Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm surprised because Naruto had a crap ton of filler but still covered the entire manga and still went on longer than it had to...and now has a spinoff. And this is a show that does terribly in ratings and never makes the top 10.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Bleach actually was cancelled. I recall seeing the TV ratings posted somewhere and they fell sharply following Aizen's defeat so obviously they finished up the saga they were adapting and called it quits.

It makes sense because the Bleach manga sales also dropped considerably after Aizen.

A lot of people thought that was where the series should have ended and so when it didn't they jumped ship. It definitely should have ended there because the Blood War saga was absolutely dreadful.

Rurouni Kenshin was another that got cancelled because of low ratings.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:07 pm

precita wrote:I'm surprised because Naruto had a crap ton of filler but still covered the entire manga and still went on longer than it had to...and now has a spinoff. And this is a show that does terribly in ratings and never makes the top 10.
Its ratings weren't terrible. It just never made the top ten after a point. It was still popular and selling a lot of merchandise.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am

Does Naruto appear in Boruto in mentor role or something or not at all? Just wondering 'cause I know Boruto's a succesful sequel/spin-off so that's very likely a potential proof of concept for Shueisha where to take Dragon Ball after Super

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:54 am

Basaku wrote:Does Naruto appear in Boruto in mentor role or something or not at all? Just wondering 'cause I know Boruto's a succesful sequel/spin-off so that's very likely a potential proof of concept for Shueisha where to take Dragon Ball after Super
I've not seen the show myself but Naruto is in it yes.

I'm not sure if the new series is supposed to be taking place before the Boruto movie and like the manga also they'll do an anime retelling of that movie like they did with Super and Battle of Gods/Resurrection F in which case Naruto is also in that too.

There was also a Naruto Gaiden volume that took place shortly before that movie and again Naruto was in it. Whether they'll adapt that or not I dunno.

So he's probably got a good role to come in it.

ChocoBar9

Post by ChocoBar9 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:53 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:Dragon Ball Super - TV Ratings for episode 93
1. Sazae - 11.3%
2. Crayon Shin-chan - 8.7%
3. Doraemon - 7.3%
4. Chibi Maruko-chan - 7.1%
5. One Piece - 6.2%
6. Dragon Ball Super - 5.6%
7. Detective Conan - 5.2%
8. Go! Go! Chuggington - 3.3%
9. Shaun the sheep - 3.0%
10. My Hero Academia - 3.0%
How? BNHA featured probably the best fight of Anime 2017, it was one of the best animated fights in the industry since Gintoki/Takasuki, Saitama vs Boros and Meruem vs Netero.

That improvement in the DBS ratings should prove that fans were interested in Kale unlocking SSJ and Goku/Frieza conversation, those were the hooks for the episode.
If Pokémon aired MHA wouldn't have even made the Top 10.
You do realise that these ratings aren't indicative of the actual content not many people knew it was gonna be the "best fight of 2017" beforehand, even so there isn't enough interest in MHA for it too shoot up based on the fact it had an apparently great animated fight.
You do realize that three weeks ago there was a three way tie for 10th place in the ratings when Pokemon, Shaun the Sheep and MHA all had a 3.0 percentile share right? It would have still cracked the top 10 if Pokemon was there and tied with Shaun the Sheep.

ChocoBar9

Post by ChocoBar9 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Bigivel wrote: Only surprising if you don't take into account the timeslot and block in which BNHA airs.

I don't know where you seen the data for Naruto Shippuden ratings, maybe some rare week where it appeared at the top 1. But I don't believe BNHA ever surpassed that. BNHA in fact had rather low ratings for the timeslot and block it was before.
Bigivel wrote: I meant that the 1st season did horrible for the Block and timeslot rankings overall!

