Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:Also people should stop caring for ratings. These ratings mostly refer to kids till 14 at most years old. Kids who don't care for bloody battles and prefer butt jokes. Merchandise sales are crucial. Everything else is unimportant. Especially, when db is loved in every official streaming site
I'm honestly not quite sure how it works on TV in Japan, but my impression is an advertiser wants to sell something (here: Toys, games, tie-in products like happy meals), so they help dish out the money to put these shows on the air. The shows push the advertiser merchandise, and the merchandise sales go back into more shows, projects, and of course profit. If someone knows more details, I'd love to hear!

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:Also people should stop caring for ratings. These ratings mostly refer to kids till 14 at most years old. Kids who don't care for bloody battles and prefer butt jokes. Merchandise sales are crucial. Everything else is unimportant. Especially, when db is loved in every official streaming site
I'm honestly not quite sure how it works on TV in Japan, but my impression is an advertiser wants to sell something (here: Toys, games, tie-in products like happy meals), so they help dish out the money to put these shows on the air. The shows push the advertiser merchandise, and the merchandise sales go back into more shows, projects, and of course profit. If someone knows more details, I'd love to hear!
Is the same. And you got Add Time divided in 2 forms. The between a show, and the Between shows. A Show has to buy the Adds between their shows, this is normally done by sponsors paying for that add time. The Between show is the TV Station that sells it.

Is important for the producers of the show that the show is popular for Sponsor to keep putting money in the slot, and is important that the show is popular for the TV Station to be able to sells the Between Shows Add Time, because if it isn't popular the Station can't sell that add time for much and himself substitutes the show.

Seeing how much money TV Ratings bring is hard because is not a fixed quantity and it has mainly to do with internal contracts between the stakeholders. But, for people thinking that Merchandise is amazing and TV isn't, note that Merchandise is the worst cost-sales effective product you can sell. This meaning that for each toy you sell, only around 15-20% of it is profit.
Toei Animation entire operation brings them 38.1% of profit. Bandai Namco has a 10.2% Operating profit, and the Toy & Hobby section(their 2nd biggest section) brings only 6.1%.
So before saying that Merchandising is everything, remember that merchandising is spend a lot of money and earn little profit from it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I doubt there is any plan for how long Super will run at this point, unless they are planning an immediate sequel. This show will likely run until Dragon Ball isn't making enough money anymore.
After GT ended they still made games and merch though.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:42 am

If Nozawa gets too sick to act or passes away in the next few years, Super will almost definitely come to a close. If it happens in the middle of an arc they'll just do a quick sound-a-like to finish up whatever saga they're in, but they probably won't plan a new saga after that. You don't recast a voice as iconic as Goku in Japan for 30+ years.

Toriyama probably wouldn't want Dragonball to continue without her either, so I bet he'd stop working with Toei at that point.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:43 am

precita wrote:If Nozawa gets too sick to act or passes away in the next few years, Super will almost definitely come to a close. If it happens in the middle of an arc they'll just do a quick sound-a-like to finish up whatever saga they're in, but they probably won't plan a new saga after that. You don't recast a voice as iconic as Goku in Japan for 30+ years.

Toriyama probably wouldn't want Dragonball to continue without her either, so I bet he'd stop working with Toei at that point.
If Nozawa gets too sick to act or passes away in the next few years, they will replaced her. Not sure why people think they will cancel Super with Nozawa's death since Toei tried to have her replaced for Battle of Gods. They know very well she's old.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 am

Source. For the "They wanted to replace Nozawa for BoG"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:32 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Source. For the "They wanted to replace Nozawa for BoG"
It was actually in one of the podcasts on this site. You have to asked VegettoEX which one though. I think he may have provided a link in the Announcement forums, but that was months ago so it got buried.

The exact story was that Toei was trying to get Toriyama to listen to these new actresses to play Goku. He then asked Nozawa if she was too expensive. That's partly why Nozawa have been saying that she's 'Son Goku until she's dies' since Toei is fully aware she's up in age and they seriously wanted Toriyama to consider replacing her.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:41 am

If anyone, for better or worse, is Dragon Ball personified its Toriyama. If he didnt want to replace Nozawa then what makes you think they will later?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Bigivel wrote:
precita wrote:I imagine the plan for Super is a 5 year run. We're in year 2, so I imagine another 3 years and that'll be it.

Super will have over 200 episodes by the end of the 5th year, so that be nearly as long as DBZ's run.

The initial plan was only around 2 years. So I would assume they will extend this arc a little bit, and then decide if they will continue and with what.
Almost half of the two years were shitty retellings of movies we've already seen. I personally don't truly count Super's content until the start of the Champa arc.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:00 pm

omaro34 wrote: Almost half of the two years were shitty retellings of movies we've already seen. I personally don't truly count Super's content until the start of the Champa arc.
What does your personally feelings have to do with what was stated?
Kanassa wrote:

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:43 pm

HeroR wrote:
omaro34 wrote: Almost half of the two years were shitty retellings of movies we've already seen. I personally don't truly count Super's content until the start of the Champa arc.
What does your personally feelings have to do with what was stated?
I'm just adding my two cents. And it's true. With the exception of minor differences, it's the same damn story. It was a pain to go through, and yes technically Super did begin two summers ago, but without new real content a show isn't truly walking on it's own two feet.

