Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:12 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:I feel vindicated in my theory that SSG just isn't very strong in new material, especially since the manga version entirely excluded most of the hype it got (e.g. no "fusion wouldn't work against Beerus" line). Even ignoring anime-only sequences as typical Toei nonsense, we have:

-SS1 Goku outperforming "less than 10%" SSB Vegeta against Hit in the manga (knowing about the time skip ahead of time only explains so much).

-Base Vegetto injuring an on-guard Fused Zamasu in the manga (which fits well with the anime-only base Kefla being stronger than SSG Goku).

-Gohan getting to nearly SSG level despite explicitly only regaining the power he lost from the Buu arc in both the manga and anime.

-SS Gogeta apparently being stronger by far than SSB Goku in the new movie.

If not for the events of BoG and ROF, which may very well have been retconned (at least some of it definitely was, like Beerus using 70% against SSG Goku in the movie and 10% against SS2 Vegeta in the anime or Beerus being threatened by SSB Goku and Vegeta working together), I don't think anyone would rate SSG as very strong.
I like your profile pic, wish we saw that level of detail in modern day dragon ball (the manga does it, but wish the anime and movies did it).....

I think I agree. In the anime, ssj god is pretty much a joke. But in the manga, ssj god is still pretty hype. They go out of their way to show ssj god as being FAR above ssj forms, (look at toppo, kai zamasu, future trunks even hit). However, I do think that "ssj god being stronger then fusion" has been retconned, though it was never stated TBH, it was just only implied.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:13 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:But in the manga, ssj god is still pretty hype. They go out of their way to show ssj god as being FAR above ssj forms
Has Super Saiyan God ever actually won a fight outside of cheap shotting Trunks in the manga?

Its best showing was probably in the anime when it was shown to have an advantage over Kale and Caulifla otherwise it's pretty useless.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:02 am

I’m going to be brutally honest here, I not a fan of keeping Beerus above Goku and co, mainly because I hate much Super has protrayed him as an unlikelable prick.

Had Beerus’ personality been a little more closer to his Movie!BoG self, would have no problem with him staying on top, Super prortayal of the character just makes me want someone to reign him in as soon as possible.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 am

Bullza wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote:But in the manga, ssj god is still pretty hype. They go out of their way to show ssj god as being FAR above ssj forms
Has Super Saiyan God ever actually won a fight outside of cheap shotting Trunks in the manga?

Its best showing was probably in the anime when it was shown to have an advantage over Kale and Caulifla otherwise it's pretty useless.
Um, SSG Vegeta vs. SSR Black. SSG Goku vs. Zamas.

If you want to count "showings", SSG Goku destroyed Beerus's huge attack in the manga and SSG Goku overpowered Hit before he activated his max power.

Did you read the manga?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:29 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:I feel vindicated in my theory that SSG just isn't very strong in new material, especially since the manga version entirely excluded most of the hype it got (e.g. no "fusion wouldn't work against Beerus" line). Even ignoring anime-only sequences as typical Toei nonsense, we have:

-SS1 Goku outperforming "less than 10%" SSB Vegeta against Hit in the manga (knowing about the time skip ahead of time only explains so much).

-Base Vegetto injuring an on-guard Fused Zamasu in the manga (which fits well with the anime-only base Kefla being stronger than SSG Goku).

-Gohan getting to nearly SSG level despite explicitly only regaining the power he lost from the Buu arc in both the manga and anime.

-SS Gogeta apparently being stronger by far than SSB Goku in the new movie.

If not for the events of BoG and ROF, which may very well have been retconned (at least some of it definitely was, like Beerus using 70% against SSG Goku in the movie and 10% against SS2 Vegeta in the anime or Beerus being threatened by SSB Goku and Vegeta working together), I don't think anyone would rate SSG as very strong.
About the Base Vegetto thing, you do realize that Blue Goku also put a hole through Zamas when he should be at less than 10% power because Goku had already transformed. Zamas just isn't that durable.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Bergamo wrote:Um, SSG Vegeta vs. SSR Black. SSG Goku vs. Zamas.

If you want to count "showings", SSG Goku destroyed Beerus's huge attack in the manga and SSG Goku overpowered Hit before he activated his max power.
Aside from stopping Beerus' attack all those are somewhat useless. Vegeta never really fought as a Super Saiyan God he just used it to quickly transform into Super Saiyan Blue which was being of any use.

Goku used it on Zamasu but he was said to be weaker than Trunks so Goku could have used Super Saiyan 3 or something.

And overpowering a non full power Hit isn't Impressive either.

