Super retelling BOG and ROF

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Basaku » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:12 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If BOG now happens six months after Buu
Is this what the time frame for Super is? So Gohan's still 16 (or 17)... and he's getting married..?
Toriyama's punishing us for complaining about being stuck in the middle of 10-year gap by retconning everything to happen even earlier in that 10-year gap now :lolno: :problem:

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:24 pm

Changes I would make:
  • Keep the Freeza > Base Saiyans line.
  • When Kaio tells Vegeta that Goku was defeated add "But Beerus only used a little of his power" so Vegeta can logically get scared now.
  • Krillin joins the battle.
  • Gotenks uses SSJ3.
  • NO SUPER SAIYAN GOHAN. If it is included then fucking explain it already.
  • Gohan, Gotenks, Buu, Vegeta and Piccolo put a better fight but still get defeated.
  • Vegeta still gets a rage boost but Beerus explains later on that it was Vegeta tapping on his SSG power.
  • Everyone jumps in to try and save Goku while in trouble.
  • Show Freeza and Shisami's training.
  • Show Freeza hiring the troublesome mercenaries mentioned on the script.
  • Make the 1,000 soldier fight longer. Increase the amount of soldiers if necessary.
  • Buu, Goten, Trunks and Bulma (using a powerful robot) join the fight.
  • Make Shisami vs Piccolo longer. Piccolo defeats him.
  • Freeza "kills" Goten and Trunks instead of Gohan.
  • Gohan fights Third Form Freeza and loses.
  • Make Freeza, Goku and Vegeta's fight longer.
  • Freeza survives and gets sent to universe 6.
  • The gang goes to stop Freeza who will gather the Dragon Balls in universe 6.

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:05 am

Zombie wrote:
Got to admit, I'd love to see this just for potential reactions from Freeza. Goten and Trunks resemble kid versions of the two Saiyans who defeated him in the past, so their appearence would be bound to rile him up. And then Majin Buu would be a great addition due to the whole "my father told me never to lay a finger on Beerus or Majin Buu" thing - it'd be great to have both of them there rather than just Beerus!

So having all four of them turn up at intervals when Freeza's there could be absolutely hilarious! Have them arrive at slightly different points in time (Goten + Trunks, then Buu, then Beerus), and watch Freeza's exasperation ramp up when each new arrival appears. Would be absolutely classic. XD
Last edited by DisapprovingOwl on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:24 am

For me personally, I'm disappointed in this news about BoG and RoF being retold because it means they're just reusing what we've more or less already seen before instead of giving us something completely new from the beginning.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:21 am

I hope they show and explain how Vegeta attained SSJG and how and why he and Goku ended up training with Whis. They also need to explain, in depth, what SSGSS is because SSJ with the power of SSJG isn't exactly a detailed explanation and hardly gives us anything to go on.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:45 am

WittyUsername wrote:For me personally, I'm disappointed in this news about BoG and RoF being retold because it means they're just reusing what we've more or less already seen before instead of giving us something completely new from the beginning.
I'm sure it won't be a copy-pasted story. They'll more than likely add some things to make it fresh and new.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Great. Now the "what is canon" debate just got more confusing, with a movie and a TV ( and a manga) version of the same story.

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:47 pm

Couldn't there just be a time skip in the upcoming episodes, so that not many changes to BoG will be made?

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:51 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:Great. Now the "what is canon" debate just got more confusing, with a movie and a TV ( and a manga) version of the same story.
I really don't understand why people debate this. Anyone can consider anything canon; it's totally up to to individual fan.

There is no "official" canon for any series. Most people just go with the general consensus of the fandom; but that doesn't mean someone can't go outside of that...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.

Gianchio
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gianchio » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:30 pm

Zombie wrote:Changes I would make:
  • When Kaio tells Vegeta that Goku was defeated add "But Beerus only used a little of his power" so Vegeta can logically get scared now.
  • Gotenks uses SSJ3.
  • Gohan, Gotenks, Buu, Vegeta and Piccolo put a better fight but still get defeated.
  • Vegeta still gets a rage boost but Beerus explains later on that it was Vegeta tapping on his SSG power.
  • Make the 1,000 soldier fight longer. Increase the amount of soldiers if necessary.
Awesome! :thumbup:

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Gianchio wrote:
  • Gotenks uses SSJ3.
I have now realized that I forgot Yamcha. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:09 pm

Zombie wrote:
Gianchio wrote:
  • Gotenks uses SSJ3.
I have now realized that I forgot Yamcha. :lol:
Don't feel sorry. Everybody forgets about Yamcha from time to time. He's kinda like that kid you occasionally talked to kindergarten but if he you saw again in high school after many years of not seeing or talking to him and he came up to and hugged you, you'd asked yourself, "Who the hell is hugging me?"

