Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:31 pm

I think Ale's perception might be skewed due to how MASSIVELY INMENSIVELY popular Dragon Ball is in Latin America and how TEEENY TINY One Piece is in comparison in the same region. You think Dragon Ball is a Success in the US? You havent seen Latin America. You think One Piece is a flop in the US? You havent seen Latin America.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Sodhi wrote:
It is pretty good to know that DB is still strong internationally. Feels good :)
Yep, I found this as well, don't know if it's credible or not.
https://books.google.com/books?id=hEeDF ... rs&f=false
If someone can give some validity to the publisher that would be helpful.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:41 am

People saying Dragon Ball is better than One Piece in Merchandise in Japan, are focusing to much in Bandai report. Note that Merchandise in Japan is not only made by Bandai. Bandai is just one company, a big one, that does merchandise for those series. To a better look at the merchandise sales you look at Toei report that says the licensing sales, meaning the % of money that each licensing company(companies that do merchandise of those series) pays Toei for the rights to use their characters.

Also about the Bandai Report, people are focusing in Dragon Ball and One Piece, but the most important thing in that report is Digimon. It went from doing 0.2 in 2015, to 2.3 in 2016, and already made 1.5 in 2017 first Quarter, and is estimated to reach 7 by the end of the year. That is an amazing increase for the franchise. And it means that Toei animation gonna earn more money :)

Also about international sales. Only last year, when Super Started, was Dragon Ball able to surpass One Piece Internationally and it still lost in Overseas Film. Before that since the report of 2012 One Piece as been on top, this means 4 years.
This year report you have here is still not the end of the year report, so things can still change. With One Piece Film Gold being counted possibly One Piece will get a boost in the numbers, while Dragon Ball had nothing else last year.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:46 am

I'm pretty sure One Piece is bigger than Dragon Ball in japan when it comes to merchandise.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 am

Sodhi wrote:Latest Live Ratings.
Sazae's Broadcast 2400th Anniversary Special: 10.6
Detective Conan: 6.8
one piece:6.6
Dragon ball super(#83): 5.5
Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon: 4.4
My Hero Academia: 3.3
NARUTO Shippuden · Final episode: 3.2
Anime Osuri no George: 3.1
Sean of sheep: 2.9
Yo-kai watch: 2.7
Jesus 2400th anniversary special?!??! What the hell is Sazae?? And wow highest Pokémon has been I think (at least since DBS has aired). Naruto finally makes properly it in the Top 10 thanks to finale hype but I find it hilarious how it just barely beat Curious George :lol:.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:02 am

As expected they didnt care much for Bras birth, and SNk is returning this weekend, OPM Season 2 is already in production.

BNHA can be a threat if they plan to animate up to AlMight vs AFO fight.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 am

I made this thread a couple years ago that might interest people.

viewtopic.php?t=29850

That thread contains a link to Funimation that days Dragon Ball had sold $5 billion in merchandise.

In the US it's sold over 25 million DVD's and Blu Rays whereas One Piece has only sold 220,000 and Fairy Tail 30,000.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:58 am

perucho1990 wrote:As expected they didnt care much for Bras birth, and SNk is returning this weekend, OPM Season 2 is already in production.

BNHA can be a threat if they plan to animate up to AlMight vs AFO fight.
Considering the first season of Hero Academia only covered 21 chapters over 13 episodes, and that the second season would need to adapt roughly 70 chapters to reach that fight, I can't really see that happening. Not sure how many episodes season 2 is supposed to be, but I'd be surprised if it went past the Stain arc. Maybe if they push it they could get up to chapter 69.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 am

Theophrastus wrote: Considering the first season of Hero Academia only covered 21 chapters over 13 episodes, and that the second season would need to adapt roughly 70 chapters to reach that fight, I can't really see that happening. Not sure how many episodes season 2 is supposed to be, but I'd be surprised if it went past the Stain arc. Maybe if they push it they could get up to chapter 69.
They confirmed they will do 2 Cours for Season 2, and it might have tons of filler if they plan to animate up to the Stain Arc, filler is good if its a bunch of character interactions/development, specially on people who has had little amount of screen time.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think Ale's perception might be skewed due to how MASSIVELY INMENSIVELY popular Dragon Ball is in Latin America and how TEEENY TINY One Piece is in comparison in the same region. You think Dragon Ball is a Success in the US? You havent seen Latin America. You think One Piece is a flop in the US? You havent seen Latin America.
No, I said before I was being as objective as possible. Never said DB is more popular than OP because it is not true, but it's true that DB does better than OP in certain parts of the market.
I said all this because it is an exaggeration to say OP dominates Japan.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:01 pm

It does. One Piece does so well in ways you cant even begin to imagine,and I know you tried to be objective and truthful, but its hard to understand the big deal of One Piece in Japan if you live in an area that cant even get a proper dub going.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 pm

It's like the One piece vs naruto back in the day.

One piece was always more popular in Japan but naruto dominated internationally.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:50 am

Totamo wrote:It's like the One piece vs naruto back in the day.

One piece was always more popular in Japan but naruto dominated internationally.
You want to say Overseas. Internationally includes Japan.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:51 am

Alee9977 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think Ale's perception might be skewed due to how MASSIVELY INMENSIVELY popular Dragon Ball is in Latin America and how TEEENY TINY One Piece is in comparison in the same region. You think Dragon Ball is a Success in the US? You havent seen Latin America. You think One Piece is a flop in the US? You havent seen Latin America.
No, I said before I was being as objective as possible. Never said DB is more popular than OP because it is not true, but it's true that DB does better than OP in certain parts of the market.
I said all this because it is an exaggeration to say OP dominates Japan.
But it isn't! You used only one company as a show how Dragon Ball is better in anything than One Piece in Japan.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:28 am

Bigivel wrote:
Totamo wrote:It's like the One piece vs naruto back in the day.

You want to say Overseas. Internationally includes Japan.
Why? You know he meant internationally OUTSIDE of Japan, you have a weird definition of international.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:58 am

Bigivel wrote:
But it isn't! You used only one company as a show how Dragon Ball is better in anything than One Piece in Japan.
No, please read my comments again and tell me where I said DB is better in anything than OP because I don't remember saying that.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Guys, you have all posted enough evidence to prove that what Alee said is not true. Dragon Ball is not more popular than One Piece in Japan, can this please end so we can get back on topic?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:26 pm

The ratings tells me that a lot of watchers dont give 2 fcks about Bra and Vegeta daddy mode. DB's selling point was and will always be about a fighting episode so yeah, who gives a damn about daddy mode development and Bra being born? I surely dont haha.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:36 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:The ratings tells me that a lot of watchers dont give 2 fcks about Bra and Vegeta daddy mode. DB's selling point was and will always be about a fighting episode so yeah, who gives a damn about daddy mode development and Bra being born? I surely dont haha.
It's more about what the episode didn't have than what it had. There wasn't action and there weren't really any funny gags, so from an objective view this was a bit of a transport stage, and that doesn't bring in the views. (I'm trying really hard to ignore the fact that the episode had Bulla, since my opinion is essentially invalid because of her.) The preliminary fights also just ended, and with several episodes waiting for us before the main battle begins, we may be looking at several weeks of relatively low ratings going forward.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Does anyone know what these ratings translate to? Is a 6.6 watched by hundreds of thousands or millions?