Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:31 pm

And so, the rollercoaster that is Dragon Ball Super's TV ratings continues. :P

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:03 pm

TheMikado wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Again people are not looking at the wider picture and jumping again, everything seems down, One Piece was close to the 8's last week now just below 6, that tanked harder than Super, in other words these ratings aren't meant to be analysed to the point saying X character isn't popular that's just silly.
People STILL haven't learned that the percentages don't matter as much as the rankings.

I don't understand how people can clearly see that all the shows dropped, and then still blame it on what super aired.
Exactly, Super historically has little fluctuation based on what's actually currently running. Both it's strength as its weakness is that it has essentially held the same exact spot for as long as its been running and neither gaining nor losing large portions of its fanbase. IF anyone wants to worry about something it should be Hero Academia continuing to rise from not trending at all to the show right below Super. It's got a ways to go before catching up to Super but its trending up and tracking in the top ten.

Something like One Piece is much more susceptible to changes in the base because it probably draws more casual fans who only tune in for the "good" parts.
Lol AoT is better than super and it's not on the list, this clearly proves that quality doesn't really reflect the rating as you were pointing out.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 pm

precita wrote:LOL, Boruto (the Naruto spinoff) didn't make the top 10 either.
Naruto would barely made top 10 and when it did it was because some big shows didn't aired that week.
Boruto chances are even smaller.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
Exactly, Super historically has little fluctuation based on what's actually currently running. Both it's strength as its weakness is that it has essentially held the same exact spot for as long as its been running and neither gaining nor losing large portions of its fanbase. IF anyone wants to worry about something it should be Hero Academia continuing to rise from not trending at all to the show right below Super. It's got a ways to go before catching up to Super but its trending up and tracking in the top ten.

Something like One Piece is much more susceptible to changes in the base because it probably draws more casual fans who only tune in for the "good" parts.
Lol AoT is better than super and it's not on the list, this clearly proves that quality doesn't really reflect the rating as you were pointing out.[/quote]
Reread. He's saying one piece is more susceptible to fluctuations considering how well known it is. It's more likely to have casual fans that only tune in when important parts of the story happen. He even puts up quotations around good.

On to your other statement. First, quality isn't up to you to decide. If the people who watch super enjoy it more than they would attack on Titan, than it's of higher quality to them.

Second, quality does have an impact. If its not a good show, it has less chances of being popular. Quality isn't the only factor in things like this, but to act like it means nothing is stupid. It's almost as stupid as Hero R saying power and screen time has nothing to do with a characters popularity.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:41 pm

SNK airs in late evening, which is hard to pull off a good rating.

BNHA has been fun so far(miles better than Season 1 which had Toei like pacing), but at some point they will run out of budget and get scenes to be DBS Episode 67 first half level of bad.

If BNHA ever surpasses DBS in the ratings, I could see 17 being the scapegoat and being trashed by Jiren or lets say the Piccolo episode gets defeated by BNHA, then Piccolo will get buried for good this time in the ToP..

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 pm

perucho1990 wrote:SNK airs in late evening, which is hard to pull off a good rating.

BNHA has been fun so far(miles better than Season 1 which had Toei like pacing), but at some point they will run out of budget and get scenes to be DBS Episode 67 first half level of bad.

If BNHA ever surpasses DBS in the ratings, I could see 17 being the scapegoat and being trashed by Jiren or lets say the Piccolo episode gets defeated by BNHA, then Piccolo will get buried for good this time in the ToP..
Yeah toei is going to change their whole storylines based on the drop of some percents eventhough the whole shows on that list dropped significantly for some reasons makes sense.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:And so, the rollercoaster that is Dragon Ball Super's TV ratings continues. :P
For Japan I never go by the rating merely the position since we don't know from week to week what factors are affecting it. The reason I go by position is because it it's a better indicator of trends and even when all shows ratings fall or rise the position usually remains consistent.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:33 pm

perucho1990 wrote: If BNHA ever surpasses DBS in the ratings, I could see 17 being the scapegoat and being trashed by Jiren or lets say the Piccolo episode gets defeated by BNHA, then Piccolo will get buried for good this time in the ToP..
It won't happen.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 am

The overreactions to the ratings in this thread week after week are absurd. Dragonball Super is usually the 6th or 7th most watched anime in Japan EACH WEEK. This is of the literally 50 something anime that air each week. Naruto never makes the charts, Dragonball beats Pokemon of all things which has been airing for 20 years non-stop.

