Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:56 am

precita wrote:Dragonball Super dipping to the 4.0's already. I know everything is low, but the show is clearly not pulling in kids as much as it used to. No wonder why they're planning to rebrand the series at episode 133 with a new series. Hopefully an EOZ series with the next generation cast. That will provide a ratings boost.

It's time to retire Goku and Vegeta to the bahamas and replace them with Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub!
Don't forget canonizing multiverse bulla, make her the main character for maximum effect!
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:56 am

I don't know if anybody has noticed but the episode with Uni 6 characters doing something are the highest rated in tournament so far.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am

It was also Kale's not!Brolli vs Gokû episode.

If it gets us that Planet Salad arc I've been waiting for, so be it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 pm

precita wrote:Dragonball Super dipping to the 4.0's already. I know everything is low, but the show is clearly not pulling in kids as much as it used to. No wonder why they're planning to rebrand the series at episode 133 with a new series. Hopefully an EOZ series with the next generation cast. That will provide a ratings boost.

It's time to retire Goku and Vegeta to the bahamas and replace them with Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub!
You really are crazy, if they do that, the show will have zero ratings and by the way that terrible cast won't happen ever.
This week ratings only show that no one is interested to watch Roshi using the same old techniques again, he doesn't add nothing to the series, absolutely nothing. They need to continue to develop Hitto into a major character to keep the ratings high. Eventually Jiren can help as well, but, we will see how Tenshinhan's new technique will help to boost the ratings or not this week.

Sodhi wrote:I don't know if anybody has noticed but the episode with Uni 6 characters doing something are the highest rated in tournament so far.
Of course, i noticed and the best episode of the tournament was the one that Hitto fought against Dyspo and Kunshi.
By the way, One Piece returned to the high ratings.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:You really are crazy, if they do that, the show will have zero ratings and by the way that terrible cast won't happen ever.
EoZ would seem to indicate the opposite.

DragonBall will always have ratings, though.
Sodhi wrote:I don't know if anybody has noticed but the episode with Uni 6 characters doing something are the highest rated in tournament so far.
It was the 100th episode. That's probably the majority of what it was.

If the ratings were substanially higher, I might be inclined to agree. But they were only marginally better. I don't think it can be attributed to the U6 characters.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:You really are crazy, if they do that, the show will have zero ratings and by the way that terrible cast won't happen ever.
EoZ would seem to indicate the opposite.

DragonBall will always have ratings, though.
It was the 100th episode. That's probably the majority of what it was.

If the ratings were substanially higher, I might be inclined to agree. But they were only marginally better. I don't think it can be attributed to the U6 characters.
EOZ was the opposite where? That cast would be like repeating DBGT crap again, it won't happen ever. After this tournament they still will have 4 universes to battle. Trunks and Goten are lazy bums, they won't make it to the cast ever again and Pan is atrocious and now they have Caulifla and Kale to represent women in the show. The only one with a chance is Uub since he was mentioned as a genius in db super.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Pan was horrible in GT but in Z which was Toriyama's vision she was a neat character and Super Pan as a baby is better than anything we got from Pan in GT. If you think Pan won't be in Super as a teenager at some point you are fooling yourself. And I can't wait for a SSJ or SSB Pan that is Toriyama's vision and not some whiny little bitch :/

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:25 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:EOZ was the opposite where? That cast would be like repeating DBGT crap again, it won't happen ever. After this tournament they still will have 4 universes to battle. Trunks and Goten are lazy bums, they won't make it to the cast ever again and Pan is atrocious and now they have Caulifla and Kale to represent women in the show. The only one with a chance is Uub since he was mentioned as a genius in db super.
Goku tells Goten and Trunks before he leaves that they are responsible for the safety of Earth and to keep up their training. They aren't doing anything of consequence now, and for me that is rather disheartening, but to say that they will "never make it back" into the main cast is, I think, extreme. Toei is clearly still interested in the characters to some degree, or they wouldn't have given us the (admittedly subpar) Copy-Vegeta arc, as well as whatever they intend to do with fending off the poachers.

Clearly there is a place for them. They aren't going to be just dumped completely. If EoZ is going to be maintained, then of course the two characters will be utilized in some sort of functional way.

Why would it automatically be like GT, anyway? All GT did was give us an overdose of Goku and Pan. Barely anyone else was used in any significant way; if anything, that is the mistake that won't be repeated. There's lots of room to do new things with established characters, especially since so many of the old guard somewhat retire by the time of EoZ anyway.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:43 pm

In the manga he didn't say so much as a word to them before leaving.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Interesting. o_o

Thank you for the added perspective!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:
You really are crazy, if they do that, the show will have zero ratings and by the way that terrible cast won't happen ever.
This week ratings only show that no one is interested to watch Roshi using the same old techniques again, he doesn't add nothing to the series, absolutely nothing. They need to continue to develop Hitto into a major character to keep the ratings high. Eventually Jiren can help as well, but, we will see how Tenshinhan's new technique will help to boost the ratings or not this week.

Of course, i noticed and the best episode of the tournament was the one that Hitto fought against Dyspo and Kunshi.
Its funny that the Roshi episode did a better rating than Krillin/18, Piccolo/Gohan, Android 17 centered episodes. The ratings have been going downhill since 17 got focus and then Gohan being dragged down by Piccolo.

We could agree that the japanese fandom like Universe 6 overall? Specially Hit, and the saiyan girls.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:25 pm

That has to be the lowest I have ever seen one piece.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:32 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:

Its funny that the Roshi episode did a better rating than Krillin/18, Piccolo/Gohan, Android 17 centered episodes. The ratings have been going downhill since 17 got focus and then Gohan being dragged down by Piccolo.

We could agree that the japanese fandom like Universe 6 overall? Specially Hit, and the saiyan girls.
Yeah, i definitely agree that the Japanese fandom likes Universe 6 overall, specially Hitto and the saiyan girls, therefore, it is important that a character like Hitto continues to get more screentime if the show wants to reach higher ratings.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:50 pm

https://www.videor.co.jp/tvrating/2017/09/3892.html

1. Sazae-san - 11.7%
2. Doraemon Egypt special - 8.4%
3. Chibi Maruko-chan - 7.5%
4. One Piece - 6.7%
5. Detective Conan - 6.3%
6. Dragon Ball Super - 5.0%
7. Pokemon Sun & Moon - 3.7%
8. Shaun the Sheep - 3.3%
8. Kira Kira PreCure A la Mode - 3.3%
10. My Hero Academia - 3.2%

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 pm

6th place is good. Also summer vacation's over, so more people at home on the weekends.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:28 pm

More like One Piece has stopped shitting the bed quality wise. The episode that aired last week was good.

EDIT:I say this because One Piece does affect DBS a lot. Or so I think. I'm probably wrong anyway. LOL
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:38 pm

Ratings look normal this week. 5.0%, not bad.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:37 am

My Hero Academia is doing really well. For those keeping track, do we ever see another anime that isn't one of these long-running shows make into the top 10?

Also, this list is for animated shows only right? No dramas and such?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:52 am

Well regardless of other factors, the tournament of power is the lowest rated arc of Super thus far. The next arc will probably get similar ratings though (no matter what it is or what it's about), so I guess it doesn't matter.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:56 am

precita wrote:Well regardless of other factors, the tournament of power is the lowest rated arc of Super thus far. The next arc will probably get similar ratings though (no matter what it is or what it's about), so I guess it doesn't matter.
Did the Zamasu arc have lower ratings than the U6 vs U7 tournament arc? Just wandering if it's a general trend.