"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Duo
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Duo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Gohan with his Piccolo outfit on? Count me in.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:43 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote: While he does sound like a fanboy,I think he's right.

Goten is pretty much created in order to have around a kid Goku and his only real usage is through Gotenks(I love Gotenks but that's beside the point)

Gohan on the other hand,is pretty much developed and he is still developing,with him now being a family man trying to protect his loved ones.
Gohan was originally created as the "Kid character" too. They just actually put effort into developing him, unlike Goten. Yeah, half the reason he was made was probably make Gotenks, but still. Goten never got the chance to develop at all because they don't know what to do with him.

Goten is a kid still (13) so using "Gohan is a family man, Goten isn't" just makes me raise an eyebrow. Gohan fans have ZERO reason to complain. Goten gets nothing from Toei and Bandai and still gets slammed for not being developed. Trunks got development in Black arc while Goten was nowhere to be seen.

Plus, Gohan was around from the beginning of Z and we watched his growth. Goten was introduced in the Buu Saga (2/3rds through Z) and even with Super they never even give him time in filler episodes to develop. All I'm saying is it's really unfair to flat out say Gohan > Goten.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Totamo wrote: No, I get you, but you don't get me. What you are basically doing is justifying Goku's actions in the Buu saga as well as the cell saga, just like people who justify his actions in super.
First I never was talking about the Cell Saga and of course I'm going to justify or defend his actions a little because he had solid reasoning and attention to detail, unlike in Super where he is a absent minded idiot. Plus you're missing the point entirely, when look at the motives behind his actions in Buu Saga you would see they were out of thoughtfulness instead of selfishness.

But you have to look at the results of said actions and what they do. You can't give Goku points for theories or ideas when they end up in disaster. Thats the definition of reckless. Not thinking or caring about the results. Goku never once thought what would happen if this doesn't work or if it backfires.
Of course if plans don't go way there post too, it takes points away, but that doesn't mean it was ever reckless. Recklessness means lack of regard of danger or ones consequences, I would say in the Buu Saga Goku was anything but reckless. As even thought up of a plan to Kill Babidi so Goten and Trunks can have more time to learn fusion, and again some elements were out of his control entirely.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote: While he does sound like a fanboy,I think he's right.

Goten is pretty much created in order to have around a kid Goku and his only real usage is through Gotenks(I love Gotenks but that's beside the point)

Gohan on the other hand,is pretty much developed and he is still developing,with him now being a family man trying to protect his loved ones.
Gohan was originally created as the "Kid character" too. They just actually put effort into developing him, unlike Goten. Yeah, half the reason he was made was probably make Gotenks, but still. Goten never got the chance to develop at all because they don't know what to do with him.

Goten is a kid still (13) so using "Gohan is a family man, Goten isn't" just makes me raise an eyebrow. Gohan fans have ZERO reason to complain. Goten gets nothing from Toei and Bandai and still gets slammed for not being developed. Trunks got development in Black arc while Goten was nowhere to be seen.

Plus, Gohan was around from the beginning of Z and we watched his growth. Goten was introduced in the Buu Saga (2/3rds through Z) and even with Super they never even give him time in filler episodes to develop. All I'm saying is it's really unfair to flat out say Gohan > Goten.
Well yeah it would be a little unfair to compare them but their similar qualities is what makes the fans to compare the 2.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:29 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Totamo wrote: No, I get you, but you don't get me. What you are basically doing is justifying Goku's actions in the Buu saga as well as the cell saga, just like people who justify his actions in super.
First I never was talking about the Cell Saga and of course I'm going to justify or defend his actions a little because he had solid reasoning and attention to detail, unlike in Super where he is a absent minded idiot. Plus you're missing the point entirely, when look at the motives behind his actions in Buu Saga you would see they were out of thoughtfulness instead of selfishness.