Rozay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rozay » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm still torn about it. Because on one end, I would like the series to be about more original material, but on the other end, I am glad Battle of Gods and especially Fukkatsu no F are being retold, because there are way to many things in those movies worth exploring further, and they left too much open for interpretation. I'm also torn on my understanding of the business side of it, because while obviously is good to have a new series, and it is wise to retell the movie stories to include people who haven't seen it, it is also a dirty trick, in my opinion, to both retell stories as to make it easier for themselves instead of having to create whole new arcs, and especially to release the movies earlier to make money, only to then retell them and have people who went out of their way to see them feeling annoyed that what they supported is no longer the thing that "matters", in a story line sense, even if there are many aspects that will probably be equal between both movies and the series.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Rozay wrote:I'm still torn about it. Because on one end, I would like the series to be about more original material, but on the other end, I am glad Battle of Gods and especially Fukkatsu no F are being retold, because there are way to many things in those movies worth exploring further, and they left too much open for interpretation. I'm also torn on my understanding of the business side of it, because while obviously is good to have a new series, and it is wise to retell the movie stories to include people who haven't seen it, it is also a dirty trick, in my opinion, to both retell stories as to make it easier for themselves instead of having to create whole new arcs, and especially to release the movies earlier to make money, only to then retell them and have people who went out of their way to see them feeling annoyed that what they supported is no longer the thing that "matters", in a story line sense, even if there are many aspects that will probably be equal between both movies and the series.
Although I understand your point, no one's really saying that the movies won't "matter". It's just a reimagining of the story. That's it.

If you, or anyone else, still consider BoG and RoF canon over Super's story, you are free to do so. In fact, I'm sure a ton of fans will agree with you.
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rozay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rozay » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:20 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote: Although I understand your point, no one's really saying that the movies won't "matter". It's just a reimagining of the story. That's it.

If you, or anyone else, still consider BoG and RoF canon over Super's story, you are free to do that. In fact, I'm sure a ton of fans will agree with you.
Oh, sure, everyone's free to do that. But people still care about these things when they come out of the original creator, it's just the way it goes. And I actually don't have any feelings invested in that particular side of it, I just didn't completely understand the move on a business decision, because it seems like it COULD alienate some fans in an unnecessary risk. But that was all I was trying to say on that part of my post.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Rozay wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote: Although I understand your point, no one's really saying that the movies won't "matter". It's just a reimagining of the story. That's it.

If you, or anyone else, still consider BoG and RoF canon over Super's story, you are free to do that. In fact, I'm sure a ton of fans will agree with you.
Oh, sure, everyone's free to do that. But people still care about these things when they come out of the original creator, it's just the way it goes. And I actually don't have any feelings invested in that particular side of it, I just didn't completely understand the move on a business decision, because it seems like it COULD alienate some fans in an unnecessary risk. But that was all I was trying to say on that part of my post.
I can see it both ways, really. Just playing devil's advocate.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:44 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Rozay wrote:I'm still torn about it. Because on one end, I would like the series to be about more original material, but on the other end, I am glad Battle of Gods and especially Fukkatsu no F are being retold, because there are way to many things in those movies worth exploring further, and they left too much open for interpretation. I'm also torn on my understanding of the business side of it, because while obviously is good to have a new series, and it is wise to retell the movie stories to include people who haven't seen it, it is also a dirty trick, in my opinion, to both retell stories as to make it easier for themselves instead of having to create whole new arcs, and especially to release the movies earlier to make money, only to then retell them and have people who went out of their way to see them feeling annoyed that what they supported is no longer the thing that "matters", in a story line sense, even if there are many aspects that will probably be equal between both movies and the series.
Although I understand your point, no one's really saying that the movies won't "matter". It's just a reimagining of the story. That's it.

If you, or anyone else, still consider BoG and RoF canon over Super's story, you are free to do so. In fact, I'm sure a ton of fans will agree with you.
That and you can still totally enjoy the movies on their own terms. As is, both recent movies are par for the course in regards to Dragon Ball movies.
I just didn't completely understand the move on a business decision,
It makes perfect sense from a business decision. By "starting over from scratch," instead of making the series direct sequels to films, it makes it far more accessible for everyone else who may not have seen the movie, or even have forgotten the first film. That way, everyone is on the same page.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:07 am

Well i like the idea that they are retelling the story of bog and rof.A movie is to short to tell the saga o a god of destruction.And one movie is way to short to revive and kill off freeza ^^.

That and then there will proly be the manga adaptation with its slight changes ^^.So basically you can go with what you like haha.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:56 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote: But if I had to change things, it'd be:
  • Get rid of Vegeta's bogus 'rage boost' :?
The rage boost not only was cool but made sense in the context of the series though, since both Goku and Gohan have it (Gohan against Raditz and Cell, and Goku becoming Super Saiyan for the first time). Perhaps it's a rare, unspoken Saiyan trait.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:37 am

So wait. Assuming the SSJ God ritual is the same in Super as it was in the movie, and this is 6 months after Buu's defeat, then Videl would have to be pregnant for six years for Pan's age to line up with the end of the manga!