Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:25 pm

Pokemon is beating Dragonball in ratings again, similar to the early 2000's for the dub. What a time to be alive.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:08 pm

Pokemon has a different time slot so I wouldn't worry about them.

As for 7th place....universe 3 wasn't really hyped up all that much anyway; also it's Christmas, even though it's a secular holiday in Japan it's still a big enough holiday where I'm betting people are busy traveling or something.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 pm

They dont travel, but they do go out on dates. Like I said on the Christmas thread, Christmas is mostly to spend it with your significant other and being lovey dovey with them.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:06 am

I forgot the ep aired Dec. 23rd, even if Christmas isn't that big in Japan I guess it airing so close to the holidays might be a reason for the low viewership.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:59 am

precita wrote:I forgot the ep aired Dec. 23rd, even if Christmas isn't that big in Japan I guess it airing so close to the holidays might be a reason for the low viewership.
Didn't it air early on the 24th? In any case, Xmas isn't that much of a thing in Japan as far as I know, definitely not something that would affect the average household if they're not christian. However, I think winter vacations started last weekend, so that might've played a role in the diminished viewership. I'm sure plenty of people are away on holiday during this time.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:21 am

Lol.

It did air on the 24th.
Stop saying it didn't affect the ratings in any way.

LOOK AT ONE PIECE'S SCORE. :p

5.0% . DBS lost 0.6% from last week, One Piece's fall was enormous, it lost twice that.

Pokemon airs on thursday, so yeah makes sense it would beat it.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:55 am

Can we close this thread for discussions? It makes no sense... Just post the TV ratings and that's it

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:39 am

Slaythe wrote:Lol.
It did air on the 24th.
I'm guessing that the episode thread is what's tripping people up. Normally those threads use the Japanese dates, but 121's thread was made by a regular user who accidentally went America-centric, and the "error" hasn't been corrected.
[spoiler]Handy guide to what countries it aired on the 23rd in:
- All American countries, generally speaking
- Greenland
- Some small islands west of Europe and Africa, or east of the international date line
Where it aired on the 24th:
- Almost all of Europe
- Almost all of Africa
- All of Asia
- The majority of Oceania (Australia and neighbours)[/spoiler]
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:10 am

Michsi wrote:I haven't. Fans seem to like it better than the retellings and the Champa arc, but not the FT arc. I like this arc better than the last one because it uses more of the main cast, but from my perusal of several sites (excluding reddit) FT still seems to be the favorite. Again, this is my personal assessment from what I've gathered, but I'd love to see a an actual poll one day.
I made this poll on the wiki

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Out of almost 2,800 votes the Universe Survival saga has 75% of the votes when it comes to people's favourite saga. The Future Trunks saga then has 18%.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:39 am

Bullza wrote:
Michsi wrote:I haven't. Fans seem to like it better than the retellings and the Champa arc, but not the FT arc. I like this arc better than the last one because it uses more of the main cast, but from my perusal of several sites (excluding reddit) FT still seems to be the favorite. Again, this is my personal assessment from what I've gathered, but I'd love to see a an actual poll one day.

Out of almost 2,800 votes the Universe Survival saga has 75% of the votes when it comes to people's favourite saga. The Future Trunks saga then has 18%.
This is fantastic news. I still say it's a little early because this arc isn't over and fresh in people's mind, BUT I hope this will remain accurate. If only to prove that the more you use the main cast, the better.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:52 am

Michsi wrote:
Bullza wrote:

This is fantastic news. I still say it's a little early because this arc isn't over and fresh in people's mind, BUT I hope this will remain accurate. If only to prove that the more you use the main cast, the better.
The ending and freeza are going to make and break this arc.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:55 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Bullza wrote:

Agreed, though most didn't like the FT arc's ending either.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Michsi wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Agreed, though most didn't like the FT arc's ending either.
Let's just hope for the best and not the worst. Unlike others on the Internet, we should want Super to have the best ending possible and not hoping it will mess up so you can say "told you so."
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Arwen

Post by Arwen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:23 am

Bullza wrote:

Actually that poll was created 3 months ago, when all the people was hyped with this arc, but right now everyone is tired, those rating are low, and each week the ratings are lower and lower. Also creating a poll when a saga is not finished yet is not accurate to prove that this saga is fan's favourite. Let's try to be realistic for once: the writing is poor, the power scale is out of control, the rhytm of the saga is poor, the characters are written like a parody...It's not because it was Christmas Day, it is because the quality of the show is poor.