Also the 2nd season of MHA has lower ratings than the previous series in that block -> Time Bokan 24
The obligatory Bigivel says something wrong and everyone believes him post.
Why are you still spouting garbage? With the exception Magic Kaito and Kindaichi Shōnen no Jikenbo R no other anime has received above a 4% average in the ratings on that timeslot within the past 5 years. It was also the highest rated show that aired on Nichigo's final year. I mean you seem very adamant to point out MHA not pulling the same numbers as the show before it but seem quiet to point out Super is doing much worse than Kai and even Toriko in the ratings on the exact same slot.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:26 pm

ChocoBar9 wrote:
Bigivel wrote: Only surprising if you don't take into account the timeslot and block in which BNHA airs.

I don't know where you seen the data for Naruto Shippuden ratings, maybe some rare week where it appeared at the top 1. But I don't believe BNHA ever surpassed that. BNHA in fact had rather low ratings for the timeslot and block it was before.
Bigivel wrote: I meant that the 1st season did horrible for the Block and timeslot rankings overall!

Also the 2nd season of MHA has lower ratings than the previous series in that block -> Time Bokan 24
Why are you still spouting garbage? With the exception Magic Kaito and Kindaichi Shōnen no Jikenbo R no other anime has received above a 4% average in the ratings on that timeslot within the past 5 years. It was also the highest rated show that aired on Nichigo's final year. I mean you seem very adamant to point out MHA not pulling the same numbers as the show before it but seem quiet to point out Super is doing much worse than Kai and even Toriko in the ratings on the exact same slot.
Where did the random 4% appeared from? What your point?

Is My Hero Academia doing better or worse than Time Bokan 24? Worse? Than I'm correct, end of argument! Do you want Time Bokan 24 vs My Hero Academia ratings? Here they are:

Time Bokan(episodes)

1- 5.4 (Look the "no series above 4% other than Kaito and Kindaichi ..." just went to the water!
:O, here the ranking link ->(http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -2/.107357)

2- 4.5
3- 4.6
4- 4.2
5- 5.0
6- 3.7
7- 2.9
8- 4.9
9- < 3.4 (out of the top 10)
10- 4.9
11- 3.7
12- 4.6
13- 4.4
14- 3.9
15- 4.9
16- 4.0
17- 4.8
18- 4.5
19- 4.3
20- 4.5
21- 3.8
22- 3.9
23- 3.7
24- 3.8

Average - 4.26

Oh, but the only series in that block that had ratings above 4% was obviously only Magic Kaito and Kindaichi. :facepalm

My Hero Academia(episodes)

0- 3.3
1- 3.4
2- 3.5
3- 3.9
4- <3.3 (out of top 10)
5- <3.1 (out of top 10)
6- 3.5
7- 3.4
8- 3.0
9- <3.6 (out of top 10)
10- 3.0

Average - 3.7

Yep, but obviously I'm spouting Garbage! :facepalm:

About being the best show in Nichigo last year. My Hero Academia didn't aired in Nichigo last year. That is really being selective. Pick when the block went to shit(hint: it started with My Hero Academia) and just talk about that, it was the best of the decline era of the block. WOW! The block in that year was doing so well that it was cancelled!

Also what were the anime that aired after My Hero Academia in Nichigo?

- 8 episodes of Legend of Arslan 2nd season
- 4 episodes of Nanatsu no Taizai(I'm almost certain that had better ratings than My Hero Academia, but I can't find them)
- 2nd Season of Gundam Iron Blood Orphan

So basically the only worth comparison is 2nd Season of Gundam Iron Blood Orphan. Yep, that is totally what I should think of that block that was active for so many years. Because is not like there wasn't a lot of other series in that slot.

From Where did Dragon Ball Super got into this conversation? You love to bring random stuff to the conversation. Is that just a way to try to be right about something?
The conversation started with a person talking about My Hero Academia(he also referred Boruto), and for some reason I had to also talk of Dragon Ball Super? For what reason? To not talk "badly" of only My Hero Academia?

