Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Son Vegito » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Michsi wrote:Pure filler arc can be fantastic if they put in enough effort. One of the best examples for this IMO is Bleach with it's Zanpaktou Rebellion arc. The pacing in the manga had gotten so bad that they couldn't even wait for a "break" in the canon plotline to squeeze in filler, and instead dropped an entire unrelated arc smack dag in the middle of the Hueco Mundo arc. But it worked!!! Because the arc itself was good. In fact, a lot of people argued it was better than the canon plotline and actually bemoaned going back to the Aizen fight once it was over.

So yes to filler in favor of painfully stretched out main plotline.

If there is one thing DBS does better than DBZ is pacing.
I think the zanpakto filler arc was okay. Don't think it was better than canon, but many of us had lost interest in the main plot because of the slow pacing in the anime+ 3 interruptions by long pure filler arcs. The concept itself of the filler arc was very smart and was bound to be succesful. It was indeed one of the better filler arcs for sure. Same goes for the fake clone captains arc later.

DBS doesn't really have to worry about fillers. But I think Toei is very good at pure filler arcs too. All DBZ and OP movies were pretty good. The Garlic Jr. and Other world tournament saga were pretty great too. The latter might be my favorite filler arc of all time.
sintzu wrote:I thought Super's issues were due to the lack of pre-production time but One Piece has been airing since 1999. If anything it should've gotten a lot better as time went on.
They are very close to the manga and the series will at least go on for another 10 years. I can kinda understand but I really hope they will re animate the post time skip stuff in an OVA or something in the future. Especially starting from the Dressrosa arc.

HeroR wrote:Calling One Piece animation 'early Super' shows that you don't remember what early Super looks like. People who follow the production of Super would killed to have the production value One Piece enjoys.

Also, pure filler nearly killed Naruto, so I hope not.
The big fight we had all be waiting for such a long time:
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PckHCr85k-E[/spoiler]
Just look at the first 3 minutes. Aside of the Gear 4 scenes everything was shit. Is that how you treat the finale of a big arc? Normally it's even worse than that.

The current arc looks a lot better but you can expect a massive quality dip later on.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Son Vegito wrote: The big fight we had all be waiting for such a long time:
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PckHCr85k-E[/spoiler]
Just look at the first 3 minutes. Aside of the Gear 4 scenes everything was shit. Is that how you treat the finale of a big arc? Normally it's even worse than that.

The current arc looks a lot better but you can expect a massive quality dip later on.
Look at Super's Resurrection 'F' Saga or even the fixed version of Episode 5. You don't remember what Super looked like in its first six months if you think this clip of One Piece looks as bad as early Super.

And this isn't the finale since Luffy loses Gear 4 and had to wait to recharged, which took two episodes.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 pm

http://www.videor.co.jp/tvrating/

Still above the 5.0 mark.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:42 am

I guess Dragonball Super is saved from the verge of being canceled as long as it stays 5.0 or higher. I wonder if it's also Caulifa/Kale eps hyping them up because the two Saiyan females are the most popular characters in the series now.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:37 am

precita wrote:I guess Dragonball Super is saved from the verge of being canceled as long as it stays 5.0 or higher. I wonder if it's also Caulifa/Kale eps hyping them up because the two Saiyan females are the most popular characters in the series now.
Do you live in some delusional world or something as the rating is not the only thing that determines if a show stays or not and your comment about the Kale and Caulifla being the 2 most popular characters in the series right now is almost certaintly wrong.

