Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed May 10, 2017 10:43 am

Bullza wrote:
SSJ YUSUKE wrote:I really don't know, every week it's the exact same conversation over and over again.
Exactly, you'd think people would understand it by now but it's still always the same.

Next week it could get a 6.0% and then everyone will start saying "Oh it's because Gohan is in it he must be popular now".

Then in the Frieza episode it'll dip to 5.2% and we'll get "Oh I guess people aren't happy with Frieza being in it, nobody likes Frieza anymore".

All the while it'll still be ranked 7th the whole time and the other shows will rise and fall alongside it.
It's been happening for over two years now, and it's like damn how long are people gonna do this?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:50 am

HeroR wrote:
There are a lot of Japanese shows that rides off of nostalgia and brand-power that isn't anywhere near as popular as Dragon Ball like Digimon.
Ok, what does that have to do with anything? If anything it helps proves my point, if much less popular series like Digimon can ride off brand power and nostalgia. Then it should be easy for a worldwide phenomenon like Dragon Ball to do so moreso.
Plus, nostalgia and brand-power doesn't hold an audience for over two years.
False; Tons of franchises have done it.
Video game franchises
Assassins Creed
Call of Duty
Halo
Movie Franchises
Beauty and the Beast
Transformers
Some Disney Movies
TV Series
Dragon Ball Super
Scooby Doo
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 10, 2017 11:10 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
There are a lot of Japanese shows that rides off of nostalgia and brand-power that isn't anywhere near as popular as Dragon Ball like Digimon.
Ok, what does that have to do with anything? If anything it helps proves my point, if much less popular series like Digimon can ride off brand power and nostalgia. Then it should be easy for a worldwide phenomenon like Dragon Ball to do so moreso.
Plus, nostalgia and brand-power doesn't hold an audience for over two years.
False; Tons of franchises have done it.
Video game franchises
Assassins Creed
Call of Duty
Halo
Movie Franchises
Beauty and the Beast
Transformers
Some Disney Movies
TV Series
Dragon Ball Super
Scooby Doo
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
I said that shows cannot live off of brand power and nostalgia alone. After awhile it has to exists as its own thing.

These examples are flawed. For one, video games have mechanic that people play for. It isn't the same as sitting you butt behind a tv and watching. That is about as flawed as people who keep claiming people only play Zelda for brand power and nostalgia instead of because, they're really good games.

Movies are one time things, not ongoing. If you were talking about a Beauty and the Beast tv series, you may have a point. Transformers, most of the fans of the movies are not the same fans of the 80 cartoons. The fans of the 80 cartoon despises the live-action transformer movies. And the movies themselves have almost no relations with the tv series outside of the names of the bots. The story is new and the entire human cast is OC. Also, how many reboots that depends on brand power and nostalgia failed like Robocop, Conan the Barbarian, The Amazing Spider-Man, Ghostbusters (2016), I can go on.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Scooby Doo have different incarnations. In fact, the new one rarely used nostalgia since it brings thing over from all the TMNT stuff.

So no, for Super brand power and nostalgia got people through the door. It is it's own merits that keep people watching. If it was all "brand power and nostalgia" why didn't Kai do better since that literally all that was, while Heroes throughs crazy crap everywhere without a care and is hugely popular in Japan. The Japanese fandom also didn't take to the new Dr. Slump that aired after GT and that was brand power and nostalgia too.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 10, 2017 12:08 pm

we should get 89's rating today too, right?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:26 pm

HeroR wrote: I said that shows cannot live off of brand power and nostalgia alone. After awhile it has to exists as its own thing.

