Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Wed May 10, 2017 3:40 am

AloversGaming wrote: I got to somewhere around One Piece episode #111 or something before dropping. After interrupting Luffy vs. that lightning God dude's fight by putting a big gold ball on Luffy's hand, they then started showing some horrible flashback episode about some random dude. I was done. Never went back.
Too bad, you missed some the best story arcs and Skypei is usually considered one of the worst arcs in One Piece.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed May 10, 2017 3:48 am

The third highest rated episode in super was a filler episode, I don't think the content has much to do with it.

It could simply be a bad week or people are tired of the recruitment episodes which have going on since March.

Wait, it's 88? The Gohan-piccolo comeback?! That's surprising

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 10, 2017 3:56 am

Totamo wrote:The third highest rated episode in super was a filler episode, I don't think the content has much to do with it.

It could simply be a bad week or people are tired of the recruitment episodes which have going on since March.

Wait, it's 88? The Gohan-piccolo comeback?! That's surprising
No one likes Gohan :P
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed May 10, 2017 4:35 am

perucho1990 wrote:Either the japanese fans are already starting to get tired of the recruitment episodes or they didnt like that Piccolo got that strong after being showcased as a joke before episode 88?, I dont think it was because of the lack of Goku

This rating is what Episode 89 deserves it, not episode 88.

And another week without BNHA in the top 10..
No one knew how strong Piccolo was so that can't be a reason.

The crap episode before 88 with 17 probably caused a problem. Also the Gohan effect.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed May 10, 2017 4:47 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Either the japanese fans are already starting to get tired of the recruitment episodes or they didnt like that Piccolo got that strong after being showcased as a joke before episode 88?, I dont think it was because of the lack of Goku

The crap episode before 88 with 17 probably caused a problem. Also the Gohan effect.
Or no one gives a crap about Piccolo and Gohan.

ShinTenshin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinTenshin » Wed May 10, 2017 4:52 am

The filler with Trunks and Gohan was pretty bad with only 5.0 !
5.0 is the worst rating for Goku Black arc so.... And Great Sayaman's mini arc was only 5,8 when the following episode with Krilin was 7,6... Yeah, Gohan seems boring for the DBSUPER's fans.

Overall the average score of Universe Tournament is the worst, another reason of why Goku and Vegeta need to be the Heroes for TOEI...
After the arc i'm pretty sure we'll return to a story with just Goku X Vegeta.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 10, 2017 5:02 am

Guys how many times these episodes ratings have zero correlation with the charachters, Gohan episodes did better post Trunks arc than Goku vs Hit I believe. I used to joke about it but it seems people here genuinely believe there is.

Super measuring stick isn't ratings these are just fun things to follow each week.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 10, 2017 5:13 am

ShinTenshin wrote:The filler with Trunks and Gohan was pretty bad with only 5.0 !
5.0 is the worst rating for Goku Black arc so.... And Great Sayaman's mini arc was only 5,8 when the following episode with Krilin was 7,6... Yeah, Gohan seems boring for the DBSUPER's fans.

Overall the average score of Universe Tournament is the worst, another reason of why Goku and Vegeta need to be the Heroes for TOEI...
After the arc i'm pretty sure we'll return to a story with just Goku X Vegeta.
Sadly, I can't tell if this is satire.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Guys how many times these episodes ratings have zero correlation with the charachters, Gohan episodes did better post Trunks arc than Goku vs Hit I believe. I used to joke about it but it seems people here genuinely believe there is.

Super measuring stick isn't ratings these are just fun things to follow each week.
It didn't. The first Hit episode did - TV 6.7% (7th). The second that aired on Christmas in Japan did TV 5.6% (5th). The Saiyaman stuff, Episode 73 - TV 5.9% (5th) and Episode 74 - TV 5.8% (7th). So the Hit episode have the highest average with a 6.15 to 5.85.
Kanassa wrote:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed May 10, 2017 6:43 am

