Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Theophrastus wrote:I get the impression that the hour-long nature of the specials for DBS and One Piece hurt the ratings more than it helped (as in, the number is lower because it's averaged over a longer span of time than usual).

Still, we now have "real" evidence of how the two series perform in a vacuum relative to each other.
The lower ratings are almost definitely due to Kamen Rider and Super Sentai being moved into the same timeslot.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:28 pm

Asura wrote:I'm not really familiar with how these ratings work, but Super only being around the middle of the list for the 1hr special doesn't look too good, does it?
Super usually places around 5-7th place, which would be average.
Feels over Reals.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm really worried. While I do wish the One Piece anime to be cancelled so more time can be spent animating it properly with no hideous stretching there's also the possiblity that it could be a cancelled for good. Same for Super.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm really worried. While I do wish the One Piece anime to be cancelled so more time can be spent animating it properly with no hideous stretching there's also the possiblity that it could be a cancelled for good. Same for Super.
both shows are still doing better than the vast majority of anime, including ones that are considered popular like Naruto, Pokemon and Precure.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Asura wrote:I'm not really familiar with how these ratings work, but Super only being around the middle of the list for the 1hr special doesn't look too good, does it?
But shouldn't it have risen given this is a special and the debut of Goku's new form?

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: I hope you're joking, the rating has little to do with Jiren.
He isnt interesting aside from just being strong, and most japanese fans probably knew Goku wasnt going to win.

The biggest failure among antagonists in Shounen, almost beaten by Pokemon.

If Jiren were like lets say Xicor then maybe it couldve done better.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm really worried. While I do wish the One Piece anime to be cancelled so more time can be spent animating it properly with no hideous stretching there's also the possiblity that it could be a cancelled for good. Same for Super.
I don't know much about how Japanese Television works, but I highly doubt FujiTV'll cancel Super. I can see them moving it to a different time-slot or a day.
Feels over Reals.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 pm

perucho1990 wrote:If Jiren were like lets say Xicor then maybe it couldve done better.
As if Xicor wasn't a coldsteel character himself.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Suoer's 1 hour episode only getting a 3.5 makes it the lowest rated episode yet.

Whelp, that's it guys. Time to pack it up and go home. If Goku's new form, a 1 hour special promotion and a fight against the main antagonist of the arc can't help Super, then nothing will. It's been a good run, perhaps Super will end around this time next year.

It's been fun guys.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm sure this has been brought up a million times but Super airs at like 9am doesn't it? That's definitely the real problem here, not for the special necessarily but for overall. It's too bad there's no room for an afternoon slot.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:37 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote: As if Xicor wasn't a coldsteel character himself.
He had a personality(annoying one) but he had a personality.

Jiren is just nothing, Toei thought that just him being strong wouldve caught interest with the fans and it has backfired, some of the writers and episode directors should be given the boot too imo.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: I hope you're joking, the rating has little to do with Jiren.
He isnt interesting aside from just being strong, and most japanese fans probably knew Goku wasnt going to win.

The biggest failure among antagonists in Shounen, almost beaten by Pokemon.

If Jiren were like lets say Xicor then maybe it couldve done better.
So did Jiren also cause OP to have a much lower rating than normal?
The ratings are lower because of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote: As if Xicor wasn't a coldsteel character himself.
He had a personality(annoying one) but he had a personality.

Jiren is just nothing, Toei thought that just him being strong wouldve caught interest with the fans and it has backfired, some of the writers and episode directors should be given the boot too imo.
Xicor was in Super. Except he had a different background, entirely different clothes, and ultimately called Goku Black.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Asura wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
But shouldn't it have risen given this is a special and the debut of Goku's new form?
Toei didn't really promote this special like that, compared to what one piece got anyway.

In fact, many myself included thought this special was an afterthought and one piece was the main deal.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:41 pm

So many great anime don't crack the Top 10 most of the time (Boku No Hero as an example.)

Super's been in Top 10 for all of it's 109 weeks, it's actually doing very, very good.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:41 pm

OP: It was mostly filled with flashbacks and not much fans were expecting anything from Sanji vs Luffy because it wasnt going to have the emotional impact Luffy vs Ussop had.

Manga Black was basically Xicor, Anime Black was more flamboyant, smart(like current Freeza is imo).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Nekis13 wrote:So many great anime don't crack the Top 10 most of the time (Boku No Hero as an example.)

Super's been in Top 10 for all of it's 109 weeks, it's actually doing very, very good.
But the thing is those shows have planned endings, at some point. Super seems like it will only go on as long until ratings support it. Since there is no manga to follow this time.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 pm

At this point, a timeslot change on both shows will likely end up on the cards for FujiTV. A Wednesday night slot to compete with Pokémon would be fine
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 pm

precita wrote:
Nekis13 wrote:So many great anime don't crack the Top 10 most of the time (Boku No Hero as an example.)

But the thing is those shows have planned endings, at some point. Super seems like it will only go on as long until ratings support it. Since there is no manga to follow this time.
That shouldn't matter. You never see Naruto/Boruto in top 10 and that show is as far from danger as it could be.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:At this point, a timeslot change on both shows will likely end up on the cards for FujiTV. A Wednesday night slot to compete with Pokémon would be fine
Putting Dragonball in direct competition with Pokemon isn't a good idea either, both shows would eat each others viewership up.