Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Guys, it's the placement that matters. It's in its usual 7th place. Everything did better this week.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:10 pm

Its weird how the top 10 ratings have such a dropoff. After Super's 7.1 you go down to Pokemon and Precure with only ratings in the 3.0's.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Is it not better to compare Super with only morning animes??? I feel like if Super would start at 11.00-17.30 the rating would be higher i think

Best example was the movie ROF with a 12.0-15.0 rating

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:20 am

Araki wrote:Tv ratings top 10 - 11/28 ~12/4

Sazae-san 12.5
Chibi Maruko-chan 9.3
Crayon Shin Chan 8.9
One Piece 8.2
Doraemon 7.6
Detective Conan 7.4
Dragon Ball Super 7.1 (episode 69)
Time Bokan 24 4.9
Pokemon Sun & Moon 3.6
Mahol PreCure! 3.4

It's the highest rated episode since 51. Cool that Super became stable enough to hold steady even between arcs.
One Piece also had a great week I see. The same with Pokemon.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:35 am

HeroR wrote:
Araki wrote:Tv ratings top 10 - 11/28 ~12/4

Sazae-san 12.5
Chibi Maruko-chan 9.3
Crayon Shin Chan 8.9
One Piece 8.2
Doraemon 7.6
Detective Conan 7.4
Dragon Ball Super 7.1 (episode 69)
Time Bokan 24 4.9
Pokemon Sun & Moon 3.6
Mahol PreCure! 3.4

It's the highest rated episode since 51. Cool that Super became stable enough to hold steady even between arcs.
One Piece also had a great week I see. The same with Pokemon.
Pokémon's been on the slide ratings wise but has managed to keep it's spot. I reckon after Xmas with all the new game hype I think it'll start it's usual dip in and out the top 10. Hopefully not though.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:50 am

kinisking wrote:Guys, it's the placement that matters. It's in its usual 7th place. Everything did better this week.
I hate that someone says this every week when it's really not completely true.
Ratings are determined based on the number of people who tune in live, to say that the number of people who tune in is irrelevant to the ratings is completely missing the entire point. A show isn't going to be a success if it's number 2 but nobody watches it. If everything does poorly it doesn't matter where things are placed, and on the flip side if everything does well it doesn't matter if a show doesn't chart if tons of people are still watching it.
Placement only gives you an idea of how well it did in comparison to the other shows in the week but is only one part of the equation and the fact that people in a thread about ratings continue to tell people to ignore the ratings is aggravating.
Ad prices are also based on ratings, not on placement because advertisers are paying to put an ad in front of a certain number of people.
7.1 is a great rating, it means more people watched the episode live than many other recent episodes, but the shows above it also did better this week compared to recent weeks and that's good all around.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
kinisking wrote:Guys, it's the placement that matters. It's in its usual 7th place. Everything did better this week.
I hate that someone says this every week when it's really not completely true.
Ratings are determined based on the number of people who tune in live, to say that the number of people who tune in is irrelevant to the ratings is completely missing the entire point. A show isn't going to be a success if it's number 2 but nobody watches it. If everything does poorly it doesn't matter where things are placed, and on the flip side if everything does well it doesn't matter if a show doesn't chart if tons of people are still watching it.
Placement only gives you an idea of how well it did in comparison to the other shows in the week but is only one part of the equation and the fact that people in a thread about ratings continue to tell people to ignore the ratings is aggravating.
Ad prices are also based on ratings, not on placement because advertisers are paying to put an ad in front of a certain number of people.
7.1 is a great rating, it means more people watched the episode live than many other recent episodes, but the shows above it also did better this week compared to recent weeks and that's good all around.
I'm saying this won't promote any more crossovers just because of its higher rating. Everything did better this week, so it's not because of the episode material that the rating is this high.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:12 am

My prediction was right......rating are better even in filler, which proves that this time Sunday morning allows for Gag series to have higher ratings than action series. Let's hope Toei doesn't see it

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:34 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:My prediction was right......rating are better even in filler, which proves that this time Sunday morning allows for Gag series to have higher ratings than action series. Let's hope Toei doesn't see it
As people have said most of the shows improved across the board not to mention this episode got a fair bit of promotion to it then normal SoL episodes do. Ratings fluctuate all the time, besides the highest rated episode is still the Black arc premiere.

ailema88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ailema88 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm pretty sure Japanese audience loved this ep while a lot of occidental "fans" were criticizing the ep saying that it was ridiculous and nonsense and that they will stop watching DBS after ep 69.. I enjoy the episode and I love the comedy moments in super cause Toriyama style is about that too.. Dr. Slump Dragon Ball and also Jacko the patrolman has that sense of humor I don't know why people complain about it..

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Damn good rating. Looks like quite a few fans were eager to see the Dr Slump gang again.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Damn good rating. Looks like quite a few fans were eager to see the Dr Slump gang again.
I'm curious because younger fans wouldn't have a clue about Dr. Slump, generally speaking anyway. Perhaps old fans rejoiced and branded together this last episode.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:20 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Damn good rating. Looks like quite a few fans were eager to see the Dr Slump gang again.
I'm curious because younger fans wouldn't have a clue about Dr. Slump, generally speaking anyway. Perhaps old fans rejoiced and branded together this last episode.
Well, Arale did make a cameo in Super before that crossover episode. Perhaps this lead to a surge of interest of young Dragon Ball fans to find out where's she from.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Well, Arale did make a cameo in Super before that crossover episode. Perhaps this lead to a surge of interest of young Dragon Ball fans to find out where's she from.
That is possible, although the cameo itself was so short. I think this Baseball episode will surpass the Arale one in terms of ratings. It looks too promising. Yamcha being relevant in an episode although it is considered filler is such a foreign feeling because its been so many years since he did something worthwhile.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:54 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
That is possible, although the cameo itself was so short. I think this Baseball episode will surpass the Arale one in terms of ratings. It looks too promising. Yamcha being relevant in an episode although it is considered filler is such a foreign feeling because its been so many years since he did something worthwhile.
Young people in Japan knows about Dr. Slump. It's considered a classic there like Fist of the North Star. Unlike here in the US, Toriyama's other work is acknowledged.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:55 pm

The ratings were obviously inflated for Arale/Dr. Slump. The baseball episode will probably be down to the 6.0's again.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:52 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Until this times there are still Dr. Slump events and they are quite popular! Younger fans, in Japan, know very well who is Arale and Dr. Slump.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:21 pm

Episode 70

sazae san 12.2
Detective Conan special 10.7
Crayon shinchan 9.1
chibi marukochan 8.9
doraemon 8.7
Detective Conan 7.0
One Piece 6.5
Dragon Ball Super 6.2
Pokemon 3.9
Time Bokan 3.7

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:33 pm

irreality wrote:Episode 70

sazae san 12.2
Detective Conan special 10.7
Crayon shinchan 9.1
chibi marukochan 8.9
doraemon 8.7
Detective Conan 7.0
One Piece 6.5
Dragon Ball Super 6.2
Pokemon 3.9
Time Bokan 3.7
Detective Conan beat one piece? Impressive

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:00 pm

It happens sometimes: plus, the hype from the conan special might have helped. I'm happy about how close we were to one piece, though!