Khin wrote:Ratings for April 24 - April 30 (episode #88 of Super):
  1. Sazae-san (10.0%)
  2. Crayon Shin-chan (7.8%)
  3. Doraemon (7.7%)
  4. Chibi Maruko-chan (6.7%)
  5. One Piece (6.6%)
  6. Detective Conan (6.1%)
  7. Dragon Ball Super (4.4%)
  8. Pokémon - Sun and Moon (3.8%)
  9. Curious George (3.5%)
  10. Shaun the Sheep (3.1%)
It seems like half of the shows suffered a decrease. Super, in particular got its lowest rating so far, beating the previous 4.7% from episode #12 and #23. This is also the first time Super is in the 4% barrier since episode #26.
It's really important to take what place Super is in when the ratings fluctuate like this. As you can see, while it is all the way down at 4.4 %, it's still in seventh place where (I believe) it's always been. We should take that into consideration before jumping to blaming characters and the like.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

incarnati0n
Beyond Newbie

Post by incarnati0n » Wed May 10, 2017 6:56 am

When will people learn that the content of the episode itself has little to do with the rating it gets.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:47 am

HeroR wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: I'm talking about the bad writing the show has in-general.
So they waited almost 90 episodes and five story arcs to drop it, make perfect sense.
It does, the only reason people are watching the show in the first place is because it's Dragon Ball. It already has an established cult fanbase, right now, the show seems to riding on nostalgia and brand-power more than anything else.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed May 10, 2017 7:54 am

So it's still 7th ? Then they'res nothing to worry about. You guys will never learn apparently.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed May 10, 2017 8:02 am

kinisking wrote:So it's still 7th ? Then they'res nothing to worry about. You guys will never learn apparently.
Yeah, I'm just joking.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed May 10, 2017 8:07 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:

It's because Piccolo isn't popular in Japan ! FACTS ! lol

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed May 10, 2017 8:08 am

kinisking wrote:So it's still 7th ? Then they'res nothing to worry about. You guys will never learn apparently.
You're one of the smartest people in this site lol but you have left a comment like "Piccolo is not that popular in Japan" lol just to piss off some people xD

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed May 10, 2017 8:19 am

Pretty much, the ratings will fluctuate across the board contingent on whatever is going on over there in Japan. As such it should only be compared relative to its peers to which it consistently performs at number 6/7. This indicates that Super has an incredible stable fan base, but it also means the same eyes are likely tuning in week after week. Which as an advertiser is not the ideal situation as you would want a constant stream of new eyes on your adverts as well.

That being said the ONLY metric at this point that should be realistically concerning is the ranking and if we see shows leap frogging Super in rankings.
I will also say its a little low for Goku day timeframe, but I also assume most of the people who even know about Goku day probably watch the show? But even then I can't imagine why the actual numeric rating would drop to its lowest ever around Goku day, I would think that special event would have mitigated the ratings even if slightly.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:48 am

What I see is that episode previews are a key for the ratings.

Take episode 85 which is one of highest rated episodes in this arc and probably the highest among the recruitment episodes.

What did they advertise for that episode? Pride Troopers, Kaioshins meeting, Hakaishins meeting, Fit Boo.

If they show interesting stuff in the previews, fans will come.

They shouldve advertised Cabba recruiting Caulifla, fans are actually more interested in the non U7 stuff.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed May 10, 2017 9:12 am

SansrivaaL wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Or no one gives a crap about Piccolo and Gohan.
Namakian saiyan has an interesting logic when the ratings of an episode are low he blames the characters involved in it but when the episode revolves around Piccolo he blames the previous episode lol i really hope he's a troll because i doubt a person with common sense can write things like that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 10, 2017 9:56 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote: It does, the only reason people are watching the show in the first place is because it's Dragon Ball. It already has an established cult fanbase, right now, the show seems to riding on nostalgia and brand-power more than anything else.
There are a lot of Japanese shows that rides off of nostalgia and brand-power that isn't anywhere near as popular as Dragon Ball like Digimon. Plus, nostalgia and brand-power doesn't hold an audience for over two years.
Kanassa wrote:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed May 10, 2017 10:40 am

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:I really don't know, every week it's the exact same conversation over and over again.
Exactly, you'd think people would understand it by now but it's still always the same.

Next week it could get a 6.0% and then everyone will start saying "Oh it's because Gohan is in it he must be popular now".

Then in the Frieza episode it'll dip to 5.2% and we'll get "Oh I guess people aren't happy with Frieza being in it, nobody likes Frieza anymore".

All the while it'll still be ranked 7th the whole time and the other shows will rise and fall alongside it.