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:18 pm

BNHA ratings aren't great for its current timeslot. That's a fact, when compared to shows that just aired a couple months ago.
ChocoBar9 wrote:I mean you seem very adamant to point out MHA not pulling the same numbers as the show before it but seem quiet to point out Super is doing much worse than Kai and even Toriko in the ratings on the exact same slot.
Super has a better average than Kai 2.0. But anyway ,the comparison to Kai 1.0 or even Toriko isn't adequate, as they aired years ago, in a different time for tv, when One Piece and every other top 10 show had higher ratings. Just 7 years ago, 1 year before Toriko, shows like Sazae, OP, Pokemon and Precure had numbers that are more than twice their current average, lol.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -march-1-7

So you're accusing Bigivel of something you're actually doing, but worse, as you're comparing completely different situations.

ChocoBar9

Post by ChocoBar9 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Bigivel wrote:
ChocoBar9 wrote:

Is My Hero Academia doing better or worse than Time Bokan 24? Worse? Than I'm correct, end of argument!
Yeah you're correct in comparing a show that hasn't even finished yet is doing worse than a show that's done. Kinda jumping the shark a bit aren't ya?
Time Bokan(episodes)

Average - 4.26
That's a 4% sweetie. Thanks for proving my point.

Oh, but the only series in that block that had ratings above 4% was obviously only Magic Kaito and Kindaichi. :facepalm
Yes both of them averaged above 4%, Phoenix Wright and Time Bokan didn't average above 4% so they're failures by your stupid logic.

About being the best show in Nichigo last year. My Hero Academia didn't aired in Nichigo last year.
Except it did.
That is really being selective. Pick when the block went to shit(hint: it started with My Hero Academia) and just talk about that, it was the best of the decline era of the block. WOW! The block in that year was doing so well that it was cancelled!
Except MHA got higher ratings than Iron Blooded Orphans S1 which aired before it in and two other shows years prior. You just love being wrong all the time do you? FWI the highest rated show on the block was Gundam 00 S2 with a 4.2% and the lowest was Star Driver with a 1.9%, you're putting Nichigo to higher standard then it deserves it was a late afternoon Sunday timeslot that was an offshot to a much more popular and better recieved Saturday evening slot not primetime and every show did considerably worse than it so obviously their standards weren't high to begin with if their highest show could only get a 4% average.
A sequel to a show that average a 3% in its first season a year prior
- 4 episodes of Nanatsu no Taizai
A sequel to a show that average a 3.7% the second highest rated show on the block
(I'm almost certain that had better ratings than My Hero Academia, but I can't find them)
You would be wrong. The special had an average of 2.0% while HeroAca had 2.45%
A Gundam show that had a lower ratings average than Gundam AGE.
From Where did Dragon Ball Super got into this conversation? You love to bring random stuff to the conversation. Is that just a way to try to be right about something?
The conversation started with a person talking about My Hero Academia(he also referred Boruto), and for some reason I had to also talk of Dragon Ball Super? For what reason? To not talk "badly" of only My Hero Academia?
Says the guy who's always bringing up MHA for no apparent reason and last time I checked this is a DBS ratings thread.
Last edited by ChocoBar9 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ChocoBar9

Post by ChocoBar9 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Araki wrote:BNHA ratings aren't great for its current timeslot. That's a fact, when compared to shows that just aired a couple months ago.
By what account? Do you and Bigivel just love spouting nonsense with no evidence to back it up? Its literally on the same pace as Phoenix Wright and Time Bokan with only difference not even being a full point below the latter so are you know going to backpedal and say Phoenix Wright and Time Bokan 24 also didn't do well along with Space Bros (and good luck making up an excuse for that because Time Bokan 24 was deemed an unexpected hit ) about the only show that aired on the slot and did badly was Otaku Teacher which even brought Conan's ratings down.
Super has a better average than Kai 2.0. But anyway ,the comparison to Kai 1.0 or even Toriko isn't adequate, as they aired years ago, in a different time for tv, when One Piece and every other top 10 show had higher ratings. Just 7 years ago, 1 year before Toriko, shows like Sazae, OP, Pokemon and Precure had numbers that are more than twice their current average, lol.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -march-1-7
Why? Because it destroys your stance? Also the only difference between the timeslot from then and now is the rebranding from Dream 9, its the same primetime slot, Super doing better than a show that was literally just a fill in slot to make up for Toriko getting canned is nothing to brag about especially since its doing worse than everything previously on that slot regardless. And in case you haven't notice Conan used to get higher ratings too so what exactly gives Super the exception outside just pure bias or do you have insider knowledge to the standards NTV has over Fuji TV?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:47 pm

