Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed May 24, 2017 12:29 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
precita wrote: There is nothing more important on Sunday's than to watch a cartoon.
What about working?
Why would pre teen kids be working on sunday morning? Super is not aimed at adults
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed May 24, 2017 12:38 am

Latest Ratings
Sazae San: 12.6
Crayon Shin-chan: 8.0
one piece: 7.6
Doraemon: 7.5
Chibi Maruko-chan: 7.5
Detective Conan: 6.9
Dragon ball super(#91): 5.4
Anime Curious George: 3.9
Sean of sheep: 3.1
Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon: 3.0
Yo-kai watch: 3.0
My Hero Academia: 3.0

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Wed May 24, 2017 4:40 am

Sodhi wrote:Latest Ratings
viewtopic.php?p=1316246#p1316246

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed May 24, 2017 5:37 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:I'm confused as to what part about being in the top 10 is embarrassing.
Embarrassing wasn't right the word, but rather upsetting. It's very obvious Super's ratings are spiraling in a downward trend.
It's weird because he's both right and wrong. Yes this arcs ratings average is down vs it's previous arcs but we should take into context whether all shows have been experiencing a similar drop in the similar time frame. This is why the ranking gives us more insight than week to week ratings. However, using average ratings over Laing periods of time is also effective.

Therefore week to week performance should be based on ranking over other indicators while long term ratings averages and trends of the ratings should be used for judging long term performance. In either case Super has be absolutely unbelievably solid in terms of its ratings in general. Even long term and especially compared with other franchises. It's deviation from the mean on any given point in the trend is far far less than any other show listed.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed May 24, 2017 7:03 am

I think there'll be a decent uptick in the ratings once we get out of the preliminaries and into the meat of the Tournament of Power. This has been the most hyped arc of the series so far, and the way things are progressing, it looks like the tourney will start within the next 5 episodes or so.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Tue May 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Dragon Ball Super - TV Ratings for episode 92
1. Sazae - 9,9% (=)
2. Crayon Shin - 8,5% (=)
3. Chibi Maruko - 7,2% (+2)
4. Doraemon - 7,0% (=)
5. One Piece - 6,2% (-2)
6. Detective Conan - 5,6% (=)
7. Dragon Ball Super - 4,9% (=)
8. Pokemon Sun & Moon - 4,0% (+2)
9. Shaun the sheep - 3,8% (=)
10. Curious George - 3,6% (-2)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 pm

4.9? Yikes. I'm glad I'm not impacted by these ratings.

My guess: Everyone else is getting tired of waiting for the tournament to start and are tuning out until it begins. This is Super's longest string of "filler" after all.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Guess people are REALLY tired of Frieza huh?

LOL I'm A HYPOCRITE.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Heh, Yamcha's VA guest starred on Pokemon that week (they did a baseball themed episode just like Super did, and Yamcha played a character in the episode), looks like Pokemon got high ratings just for him.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 pm

OP decreased in ratings too, and BNHA out of the Top 10(though they will be back next week because even Horikoshi is hyping Deku vs Shouto being an amazing fight).

I think its clear the decrease in DBS ratings is due to excluding Buu, his fight vs Basil and sparring vs Goku did great in the ratings. Even the casuals fans on youtube looked very upset Buu wont fight in the ToP.(that isnt a good sign):

As for now it looks like a stupid decision by Toriyama excluding Buu, shouldve canned Roshi instead.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue May 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Pretty much everything above Super except Shin-chan was down this week compared to last week. Sazae dropped from 12.6 to 9.9. It's still in the same spot overall as last week.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue May 30, 2017 11:12 pm

perucho1990 wrote:OP decreased in ratings too, and BNHA out of the Top 10(though they will be back next week because even Horikoshi is hyping Deku vs Shouto being an amazing fight).

I think its clear the decrease in DBS ratings is due to excluding Buu, his fight vs Basil and sparring vs Goku did great in the ratings. Even the casuals fans on youtube looked very upset Buu wont fight in the ToP.(that isnt a good sign):

As for now it looks like a stupid decision by Toriyama excluding Buu, shouldve canned Roshi instead.
I doubt that since everything else also dropped this week.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 30, 2017 11:18 pm

Freeza's ep next week is bound to get a boost, some will watch it merely out of curiosity. But overall ratings fluctuate regardless of content. Kids can't watch the show that week, adults watch it on the internet instead, etc.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Tue May 30, 2017 11:18 pm

people are gonna act like these ratings are bad even know they are higher than over 30 other anime series that are airing across japan.

And 7 has been super's main spot since it firsted aired and a bunch of the other top anime ratings are down this week.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue May 30, 2017 11:21 pm

HeroR wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:OP decreased in ratings too, and BNHA out of the Top 10(though they will be back next week because even Horikoshi is hyping Deku vs Shouto being an amazing fight).

I doubt that since everything else also dropped this week.
Oh, now the other shows matter to you.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:30 pm

precita wrote:Freeza's ep next week is bound to get a boost, some will watch it merely out of curiosity. But overall ratings fluctuate regardless of content. Kids can't watch the show that week, adults watch it on the internet instead, etc.
That and BNHA should be back in the Top 10, maybe threat DBS spot, because the upcoming BNHA episode is being heavily hyped in Japan, even Horikoshi(the mangaka) said that the episode was so amazing that he cried.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue May 30, 2017 11:34 pm

kinisking wrote: Oh, now the other shows matter to you.
Don't be mad that Gohan isn't a big draw :P

Goku vs. Hit still got good rating despite airing on Christmas over the Saiyanman episodes.

Besides, more than anything the ratings are 'low' because we're still in build up after several months and people want to see the tournament now.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed May 31, 2017 3:18 am

Well thats false because Buu had the lowest rank out of the 3 preliminaries.

The problem is we are still basically in filler and everyone knows it.

But if this keeps happening, I can see them doing some really desperate moves.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 am

Totamo wrote:

Well thats false because Buu had the lowest rank out of the 3 preliminaries.

The problem is we are still basically in filler and everyone knows it.

But if this keeps happening, I can see them doing some really desperate moves.
The last few episodes haven't been "filler". And filler never really effect ratings, look at One Piece.

And what desperate moves? They can't changed the story and it isn't like Super is dropping from the top ten.
Kanassa wrote:

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Wed May 31, 2017 5:15 am

My god people are so damn stupid,if you are under 12 I could perhaps understand that you don't know how to analyse data but I will teach you people a lesson in basic math, there was a general downward trend in all anime that week. One Piece went from a 7.6 to a 6.2, that's 1.4 decrease and went down from 3rd to 5th, comparatively Dragonball Super had a 0.5 decrease going from a 5.4 to a 4.9 yet remained in it's Usual place. Sazae San the Highest rated show went from a 12.6 to a 9.9 that's a 2.7 decrease. What we can extrapolate from the data with which we are presented is that in general fewer people overall were watching TV that week, that is all, content is irrelevant and with regards to Dragonball the slight decrease as compared to other shows suggests that it isn't losing a significant amount of viewership considering that it has remained more or less in the same position in the rating for the past 2 years!!!