Super retelling BOG and ROF

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:46 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:So wait. Assuming the SSJ God ritual is the same in Super as it was in the movie, and this is 6 months after Buu's defeat, then Videl would have to be pregnant for six years for Pan's age to line up with the end of the manga!
Or Toriyama will just casually retcon the circumstances of the SSJG ritual.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Or Toriyama will just casually retcon the circumstances of the SSJG ritual.
Which sucks as it would remove the most emotional moment of the film!

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:43 pm

Not gonna lie. I really, really wouldn't mind if they changed (or outright get rid of) the SSJG ritual. Thought it was pretty dumb even in context.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:35 am

kemuri07 wrote:Not gonna lie. I really, really wouldn't mind if they changed (or outright get rid of) the SSJG ritual. Thought it was pretty dumb even in context.
At least it was actually something different and unique, though...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:Not gonna lie. I really, really wouldn't mind if they changed (or outright get rid of) the SSJG ritual. Thought it was pretty dumb even in context.
At least it was actually something different and unique, though...
No, it wasn't. GT had the saiyans power up SSJ4 Goku in pretty much the same fashion, circle and all. The only difference is the number of saiyans and the unlocking of a new transformation instead of just getting more powerful.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:So wait. Assuming the SSJ God ritual is the same in Super as it was in the movie, and this is 6 months after Buu's defeat, then Videl would have to be pregnant for six years for Pan's age to line up with the end of the manga!
Or Toriyama will just casually retcon the circumstances of the SSJG ritual.
Or the end of the manga.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:01 pm

Yeah, I agree. I'd rather it just be changed entirely. Never liked the way he achieves SSJ God.

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:10 pm

bleed0range wrote:
Yeah, I agree. I'd rather it just be changed entirely. Never liked the way he achieves SSJ God.
In fairness, neither did Goku! = P

Whatever you think about the ritual itself, I really liked that aspect of it - that Goku was actually pretty disgruntled that he hadn't been able to achieve this power by himself. Made for an interesting dynamic, as he got quite angry about it and seemed to channel some of that into his fight with Beerus.

If they do change the requirement to achieve Super Saiyan God in this version of events, I hope they still manage to keep that aspect somehow...

DOS

Post by DOS » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Did not read this thread, plus I'm on the beer. Let's not forget though, here was a guy (Mr. Toriyama) that was having problems coming up with the basis for ROF, until a song about Freezer inspired him to craft that story. So naturally, of course you shouldn't be surprised that he is remaking those films! :twisted:

Stridex
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Stridex » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm curious if the "two years after Majin Buu's death" Jump 2008 special will be kept.

In the "for" category:

How crazy is Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan in '08?

(Context: Goku shoots a Kamehameha... turns blue, and stays that way after the shot.)
"The emptier one's head is, the more room there is to pack in dreams..."

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:40 am

Stridex wrote:I'm curious if the "two years after Majin Buu's death" Jump 2008 special will be kept.

In the "for" category:

How crazy is Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan in '08?

(Context: Goku shoots a Kamehameha... turns blue, and stays that way after the shot.)
I have a feeling that Toriyama views that as a one-off sort of thing. It was only ever really shown on the anime tour/convention thing right? It's only release came about through a very limited DVD run. I loved the special, but it's whole point was that the only thing that happened in the 10 year gap was this small event and nobody remembered it because it was so inconsequential. The revival of the franchise kind of makes this story pointless... and I think that Toriyama got truly serious about getting back into the franchise only after this came out (and after Hollywood destroyed Dragon Ball's good name). At that point he started wanting to tell more stories making the premise of that cute little special no longer applicable.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:56 am

It was also available for streaming internationally on the Jumpland website with subtitles in a few languages.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:46 pm

The 2008 Jump Special was pretty forgotten over the years anyways. It was the first time since the end of GT that we got something animated with Dragon Ball in 11 years and yet no one ever talks about it :lol: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The 2008 Jump Special was pretty forgotten over the years anyways. It was the first time since the end of GT that we got something animated with Dragon Ball in 11 years and yet no one ever talks about it :lol: .
Probably because of its introduction of Tarble. Some fans kinda wanna forget that happened.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:07 pm

If Videl ain't pregnant yet than SSG ritual would be a perfect reasoning to bring Tarble into Super. I kinda like him, could potentially be a fun character. And he has a tail :clap:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:46 pm

If they don't use the Dragon Balls to find out about the SSjG given how they just use them a few months ago to erase the memories of Buu. I would say asking Elder Kaioshin may not be a bad idea. He might know something given how smart he is.
She/Her

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If they don't use the Dragon Balls to find out about the SSjG given how they just use them a few months ago to erase the memories of Buu. I would say asking Elder Kaioshin may not be a bad idea. He might know something given how smart he is.
Which would repeat the same problem as with GT's SSJ4, why wasn't it mentioned earlier

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:24 am

They use the Dragon Balls then it create a plot hole. The Dragon Balls most likely would take another year for them to be used again.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:23 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:They use the Dragon Balls then it create a plot hole. The Dragon Balls most likely would take another year for them to be used again.
The Dragon Balls are definitely there, according to the Episode 4 title. If Videl is pregnant, it means that it takes place 4 years after Boo, and the promotional info were wrong again.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:31 am

So we'd be looking at a 3-3 and a half year time skip between episode 2 and 3?
Last edited by Bullza on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.