That's why I always tell people who want to start watching Super to watch the two movies then start from the universe six tournament arc. They aren't missing anything.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:10 am

omaro34 wrote: I'm just adding my two cents. And it's true. With the exception of minor differences, it's the same damn story. It was a pain to go through, and yes technically Super did begin two summers ago, but without new real content a show isn't truly walking on it's own two feet.

That's why I always tell people who want to start watching Super to watch the two movies then start from the universe six tournament arc. They aren't missing anything.
But that really doesn't matter since Super started on Episode 1 regardless if you feel it started on Episode 2. Just like the Boruto manga started in Chapter 1, despite it retelling the Boruto movie and the Boruto anime started back even further back from the movie.

And when I tell people about Super, I tell them to make up their own minds about if they want to see the retellings or the movies. Shocking as it is, some people actually do like the retellings and people should be free the make up their own minds. And they're are missing stuff from the retellings, which is why we still have fans thinking Beerus used 70% of his power against Super Saiyan God or have no understanding that Goku and Vegeta's base forms do not have god ki.
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 am

It was actually the movie re-tellings and the shitty animation at the start that gave Super such a negative reception for nearly its entire first year. Even the Champa tournament didn't really do much for the casual fanbase.

It wasn't until the Goku Black/Zamasu arc started that people started taking Super seriously as a proper continuation of DBZ.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:35 am

The Battle of Gods saga was pretty good overall, it was the animation of Episode 5 where people started to jump on the whiners bandwagon.

The Resurrection F saga was where the real problem was. Even then it wasn't​ a year, it was only half a year. The Future Trunks saga all but saved the series.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:52 am

Bullza wrote:The Battle of Gods saga was pretty good overall, it was the animation of Episode 5 where people started to jump on the whiners bandwagon.

The Resurrection F saga was where the real problem was. Even then it wasn't​ a year, it was only half a year. The Future Trunks saga all but saved the series.
It really didn't since Super was making a lot of money since it first aired and even the Resurrection 'F' Saga wasn't enough to knock Super out of the top ten. Future Trunks Saga's got great ratings, but 'saving the series' is overdoing it. It only 'saved the series' to the internet fandom which is a small minority of Dragon Ball.
precita wrote:It was actually the movie re-tellings and the shitty animation at the start that gave Super such a negative reception for nearly its entire first year. Even the Champa tournament didn't really do much for the casual fanbase.

It wasn't until the Goku Black/Zamasu arc started that people started taking Super seriously as a proper continuation of DBZ.
You are aware the internet isn't the entire fanbase, right?
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 am

Why would casual fans or kids think any different?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 am

precita wrote:Why would casual fans or kids think any different?
The internet fandom is extremely critical of Resurrection 'F' and called it inferior to Battle of Gods, which many called the best Dragon Ball Z movie. Resurrection 'F' not only made more money than Battle of Gods, it got equal to higher reviews for 'fixing' what people hated about Battle of Gods. Namely, they found it too slow pace, almost no fighting, and too gag filled, stuff the core base loves. Broly who the core base loves to hate is beloved to the point that Kale was created.

So yes, the internet fandom doesn't always share the same interests or viewpoints as the more casual fans.
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:10 am

These days though...almost everyone who is a fan of any show/tv series/cartoon/anime/movie, etc...is on the internet...somewhere. You can even find people talking about Super on social media sites like twitter or tumblr. We're not in 1995 anymore when the internet was some new thing people didn't know about. What average fan today has never come to the internet to discuss something they like? This is the modern year of 2017 not 1997. A lot has changed over the last 20 years.

As for kids, well, they've likely just recently got into the Dragonball franchise and Super might be their first exposure to it besides Kai, so it doesn't make much of a difference as they're new fans.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:15 am

precita wrote:These days though...almost everyone who is a fan of any show/tv series/cartoon/anime/movie, etc...is on the internet...somewhere. You can even find people talking about Super on social media sites like twitter or tumblr. We're not in 1995 anymore when the internet was some new thing people didn't know about. What average fan today has never come to the internet to discuss something they like? This is the modern year of 2017 not 1997. A lot has changed over the last 20 years.

As for kids, well, they've likely just recently got into the Dragonball franchise and Super might be their first exposure to it besides Kai, so it doesn't make much of a difference as they're new fans.
That's not really true and even if a lot of people used the internet, not everyone go to fan boards like this and post their thoughts. The fact that Resurrection 'F' get riles on a lot online, yet is highly successfully and has ratings that rivals Battle of Gods, the Dragon Ball fandom gem, tells us that clearly. Heck, took a Teen Titans Go. It's one of CN's highest rating show, but everyone on the internet hates it. The same with the Transformer movies and Twilight.

Just because they're new doesn't mean you can just dismissed how they feel.
Kanassa wrote:

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:35 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:"In 2017, the peak of the Obon travel season is anticipated to take place between August 11 and August 20. The busiest days are expected to be around August 11-12 with people leaving the big cities and August 15-16 with people returning to the big cities."
That's why everything was low, it was a big festival week.
I can vouch this, was having the time of my life going out :lol: cant miss them beautiful fireworks. Overall just a thought but summer season in Japan usually has a lot of festivities and people here prefers going out when its summer, mid autumn and winter is where people go straight home watching tv not doing so much activities outside due to cold weather.