[spoiler]
ChocoBar9 wrote:
Bigivel wrote:

Is My Hero Academia doing better or worse than Time Bokan 24? Worse? Than I'm correct, end of argument!
Yeah you're correct in comparing a show that hasn't even finished yet is doing worse than a show that's done. Kinda jumping the shark a bit aren't ya?
Time Bokan(episodes)

Average - 4.26
That's a 4% sweetie. Thanks for proving my point.

Yes both of them averaged above 4%, Phoenix Wright and Time Bokan didn't average above 4% so they're failures by your stupid logic.

About being the best show in Nichigo last year. My Hero Academia didn't aired in Nichigo last year.
Except it did.
That is really being selective. Pick when the block went to shit(hint: it started with My Hero Academia) and just talk about that, it was the best of the decline era of the block. WOW! The block in that year was doing so well that it was cancelled!
Except MHA got higher ratings than Iron Blooded Orphans S1 which aired before it in and two other shows years prior. You just love being wrong all the time do you? FWI the highest rated show on the block was Gundam 00 S2 with a 4.2% and the lowest was Star Driver with a 1.9%, you're putting Nichigo to higher standard then it deserves it was a late afternoon Sunday timeslot that was an offshot to a much more popular and better recieved Saturday evening slot not primetime and every show did considerably worse than it so obviously their standards weren't high to begin with if their highest show could only get a 4% average.
A sequel to a show that average a 3% in its first season a year prior
- 4 episodes of Nanatsu no Taizai
A sequel to a show that average a 3.7% the second highest rated show on the block
(I'm almost certain that had better ratings than My Hero Academia, but I can't find them)
You would be wrong. The special had an average of 2.0% while HeroAca had 2.45%
A Gundam show that had a lower ratings average than Gundam AGE.
Says the guy who's always bringing up MHA for no apparent reason and last time I checked this is a DBS ratings thread.
[/spoiler]
ChocoBar9, you aren't off to a good start on the forum. All four of your posts are unnecessarily, and unacceptably rude; with this arguably being the worst of the bunch.

This will be your only free warning. Continuing this behavior will result in Account Strikes being administered, which will add up to bans from the entirety of the website. I suggest re-reading the Forum Rules, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registering here, if you desire to remain a part of this community.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Top 10 anime tv ratings - June 5 ~June 11

http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm

Sazae 11.1
Chibi Maruko-chan 7.6
Doraemon 7.3
Crayon Shin-chan 7.3
Detective Conan 6.9
Dragon Ball Super (episode 94) 6.3
One Piece 5.8
Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon 3.7
Pretty Cure Ara Mode 3.6
Curious George 3.4

Yes..it happened, no doubt this time.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 pm

What the heck!?

It HAPPENED!WOW! I cant believe it, I mean I DO! Woo Hoo!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Always knew that it would happen. Unless Super had few episodes, It was just a matter of time.
I'm just surprised we didn't it during the insane hype that was the FT Trunks arc. The gap is bigger than I was expecting though.

Congratulations Dragon Ball Super!
Send the news. Justice has been made! :clap:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Honestly kinda surprised, wasn't sure Super would ever beat OP.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:25 pm

I guess all the kids in Japan were anticipating Karasawa glorious return! :lol:

Razyos

Post by Razyos » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:26 pm

I feel so proud of Super. This is great news :)
Spread positive vibes~ ^.^

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 pm

I wouldn't expect this to happen again this week though because [spoiler]Sanji is fighting his father this week[/spoiler]
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:48 pm

I hated that manga chapter and I LOVE One Piece.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: