Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:28 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Latest One Piece episode was filler, and there will be more filler before the crew reaches Cake Island, and it make sense because the Cake Island Arc is still on going in the manga.
Actually, the episode before last week's episode was filler, last week's wasn't. Also, there won't be a filler arc for at least a few more weeks as the next 3 episodes are not filler though there may be some filler scenes added to the episodes which is what the One Piece anime usually does
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Only a 5.6%?....Well as was mentioned One Piece was very low too, once again probably the lowest I've seen it so I don't know why both were so low.

Certainly wasn't expecting it to be like this though. They really gave it a good push too

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Yikes. Super low ratings. (rimshot) Let's hope things pick up with the actual action episode.s

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:48 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Latest One Piece episode was filler, and there will be more filler before the crew reaches Cake Island, and it make sense because the Cake Island Arc is still on going in the manga.
Actually, the episode before last week's episode was filler, last week's wasn't. Also, there won't be a filler arc for at least a few more weeks as the next 3 episodes are not filler though there may be some filler scenes added to the episodes which is what the One Piece anime usually does
They're splitting chapter 823 into two episodes, judging from the episode titles. Between 777 and 778 there'll probably be a whole episode's worth of filler scenes mashed in-between the canon bits.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:21 am

Latest Ratings
Sazae-San: 13.5
Crayon Shin-chan: 9.3
Chibi Maruko-chan: 9.0
Doraemon: 8.6
one piece: 7.3
Detective Conan: 6.9
Dragon ball super(#79): 6.2
Time Bokan 24: 4.5
Anime Oasu no George: 3.9
Yo-kai watch: 3.7
Highest rating of the arc yet :)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:20 am

Still entirely unimpressed. I suppose it having the same average rating from when it started is good but....yeah I don't know what the hell happened here. I hope Toei aren't disappointed by it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:14 am

Bullza wrote:Still entirely unimpressed. I suppose it having the same average rating from when it started is good but....yeah I don't know what the hell happened here. I hope Toei aren't disappointed by it.
I have heard thay these are only for the Kanto region of Japan. If true who knows what the ratings for the entire nation are.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Bullza wrote:Still entirely unimpressed. I suppose it having the same average rating from when it started is good but....yeah I don't know what the hell happened here. I hope Toei aren't disappointed by it.
I have heard thay these are only for the Kanto region of Japan. If true who knows what the ratings for the entire nation are.
Kanto is the most important area for TV ratings, and pretty much equates for how things are doing in Japan. And that is why those are the only public ratings.

It would be necessary for all Japanese regions to be so much different from Kanto for it to stop being relevant as it is.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:50 am

I stopped paying attention to the ratings. They literally are meaningless bow that the show has moved to the rest of the world and in streaming sites.
Kids in Japan don't want action. Just butt jokes.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:09 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:Kids in Japan don't want action. Just butt jokes.
That's a very inaccurate generalisation to make.

As far the latest rating though, they're fine. I expected them to be a bit higher, but, hey, certain episodes have specific preferences for fans which make them them tune in more to watch that certain episode.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:15 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:Kids in Japan don't want action. Just butt jokes.
That's a very inaccurate generalisation to make.

As far the latest rating though, they're fine. I expected them to be a bit higher, but, hey, certain episodes have specific preferences for fans which make them them tune in more to watch that certain episode.
But why have the ratings stayed the same? It's been a while so it seems like they have the same base of viewership rather than expanding.

KaiserAcedia

Post by KaiserAcedia » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:55 am

Episode 80 will score at least 6.5. By now the ratings should increase. That's because the overall fighting scenes improved. The word of that should have gone around. And if the fights are staying this good or are even more improved and the tension clocks higher, will crack the 9.X

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:43 pm

KaiserAcedia wrote:Episode 80 will score at least 6.5. By now the ratings should increase. That's because the overall fighting scenes improved. The word of that should have gone around. And if the fights are staying this good or are even more improved and the tension clocks higher, will crack the 9.X
If the episode had good animations, choreography and other things doesn't matter, this episode might have good rating but only because Gohan was fighting, nothing else.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 am

God do you really believe that? The Japanese arent as in love with Gohan as the west!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:37 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:God do you really believe that? The Japanese arent as in love with Gohan as the west!
Gohan is usually ranked as #3 in Japan. So the Japanese liked Gohan. At the same time, Japan doesn't seem to care about the extended cast as much as people online are. They would be just happy having Goku and Vegeta having almost all the spotlight, with Future Trunks, going by the ratings.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:15 am

With that I didnt mean that Japan doesnt like Gohan but rather they dont have this insanely unhealthy obssesion with seeing him fight and do stuff. There's a reason "MY BOY GOHAN" is a thing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:25 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:With that I didnt mean that Japan doesnt like Gohan but rather they dont have this insanely unhealthy obssesion with seeing him fight and do stuff. There's a reason "MY BOY GOHAN" is a thing.
Most western fans started with DBZ over Dragonball, that's why there is a greater attachment to Gohan in the west. Also most fans were kids when they first got into the franchise, and Gohan was a kid so people felt they "grew up with him" alongside the series. I imagine for Japanese fans who started with Dragonball they feel the same way about Goku.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:26 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:With that I didnt mean that Japan doesnt like Gohan but rather they dont have this insanely unhealthy obssesion with seeing him fight and do stuff. There's a reason "MY BOY GOHAN" is a thing.
Three things :
Is there proof to your thinking or is this made up ?

Stop the condescending attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true considering Gohan's probably much more relatable to the Japanese audience than the western audience.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:21 pm

kinisking wrote:
Three things :

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true considering Gohan's probably much more relatable to the Japanese audience than the western audience.
I don't think he is more relatable in that way to a Japanese audience. It seems more of western thing for character to be 'relatable' since the Japanese love their fantasy/wish fulfillment characters. Which is usually why Goku and Vegeta are ranked so high. The same with Usopp from One Piece who is by far the most relatable Straw Hat member next to Nami, but he ranks lower than Straw Hats like Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Chopper.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:26 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Three things :

I don't think he is more relatable in that way to a Japanese audience. It seems more of western thing for character to be 'relatable' since the Japanese love their fantasy/wish fulfillment characters. Which is usually why Goku and Vegeta are ranked so high. The same with Usopp from One Piece who is by far the most relatable Straw Hat member next to Nami, but he ranks lower than Straw Hats like Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Chopper.
But I'm saying they wouldnt mind him getting out of the game because they can understand the reasoning better.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.