Has Super Saiyan God ever beaten anybody in any version? Not overpowered but actually beat someone fully not including the cheap move he did on Trunks.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Alright, so it seems like Broly is not going to be covered in the Super manga. That implies that movie, or something very close to it, is in-continuity with the manga, as the promotional material says the next arc in the manga will follow the Broly movie. With that in mind, I definitely think that SSG's power has been retconned to maybe Ultimate Gohan level rather than being a monster superior to a SS3 fusion as was implied in the anime. Base Vegetto > SSG Goku, Base Kefla > SSG Goku, and Gohan explicitly using the same power as in the Buu arc in the ToP (at least at the beginning) all heavily implied this. SS Gogeta > SSB Goku/Vegeta in the new movie basically confirms it. At the very least the boost from base to SSG is 100% confirmed as lesser than the boost from base to SS fusion... and keeping in mind that Goten and Trunks individually were at least stronger than #18 yet SS3 Gotenks was weaker than Ultimate Gohan, that really does put a hard limit on SSG retroactively.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:54 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:With that in mind, I definitely think that SSG's power has been retconned to maybe Ultimate Gohan level rather than being a monster superior to a SS3 fusion as was implied in the anime.
Goku mentions during the manga's exhibition match that it's on a different level entirely than all the previous Super Saiyan forms, and both Helles and Geene were astonished by its power. Whether you think it's as strong as a hypothetical SS3 Vegito is up to you, but I'd say it's easily stronger than Buu arc Ultimate Gohan or any form of Buu.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Gohan at the start of the ToP was stated to be way stronger than he used to be. It was he had achieved unprecedented power.

I do think ssg and ssb are overrated in terms of multipliers, its not billions/trillions like people throw out their but at the bare minimum ssg goku (BoG) > buu saga super vegetto.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:28 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:Gohan at the start of the ToP was stated to be way stronger than he used to be. It was he had achieved unprecedented power.

I do think ssg and ssb are overrated in terms of multipliers, its not billions/trillions like people throw out their but at the bare minimum ssg goku (BoG) > buu saga super vegetto.
I do not like using numbers and multipliers, but I believe that the power up that SSG and SSB give the user can be quite absurd if they are pictured correctly.

In the manga, the SSG was portrayed in a completely different way from the previous transformations. While Goku SSJ3 could not even follow Toppo, Goku SSG was able to face him, even with Toppo activating his divine Ki. This form also surprised some GoDs.
Still in the manga, during FT saga, Vegeta trained to the point where his SSG form was able to face Black SSJ Rosé (even with that strategy of switching between God - Blue).

In the anime, Goku SSG tired was being defeated by Kefla base. But when he turned SSB (still tired), he was able to match Kefla SSJ (at his maximum power). Just to remember, Kale with SSJ Berserker (controlled) was able to face Goku SSG for a while, so the power up that Kale received was higher than SSJ3. But this form, in Kefla, was not enough to overcome the power up that the Blue gave in relation only to the tired God (not the base form, like Kefla). So, the power up that this form grants in relation to the base form is much greater.

The problem is that TOEI (mostly) most often does not portray the power of divine forms properly

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:With that in mind, I definitely think that SSG's power has been retconned to maybe Ultimate Gohan level rather than being a monster superior to a SS3 fusion as was implied in the anime.
Goku mentions during the manga's exhibition match that it's on a different level entirely than all the previous Super Saiyan forms, and both Helles and Geene were astonished by its power. Whether you think it's as strong as a hypothetical SS3 Vegito is up to you, but I'd say it's easily stronger than Buu arc Ultimate Gohan or any form of Buu.
That scene always came off as odd to me. Iwne outright says that SSG is on the same level as the gods in that scene, yet CSSB is strong enough to one-shot SSG (if Merged Zamasu is any indication) and is still considered far inferior to the GoDs. In my opinion they're just saying it's a lot stronger than his other forms (which it is) and that it has godly ki. And Goku isn't wrong to say it's on a different level than his previous forms- even if it's only as strong as Ultimate Gohan from the Buu arc, that still means the absolute difference in power between SSG Goku and SS3 Goku is multiple times greater than the difference between Mr. Satan and SS3 Goku.

The idea of it being stronger than Gohan-Buu runs into the hard caps that are base Vegetto, SS Gogeta, and an explicitly-not-any-stronger-than Ultimate Gohan. Plus maybe SS Goku vs Hit. At this point I honestly think that its initial power has either been retconned (just like Beerus's 70% statement or his statement that it was absorbed into Goku's base) or was the result of a Toei Energy Sharing moment.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:12 pm

