Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 am

ArchedThunder wrote:And Super's ratings are pretty much back to normal, people went nuts for no reason.
News at 11.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Ratings will always fluctuate. Most people don't wake up Sunday mornings to watch a children's cartoon.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:

Japanese anime fans do not like Naruto more than Dragon Ball. You keep saying this but Naruto has never been more popular than Dragon Ball in Japan

Yes nothing tops the One Piece manga (which was influenced by Dragon Ball of course) but while Naruto is popular it’s not One Piece or Dragon Ball or Pokémon for that matter.

And if you are talking about fans looking for more “mature themes” then they would be looking in late night anime not children's shows
Maybe that's what it looks like to me because from the few Japanese Anime fans I interacted with, most prefer Naruto and One Piece over Dragon Ball. Maybe because it only something which has got to do with newer Generation only. But while I was watching Animeman's video on a poll he created on top 100 Famous anime he told that Non Japanese Fans rated Dragon Ball way higher than Japanese one did and as he resides in Japan and interacts a lot with Japanese Otakus or YouTubers he told that they have moved on to better things than Dragon Ball and animes like One Piece, Sword Art online, Bleach, Tokyo Ghoul, Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, Puella Magi Madoka Magic, Tiger and Bunny and Love Live have became New Favourites. Pocket Monster and Dragon Ball will still continue to do well in selling Merchandises.
I think you base your evidence on heresay. What you hear someone say or a poll here and there means nothing. I mean one Japanese youtubber is your evidence?

You keep saying they will keep selling merchandise. People don’t buy merchandise of things they don’t enjoy. Who would say DB Is such old news but let me keep spending my money on it?

Naruto was never as popular as Dragon Ball or One Piece in Japan. Surely fans will move onto new series and shows that doesn’t mean they stop loving the old. And quite frankly Naruto is a pretty old franchise too at this point. So no one has moved onto Naruto.

Plus 1/2 the series you name are late night anime and are not even really new hot thing in Japan (if you consider what new really is) They are old too at this point. Do you realize how many new anime series come out in Japan a year. There are tons of big series that sell really well and get a lot of merchandise and are very popular. That doesn’t mean Japan has moved on from Dragon Ball. It will always be a beloved franchise over there. Having new beloved franchises do not take away from the old ones.
Maybe I was basing my conclusion off a very small sample but I am not denying it's popularity you are right Dragon Ball will be popular Till the very end.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Bullza wrote:Strange how this week Super increased but then One Piece decreased, it's right on its tail this week.
Probably just statistical noise. ...Though the fact that this week's One Piece episode covered a whopping 6 pages of manga content probably didn't help any.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
Bullza wrote:Strange how this week Super increased but then One Piece decreased, it's right on its tail this week.
Probably just statistical noise. ...Though the fact that this week's One Piece episode covered a whopping 6 pages of manga content probably didn't help any.
It isn’t like viewers knew that before watching.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Not the exact amount of pages, maybe, but it's feasible that people could have figured out that it wouldn't actually cover very much material based on the episode titles/summary blurbs from Newtype magazine.

Really though I'm leaning more toward Super getting a genuine boost compared to last week (at Kamen Rider's expense), and One Piece just having normal week-to-week fluctuations due to various real-world factors.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Yes Naruto sales are way less than Dragon Ball but I was talking about how the Japanese Anime fans think about the Quality of the Shows and maybe due to slightly more Mature or Relatable themes and overall quality they would prefer Naruto or even One Piece over Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball and Pokemón have been selling well without a doubt but people may prefer One Piece and Naruto due to quality.
No data supports that people prefer Naruto over Dragon Ball for quality, in or outside Japan. Your first comment was Dragon Ball was a thing of past in Japan, which is not only false but also complete nonsense. Naruto has NEVER, EVER been even close to Dragon Ball in popularity, anywhere in the world. In every single department imaginable- TV ratings, movie gross, manga sales, merchandise sales. You're a huge Naruto fanboy I get it but don't post fake and nonsense posts as facts.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Yes Naruto sales are way less than Dragon Ball but I was talking about how the Japanese Anime fans think about the Quality of the Shows and maybe due to slightly more Mature or Relatable themes and overall quality they would prefer Naruto or even One Piece over Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball and Pokemón have been selling well without a doubt but people may prefer One Piece and Naruto due to quality.
No data supports that people prefer Naruto over Dragon Ball for quality, in or outside Japan. Your first comment was Dragon Ball was a thing of past in Japan, which is not only false but also complete nonsense. Naruto has NEVER, EVER been even close to Dragon Ball in popularity, anywhere in the world. In every single department imaginable- TV ratings, movie gross, manga sales, merchandise sales. You're a huge Naruto fanboy I get it but don't post fake and nonsense posts as facts.
Eh...Wasn't Naruto REALLY massive back around 2005-2006?
Feels over Reals.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Maybe in the US but I don’t remember it ever being No 1 in Japan.

