Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:08 am

These ratings are only so low because of the FAKE negative “Spoilers” that came out before the actual episode aired and contradicted that. Way to go japanese fans, you only did what felt right at the time.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:10 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:These ratings are only so low because of the FAKE negative “Spoilers” that came out before the actual episode aired and contradicted that. Way to go japanese fans, you only did what felt right at the time.
This is a big generalization of why the ratings were "low" (even though it was the forth most watched show...), there are many other potential explanations for why the episode didn't have "a lot" of viewing:

* Sharing time slot (in a different network) with another popular show (I remember this being mentioned several pages ago, cant remember the name of that other show), thus spliting audience.
* Some people would want to do something else instead of watching a Sunday morning cartoon that day.
* Burnout due how long it's been going, thus some watchers either dropping or not invested enough to consistently watch it every Sunday morning.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:22 pm

I can't wait for Super to end so that we don't have to keep on explaining the same old stuff evety single week. For the last time, Super is consistantly in the top 10 most watched animes and has been so since episode one. It is usually the number 2 shounen after One Piece. Baruto, My Hero Academia and Pokemon cant even compete with Supers ratings yet no one calls the failures.Ratings often have very little to do with actaul episode content. The sample size of ratings only comes from one region in Japan and doesn't reflect its entire viewership.
Despite its supposed "low ratings" Super was never cancelled unlike what all the idiots were saying on this thread for the last 2 years.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:00 pm

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:I can't wait for Super to end so that we don't have to keep on explaining the same old stuff evety single week. For the last time, Super is consistantly in the top 10 most watched animes and has been so since episode one. It is usually the number 2 shounen after One Piece. Baruto, My Hero Academia and Pokemon cant even compete with Supers ratings yet no one calls the failures.Ratings often have very little to do with actaul episode content. The sample size of ratings only comes from one region in Japan and doesn't reflect its entire viewership.
Despite its supposed "low ratings" Super was never cancelled unlike what all the idiots were saying on this thread for the last 2 years.
On top of everything you said. The other shows were also down I mean OP pulling a mere 5%? So it's obvious something was going on, on Sunday morning.

That's been another problem on this thread people isolating DBS' scores and not looking at context.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Dragon Ball Super's rating is fine considering One Piece has a 5.0% itself.

I remember when One Piece used to get 11% ratings.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:21 pm

The series was never out of top 10... I think it did pretty good.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Bullza wrote:Dragon Ball Super's rating is fine considering One Piece has a 5.0% itself.

I remember when One Piece used to get 11% ratings.
Sazae used to get around 15%. It hasn't come close to that for quite some time.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:These ratings are only so low because of the FAKE negative “Spoilers” that came out before the actual episode aired and contradicted that. Way to go japanese fans, you only did what felt right at the time.
But, it still in the top 10 in ratings though.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 pm

Yes I’m sure every single person in this strange land called Japan read the spoilers and decided to boycott the last two episodes of the show.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:29 am

I just realised the only 3 anime (Conan, DBS, OP) I'm watching right, are the Top 3 in Japan :lol:

Conan I'm legit watching out of childhood nostalgia, OP is just fresh to me since I only picked it up recently, and DBS is the double combo of nostalgia + freshness :D

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 pm

And DBS ends with a 5.7% rating.

http://www.videor.co.jp/tvrating/index.html

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 pm

5th place at 5.7's not bad at all! :mrgreen:

I can't help wondering if it would've been higher had the ToP not been as long an arc as it was, but that's neither here nor there.

Congrats, Super! I hope the show returns someday.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:18 pm

Good Job to Super's Final Act! :thumbup:

Also, I am Still VERY Happy HUG Uh! Pretty Cure is just Behind Super in 6th place, WOW, Very Happy, So far with what I have watched it is a Great Season! :clap:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:23 am

5th place not bad, Good job Super with the final episode.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:06 am

DBS successfully managed to stay in top 10 list for every episode.Congrats Super,and i hope you return next year.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:30 am

Oh I'd forgot about this. A 5.7% is pretty good I guess, it's the best ratings since Episode 100 also got a 5.7%. Otherwise the first episode of the Tournament got a 6.0%.

But yeah it was always in the Top 10, infact with four exceptions it was always in the Top 8.

I'll be glad to not update this anymore though. For anyone who still doesn't know, every rating for every episode is in the first post in the topic.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Chuquita wrote:5th place at 5.7's not bad at all! :mrgreen:

I can't help wondering if it would've been higher had the ToP not been as long an arc as it was, but that's neither here nor there.

Congrats, Super! I hope the show returns someday.
It's not a bad place to end. Its still that the show ended in the top 10 and never left it during its run.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:37 pm

TheRed259 wrote:GeGeGe no Kitaro surpassed One Piece.
https://www.db-z.com/audiences-gegege-no-kitaro
Not surprised really. One piece ratings are rightfully low. The show has been shit for quite some time.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:01 pm

TheRed259 wrote:GeGeGe no Kitaro surpassed One Piece.
https://www.db-z.com/audiences-gegege-no-kitaro
I did some Kitaro research the other day; watched the 1st episode of the new show, all the openings and then the pilot for the original (with then 32-year-old Masako Nozawa) and the pilot for Hakaba Kitaro.

-The new show has incredible atmosphere and the color schemes are gorgeous, but the modern-day characters mostly look pretty generic. I enjoyed the episode, but after being wow'd by Hakaba (which I went through 5 of the 11 episodes of so far) I can't see myself going back next weekend for episode 2. Nozawa's Kitaro's dad in this new one and I'm actually really impressed how she captured the other voice actor's performance while still sounding distinctly her.

-Black and white totally lends itself to 1968 Kitaro's atmosphere, and it's cool to hear such a young Nozawa, but wow a lot of these character designs have that oddly Rocky and Bullwinkle look to them with the exception of the shockingly anachronistic two-armed Graveler-type yokai who miraculously has a Family Guy style face that stands out like a sore thumb against the other designs.

-Hakaba (the 2008 late night Kitaro show that's supposed to be closer to the original manga) somehow despite having Yamamuro on character designs looks really, really good. He lost his touch with Dragon Ball designs, but man can he handle both the realistic noir characters and the super cartoony looking characters. BOG's storyboard guy Chioka is also on this show. Nozawa is Kitaro in this one too, but she sounds a lot more like Goku here than she does in the original. (If you don't care to seek it out, 1968 Kitaro sounds like her Cell arc Gohan except both Nozawa and everyone else speak incredibly quickly).

Also I learned that Kitaro's manga creator was left-handed, lost his left arm, and had to learn how to draw his right arm. As someone who's only tried writing with their non-dominant hand for fun and seen how difficult it is I can't even imagine training to draw as an adult with your non-dominant hand.

If Toei could pull it off somehow I'd love to see them do an 11 episode late night series for Dragon Ball the way they did for Kitaro. It's real good and I'm looking forward to finishing it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!