How strong is SSJ4 Goku in relation to the Super characters? Would he even make into the Top of Super characters? Who is the strongest he could? Also, what about SSJ4 Gogeta?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:14 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Alright, so it seems like Broly is not going to be covered in the Super manga. That implies that movie, or something very close to it, is in-continuity with the manga, as the promotional material says the next arc in the manga will follow the Broly movie. With that in mind, I definitely think that SSG's power has been retconned to maybe Ultimate Gohan level rather than being a monster superior to a SS3 fusion as was implied in the anime. Base Vegetto > SSG Goku, Base Kefla > SSG Goku, and Gohan explicitly using the same power as in the Buu arc in the ToP (at least at the beginning) all heavily implied this. SS Gogeta > SSB Goku/Vegeta in the new movie basically confirms it. At the very least the boost from base to SSG is 100% confirmed as lesser than the boost from base to SS fusion... and keeping in mind that Goten and Trunks individually were at least stronger than #18 yet SS3 Gotenks was weaker than Ultimate Gohan, that really does put a hard limit on SSG retroactively.
I wouldn't call it a retcon. SSJGod being stronger than a godless Vegetto is absolute fact. It was to portray the level of god power.
However, a god powered Vegetto > non fused god character. Even a tired Goku Blue was able to go head up with a fusion in Kefla for a minute.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:35 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: The idea of it being stronger than Gohan-Buu runs into the hard caps that are base Vegetto, SS Gogeta, and an explicitly-not-any-stronger-than Ultimate Gohan. Plus maybe SS Goku vs Hit. At this point I honestly think that its initial power has either been retconned (just like Beerus's 70% statement or his statement that it was absorbed into Goku's base) or was the result of a Toei Energy Sharing moment.
Honestly, I think it's more a case of the fusion goalposts being moved rather than Super Saiyan God's specifically. Ultimate Gohan reobtains his original strength while training with Piccolo, but then he keeps training and is implied to go beyond that; Piccolo also mentions during the manga's Tournament of Power that Gohan is stronger than he ever has been. Meanwhile, the fusions always seem to be stronger in their base forms than the fusees are in their most powerful forms.

Perhaps it's the case that fusion itself doesn't have a static multiplier, possibly accounting for their components in their strongest states instead.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm

Bullza wrote:

Aside from stopping Beerus' attack all those are somewhat useless. Vegeta never really fought as a Super Saiyan God he just used it to quickly transform into Super Saiyan Blue which was being of any use.

Goku used it on Zamasu but he was said to be weaker than Trunks so Goku could have used Super Saiyan 3 or something.

Has Super Saiyan God ever beaten anybody in any version? Not overpowered but actually beat someone fully not including the cheap move he did on Trunks.
I'm glad you've decided to ignore large parts of the manga. SSG was a clear major plot element at several points in the story, but let's just forget about that.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:00 am

Marlowe89 wrote:Meanwhile, the fusions always seem to be stronger in their base forms than the fusees are in their most powerful forms.

Perhaps it's the case that fusion itself doesn't have a static multiplier, possibly accounting for their components in their strongest states instead.
Pretty much this. Throughout the series, we have never really seen a Base fusion be weaker than the most powerful form of the fusees. Whether it be Kefla, Vegetto, Gotenks, and now Gogeta, it always seems to be the case. The logical extension is it could be that the fusion is a dynamic boost depending on the transformations that the fusees are capable of.

I certainly don't think SSG~Buu arc Ultimate Gohan is founded in reality.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:04 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote: The idea of it being stronger than Gohan-Buu runs into the hard caps that are base Vegetto, SS Gogeta, and an explicitly-not-any-stronger-than Ultimate Gohan. Plus maybe SS Goku vs Hit. At this point I honestly think that its initial power has either been retconned (just like Beerus's 70% statement or his statement that it was absorbed into Goku's base) or was the result of a Toei Energy Sharing moment.
Honestly, I think it's more a case of the fusion goalposts being moved rather than Super Saiyan God's specifically. Ultimate Gohan reobtains his original strength while training with Piccolo, but then he keeps training and is implied to go beyond that; Piccolo also mentions during the manga's Tournament of Power that Gohan is stronger than he ever has been. Meanwhile, the fusions always seem to be stronger in their base forms than the fusees are in their most powerful forms.

I might agree with that if not for the other indications that SSG isn't very strong anymore. What's absolutely undeniable is that its power has been retconned to be much lower than it was. By how much is the real question- I just think the fusion comparisons meld really well with it capping out at Ultimate Gohan level or so. Also manga Vegeta's fight with Hit.