BlacXero

Post by BlacXero » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:08 am

I'm pretty sure DB is way more poplar than Detective Conan, but DC runs at 18pm Saturday, while DBS runs on Sunday at 9am!! i'd not wake up myself to watch the episode at 9 am, I'm pretty sure if DBS was running late it would do easily +7 rating

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:55 am

The Detective Conan anime has been pulling relatively higher ratings than what I've become accustomed to seeing from it lately. I'm used to it kind of trading blows with One Piece (sometimes DC higher, sometimes OP higher). For the past month it's been consistently beating One Piece, and this week it even beat freaking Doraemon somehow.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 am

Theophrastus wrote:The Detective Conan anime has been pulling relatively higher ratings than what I've become accustomed to seeing from it lately. I'm used to it kind of trading blows with One Piece (sometimes DC higher, sometimes OP higher). For the past month it's been consistently beating One Piece, and this week it even beat freaking Doraemon somehow.
Look at what is the anime that is running before it, and how it is doing in ratings, and look what was the previous anime in that place. You will get your answer!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:21 am

precita wrote:I guess Dragonball Super is saved from the verge of being canceled as long as it stays 5.0 or higher. I wonder if it's also Caulifa/Kale eps hyping them up because the two Saiyan females are the most popular characters in the series now.
The 5.3 from episode 112 was probably due to Freeza-Sama, iirc Gohan vs Freeza also did 5.3%, imo that should proof that the Emperor of Evil is a draw.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:27 pm

Because Boruto, Pokémon, Precure, etc were all cancelled, amirite?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Araki wrote: Because Boruto, Pokémon, Precure, etc were all cancelled, amirite?
It's bait, at this point. Don't bite it. Unless you want it, of course. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:29 am

If you see someone talking about Super getting cancelled or "this character raised/ruined the ratings," then they're most likely joking around. Hell, even I poked fun at the absurd things people said back in the day about the ratings and how "bad" they were. Super's ratings will never be "bad." It always ranks in the top 10 and should it somehow fall out, it still won't matter. Dragon Ball's resurgence has been an overwhelming success to the point where it surpassed One Piece.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Are you trolling or ignorant? Dragon Ball is the biggest money maker for Bandai Namco, Super isn't ending unless Japan gets nuked or hit by earthquake/tsunami
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 am

Super's producer confirmed no anime would get cancelled if the merchandise sells, even if the ratings were shit.
Considering Super is expected to surpass even Gundam with its sales, there's no reason to think it will ever get cancelled. Super will end when Toriyama will be done with it, and after it there will most likely be a new Dragon Ball show.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:54 am

emperior wrote:Super's producer confirmed no anime would get cancelled if the merchandise sells, even if the ratings were shit.
Considering Super is expected to surpass even Gundam with its sales, there's no reason to think it will ever get cancelled. Super will end when Toriyama will be done with it, and after it there will most likely be a new Dragon Ball show.
I will be surprised if Super doesn't cross 300 episodes easily, it's making nearly 2x the money of One Piece at the moment and One Piece is 800 episodes long. Ratings are practically irrelevant at this point
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:22 pm

emperior wrote:Super's producer confirmed no anime would get cancelled if the merchandise sells, even if the ratings were shit.
Correction, it already made more money than Gundam in the first quarter of this fiscal year (April-June).
Faisal Shourov wrote: I will be surprised if Super doesn't cross 300 episodes easily, it's making nearly 2x the money of One Piece at the moment and One Piece is 800 episodes long. Ratings are practically irrelevant at this point
I've been saying it for awhile, the only way Super ends any time soon is if they are just replacing it with a sequel series.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:30 pm

I think they really need to move to EOZ territory if they plan on continuing the series. No way can they stay in the current time.

Trunks and Goten as adults and focusing on Uub and Pan is what the future holds.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:38 pm

precita wrote:I think they really need to move to EOZ territory if they plan on continuing the series. No way can they stay in the current time.

Trunks and Goten as adults and focusing on Uub and Pan is what the future holds.
Is this a routine of yours or something? you keep saying this over and over its starting to break the camels back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm

It's just inevitable at this point. They've squeezed the 10 years as thin as they can go.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:41 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
precita wrote:I think they really need to move to EOZ territory if they plan on continuing the series. No way can they stay in the current time.

Is this a routine of yours or something? you keep saying this over and over its starting to break the camels back.
I know right. Nobody really cares about Uub, and Pan focus won't sell the series. Many people would leave without seeing Goku and Vegeta and their power ups.