Wanting the best for the serie sometimes means to be critic with the quality and demanding something better than a weekly show that it's falling apart.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:54 am

Arwen wrote:Actually that poll was created 3 months ago, when all the people was hyped with this arc, but right now everyone is tired, those rating are low, and each week the ratings are lower and lower. Also creating a poll when a saga is not finished yet is not accurate to prove that this saga is fan's favourite. Let's try to be realistic for once: the writing is poor, the power scale is out of control, the rhytm of the saga is poor, the characters are written like a parody...It's not because it was Christmas Day, it is because the quality of the show is poor.

Wanting the best for the serie sometimes means to be critic with the quality and demanding something better than a weekly show that it's falling apart.
Who is this everybody that's tired with the saga? The percentage share has only increased if anything since people were hyped for the saga.

The ratings are low because of competition and a general decline in ratings for all shows so it isn't exclusive to Dragon Ball Super.

It's all just Dragon Ball, it's never had spectacular writing, the power scale has always been out of control and they were all bogged down with about 50% filler.

Arwen

Post by Arwen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Bullza wrote:
Arwen wrote:Actually that poll was created 3 months ago, when all the people was hyped with this arc, but right now everyone is tired, those rating are low, and each week the ratings are lower and lower. Also creating a poll when a saga is not finished yet is not accurate to prove that this saga is fan's favourite. Let's try to be realistic for once: the writing is poor, the power scale is out of control, the rhytm of the saga is poor, the characters are written like a parody...It's not because it was Christmas Day, it is because the quality of the show is poor.

Who is this everybody that's tired with the saga? The percentage share has only increased if anything since people were hyped for the saga.

The ratings are low because of competition and a general decline in ratings for all shows so it isn't exclusive to Dragon Ball Super.

It's all just Dragon Ball, it's never had spectacular writing, the power scale has always been out of control and they were all bogged down with about 50% filler.
If you say that due to competition the ratings are low, then you are saying that the other shows are better, so yes, if Dragon Ball Super was a good show competition won't be a problem. Other shows are not declining, Detective Conan is doing great, even time Bokan or Pokemon are surpassing DBS. If we need to extrapolate something from these rating is that Toei is wasting two of its greatest shows: One Piece and Dragon Ball Super due to bad writing, bad animation and low budget for making those series.

Dragon Ball, the manga, may not be the greates show of them all, but Toriyama mantained some quality and the power scale had some coherence. Right now, the anime's coherence is out of control, one day Goku uses Blue, the other day SSJ3, etc...without not logic, he even gets stronger fighting others instead of having rest....that's not coherence is the writting of one show for 5 years old kids and by people who probably have never read one page of Toriyama's manga.

The fact is that probably the show is ending in march because we can't continue with more sagas without destroying the coherence of the end of the manga. The best thing now for DB is to end and focus in other things like making movies or tv specials and not a poor show with a lot of filler and poor writing.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Arwen wrote:If you say that due to competition the ratings are low, then you are saying that the other shows are better, so yes, if Dragon Ball Super was a good show competition won't be a problem.
No that's silly, there was a timeslot change and now other popular shows air at the same time as Super and One Piece. All four shows have declined in ratings because of this because obviously they're stealing from each other.
Other shows are not declining
Yes they are. One Piece has a 5.0% this week. It's getting equal or inferior ratings to what Super had last year. That series used to have in the 10% range and has continually decreased since.
Dragon Ball, the manga, may not be the greates show of them all, but Toriyama mantained some quality and the power scale had some coherence. Right now, the anime's coherence is out of control, one day Goku uses Blue, the other day SSJ3, etc...
What does that have to do with power scale? The power scale was just as fuzzy with Z hence the endless debates over power levels for over a decade.
The fact is that probably the show is ending in march because we can't continue with more sagas without destroying the coherence of the end of the manga.
It's a fact that probably something might happen? That's not how facts work. It's​ a fact that it is not a fact that it will end in March.

Arwen

Post by Arwen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Bullza wrote: No that's silly, there was a timeslot change and now other popular shows air at the same time as Super and One Piece. All four shows have declined in ratings because of this because obviously they're stealing from each other.
Not, that's not silly, when a show, or a movie or a book is good the audience supports it. If the audience starts to watch other shows is because people is tired and wants something new or different. As I said in my previous posts, it's happenning also with One Piece (very curious that both shows are from Toei).
Yes they are. One Piece has a 5.0% this week. It's getting equal or inferior ratings to what Super had last year. That series used to have in the 10% range and has continually decreased since.
Like I said One Piece is getting the same treatment of DBS. Toei is making cheap shows with bad animation and a lot of filler, the audience is searching for something more appealing.
What does that have to do with power scale? The power scale was just as fuzzy with Z hence the endless debates over power levels for over a decade.
Actually the manga describes pretty well the power scales, the problems is the people tends to mix the anime and the manga and that's creates confusion and misunderstanding. Right now is impossible to make a power scale when one day Mutenroshi seems to be more powerful than the Freezer of Namek, Goku uses with no coherence SSJ God, SSJ3 or SSJ Blue or Kefla and Caulifla only needs one hour of training to get a SSJ2. That's bad written because the writters want to justify equality in some fights or forgot what power scale does each character has.