As for Gohan, there's not really any time for him to get stronger in the anime and he's clearly stated to have only "regained his sense of battle" in the manga. He is basically said to not be any stronger than he was in the Buu arc, yet this is enough for him to take punches from SSB. Of course in the manga he's also said to grow stronger during the fight with Kefla, but that only explains so much (especially since he of course deflected her blast before the fight started and Piccolo already said he was a relevant fighter next to the best of them before they even entered the tournament).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 am

Bergamo wrote:
Bullza wrote:

I'm glad you've decided to ignore large parts of the manga. SSG was a clear major plot element at several points in the story, but let's just forget about that.
Nice rebuttal there, mate... :|
The dude is right, ssj god most impressive feat was against berrus in bog arc (in the anime), and since then ssj god hasn't done anything special in terms of winning a fight by itself. However, it is still an impressive form in the manga and is involved in key plot points, even if it's not kicking the butt of the strongest dude on the show.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:51 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:As for Gohan, there's not really any time for him to get stronger in the anime and he's clearly stated to have only "regained his sense of battle" in the manga. He is basically said to not be any stronger than he was in the Buu arc, yet this is enough for him to take punches from SSB.
There's really no reason to believe he is actually as strong as he was in the Buu arc when he fights Goku in the anime. That's just unfounded.

1. Gohan achieved his Ultimate state, and then trained overnight with Piccolo and had the little speech about breaking his limits/reaching new heights. Doesn't make a ton of sense that he would get enormous gains in less than a day but that's kind of the character.
2. "The power you had during the Buu arc" could simply be referring to the "power" being the Ultimate state itself. It wouldn't make much sense for him to be weaker than Buu arc Ultimate Gohan considering he had been training since RoF.

Either one or both of these are true but it ultimately is nonsensical to conclude that Buu arc Ultimate Gohan~ToP SSB Goku.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:58 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

I might agree with that if not for the other indications that SSG isn't very strong anymore. What's absolutely undeniable is that its power has been retconned to be much lower than it was. By how much is the real question- I just think the fusion comparisons meld really well with it capping out at Ultimate Gohan level or so. Also manga Vegeta's fight with Hit.

As for Gohan, there's not really any time for him to get stronger in the anime and he's clearly stated to have only "regained his sense of battle" in the manga. He is basically said to not be any stronger than he was in the Buu arc, yet this is enough for him to take punches from SSB. Of course in the manga he's also said to grow stronger during the fight with Kefla, but that only explains so much (especially since he of course deflected her blast before the fight started and Piccolo already said he was a relevant fighter next to the best of them before they even entered the tournament).
The manga does show that SSJG was extraordinary in the fight with Toppo. The multiplier from SSJ-3 was called useless by Goku, and a waste of time by Toppo, but even after that he was still confident that he would basically whollop Toppo when he became God, and warns him by stating “it’s an entirely different level, so don’t regret it”
The transformations being totally “useless” genuinely surprised Goku, but even though he called the prior transformations power useless he still knew that SSJG was worthy of a warning, in fact it was so powerful, that it jumped past the “useless”, and “waste of time” transformations by an insane margin, that the goalpost that is Toppo, that couldn’t be closed in on in the slightest between those forms was then immediately surpassed, by such a margin that Toppo has to reveal his true power just to stay even.

Also, the matter of Gohans strength in the manga is awkward. Kefla was no where near FP as she was made up of an incapacitated Kale, and a weakened Caulifla, and as we saw in the Zamasu arc the fusion needs to eat a Senzu to recover their power. Also, we know that Gohan was training prior to this in the manga, so his power would’ve stayed up. In the fight with Kefla Piccolo states that Gohan regained his “battle sense in the brief time” which would make sense, as Gohan training solo in the gravity chamber after not training for so long prior would probably lead to him regaining his power at the least because of how gifted he is, as is shown in the Kefla fight. Losing his skill in battle is probably unavoidable, after not training at all for a while, and then picking up again without any simulated combat, so Piccolos statement doesn’t really contradict anything.
Gohan also managed to grow stronger than ever during the fight with Kefla, but that doesn’t mean he only regained his Buu arc/BoG arc level of power prior to the tourney with all of his Gravity training. It’s still awkward to know where to place him really.

So we truly don’t know how Gohan compares to Goku, accept knowing that he’s weaker than Goku as stated by Krillin, in fact even with his “innate talent” of getting stronger than ever in that brief fight with Kefla, Krillin still wonders if he could become stronger than Goku if he quit his day job and focused on just training, so there’s still definitely a big enough gap between the two. Also, Krillin would technically know how Gohan compares to Goku, as even though he can’t sense god ki, Krillin knows that Goku is roughly in line with Freeza, and that’s somebody he can sense when they reach their true power, so because of that he actually knows how powerful the God forms are, more or less.

The anime of the other hand is a bit easier. Goku is super strong in base. We’ve seen multiple times in that how strong he is, there’s issues, sure, and I’m not a fan of how the power scaling is handled one bit, but we can’t really ignore it as it’s shown far too often. Everybody is just crazy in the anime. Even in the ToP arc we see fit Buu and Base Goku going at it, so we know that Goku’s base power wasn’t retconned there either.