Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu May 17, 2018 2:44 am

Got me thinking. We really cant say for 100% fact how jiren compares to all hakaishins, but yall think we can use belmod in the manga to at least compare jiren to one hakaishin? Liquiir shot a blast at belmod that surprised quite a few gods (even beerus and quitela). Then we find out that belmod was faking being down and not even injured and totally tanked an attack of such caliber.

So is it safe to assume that do to belmod tanking liquiirs attack, that jiren is superior to him as well? I mean, what ever belmod can do in physical combat, jiren can do better.

Also, belmod kicked sidra pretty damn hard in chapter 28. Seriously looked like sidra was gonna die :lol: (i know he was caught of guard, but still looked pretty darn painful). But I'm pretty sure all of us agree that sidra is nothing to jiren, as sidra is potentially low level hakaishin.

NthNewbie

Post by NthNewbie » Thu May 17, 2018 9:09 am

Marlowe89 wrote: It doesn't imply that Toriyama played no role at all, which was my point. There's more than enough room for the possibility of some prior specification for 17's strength with the information provided, and it doesn't particularly matter whether that specification was made through a comparison to Gohan's power or not.
I've never denied the possibility of a rough powerscaling that somewhat defines the limit of what a character can and cannot do. That is common sense and isn't the point of my argument. 17 obviously can't be stronger than Goku. Krillin obviously can't be stronger than 17. You're the one who suggested that it could be precise enough to support Toshio's statement of Gohan >= 17. Again, if Toriyama ever said anything along the lines of "17 is about as strong as Gohan, but NOT stronger", then it would've manifested in some shape or form because the author himself cared enough to draw the line. It not being relevant enough to be shown is just an excuse on your part, because the most the writers would have to do is simply not portray 17 to be more impressive than Gohan.
Only on your behalf. Again, your interpretation of the context has no relevance to the way a statement is worded. If you have no familiarity with Japanese, you yourself can't be trusted as to which translation is more accurate. This is common sense.
The context isn't the damn point. It was besides the point. I said Herms initial translation was wrong because that's simply not what Goku said. Again, you don't need an advanced degree in math to know that 2 + 2 = 5 is wrong. Not being more proficient in Japanese than Herms =/= zero familiarity with Japanese. The world isn't as black and white as you think it is. Of course you don't have to believe someone you barely know who barely has any credibility, but any rational person would first consider the plausibility of what was being said and try to find out for themselves instead of immediately dismissing it because of the person behind it.
The alternative doesn't necessarily specify anything about 17's power anyway, especially in a series where Goku is constantly skipping over 3/God and in one episode even stated that he was going to use a little more power than his Super Saiyan 2 form only to go straight to Blue.
It does, when put together with the rest of the dialogues in that episode. The authorial intention is pretty obvious.
They were getting across that he was a formidable fighter while keeping his exact strength ambiguous, hence why both characters were holding back. It's just a way to elevate the drama in fights without committing to an exact scale.
Lol. Making 17 hold back against freaking SSB makes his power far less ambiguous than it could've been had it not stated that he was also holding back.
No it doesn't. If you can't reliably prove how much Goku was holding back, you literally have no precedent to claim that anything conflicts with Toshio's clarification at all. I'm actually astounded that I have to explain something like this. The fact of the matter is that your argument is still based on nothing.
Sigh. Toshio saying that Goku use SSB to motivate 17 directly contradicts Goku's own statement about not intending to use SSB. 17 pushed him to use it. This is basic logic, I don't see how this is even arguable. Stop discarding authorial intentions that doesn't suit your narrative. Also, 17 knew nothing about how godly a transformation SSB is, he saw it for the first time during that fight and wasn't even impressed. I don't know how anyone could see something so stupidly illogical and say with a straight face that it's "perfectly logical and consistent".
See above. You are disagreeing with the writer, and you're obviously the only person here "picking and choosing" which authorial intentions suit your narrative (which is actually none, because even the ones you claim provide support for your viewpoint don't actually do so). I'm merely adopting what was stated by the writer himself and conveyed through official materials, none of which is actually contradicted by the show in the slightest.
Yeah, sure.