But you have to look at the results of said actions and what they do. You can't give Goku points for theories or ideas when they end up in disaster. Thats the definition of reckless. Not thinking or caring about the results. Goku never once thought what would happen if this doesn't work or if it backfires.
Of course if plans don't go way there post too, it takes points away, but that doesn't mean it was ever reckless. Recklessness means lack of regard of danger or ones consequences, I would say in the Buu Saga Goku was anything but reckless. As even thought up of a plan to Kill Babidi so Goten and Trunks can have more time to learn fusion, and again some elements were out of his control entirely.
No not really. Most of his actions in both Z and Super are pretty unjustifiable and for his own purely selfish reasons.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:00 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:

Reckless is of no thought into consequences of actions. Goku never thought what would happen if something went wrong. What would happen if Vegeta came back to Earth and blew up the planet from space out of vengeance after Goku allowed him to escape just to fight him again. What would happen if Freeza's full power overwhelmed him after he allowed him to go to full power. What would happen if the androids were the actual right ones and murdered everyone after Goku was the biggest voice i not going after Gero. What would happen if 16 wasn't there?

You said he had thought in Z, but all of his plans could have EASILY gone wrong with one action that anyone could have guessed if they really thought about it.

Its the same thing with Vegeta and the 18 scene. Trunks told him what if he is stronger and its why Goku freaked out when Piccolo told him what if Gohan can't unlock the power.

Because the answers to all those what ifs are only 2 words: We die.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 am

I don't see any problem with this line at all.Vegeta being a hypocritical jerk that's so much out of character.
About the goku I would say that manga just put it bluntly unlike anime.Why?In anime goku is corrected by chichi that he was dead when black was born.Then we have another scene in which goku and whis ask vegeta why is he not coming for training when bulma is going to give birth?So basically in both mediums goku doesn't care to be around his child's birth so it doesn't matter if he was there or not.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 am

At least they explained that SSB is just a powered up SSG

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:02 am

Finally, some statement on SSJB. A powered up version of SSJB and it must not even be that great of a power up. It's probably not even a 3x SSG Difference. Though completed Blue is probably 4-5x SSG in my opinion. Loved this slice of life chapter and Beerus' interaction with Vegeta and Goku. If the manga was animated instead, I wouldn't complain. Though I wonder how he will handle Freeza and Kale.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:48 am

So Viz fucked up again.
Beerus: "At this rate, it'll take you a million years to become my rival."

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 am

Oh, man. I'm reading the translated chapter. I liked the pictures before, but reading it makes a huge difference. It's not good, it's fucking amazing! Toyotaro is a master!!

Goku's part with the bandits and the police, everything it's so Goku. So he gets the bounty money for Chichi and he can go to train with Whis from then on.

So we see Vegeta training with Whis. Meanwhile, Beerus wants to go to sleep, but the oracle fish's words about the saiyans becoming his rivals in the future make him nervous and he decides to fight Vegeta instead. The fight improves a lot understanding their words too, it's a really good fight. The art, the words, the expressions and the complete choreography. Beerus notices Vegeta has improved, but it's still an easy fight for him and beats him. Vegeta goes master, he is equal to Goku now, he gets to hit him in the face and Beerus gets angry, so he stomps him against the ground. Then Whis gets his sceptre and sees Goku's call, which joins with Vegeta was saying about leaving the trainings for a while because his doughter will be born soon.

The fat or pregnancy joke issue. It's not that Goku doesn't know what a pregnancy is. Well, he doesn't recognize it at first, but when Bulma reminds him he gets it. He doesn't reference not knowing about Chichi's pregnanchy with Gohan then, like it looked for what I was reading in this thread. It's later when speaking with Vegeta that he just says he wasn't there for the birth of his sons and that he doesn't understand why he should be. It's just his naive view on the world, his social manners are quite special, that's all. Whis doesn't understand what's all that about either.

So Goku leaves with Whis. He has to start over the training, but he remembers about the tournament. He doesn't listen to the warnings and pushes the button.

Woaa, the chapter was great! I wish there weren't leaks and we got the full translated version at once. It is great anyway, I'm sure it's gonna continue fine and that we'll get the exhibition matches, there is no rushing here. The recruitments, that's probably not going to be very long, but I wish it was, because it would be great.