That’s not to say it wasn’t popular just not on the level that One Piece and Dragon Ball was at its prime.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 pm

RedHeat wrote:Eh...Wasn't Naruto REALLY massive back around 2005-2006?
It was pretty popular, not even close to Dragon Ball though. Like not even comparable. Dragon Ball's successor was One Piece, Naruto was just another massively popular manga (like we have Attack on Titan atm). Dragon Ball and One Piece are the titans in Japan. Outside Japan its Dragon Ball and Pokemon. Naruto was never on the same league, in any parameter

Dragon Ball (along with Fist of North Star and Jojo) basically revived the manga industry in the 80s, which was the golden decade for manga in Japan.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Nah Naruto was massive and definitely comparable to Dragon Ball Z at one point, not in Japan but Worldwide and for a time from around....2005 to 2010.

It was the biggest selling manga in the United States, it might actually still be. It was getting really good ratings on TV. They brought a couple of the movies out in US theatres. The Ultimate Ninja Storm games were far outselling the Dragon Ball games at the time.

Of course it's not that way anymore nor will it ever be again but I remember seeing how Naruto stomped Dragon Ball on the Google trends. It wasn't even close.

Edit: it actually still gets more traffic now.

https://trends.google.co.uk/trends/expl ... all,Naruto

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Bullza wrote:Nah Naruto was massive and definitely comparable to Dragon Ball Z at one point, not in Japan but Worldwide and for a time from around....2005 to 2010.

It was the biggest selling manga in the United States, it might actually still be. It was getting really good ratings on TV. They brought a couple of the movies out in US theatres. The Ultimate Ninja Storm games were far outselling the Dragon Ball games at the time.

Of course it's not that way anymore nor will it ever be again but I remember seeing how Naruto stomped Dragon Ball on the Google trends. It wasn't even close.

Yes but we are talking about Japan ;)

And even counting worldwide sales Naruto never outperformed One Piece or Dragon Ball

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Bullza wrote:Nah Naruto was massive and definitely comparable to Dragon Ball Z at one point, not in Japan but Worldwide and for a time from around....2005 to 2010.

Dragon Ball manga ended way back in mid 90s though. I am sure they didn't keep track of US manga sales back then. Also anime only got popular in US thanks to Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon dub, by that time the Dragon Ball manga was almost over.

I wouldn't take google trend for popularity measure honestly. Look at actual quantifiable numbers, like the TV ratings for Naruto and Dragon Ball Z/S on Toonami or the net gross for Battle of Gods/RoF vs Naruto the Last/Boruto (both in and outside Japan). Far more people watch/follow and pay for Dragon Ball, both in and outside Japan. The difference in actual numbers is huge.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... lz2014.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... naruto.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... ionoff.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... emovie.htm

Of course there's the fact that Dragon Ball is almost 35 years old and still crushing most competitions like insect, while Naruto is barely 20 years old yet it's almost vanished from mainstream.
Last edited by Faisal Shourov on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Dragon Ball Z was also kind of over when Naruto started. Naruto was definitely more popular than One Piece in the US. But I don’t think Naruto was as popular as DBZ, Sailor Moon, & Pokémon were in the 90’s early 2000’s.