Rally 07
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rally 07 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am

NthNewbie wrote: Sigh. Toshio saying that Goku use SSB to motivate 17 directly contradicts Goku's own statement about not intending to use SSB. 17 pushed him to use it. This is basic logic, I don't see how this is even arguable. Stop discarding authorial intentions that doesn't suit your narrative.
Hm completely agree with you on this. Toshio saying Gokou only transforming into Super Saiyan Blue as a motivation against Artificial Human No.17 is completely contradictory and disingenuous to what happened in Super episode 86. Gokou was blatantly pushed to transform into Super Saiyan Blue against No.17 as he said he no intention to transform into that form.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 am

NthNewbie wrote:You're the one who suggested that it could be precise enough to support Toshio's statement of Gohan >= 17.
No, I said it could have been precise enough to remain consistent with Toshio's statements. Not that it matters either way, because my point was that Toshio's opinions still have authorial status given that he is one of the writers of the show.
Again, if Toriyama ever said anything along the lines of "17 is about as strong as Gohan, but NOT stronger", then it would've manifested in some shape or form because the author himself cared enough to draw the line.
Yet another baseless conclusion that doesn't logically follow at all. The writers have some creative leeway, so obviously it's within the writers' best interests to know how the characters are scaled regardless of whether they decide to indicate it within the final product or not. Toriyama could have specified a bunch of things that weren't necessarily relevant, if only for the sake of maintaining some consistency down the road in case the writers decided to make it relevant.

17 wasn't portrayed to be more impressive than Gohan, at least in terms of strength, so my point stands. That's not an excuse, that's you completely failing to comprehend that the details of discussions between the staff aren't always going to be highlighted in the actual story if they're not deemed important. It's not even a stretch to think that quite a few unused factors could have been touched on during those meetings.
I said Herms initial translation was wrong because that's simply not what Goku said.
Based on what, exactly? Unless I'm missing something, you haven't provided any reasoning for this beyond "they're two very different translations and I recognized the correct one" and arguments from context/characterization. I'm genuinely curious as to how you believe the wording would eliminate one possibility but not the other.

You yourself alluded to not having the same familiarity with Japanese as Herms. If you can't explain why the translation's phrasing itself is incorrect (as other translators often do) then you simply can't be trusted with choosing which translation is more accurate. The fact that you haven't attempted to do so for several posts now despite having more than enough opportunity already makes you suspect, frankly.
It does, when put together with the rest of the dialogues in that episode. The authorial intention is pretty obvious.
It doesn't when put together with nearly everything else in the series. The authorial intention was how Toshio described it when he clarified it on Twitter.
Making 17 hold back against freaking SSB makes his power far less ambiguous than it could've been had it not stated that he was also holding back.
17 was holding back against a suppressed version of SSB that was also holding back. The same situation was described to happen between Goku and Beerus during the first arc of Super. Goku could have been using 10% of Blue's power while 17 could have been using 75% of his own power (these are just random numbers for the sake of the argument) and the statement would hold. We know that Goku would have been holding back a lot more than 17 anyway given that his Super Saiyan Blue form was portrayed to be far stronger in the tournament.

Again, this is just common sense. If it wasn't meant to be ambiguous, the script wouldn't have needed to specify that they were both holding back. The purpose was to make an exciting fight without committing to any specific power scaling.
Toshio saying that Goku use SSB to motivate 17 directly contradicts Goku's own statement about not intending to use SSB.
There's no direct contradiction because A.) there are conflicting translations, the other of which hasn't been contested on the grounds of its phrasing yet, B.) Goku has been known to actively skip over transformations between 2 and Blue altogether, even when he only intended to use a marginal increase in power over 2, and C.) the translation you're referring to doesn't specify an exact time frame; did Goku not intend to use it going into the fight, or did he not intend to use it at that moment? His past-tense phrasing is vague enough to leave room for Toshio's specified context.