Another important note, Beerus says Vegeta could be a candidate for other universe. As I understand it, some of the other hakaishins may be weaker than Beerus and around Vegeta's level. I think it's also possible to become a god of destruction of other universe that you don't belong to, but that was implied, because Beerus and Champa are brothers and they rule in different universes now.
Last edited by Basako on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heno heno kappa!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:57 am

Xeztin wrote:Finally, some statement on SSJB. A powered up version of SSJB and it must not even be that great of a power up. It's probably not even a 3x SSG Difference. Though completed Blue is probably 4-5x SSG in my opinion. Loved this slice of life chapter and Beerus' interaction with Vegeta and Goku. If the manga was animated instead, I wouldn't complain. Though I wonder how he will handle Freeza and Kale.
Didn't we know this already since the U6 arc?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 am

Doctor. wrote:
Xeztin wrote:Finally, some statement on SSJB. A powered up version of SSJB and it must not even be that great of a power up. It's probably not even a 3x SSG Difference. Though completed Blue is probably 4-5x SSG in my opinion. Loved this slice of life chapter and Beerus' interaction with Vegeta and Goku. If the manga was animated instead, I wouldn't complain. Though I wonder how he will handle Freeza and Kale.
Not in the manga I don't think it was ever mentioned. They marveled at the return of SSG but that was about it. Nothing about power. It was obvious that SSJB was stronger but we didn't know by how much.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 am

What a nice chapter.

It's a nice fresh start from the last arc. I'm happy we are given "on-screen" progression to Vegeta instead of, "look now Vegeta has this", in the middle of the tournament. It's also nice to see Beerus fighting again, it's been forever.
The fighting wasn't anything special, still fun though.

Goku was very well characterized in this chapter. Him not recognizing Bulma was pregnant, that's his oblivious nature coming through no reason for to people to make a big deal out of it.
How wholesome was to see him laughing together with the bandits, I had a clear picture from Kid Goku in my mind at that moment. :D

Regarding the controversial line. Vegeta's owns calling Goku a bad parent from his actions throughout the chapter, it's beyond obvious. He stops his training to go back to Bulma, what that means to him is aggravated by his motivation to improve himself and not lagging behind Goku, who is hopping back into training while Vegeta is sacrificing his goal momentary for his family.

But like I said before, we already know Goku isn't a great family man, the redundancy isn't necessary.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 am

Jigurashi wrote: No not really. Most of his actions in both Z and Super are pretty unjustifiable and for his own purely selfish reasons.
I'm just talking about the Buu Saga nothing else, go to page 838.
Totamo wrote:
You said he had thought in Z, but all of his plans could have EASILY gone wrong with one action that anyone could have guessed if they really thought about it.

Its the same thing with Vegeta and the 18 scene. Trunks told him what if he is stronger and its why Goku freaked out when Piccolo told him what if Gohan can't unlock the power.

Because the answers to all those what ifs are only 2 words: We die.
I'm just talking about the Buu Saga, nothing else. I don't know why you keep bringing other story arcs into this because I have no interest of discussing them. This may be probably due to poor wording on my part or maybe something else, because from the start I thought it was clear what the topic of discussion was.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:24 am

I have not read the chapter yet. So, is SSB a variation of SSG, like SSJ2 and 3 are for SSJ?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:03 am

Decent chapter.

Pretty much played out the events like in the anime, but with a few extra touches. I enjoyed Vegeta fighting Beerus and how there is more emphasis that Goku and Vegeta will indeed catch up to Beerus one day. Despite Beerus absolutely owning MSSJB Vegeta and stating that it would take a million years before he became his rival at this stage

Goku taking the people who tried to robe with to the polic and getting a cash reward for it was very good. But I still found the pregnancy joke unfunny and the fact that Goku didn't know when Gohan and Goten were born just extremely unnecessary.

I prefer the immense tension and more serious tone with how Goku wanted press the Zeno Button and and visit Zeno to remind him about the tournament in the anime. The manga got the same point across, but I wanted the moment to feel a bit more dramatic considering it kick-starts the entire plot.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:13 am

Xeztin wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Not in the manga I don't think it was ever mentioned. They marveled at the return of SSG but that was about it. Nothing about power. It was obvious that SSJB was stronger but we didn't know by how much.
We knew it was stronger than SSB Vegeta at 10%, so that means that full-power SSB in comparison couldn't have been more than 8-9x stronger.
Last edited by Doctor. on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:15 am

Doctor. wrote:
Xeztin wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Didn't we know this already since the U6 arc?
We knew it was stronger than SSB Vegeta at 10%, so that means that full-power SSB was in comparison couldn't have been more than 8-9x stronger.
That's true though 8-9x should have been enough to defeat Beerus easily with SSJB, even 8-9x is a bit unworldly. Either that or Beerus keeps getting stronger.