Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pacz360
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by pacz360 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:03 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Do something new with them. Let the next generation rise up. It csn't always just be Goku Vegeta Goku Vegeta Goku Vegeta forever.
Name one next generation shonen, that did not revolve around it, that was actually good.

Those 2 just happen to be the most popular characters in the show and not many people that I know of actually like the new gen.Its for the exact same reason people dislike the U6 saiyans, they get things too easily. Its what Boruto is doing, the latest next gen
The U6 Saiyans, sans maybe Cabba, are largely pretty popular if marketing is any indication.

But Dragon Ball, unlike Boruto, would probably die immediately if Goku/Vegeta were replaced.
he still popular from u6 sure caulifla and kale are bigger but he still popular right along with hit

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:11 pm

Draconic wrote:I'm surprised people didn't already know about this. Yeah, the ratings posted are only for the Kanto region, but at the same time, those are considered the most representative of what the whole of Japan is watching. And this isn't just some internet thing created by anime fans, but actual national companies and such are usually focused on those as well.

The ratings we get are the most important ratings, even if they don't include 100% of the population.
Adding to this, some perspective on relative regional population sizes:
http://www.newgeography.com/content/002 ... ving-tokyo
Population of Kanto: 42.6 million
Population of Hokkaido: 5.5 million

Hokkaido and other regions aren't completely insignificant, but a 7.6% rating in Hokkaido doesn't carry the same weight that that percentage would have in Kanto, either, because it translates to a much smaller sum of people.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:16 pm

It's kind of the same thing as the U.S. California has 39 million people living there and New York has 8.5 million people living there according to google. Most other states don't even have half as much.

So logically the most populated area in Japan would be the most accounted for.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 pm

emperior wrote:So all this time we've been discussing the ratings for a single region of Japan? I thought those were national rankings. What's the point in discussing Kanto only ratings? It makes no sense. And considering they cancelled Kai even though it was getting good ratings, I would say they don't care about them and only see how the merchandising and the franchise in general is doing.
Considering the amount of attention Super, and in particular this special, is getting worldwide, Super is going absolutely nowhere. Even when Toriyama will be finished with it they will just create a new show. Toei knows better than us just how big Dragon Ball is worldwide, and the creation of the DB Room and the introduction of a female Broly (Kale) shows that they care about the international audience too. They must also 100% know that 4 sites crashed for Super's special, and they regularly take down YouTube Super videos viewed by milions of people.

I suggest to rename this "Kanto TV Ratings" and/or to edit the first post to clarify we're talking about the ratings of a single Japan region.
Do you know anything about statistics? If you knew you wouldn't be talking like this.
And do you know anything about Toei Animation series profitability? If you knew you would also not be talking like this.

Statistics is basically cuisine tasting/sample(in fact cuisine tasting is really a rudimentary use of the theory of statistic sampling!!!). You don't need to taste an entire dish, to know it has too much salt, is good, it has poison or something like that. In statistic like in tasting, what is important isn't the size of what you taste, nor the parts you cover, but choosing the correct sampling to what you're looking/studying.
Kanto is enough to take some good conclusions, and that is why the company that tracks the data only shows Kanto for free, the rest of the regions of the country, and also a ton of more detailed data(like the top 50+, the age of people watching and gender), you have to pay to see it.
Also Normally the data is pretty similar, in the past, until 2012 there was leaks of Hokkaido and the top 50 of both Hokkaido and Kanto. And it was pratically equal with some little differences.
Do you want the detailed information, please pay for it and then leak to us. We will appreciate.

The only interest that Toei would get by Dragon Ball Super popularity worldwide in places where it can't monetize, is the potential of investing in that section and making it profitable. Other than that, it really indifferent for Toei if Dragon Ball Super is mega popular in views in the Youtube, MyAnimelist or a illegal streaming site.
Who said that Broly wasn't popular in Japan. For a reason it appeared in multiple movies made for Japan audiences.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 pm

precita wrote:It's kind of the same thing as the U.S. California has 39 million people living there and New York has 8.5 million people living there according to google. Most other states don't even have half as much.