You're the one discarding authorial intentions, and stated ones at that, so it's ironic that you're suddenly accusing me of doing what you've been blatantly committing throughout this entire discussion.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 17, 2018 12:00 pm

God forbid how confusing it's going to be make sense of this Dragon Ball Heroes anime.

NthNewbie

Post by NthNewbie » Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Marlowe89 wrote: 17 wasn't portrayed to be more impressive than Gohan, at least in terms of strength, so my point stands.
Except he was, to a certain extent. So again, all they had to do was not make 17 appear stronger than Gohan. I'm not disagreeing that not everything that goes down in a discussion can be shown. But how exactly did they decide what makes it into the show then? That's the link you're missing. Not everything can be shown, but they show 17 doing better than Gohan instead of the other way round, which would be an odd choice if Gohan was specified to be at least stronger.
Marlowe89 wrote: Your interpretation of the context was entirely your point, otherwise you wouldn't have made arguments outside the scope of the statement itself.
Sigh. It wasn't. Go back and reread if you have to. It was a "by the way" thing. Goku did indeed sound OOC, at least to me, and we know that it was a mistranslation.
You yourself alluded to not having the same familiarity with Japanese as Herms. If you can't explain why the translation's phrasing itself is incorrect (as other translators often do) then you simply can't be trusted with choosing which translation is more accurate.
What exactly do you mean by saying the phrasing is incorrect?
"I will try not to kill you" vs "To be honest, I didn't intend to". Huge difference man, the entire translation is simply incorrect.
The fact that you haven't attempted to do so for several posts now despite having more than enough opportunity already makes you suspect, frankly.
You didn't ask, and I didn't see the point in doing it since you clearly don't understand Japanese so what would be the point? It's not like you can tell whether my explanation is valid even if I do explain myself. You're always free to use google translate however, this is what Goku said: 本当はしないつもりだったけんどよ
It doesn't when put together with nearly everything else in the series. The authorial intention was how Toshio described it when he clarified it on Twitter.
Toshio wrote the episode. So he contradicted himself. Even if it was a different writer, there's still a contradiction. For the 3925th time, you can't just pick and choose whatever suits your narrative.
17 was holding back against a suppressed version of SSB that was also holding back. The same situation was described to happen between Goku and Beerus during the first arc of Super. Goku could have been using 10% of Blue's power while 17 could have been using 75% of his own power (these are just random numbers for the sake of the argument) and the statement would hold. We know that Goku would have been holding back a lot more than 17 anyway given that his Super Saiyan Blue form was portrayed to be far stronger in the tournament.
It's still making his power less ambiguous, not more. If 17 wasn't stated to be holding back then we wouldn't know if he was closer to SSB or SSJ3/SSG on the scale. The fact that he was also holding back and still going toe to toe against SSB makes it far more likely for him to be in that tier than not, in terms of portrayal. Bringing up random numbers is meaningless because we have no proof of how much either of them were really using.
There's no direct contradiction because A.) there are conflicting translations, the other of which hasn't been contested on the grounds of its phrasing yet
Dude, there isn't. Herms translated it wrong as he watched the episode but he clearly corrected himself in the episode summary, as I showed you previously. There's nothing to contest about an obvious mistranslation by someone who realized and corrected his own mistake. You'd have to be grasping at straws at this point.
B.) Goku has been known to actively skip over transformations between 2 and Blue altogether, even when he only intended to use a marginal increase in power over 2.
Maybe. Except that's not how the episode and its dialogues portrayed 17's strength. They didn't just make 17 push Goku to use SSB, they also included all these unnecessary dialogues like Dende saying he'd be terrifying as an enemy and Goku agreeing with that statement, when all they needed to say was 17 has gotten unexpectedly stronger to hype him up. The fact that 17 pushed Goku to SSB simply reinforced the intention behind these dialogues further, especially when you consider that Goku wasn't pushed to SSB against Gohan.
C.) the translation you're referring to doesn't specify an exact time frame; did Goku not intend to use it going into the fight, or did he not intend to use it at that moment? The past-tense phrasing is vague enough to leave room for Toshio's specified context.
It doesn't matter which one it is, because both contradict Goku using it as motivation. If he didn't plan on using it going into the fight, then he definitely wasn't using it midway just to motivate 17. If he didn't intend to use it at that moment, then he definitely wasn't using just to motivate 17.
You're the one discarding authorial intentions, and stated ones at that, so it's ironic that you're suddenly accusing me of doing what you've been blatantly committing throughout this entire discussion.
Yeah, no. Unlike you, I'm not selective of authorial intentions that only suit my narrative. The ones that I disagree with I only disagree with because they're contradictory.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:57 pm

