next most popular thing which is still not canon is Super Saiyan 4. I don’t know how they could incorporate the form without having to give it to Goku, so there’s a possibility that it will never become canonical.

Freeza's the biggest reason I think the implausible theory I came up with won't happen. Toriyama seems determined to keep Freeza alive. In GT, Freeza is dead.

They kinda gave a fur-less ssj4 to Brolli in the film. He gets golden irises and more wild black hair. It's related to oozaru form.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Darkseid

Post by Darkseid » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:28 pm

emperior wrote: Some characters like Gohan have gone backwards in strength, but that’s something that never happened to Goku and I don’t think it is something that should happen now, especially considering how Goku hasn’t even reached Beerus yet, who was the first to break the everlasting cycle of “the next villain/rival is stronger than the one before”.

Why would they have to give it to Goku? He already has a Transformation to strife for: Ultra Instinct (and I'm calling it a Transformation since it changes his appearance as opposed to say Kaioken were only his Aura changes). They might as well give it to Vegeta to have him travel a different route. Actually if Broly becomes a larger part of the story going forward its probably him that would get it since there is already a basis for it (using Oozaru power in his humanoid state). It would also help differentiate him from the other Sayans. Besides Broly with God Ki would be far too OP.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Darkseid wrote:
emperior wrote: Some characters like Gohan have gone backwards in strength, but that’s something that never happened to Goku and I don’t think it is something that should happen now, especially considering how Goku hasn’t even reached Beerus yet, who was the first to break the everlasting cycle of “the next villain/rival is stronger than the one before”.

Why would they have to give it to Goku? He already has a Transformation to strife for: Ultra Instinct (and I'm calling it a Transformation since it changes his appearance as opposed to say Kaioken were only his Aura changes). They might as well give it to Vegeta to have him travel a different route. Actually if Broly becomes a larger part of the story going forward its probably him that would get it since there is already a basis for it (using Oozaru power in his humanoid state). It would also help differentiate him from the other Sayans. Besides Broly with God Ki would be far too OP.
Honestly, while writing my reply earlier, I thought of the possibility of Vegeta getting Super Saiyan 4 as his way to be on par with Goku’s Ultra Instinct, as it would fit Vegeta and the transformation could occur the same way it happened in GT (I doubt they would change it), with the control over Oozaru and it going Super Saiyan being the key to achieve the form.
Broly could get it too but I think in that case if Vegeta got it, then Broly should just keep his already unique transformation so that the three Saiyans would each reach a different form befitting of the character.

I also thought that Super Saiyan 4 itself is iconic because of how it looked on Goku, so it would be weird for him not to obtain it. But story-wise it would fit Vegeta, who in both the anime and manga has said he doesn’t want to get Ultra Instinct (the manga even went further on this, and Whis commented that Vegeta’s way wouldn’t lead to him achieving UI) so I would really like it if Vegeta was the only one to obtain SS4, with the three each mastering a different transformation.
Vegeta could also mix God Ki (SSG) with SS4 to obtain even greater power (canon SS4 could come with brown fur which turns red with God Ki, for example).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:44 am

"King Cold the Great", By Toyotaro:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2019/01/07/tr ... -image-13/

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Liquir wrote:"King Cold the Great", By Toyotaro:
I wish we saw more of him...

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:17 pm

I have recently learned that Toyotaro draws Piccolo with 5 fingers instead of 4. It is now confirmed that the DBS manga is canon to the DBZ anime. 100%.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:23 pm

MajinMan wrote:I have recently learned that Toyotaro draws Piccolo with 5 fingers instead of 4. It is now confirmed that the DBS manga is canon to the DBZ anime. 100%.
He still has 4 fingers , but nowadays , the yakuza use advanced prosthetics to hide their missing pinky
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 pm

MajinMan wrote:I have recently learned that Toyotaro draws Piccolo with 5 fingers instead of 4. It is now confirmed that the DBS manga is canon to the DBZ anime. 100%.
I know that you're joking but, fun fact, Toyo drew Piccolo with 4 fingers in DB AF. This change was certainly mandated by Shueisha as part of their ongoing effort to sanitize Dragon Ball for a modern audience.
It's just weird how inconsistent they are about it. Kame-sen'nin sexually assaulting Pu'er in the DBS anime? No problem. Four fingers on a demon alien? Unacceptable.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:56 pm

I'm sure Goku and Vegeta won't lose their god powers...

When we saw the king Piccolo and the Mafuba...Goku didn't use mafuba again to defeat Piccolo;
The remote control to deactivate the A17 and A18 was destroyed by Kuririn;
Majin Boo was sealed before. But had to be defeated by a genki dama...

Moro was defeated by Dai Kaioshin losing his god power. Now this isn't going to repeat...Maybe they try again, but Moro isn't going to be defeated 2 times with the same mode...Like young Piccolo with reverse mafuba, he is going to do something...

And now we have Beerus and Whis. In that previous fight they didn't show them...

But I do thing Moro is going to give a hard time to Beerus!
Vados Sama!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:19 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Liquir wrote:"King Cold the Great", By Toyotaro:
I wish we saw more of him...
It is a real shame, Cold suffers the narrative problem of being a total awesome character in conspet who's prevented from ever getting a chance to strut his stuff.

Reminds me a lot of Demon Lord Zennon from Devilman's Manga.

He's the most powerful of all the demons, so powerful in fact that the demon hero Amon, who the main character has fused with, is scared of him. Yet the most he dose is send a telaptthic message around the world about the return of the demons and have a chat with Satan, the angel who sided with them against God. Once Satan is on screen Zenon gets pushed into the background. And that happened for years, ever time Zenon appered in a sequal or tie-in story, the most powerful of the demons never battled anyone. Unlike Cold though Zenon got his shot at the big stage in 1999, the original manga came out in 1972, in Amon: The Dark Side of Devilman. He also became the main antaganist of Devilman G.

I hate it when awesome characters get the shaft. Hell he could have been the final boss instead of Buu. Let Frieza come to earth alone and get killed and have Cold arrive after the Android arc seeking revenge and bring a galactic armoy with him.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:56 pm

I think is the first time still on the top 50 being in his 4th week on list .
Not bad numbers considering that is an after anime , I’d like to see how it grows once it’s having unseen material on tv
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:14 pm

Lord Frieza wrote: I hate it when awesome characters get the shaft. Hell he could have been the final boss instead of Buu. Let Frieza come to earth alone and get killed and have Cold arrive after the Android arc seeking revenge and bring a galactic armoy with him.
Cold's purpose is to emphasize Freeza's traits -- to demonstrate that even compared to his own family, the latter is an insufferable scumbag and just kind of a brat.

Having Cold become the "final boss" or some shit would undermine Freeza. I don't think he should play a role beyond the one intended of him.