Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:54 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Asura wrote:We're 159 pages in and people still think that people watch/don't watch the episode because of the characters in it? C'mon, just think about it, who the hell would do that? Either you watch the show or you don't, no one decides "oh my favorite character isn't in this episode NEP guess I'll skip it".
It's the same crap every week on this thread, "DBS needs saving", "x character is boring and uninteresting because they have lower ratings". Pokémon should have been cancelled a long ass time given some logic in this thread but nope it is about to hit episode 1000 soon! The fear mongering and doom and gloom in this thread is borderline pathetic at times.
If Ash loses the league again and isn't retired to the Bahamas so a new generation can take over, it will literally be the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of viewers! :P

Do we have the ratings for SS/Kamen Rider this week? I'm sure the suits at the networks will realize soon enough that they're hurting each other and one needs to move ASAP.

Edit: Here are the DVR ratings for the special: https://twitter.com/aers00/status/920456719230050306 Super is the 7th one but I have no idea how to read the rest of it.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:43 pm

On Brazil, DBS started airing dubbed in August, 2017, and since then, from monday to friday, we've had episodes, and now we are in the Trunks/Zamasu/Black arc.

Dragon Ball Super made Cartoon Network become the TOP channel in paid-TV Ratings. It doubled CN ratings, It is said that DBS itself has 97% more audience than any other show in the channel.

Also, yesterday on the episode where Goku fought Zamasu for the first time, the show had a problem, and after the commercials, it started aired from the beginning, and then ended, and because of this, on Saturday they will do a "marathong" of all of this week's episodes.

DBS may be doing bad in Japan, but it is doing pretty good here on Brazil, and also, on the streaming services.

source: https://criticalhits.com.br/gracas-drag ... a-tv-paga/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Japan makes the show though, they're not going to keep it going for foreign markets.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:56 pm

precita wrote:Japan makes the show though, they're not going to keep it going for foreign markets.
but they're making revenues of foreign markets, and also, there are games that are really popular on Japan, and related merchandising too. I doubt they will cancel the series anytime soon.

We can only hope that anything bad will happen about the fate of DBS.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:44 pm

What the hell is happening with Time Bokan?! 5.0 is really good for that timeslot. BNHA never got a number like that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:48 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:What the hell is happening with Time Bokan?! 5.0 is really good for that timeslot. BNHA never got a number like that.
BNHA is more popular oversees than it is in Japan.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It seems like Sentai and Kamen Rider are siphoning Dragon Ball Super's audience.
It appears Dragon Ball Super is nowhere near One Piece popularity in Japan. One Piece is still heads and shoulders above every single manga based anime.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:It seems like Sentai and Kamen Rider are siphoning Dragon Ball Super's audience.
It appears Dragon Ball Super is nowhere near One Piece popularity in Japan. One Piece is still heads and shoulders above every single manga based anime.
Detective Conan anime begs to differ

And while the One Piece manga is definitely the most popular. It looks like Super and One Piece anime are still relatively close even if One Piece does better in ratings overall. Super is also doing well internationally and in merchandise sales.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:24 pm

HeroR wrote:BNHA is more popular oversees than it is in Japan.
You got any evidence? Just curious.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 am

Dragon Ball overall is a thing of a past in Japan now, they hardly care for it.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:18 am

Ripper 30 wrote:Dragon Ball overall is a thing of a past in Japan now, they hardly care for it.
That sounds like bullshit.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 am

Asura wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:Dragon Ball overall is a thing of a past in Japan now, they hardly care for it.
It's true, the Manga may be big there but most of current anime fans don't care about Dragon Ball and find it too old show to watch but older fans do atleast care for anime. The only people who watch Super are either Older fans or Mostly kids that's it. It's popularity is way more outside Japan than in Japan and with Kamen Rider and Super Sentai back the ratings of Super will suffer even more.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:11 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Asura wrote:
It's true, the Manga may be big there but most of current anime fans don't care about Dragon Ball and find it too old show to watch.
Do you actually have a source for this?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:25 am

If that was the case it wouldn't be making more money each year than the previous one.

In terms of the ratings, they mean nothing for a merchandise show like DB. Also keep in mind that with over 100 episodes, any show no matter how popular will have episodes that don't do great in the ratings.

IF the ratings continue to drop or remain as they are then all it means is that there's a number of people who are simply tired of it (very understandable) and most likely moved on to something else. Alsp, as far as I know this isn't the first time this happened before things went back to normal so it'll most likely happen again.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:11 am

Asura wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Asura wrote: That sounds like bullshit.
It's true, the Manga may be big there but most of current anime fans don't care about Dragon Ball and find it too old show to watch.
Both One Piece and Dragon Ball Super have been selling well still One Piece was mentioned in Top 100 anime list but Dragon Ball Super hasn't even mentioned in it and neither of Dragon Ball Series made it in top 100 this shows that they have moved on to Better things and it's mostly the kids who are watching Super not really the Anime fans.
sintzu wrote:
If that was the case it wouldn't be making more money each year than the previous one.

In terms of the ratings, they mean nothing for a merchandise show like DB. Also keep in mind that with over 100 episodes, any show no matter how popular will have episodes that don't do great in the ratings.

IF the ratings continue to drop or remain as they are then all it means is that there's a number of people who are simply tired of it (very understandable) and most likely moved on to something else. also, as far as I know this isn't the first time this happened before things went back to normal so it'll most likely happen again.
I mean as a Toy Selling franchise for kids it's doing good but from a serious point of view not many anime fans are interested in Super as they are in One Piece, Gintama or any other shows. Ask any Japanese fan about anime and I highly doubt they will mention Dragon Ball specially this generation.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:24 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Asura wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: It's true, the Manga may be big there but most of current anime fans don't care about Dragon Ball and find it too old show to watch.
Both One Piece and Dragon Ball Super have been selling well still One Piece was mentioned in Top 100 anime list but Dragon Ball Super hasn't even mentioned in it and neither of Dragon Ball Series made it in top 100 this shows that they have moved on to Better things and it's mostly the kids who are watching Super not really the Anime fans.
sintzu wrote:

IF the ratings continue to drop or remain as they are then all it means is that there's a number of people who are simply tired of it (very understandable) and most likely moved on to something else. also, as far as I know this isn't the first time this happened before things went back to normal so it'll most likely happen again.
I mean as a Toy Selling franchise for kids it's doing good but from a serious point of view not many anime fans are interested in Super as they are in One Piece, Gintama or any other shows. Ask any Japanese fan about anime and I highly doubt they will mention Dragon Ball specially this generation.
What is this "Serious Point of view" and why should Toei care about it? If these people dont give money to Toei,whyToei should care about them?. Kids are all Toei needs to thrive and the merch is selling like crazy.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:27 am

I love this thread. Each week the same posts and I bet I will read them next year as well

And after Super story ends people claim how they were right and it is “cancelled”

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:55 am

Super is probably planned to have a 5 year run. It's hard to believe but we're only 2 1/2 years in.

After 5 years I think the show might probably end unless it gets really popular for some reason.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:35 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Asura wrote:
sintzu wrote:

What is this "Serious Point of view" and why should Toei care about it? If these people dont give money to Toei,whyToei should care about them?. Kids are all Toei needs to thrive and the merch is selling like crazy.
I mean that Dragon Ball Franchise now is all about selling Merchandise than story telling like it was in older days.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 am

precita wrote:Super is probably planned to have a 5 year run. It's hard to believe but we're only 2 1/2 years in.

After 5 years I think the show might probably end unless it gets really popular for some reason.
So why are you talking about it being canceled each and every week