It's a fact that probably something might happen? That's not how facts work. It's​ a fact that it is not a fact that it will end in March.
We are almost in 2018 and we don't anything new about a new saga. They announced a new movie and probably, if they want to make a good movie they will need resources (writers, animation staff...) to be concentrated in that movie, so if very unlikely that they will continue the series if they need to focus in the movie and make some decent work. It's very strange that we don't have any news about a new saga or a glimpse like we had in the past with other sagas. The big announcement of this year has been the new movie and probably they will need to make a break and end Super because they need to respect the end of the manga, so more sagas will not be a very likely option.

Anyway we are talking about the ratings and the fact is that the ratings are very low, in the last months new shows are attracting the audience and that's have made Super's rating to drop. I don't understand why people wants to justify the bad ratings, this is only the result of the a bad management from Toei and may have some positive impact if they try to make the show better to recover the public that they are losing. Bad results are not a negative thing is they serve as purpouse for telling Toei or the people who are creating a show that they are not doing the things in a proper way.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Arwen wrote:Not, that's not silly, when a show, or a movie or a book is good the audience supports it. If the audience starts to watch other shows is because people is tired and wants something new or different.
They are supporting it, that's why this fiscal reports are higher than they've ever been.

People aren't starting to watch other shows, these are other popular shows that people had already been watching for years and are now continuing to do so at a different time.

That's taking away viewers from One Piece and DBS as well as those other two shows.
Like I said One Piece is getting the same treatment of DBS. Toei is making cheap shows with bad animation and a lot of filler, the audience is searching for something more appealing.
Again that's still happening to other shows as well. Sazae which had a 12% this week used to get in the 17% range. DBS doesn't even have filler at the moment and it's animation is better now than it was before when it had higher ratings.

Right now is impossible to make a power scale when one day Mutenroshi seems to be more powerful than the Freezer of Namek, Goku uses with no coherence SSJ God, SSJ3 or SSJ Blue or Kefla and Caulifla only needs one hour of training to get a SSJ2. That's bad written because the writters want to justify equality in some fights or forgot what power scale does each character has.
They never said Roshi was stronger than Frieza on Namek. Krillin was still said to be the strongest Earthling, Roshi isn't even as strong as him.

There's nothing wrong with how Goku has used his forms as it's usually explain and Kefla had Super Saiyan 2 because Caulifla had Super Saiyan 2 and she got the form because she's already powerful enough to get it.

Goku trained years in the afterlife to get Super Saiyan 3. Goten and Trunks were little brats who who went into the Rosat and learned it in a few days.
We are almost in 2018 and we don't anything new about a new saga. They announced a new movie and probably, if they want to make a good movie they will need resources (writers, animation staff...) to be concentrated in that movie, so if very unlikely that they will continue the series if they need to focus in the movie and make some decent work. It's very strange that we don't have any news about a new saga or a glimpse like we had in the past with other sagas. The big announcement of this year has been the new movie and probably they will need to make a break and end Super because they need to respect the end of the manga, so more sagas will not be a very likely option.
Of course we don't know anything about a new saga, this current one is months away from ending. We didn't even know about Universe Survival saga until well after the Future Trunks saga had ended and they were in the middle of the filler with Hit coming back.

Them making a movie doesn't really mean anything either, there's plenty of series that have an ongoing show and a movie as well like One Piece, Pokémon and Detective Conan.

The franchise is making a ton of money, it isn't going anywhere.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Been semi-under-the-weather today and I was reading ratings talk in the other thread, but figured this one's more on topic to post this thing I made, so:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's a ratings chart! By percentages!
I originally planned to do a "by placement in the top 10" chart, but my excel skills are basic and that chart ended up looking upside-down (because 8 is a higher number than 5 so that deleted chart thought that means it did better that week even though 8th place out of 10 is lower than 5th place out of 10).

I think my chart shows Super's actually been steady for the most part.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!