"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:08 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Michsi wrote: This feels like the type of hyperbolic criticism designed to make things look worse than they actually are. Piccolo's elimination was poorly handled, everything else was ok. I remember people claiming that 'lol Piccolo will be rung out in 5 minutes because he is now a joke' or 'Gohan will be carried until the end '. What they got instead was one the most impressive moments in the whole arc, and several eliminations of their own. Basically, every so called negative moment can be countered with positive ones, and Gohan isn't finished yet. It does look like he's been slowly finding his rhythm.
The trouble is they needlessly get embarrassed for no reason. Gohan shouldn't be be getting destroyed by fodders while 'holding back'.
I blame the writing/direction. Like they didn't how to show U7's power primacy without making the other universes seem like fodder. They shouldn't be steamrolling over everyone aside from Jiren, so they showed them in a bind here and there. The sniper idea was interesting, it just wasn't handled well.
Piccolo and the others focusing too much on ki was also a good idea, it just was implemented effectively. Making it embarrassing wasn't the intention, though I guess that kinda makes it worse.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Michsi wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Michsi wrote: This feels like the type of hyperbolic criticism designed to make things look worse than they actually are. Piccolo's elimination was poorly handled, everything else was ok. I remember people claiming that 'lol Piccolo will be rung out in 5 minutes because he is now a joke' or 'Gohan will be carried until the end '. What they got instead was one the most impressive moments in the whole arc, and several eliminations of their own. Basically, every so called negative moment can be countered with positive ones, and Gohan isn't finished yet. It does look like he's been slowly finding his rhythm.
The trouble is they needlessly get embarrassed for no reason. Gohan shouldn't be be getting destroyed by fodders while 'holding back'.
I blame the writing/direction. Like they didn't how to show U7's power primacy without making the other universes seem like fodder. They shouldn't be steamrolling over everyone aside from Jiren, so they showed them in a bind here and there. The sniper idea was interesting, it just wasn't handled well.
Piccolo and the others focusing too much on ki was also a good idea, it just was implemented effectively. Making it embarrassing wasn't the intention, though I guess that kinda makes it worse.
I'm well aware that it's due to incompetent writing, but ultimately characters are what they're written as and thus end up looking totally incompetent compared to their DB incarnations.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:19 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:It was implied that if Gohan didn't catch on Freeza would have just owned him. Besides, you think Freeza would struggle nearly as much as Gohan did against those Namekians? It'd be a repeat of what he did on Namek.
That implication was made on the basis of when Freeza first attacked Gohan, while Gohan was in his base form. Of course, in that regard, yes, Final Form Freeza could have killed Gohan.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:It was implied that if Gohan didn't catch on Freeza would have just owned him. Besides, you think Freeza would struggle nearly as much as Gohan did against those Namekians? It'd be a repeat of what he did on Namek.
That implication was made on the basis of when Freeza first attacked Gohan, while Gohan was in his base form. Of course, in that regard, yes, Final Form Freeza could have killed Gohan.
Unless Gohan suddenly lost the ability to transform, it should hold for their full power.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:02 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
Noah wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
Pretty much in the entirety of Super. UI Goku surpassed him but I'm pretty sure Vegeta will claim that form as well and be his equal once more.
Oh sure, like Kaioken is not a thing right? Goku being capable of increasing his power as SSJB not just 2x but 20x is a thing Vegeta also can do, right? I probably missed that part.
Well the Kaio-Ken is a plot device, mainly, but still it's a technique with a high risk/reward factor.

