Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:08 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I'll take Jiren tricking Hit into a ring out over "His power is so fucking sugoi it trascends time itself!"
Even though that's the same basic explanation in the manga for why Hit's Time-Skip didn't work on SSB Goku? That his power was too great for such a time-based power to work?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I'll take Jiren tricking Hit into a ring out over "His power is so fucking sugoi it trascends time itself!"
Even though that's the same basic explanation in the manga for why Hit's Time-Skip didn't work on SSB Goku? That his power was too great for such a time-based power to work?
It's more a context thing, the basic principle is the same but the manga frames it as Jiren actually being a bit strategic whereas the anime is just hyping Jiren up because he's so fucking sugoi you guise!

The mangas manages to show off his power without it coming off as pandering to the mass imbecilia that comprises the DB fandom.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Well, jiren seems to handle two CSSB opponents easier than beerus. I hope the manga at least tells us where they stand. The dude tanked a CSSB kamehameha like nothing

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: - SSJ2 was able to hold his own against Toppo and Dyspo... at the same time. And in Toppo's case, this would seem quite weird given that Toppo is far stronger than SSJ2 Goku, as shown in their fight in the Zen Exhibition Match.
"Holding his own" is a very strong phrase in this context. They were literally toying with him, and the panels make it obvious that he was at a severe disadvantage in that form.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Well, jiren seems to handle two CSSB opponents easier than beerus. I hope the manga at least tells us where they stand. The dude tanked a CSSB kamehameha like nothing
When did Beerus fought two CSSB opponents at once?

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 pm

shadd21 wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:Well, jiren seems to handle two CSSB opponents easier than beerus. I hope the manga at least tells us where they stand. The dude tanked a CSSB kamehameha like nothing
Thats the thing. While going easy, he was sweating with one.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: - SSJ2 was able to hold his own against Toppo and Dyspo... at the same time. And in Toppo's case, this would seem quite weird given that Toppo is far stronger than SSJ2 Goku, as shown in their fight in the Zen Exhibition Match.
"Holding his own" is a very strong phrase in this context. They were literally toying with him, and the panels make it obvious that he was at a severe disadvantage in that form.
So... Toppo was unnecessarily sandbagging when he knows he could have literally one-shot Goku at that moment.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: - Turn out (you guessed it) Jiren was sandbagging and he really wasn't affected by Hit's new Time-Skip ability at all and was using it as an opportunity to draw Hit near the edge of the arena, and uses that opportunity to punch Hit out of the stage, eliminating him.
What a troll.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:19 pm

I think I'll wait for Viz to upload the chapter before I read any of these comments on it. Hopefully it should be up tomorrow.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Bullza wrote:I think I'll wait for Viz to upload the chapter before I read any of these comments on it. Hopefully it should be up tomorrow.
Herms has been translating scans. Its not like were basing it off just pictures

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: So... Toppo was unnecessarily sandbagging when he knows he could have literally one-shot Goku at that moment.
I mean, so was Jiren and a ton of other fighters during the anime's ToP. It's certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

It's still consistent with Toppo's strength because he still had an enormous advantage over Goku.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
It's more a context thing, the basic principle is the same but the manga frames it as Jiren actually being a bit strategic whereas the anime is just hyping Jiren up because he's so fucking sugoi you guise!

The mangas manages to show off his power without it coming off as pandering to the mass imbecilia that comprises the DB fandom.
It's basically sandbagging with a bit more class and consideration. :P

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm not sure what manga people are reading to say ss2 goku "held his own" vs toppo and dyspo. Dyspo was literally taunting him and avoiding everything and then hit him away and toppo was pummeling goku into the ground. There is no inconsistency here from chapter 29.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Seems like hits technique did not affect jiren at all, he was just playing with him.
And the clowns troll face when hit was eliminated was priceless :lol:

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
shadd21 wrote:
What episode/chapter did this happen?

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:19 pm

shadd21 wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
shadd21 wrote:When did Beerus fought two CSSB opponents at once?
What episode/chapter did this happen?
Chapter 27. Beerus vs CSSB vegeta

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:40 pm

So, after Ch.35 there's SO MUCH to say.

- Dyspo and Toppo slowly overpowered Ssj2 Goku. I would compare this short fight to Frost vs Muten Roshi and Tenshinhan from last month. The humans resisted a bit, but then were quickly defeated (only Tenshinhan, actually).

- I could have sworn Goku only used regular SsjB against Jiren, but apparently that's not the case and used MSsjB.

- Hit seemed to do better than Goku against Jiren, but the latter was just pretending to be in trouble, so he could ring out Hit. Anyway, Hit surely got stronger and is probably MSsjB tier as well.

Now, let's speak about Jiren for a bit, and let's compare his fight with Beerus's from Ch.27.

A highly suppressed Jiren was able to stomp both MssjB Goku and Hit (who should be on a similar level of strenght) with little effort (he didn't even move from the spot for the majority of the fight).

Beerus, on the other hand, against one MssjB tier fighter (Vegeta), was really having a bad time against him, and needed to use his full power (I guess) to one-shot him.
This pretty much says it all, really. Toyotaro is very clear when it comes to power scale, you should all admit it.

Jiren (suppressed) >>> Fused Zamasu >= MSsjB Goku / MssjB Vegeta / Hit >= Beerus (suppressed).

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:52 pm

This chapter solidifies that jiren, even if he isnt stronger, he should be as strong as beerus.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:This chapter solidifies that jiren, even if he isnt stronger, he should be as strong as beerus.
Well, him having strength that even a Hakaishin can't defeat should've always told us that.

The question is whether or not the manga will clarify if Jiren's gonna simply use full power against Ultra Instinct, or if he'll surpass his limits; plenty of folk still make the case that Jiren's performance after his first bout with Goku in episode 130 was simply his full power flat-out.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:This chapter solidifies that jiren, even if he isnt stronger, he should be as strong as beerus.
Well, him having strength that even a Hakaishin can't defeat should've always told us that.

The question is whether or not the manga will clarify if Jiren's gonna simply use full power against Ultra Instinct, or if he'll surpass his limits; plenty of folk still make the case that Jiren's performance after his first bout with Goku in episode 130 was simply his full power flat-out.
Honestly, the show was so bad at explaining power ups, that I'm taking an agnostic stand,
I simply dont know if it was his full power, or a limit breaker.