The fact that a show like Curious George of all things makes this chart in Japan (a western created children's show/book), shows people take this stuff way too seriously. As said, Toei's shows also thrive on merchandize, and we saw from their latest reports Dragonball merch is selling great in Japan

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 am

Toei does more profit in sales THAN FREAKING CARTOON NETWORK. Nuff said!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 am

perucho1990 wrote:SNK airs in late evening, which is hard to pull off a good rating.

That's not how things work. Episodes are planned months in advance, they're not going to suddenly change an arc because fickle ratings.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 pm

kinisking wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:

Lol AoT is better than super and it's not on the list, this clearly proves that quality doesn't really reflect the rating as you were pointing out.
Reread. He's saying one piece is more susceptible to fluctuations considering how well known it is. It's more likely to have casual fans that only tune in when important parts of the story happen. He even puts up quotations around good.

On to your other statement. First, quality isn't up to you to decide. If the people who watch super enjoy it more than they would attack on Titan, than it's of higher quality to them.

Second, quality does have an impact. If its not a good show, it has less chances of being popular. Quality isn't the only factor in things like this, but to act like it means nothing is stupid. It's almost as stupid as Hero R saying power and screen time has nothing to do with a characters popularity.[/quote]

Well that's true indeed, i may have been carried away by some salt which could have blinded my judgement on that said moment. But just to clarify this, i didn't make that comment to force my opinion, as i know this is pretty subjective, it was just an example as the last episode of super was great but the rating low, and i was confirming that such rating wasn't what determined the quality of the ep. I may have phrased it wrong........
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Ratings for April 17 - April 23 (episode #87 of Super):
  1. Sazae-san (10.4%)
  2. Chibi Maruko-chan (8.5%)
  3. Doraemon (7.2%)
  4. One Piece (7.2%)
  5. Crayon Shin-chan (7.0%)
  6. Detective Conan (6.7%)
  7. Dragon Ball Super (5.5%)
  8. Pokémon - Sun and Moon (3.8%)
  9. Yokai Watch (3.5%)
  10. Shaun the Sheep (3.3%)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:42 pm

That's a little bit better than last week's. It's a shame less people saw 86; it had the better animation between it and 87 imo.
One Piece though, wow! It shot up from last week. People are excited to see the Whole Cake Island arc (Which I definitely get, it's very good.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:59 pm

Whole Cake Island has been a great arc in the OP Manga, so the rating was expected.

I'm surprised DBS rating increased, considering it was just 17 beating up scrubs, but I guess thats the hardcore japanese fans like curbstomp fights?, more surprised BNHA got kicked out of the Top 10 ranking.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:25 am

So, uh, where is the all mighty Hero Academia again, lol.
That show has got a great timeslot, and it's doing great, but 3-something is at its limit already. It's never going to get near Super score-wise.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 am

And here I thought that Boruto would match up with Super in the ratings.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:05 am

What the hell is Shaun the Sheep that it got better ratings than Hero Academia? guess people were excited about aliens coming in DBS.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:18 am

One piece got a major increase i don't get why DBS doesn't do the same but then again it's very consistent with the ranking it's always either 6th or 7th.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 am

Lapislettuce wrote:One piece got a major increase i don't get why DBS doesn't do the same but then again it's very consistent with the ranking it's always either 6th or 7th.
one piece has entered canon territory, DBS is in filler in canon mode.