The fact remains that SSB Vegeta is equal to SSB Goku in terms of strength and speed.
The kaioken WAS a risk/reward factor, now goku can easily access kaioken on blue without any risks.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:03 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Unless Gohan suddenly lost the ability to transform, it should hold for their full power.
It can't. By the time they transformed, they were both fully putting on the act that Freeza had betrayed Universe 7 and that they were fighting at full power, when they weren't.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:16 pm

17's motivation is kinda odd for me. Couldn't he just ask goku to gather the dragonballs and wish for 100 more of those minotaur creatures so they don't become extinct

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: That implication was made on the basis of when Freeza first attacked Gohan, while Gohan was in his base form. Of course, in that regard, yes, Final Form Freeza could have killed Gohan.
It can't. By the time they transformed, they were both fully putting on the act that Freeza had betrayed Universe 7 and that they were fighting at full power, when they weren't.
But even after that Kuririn says that Freeza probably would have betrayed them if Gohan didn't realize his plan which means that Freeza could have beaten Gohan for real if he wanted.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:28 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:17's motivation is kinda odd for me. Couldn't he just ask goku to gather the dragonballs and wish for 100 more of those minotaur creatures so they don't become extinct
I doubt the Dragon Balls can create beings into existence out of thin air just like they can't wish back beings that have died of natural deaths.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:33 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:17's motivation is kinda odd for me...
In the manga still just he just wanting to have a boat?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:35 pm

also the whole 17 knows goku's voice but not his face is bogus 2 me. Gero created those androids specifically to kill goku, so why wouldn't his picture be in the databanks in their memories? 16 knew everything about goku and 19 had no trouble figuring who goku was

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:40 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote: Unless Gohan suddenly lost the ability to transform, it should hold for their full power.
But even after that Kuririn says that Freeza probably would have betrayed them if Gohan didn't realize his plan which means that Freeza could have beaten Gohan for real if he wanted.
No, it doesn't. It just means that Freeza could have went full turncoat. That doesn't equate to Freeza being stronger than Gohan. Whether Freeza could have beaten Gohan at full power is left ambiguous.
Noah wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:17's motivation is kinda odd for me...
In the manga still just he just wanting to have a boat?
Yes.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Noah wrote:In the manga still just he just wanting to have a boat?
Yes.
Yea, still a pretty lame motivation. He could just gatter the Earth DB to wish himself one.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: It can't. By the time they transformed, they were both fully putting on the act that Freeza had betrayed Universe 7 and that they were fighting at full power, when they weren't.
No, it doesn't. It just means that Freeza could have went full turncoat. That doesn't equate to Freeza being stronger than Gohan. Whether Freeza could have beaten Gohan at full power is left ambiguous.
I really doubt Freeza would foolishly get himself killed yet again, he must have been able to win if he was willing to try it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:57 pm

Noah wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Noah wrote:In the manga still just he just wanting to have a boat?
Yes.
Yea, still a pretty lame motivation. He could just gatter the Earth DB to wish himself one.
He says he doesn't have the time for it.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Satan got Trump on speed dial. "Fake news."
Krillin needs a house cam, what's up with his Ki sensing? :lol:
"17 is still very powerful...If he were still our enemy I'd be very worried."
This line alone should justify how 17 is in the upper echelon. Even with god powers 17 is something to fret over.

17 hearing Goku's voice while inside of Cell isn't strange. However I thought it would of been better if he heard Goku's voice when using the Genki dama to finish off Buu when speaking ot the earth. Or was it Vegeta's and Satan's voice the only thing earth heard?

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Noah wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Yes.
I can't believe Goku would waste a Super DB wish on that when he could gather the Earth or Namek sets in an instant.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:00 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Noah wrote:
I can't believe Goku would waste a Super DB wish on that when he could gather the Earth or Namek sets in an instant.
I don't think Goku really cares.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Doctor. wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:I can't believe Goku would waste a Super DB wish on that when he could gather the Earth or Namek sets in an instant.
So you would think Goku cares more about giving 17 a boat than bringing back those who were erased? Wow
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Doctor. wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Doctor. wrote: He says he doesn't have the time for it.
Eventually he's going to have to screw 17 over once he decides he wants to wish the other universes back. Also, he's likely going to make the same promise when he meets Freeza as well.