Although I am not trying to discount Naruto’s success. It was definitely a big hit both in the US and also in Japan. It was probably second to One Piece in Japan when it was running. Which is still pretty big considering just how big One Piece was (well is)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:57 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:Dragon Ball manga ended way back in mid 90s though. I am sure they didn't keep track of US manga sales back then.
Well there wouldn't have been any US manga sales then. The manga didn't start getting released in US until 2003. Naruto volumes had sold about 5 million copies in the US by Volume 46 as well going by what is said on the back of the covers.
I wouldn't take google trend for popularity measure honestly.
What's wrong with Google trends? It shows the volume of searchs and it was so high because it was so popular. The same thing can be used to tell that Dragon Ball gets a ton more activity than pretty much every other anime series because of its popularity.
Look at actual quantifiable numbers, like the TV ratings for Naruto and Dragon Ball Z/S on Toonami or the net gross for Battle of Gods/RoF vs Naruto the Last/Boruto (both in and outside Japan). Far more people watch/follow and pay for Dragon Ball, both in and outside Japan. The difference in actual numbers is huge.
Well that would be a Naruto that's passed its peak. Remember Naruto did air on a main timeslot on Cartoon Network just like Dragon Ball Z did once. It then moved over to Disney XD for a while.

If you wanted to use actual numbers then there is Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games selling over 2 million copies worldwide at a time when Dragon Ball games weren't selling half or a third of thag amount.

Like Dragon Ball and unlike by other anime, they were churning those Naruto games out back then, both on home and portable consoles.

The DBZ movies did do a lot better but they did have a larger theatre count as well though you could probably say it was because it warranted it.
Of course there's the fact that Dragon Ball is almost 35 years old and still crushing most competitions like insect, while Naruto is barely 20 years old yet it's almost vanished from mainstream.
That's the main thing really. Dragon Ball has maintained its popularity for very well and still remained very popular in the many years after the series ended. Thats not something that other series can really do, they often lose popularity before even ending.

So of course in the long run Dragon Ball will win out over any fad series like Attack on Titan, One Punch Man or My Hero Academia.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Kinokima wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Maybe in the US but I don’t remember it ever being No 1 in Japan.

That’s not to say it wasn’t popular just not on the level that One Piece and Dragon Ball was at its prime.
Yes, Dragon Ball ended in Japan a few years prior to Naruto beginning I believe. Anyways, the anime hit huge in the USA as I believe funimation started dubbing it around the end of the Z Dub. It was the successor and replacement to DBZ in the USA and was massively popular until its decline in early 2012. In my hometown, where it was talked about, no one ever mentions it now. I don’t know what happened to Attack on Titan, it was there and gone.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:36 pm

Bullza wrote:What's wrong with Google trends? It shows the volume of searchs and it was so high because it was so popular. The same thing can be used to tell that Dragon Ball gets a ton more activity than pretty much every other anime series because of its popularity.
If I understand Google Trends right, it's not showing the volume, it's charting the historical trend. It shows that DB's popularity wasn't as high as it had ever been in that range, but that doesn't mean its historically reduced popularity brought it below Naruto in terms of sheer numbers.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Xeztin wrote:Anyways, the anime hit huge in the USA as I believe funimation started dubbing it around the end of the Z Dub. It was the successor and replacement to DBZ in the USA and was massively popular until its decline in early 2012. In my hometown, where it was talked about, no one ever mentions it now. I don’t know what happened to Attack on Titan, it was there and gone.
Funimation actually has nothing to do with Naruto in any capacity. Viz Media holds the license for that (and they contract the actual English dubbing work to Studiopolis in California).

As for Attack on Titan, the four year gap between season one and season two killed a lot of casual interest in the series in the US, I think.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
I have watched more Dragon Ball than I ever did Naruto and hardly played any games of it but for some reason I am a fanboy for just telling that Dragon Ball is not as big in Japan as It looks to us.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

GhoulEto

Post by GhoulEto » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:55 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
I have watched more Dragon Ball than I ever did Naruto and hardly played any games of it but for some reason I am a fanboy for just telling that Dragon Ball is not as big in Japan as It looks to us.
What?, of the "famous" animes is behind only One Piece in rating, has never left the top in its more than 110 chapters, without counting what their movies generate