This has dragged on for long enough that we've strayed from my initial points, and I really don't feel like engaging in all this back-and-forth quoting, so I don't see any reason to continue this much longer. I'm just going to clarify a couple of things:
NthNewbie wrote:Bringing up random numbers is meaningless because we have no proof of how much either of them were really using.
I brought up those random numbers to show that the possibility is consistent with what's stated in the episode. "We have no proof of how much either of them were really using" was my point to you; to specify that 17 was also holding back objectively doesn't bring 17 any closer to Blue tier than simply saying that Goku was holding back. If Goku was the only one said to be holding back, there would have been less ambiguity in terms of comparing the two characters, which would completely invalidate any potential excitement within the episode because the viewers would already know that Goku is stronger.

Of course, looking at the tournament, SSB Goku is stronger than 17 -- so much so that I'd venture to say they're not reasonably within the same tier at all, particularly given the showing with U2's Pretty Black Hole. If something like the manga eventually proves me wrong, I'll gladly concede otherwise.
NthNewbie wrote: It doesn't matter which one it is, because both contradict Goku using it as motivation. If he didn't plan on using it going into the fight, then he definitely wasn't using it midway just to motivate 17. If he didn't intend to use it at that moment, then he definitely wasn't using just to motivate 17.
The first one doesn't. If Goku didn't plan on using it shortly prior to the fight but decided to use it for motivational purposes within the fight, there's no inconsistency. We don't know Goku's thought process nor Toshio's.

I'm not being selective of any authorial intentions if I don't believe there was a contradiction in the first place.

NthNewbie

Post by NthNewbie » Thu May 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Marlowe89 wrote: I broght up those random numbers to show that the possibility is consistent with what's stated in the episode. "We have no proof of how much either of them were really using" was my point to you; to specify that 17 was also holding back objectively doesn't bring 17 any closer to Blue tier than simply saying that Goku was holding back.
Lets assume that Goku was using only 10%. If 17 wasn't holding back he'd be using 80-100% against Goku's 10%, if he was holding back he could've been using anywhere from 30-75% against Goku's 10%. So stating that 17 was also holding back does bring him closer to SSB, we just don't know by how much.
If Goku was the only one said to be holding back, there would have been less ambiguity in terms of comparing the two characters, which would completely invalidate any potential excitement within the episode because the viewers would already know that Goku is stronger.
I would've agreed with this if only it wasn't obvious that Goku was still the stronger of the two. Literally no one thinks 17 could be stronger, so there's really not much mystery there. This could work if it's someone else that isn't Goku.
Of course, looking at the tournament, SSB Goku is stronger than 17 -- so much so that I'd venture to say they're not reasonably within the same tier at all, particularly given the showing with U2's Pretty Black Hole.
One could argue that 17 didn't even try to stand up in the black hole, not the way Goku did.
The first one doesn't. If Goku didn't plan on using it shortly prior to the fight but decided to use it for motivational purposes within the fight, there's no inconsistency. We don't know Goku's thought process nor Toshio's.
Context tho, we clearly see 17 thrashing SSJ Goku that pushed him to use blue, so his statement about not intending to use it falls in line with what was happening. Why would he randomly feel the need to go blue to "motivate" 17 in the middle of a fight he was losing, while telling him that he didn't intend to use it? I think the authorial intention was obvious for that dialogue.
This has dragged on for long enough that we've strayed from my initial points, and I really don't feel like engaging in all this back-and-forth quoting, so I don't see any reason to continue this much longer.
Sure, no hard feelings.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 pm

NthNewbie wrote: Lets assume that Goku was using only 10%. If 17 wasn't holding back he'd be using 80-100% against Goku's 10%, if he was holding back he could've been using anywhere from 30-75% against Goku's 10%. So stating that 17 was also holding back does bring him closer to SSB, we just don't know by how much.
Sure, but that's only if we use the same arbitrary percentage for Goku in both cases. I was operating more along generalities for the purposes of my argument.