So logically the most populated area in Japan would be the most accounted for.
In fact it isn't! Is not about the size. In fact the reason given by the company to only show Kanto free is because Kanto is the region with the biggest coverage of TV channels and number of "Television". Not because it had most of the people.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:13 am

precita wrote:Is that bait? Gohan was pretty much treated as the second main character in DBZ after Goku. Just because he didn't get the final win over Buu didn't make him not important.
Second main character isn't the same as main character, just asked Vegeta. And Gohan dropped from the story the moment Buu ate him, so it wasn't just him not getting the win.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

kusanagi177

Post by kusanagi177 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Ratings for 111.

DVR Ratings for special.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:55 pm

OP rating seems back to normal, DBS still affected by Sentai and Kamen Rider..

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 pm

precita wrote:The only way to save Super now is to move ahead to EOZ and focus on the younger generation like Trunks, Goten, Uub and Pan, etc.

Goku can still be around as a mentor, but it's time for the "next generation" to step up to the plate. Hopefully Gohan sticks around too.
Super doesn't need to be saved, but if that was the case do you actually think relegating Goku to a sideline role would somehow bring more interest to the series? It would have the complete opposite effect.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Asura wrote:
precita wrote:The only way to save Super now is to move ahead to EOZ and focus on the younger generation like Trunks, Goten, Uub and Pan, etc.

Goku can still be around as a mentor, but it's time for the "next generation" to step up to the plate. Hopefully Gohan sticks around too.
Super doesn't need to be saved, but if that was the case do you actually think relegating Goku to a sideline role would somehow bring more interest to the series? It would have the complete opposite effect.
But Hit vs Jiren drew better than Goku vs Jiren.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:12 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Asura wrote:

But Hit vs Jiren drew better than Goku vs Jiren.
We're 159 pages in and people still think that people watch/don't watch the episode because of the characters in it? C'mon, just think about it, who the hell would do that? Either you watch the show or you don't, no one decides "oh my favorite character isn't in this episode NEP guess I'll skip it".

Oh, and how many streaming websites did Hit vs Jiren crash? I count none. Goku vs Jiren though? I was refreshing both Crunchyroll and Funimation pages for a solid 30 minutes before I was able to watch.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Asura wrote:
We're 159 pages in and people still think that people watch/don't watch the episode because of the characters in it? C'mon, just think about it, who the hell would do that? Either you watch the show or you don't, no one decides "oh my favorite character isn't in this episode NEP guess I'll skip it".

Oh, and how many streaming websites did Hit vs Jiren crash? I count none. Goku vs Jiren though? I was refreshing both Crunchyroll and Funimation pages for a solid 30 minutes before I was able to watch.
Not skip it but watch it on youtube(probably).

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:23 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Asura wrote:

Not skip it but watch it on youtube(probably).
Why would someone choose to watch the episode on Youtube rather than just watching the episode live or on a streaming site just because their favorite character isn't in it?

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:27 pm

But Ratings dont take into account streaming sites, right?

At least lets be glad ratings did above 4s.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:09 am

Woah. Time Bokan 24 S2 is doing really well.

oozaru goku

Post by oozaru goku » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:51 am

Last week doraemon and shin-chan wasn't in the chart, maybe they're not aired for that week, which means if they're aired like always, dbs would be into number 9 and almost leave the 10best anime rating chart lmao

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:09 am

A few weeks back One Piece got a 6.0 rating and Dragon Ball Supers rating was 5.3. Now One Piece has the exact same 6.0 rating but Dragon Ball Super only has a 4.2 so it's much worse in relation to One Piece.

It's also the second worst rating the show has had after last episode.
oozaru goku wrote:Last week doraemon and shin-chan wasn't in the chart, maybe they're not aired for that week, which means if they're aired like always, dbs would be into number 9 and almost leave the 10best anime rating chart lmao
What's funny about that?

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:10 am

At this rate I wouldnt really be surprised if a day comes that Super wont even be on the top 10, just a matter of time now.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 am

It seems like Sentai and Kamen Rider are siphoning Dragon Ball Super's audience.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:44 am

Asura wrote:We're 159 pages in and people still think that people watch/don't watch the episode because of the characters in it? C'mon, just think about it, who the hell would do that? Either you watch the show or you don't, no one decides "oh my favorite character isn't in this episode NEP guess I'll skip it".
It's the same crap every week on this thread, "DBS needs saving", "x character is boring and uninteresting because they have lower ratings". Pokémon should have been cancelled a long ass time given some logic in this thread but nope it is about to hit episode 1000 soon! The fear mongering and doom and gloom in this thread is borderline pathetic at times.