Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 am

I think we got our answer of why viewership was low from LuckyCat. As has been said for a gajillion times, content doesn't mean much and outside factors have more impact on the ratings of an episode.

The decline of the current arc compared to previous one is definitely worth a discussion though. This arc's average is the lowest and I can see why fans are a little disappointed with it. I wonder what the reason is. But, I'm not an expert in these matters, so I can't make any assumptions.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:13 am

If Super continuosly dropping means they will try and improve it furthermore, then I'm all for it.

Maybe they could finally start to add some more blood and actual battle damage? Maybe they will finally fix the horrible designs which are leftovers of Plan to Eradicate SS and Battle of Gods? And maybe they could also permanently remove those bad shiny highlights nobody likes.
The line-art thing was a step in the right direction, the filter is great at times but it's too strong in certain places (like in the ToP)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 am

Tanabata was on a Friday and Marine Day was a Monday, would that even effect Super when that's on a Sunday?
Boo Machine wrote:And even if it does drop out of the Top 10, then maybe they'll do something drastic and crazy in an attempt to keep it up, Which I'd totally be up for.
I dunno about that, I'd be worried the possible desperation could hurt the show. They'd probably reintroduce Broly or something.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:53 am

Bullza wrote: I dunno about that, I'd be worried the possible desperation could hurt the show. They'd probably reintroduce Broly or something.
I was thinking something new and crazy but you're right, that is also a very real possibility.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:01 am

Hopefully this means they stop playing it safe and finally skip ahead to EOZ. We really need Uub, Pan and adult Trunks and Goten to finally have an arc together. It's long overdue. Hopefully Gohan remains relevant too.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:33 am

precita wrote:Hopefully this means they stop playing it safe and finally skip ahead to EOZ. We really need Uub, Pan and adult Trunks and Goten to finally have an arc together. It's long overdue. Hopefully Gohan remains relevant too.
The main reason we have to go over EoZ is because we would have no idea of what will happen in the future, so the tension would be much more real.
A similar thing happened in the FT arc where we immediately saw Future Bulma getting killed, so we didn't know if Trunks would have survived through the end.
I believe this sort of tension is what hooks people even more to the show.
Hopefully after this arc they will finally get over this 10 years gap. Goku and Vegeta could still stay relevant.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:09 am

Y'all are freakin out too much, the ratings will rebound, just like they always do. At worst the show will stick in the 5 range for the rest arc and then pick up when it's over if people in Japan just aren't too interested in this arc. The show is still getting higher ratings the the majority of anime and there are long running anime that have far worse ratings than it.
perucho1990 wrote:BNHA is back in the Top 10(because of Shigaraki/Stain meeting and Deku using Full Cowl)

Detective Connan rating is also shockingly low.

If DBS plans to continue for 2018 I think they will be screwed

OPM Season 2
BNHA Season 3
SNK Season 3
JJBA Vento Aureo
NNT Season 2

Tokyo Ghoul, Bleach might return, and OP might animate the Wano Arc by that time too.
You realize a lot of these are never going to be in the top ten, right?

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:32 am

Bullza wrote:Tanabata was on a Friday and Marine Day was a Monday, would that even effect Super when that's on a Sunday?
Yes, because Marine Day is when summer break begins for Japanese kids so that was a huge travel weekend. It also explains low ratings across the board. I'll bet a million zeni the ratings will be normal in two weeks.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:09 am

I swear this thread just feels like a parody everyweek it's the same thing always.

MHA barely makes the top ten and only does when regular top 10 shows don't air. Is that a flop? Should Bones be worried? Should they completely re-vamp MHA? No come on now.

I thought Super had dropped out the top 10 reading these responses....

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:10 am

Some people are just shocked Super has had weeks in the 4.0's. It usually had in the 6.0's, and then the 5.0's was a slide, let alone the 4.0's.

But as others said, it doesn't matter at all.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:41 am

It seems nobody was interested to see the great Krillin.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:57 am

Shinda Forever wrote:It seems nobody was interested to see the great Krillin.
"nobody"
5th highest rated anime episode of the week and was a holiday.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:55 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:It seems nobody was interested to see the great Krillin.
"nobody"
5th highest rated anime episode of the week and was a holiday.
There is always an excuse to a bad result. The fact that it was an holiday is another reason to have better ratings.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 am

Shinda Forever wrote: There is always an excuse to a bad result. The fact that it was an holiday is another reason to have better ratings.
Or you could read just a few posts above you.
LuckyCat wrote:
Bullza wrote:Tanabata was on a Friday and Marine Day was a Monday, would that even effect Super when that's on a Sunday?
Yes, because Marine Day is when summer break begins for Japanese kids so that was a huge travel weekend. It also explains low ratings across the board. I'll bet a million zeni the ratings will be normal in two weeks.
Holidays often cause lower ratings.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 am

Hmm. That is quite a low rating, but given a holiday happened, it was to expected. Super will bounce back next week like the it always does. There's nothing to worry about. Super is still in the top ten most viewed TV programs in Japan, and that's the most important thing.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Hmm. That is quite a low rating, but given a holiday happened, it was to expected. Super will bounce back next week like the it always does. There's nothing to worry about. Super is still in the top ten most viewed TV programs in Japan, and that's the most important thing.
You said the same thing in the previous week. :shock:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 am

Shinda Forever wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Hmm. That is quite a low rating, but given a holiday happened, it was to expected. Super will bounce back next week like the it always does. There's nothing to worry about. Super is still in the top ten most viewed TV programs in Japan, and that's the most important thing.
You said the same thing in the previous week. :shock:
There was national holiday last week and the week before that a national Japanese festival.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:38 am

A fun exercise for stat nuts is to go to page 68 of this thread to see how Super did this week last year and all the Doomsday predictions. Not much has changed. :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:46 am

I say comparing the last two weeks to the ratings for the episodes that aired last year at this time is a good indicator.

98 and 99 aired July 9th and 16th, 2017.
51 and 52 aired July 10th and 17th, 2016.
Episode 51 - TV 7.3% (6th)
Episode 52 - TV 5.0% (7th)
Episode 98 - TV 4.8% (7th)
Episode 99 - TV 4.3% (5th)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:57 am

Yeah DB will be cancelled tomorrow.