For the overall argument though it's probably best to just agree to disagree at this point -- I'm still not convinced that Toshio's clarification wasn't a sincere one. One thing I'll concur with you on, which you seem to have insinuated earlier, is that the writers can have conflicting interpretations of how strong the characters can be at times which makes the anime a bit of a mess either way.
Bullza wrote:God forbid how confusing it's going to be make sense of this Dragon Ball Heroes anime.
Yeah, I definitely don't see that being anything less than pure chaos. Maybe if it's a short one they can make the consistency work.

supersaiyangodgogeta
Regular

Post by supersaiyangodgogeta » Thu May 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Toshio's authorial intent is that Goku used SSB to motivate everyone and he used 17 as an example. Not seeing how someone could tell the writer that they're wrong about what they intended.

Goku's statement about not intending to use SSB against 17 was part of Goku trying to motivate him as stated by Toshio.

17 "pushed" him to use his strongest form and Goku using the form was his way of recognizing that 17 was indeed strong, even though SSB is beyond him as shown in Toppo vs Gohan & 17.
17 does rival that strength somewhat though since he's equal to Gohan in strength, with the latter being stated to rival SSB Goku. So Super Saiyan God level seems fine for 17 and Gohan.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu May 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Bullza wrote:God forbid how confusing it's going to be make sense of this Dragon Ball Heroes anime.
Its a promotional anime. It isnt wven going to be long. Just promoting the game.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu May 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Based on Raw scans , looks like CSSB Vegeta has a serious edge on Toppo. Obviously don't have the translations yet but seems like what I thought before about Toppo was true. His power is decently below CSSB . If Goku hadn't let his guard down, he would have clocked him since Whis stated Goku and Vegeta were equals in Ch 27.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Based on Raw scans , looks like CSSB Vegeta has a serious edge on Toppo. Obviously don't have the translations yet but seems like what I thought before about Toppo was true. His power is decently below CSSB . If Goku hadn't let his guard down, he would have clocked him since Whis stated Goku and Vegeta were equals in Ch 27.
I seriously doubt Goku was at full strength against Toppo.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 17, 2018 6:13 pm

I haven't seen many scans. What I do see may imply Ribrianne is above Android 18?

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Bullza wrote:I haven't seen many scans. What I do see may imply Ribrianne is above Android 18?
I wouldn't be sure about that . All 3 magical girls gang up on 18 so...

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat May 19, 2018 1:12 am

https://ibb.co/fAOwy8

I know this is a game, but no matter where we get our information on UI from, its always stated to be above the gods, period.
We are so close to getting an outright statement, but yet feels so far.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat May 19, 2018 5:25 am

Is this about if Ultra Instinct Omen or Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku has surpassed the Gods?

Toppo became a God of Destruction and Vegeta was about as strong if not stronger than what he was and both versions of Ultra Instinct Goku were stronger than that.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat May 19, 2018 6:44 am

At this point, if certain folks still aren't convinced, there's no point in trying; they won't change their minds.

Ultra Instinct Goku has surpassed even the gods, that much I feel is certain. The Angels are another matter entirely, but we don't need to worry about that right now.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:12 am

MSsjB Vegeta seems to be slightly above Toppo in the manga.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat May 19, 2018 7:34 am

Kenneth La Torre wrote:https://ibb.co/fAOwy8

I know this is a game, but no matter where we get our information on UI from, its always stated to be above the gods, period.
We are so close to getting an outright statement, but yet feels so far.
This isn’t something new. Whis also stated in the anime that Ultra Instinct is the limit-breaking power of the gods, whose implication can be exactly what Goku said in that blurb. The curious thing is that some gods might be able to use this power as well. The moment names are mentioned it would be safe to say something.