These examples are flawed. For one, video games have mechanic that people play for. It isn't the same as sitting you butt behind a tv and watching. That is about as flawed as people who keep claiming people only play Zelda for brand power and nostalgia instead of because, they're really good games.
Videos games, movies, and TV shows are very similar in forms of entertainment, I have no idea what your talking about this mechanic people play video games for (video games have mechanics in them, but people don't buy them just for that) primarily people play video games for entertainment purposes. You say video games aren't the same as sitting behind and TV and watching, but its essentially just that. Instead of sitting your butt down and watching something; you're sitting your butt down and playing something. I will reiterate multiple video game franchises I've listed are riding off nostalgia and brand-power- Assassins Creed-same story, same motives, same gameplay, same quest, new gimmicks, same bugs, and different setting. Call of Duty- same gameplay-same graphics-same multiplayer- brings nothing new to the table its practically just reskinned every year. Recent Halo games, each game changes radically, but its either poorly designed or optimized. There's more, but these are the three main ones I can think of. What these three have all in common with each other and Super, is that there mainly banking off past fame and acclaim. ( Effort is put into them, its just minimal enough to keep people coming back) They either don't take risk, barely change anything, are sloppy done, half-assed, or reuse the same concepts, but people will still buy them mainly because of the brand power. Which is fine with the companies in-charge of making them, because all they really care about is the money. The quality of the game can take a backseat as longs as its making money, they don't care if player aren't playing for years to come. As long as they buy their next game its all good. Similarly to Super, the ratings have never ever spiked, they've spiked for an episode or two, but nothing longer than that. Usually when a show is good, the ratings will spike and keep going up and up. Though its never done that for Super once and now they seem to be dropping. Though ratings mean very little in what keeps an anime running its all about the merchandise sales, as a matter of fact, Super ratings could be the bottom of the list. But as long as the merchandise sales are still good, it will stay on the air.
Movies are one time things, not ongoing. If you were talking about a Beauty and the Beast tv series, you may have a point. Transformers, most of the fans of the movies are not the same fans of the 80 cartoons. The fans of the 80 cartoon despises the live-action transformer movies. And the movies themselves have almost no relations with the tv series outside of the names of the bots. The story is new and the entire human cast is OC. Also, how many reboots that depends on brand power and nostalgia failed like Robocop, Conan the Barbarian, The Amazing Spider-Man, Ghostbusters (2016), I can go on.
It doesn't have to be a TV series to garner nostalgia. Finding Dory, Cars, and soon to be Incredibles 2, but you might have a point with Transformers. Though Robocop and The Amazing Spider Man didn't fail they both did good financially and the first one got decent reviews. Of course Ghostbusters (2016) was gonna fail, you can't syphon off nostalgia if you change the gender of the whole cast. I know nothing of Conan the Barbarian.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Scooby Doo have different incarnations. In fact, the new one rarely used nostalgia since it brings thing over from all the TMNT stuff.

All long running series use form of nostalgia and if they don't use that, they use brand power.
So no, for Super brand power and nostalgia got people through the door. It is it's own merits that keep people watching. If it was all "brand power and nostalgia" why didn't Kai do better since that literally all that was, while Heroes throughs crazy crap everywhere without a care and is hugely popular in Japan. The Japanese fandom also didn't take to the new Dr. Slump that aired after GT and that was brand power and nostalgia too.
Super has no merits, the first two arcs were poor retellings of superior movies. Kai was gonna fail regardless, Toei put very little money into it, to be honest you can't even count Kai. It's essentially the exact same show, some episodes and scenes were just cut, mostly anyone on the internet can do that. As a matter of fact, some people are doing it with Naruto Shippuden, so really we didn't have wait for Toei for something like this. Regarding GT when I first watced it, I didn't feel any nostalgia it felt like its own thing. However bad it may be, plus there was little effort put into GT (to actually keep people coming back) and I heard around the Buu Saga is when series sales started to drop. Furthermore, I just checked the second Dr. Slump anime it ran for two years, you're going have to explain how that is a flop. In addition, I found the anime was airing from 1997 to 1999, I imagine it would be facing some stiff competition.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Wed May 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Golden Week in Japan, that explain the ratings.
Seventh place is where the show has been since the beginning approximatively.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Well the latest merchandise sales figures should rubbish any ideas that ratings are something to be concerned about. Pokemon is in it's mid-late 900's episode wise. Like I said these ratings are just fun things for us to follow every week

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Yeah, the merch is selling like hot potatoes... wait let me try that again lol. Its doing so awesome that Toei outdid Cartoon Network in Retail sales.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed May 10, 2017 8:13 pm

Super is probably on track for a 150-200 episode run overall. We're nearly at 100 episodes NOW, it's definitely not ending anytime soon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 15, 2017 12:16 pm

So Super got 5th place for #89 with 5.3%.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So Super got 5th place for #89 with 5.3%.
Where did you find the ratings? And if you could, please post the full ranking(Top 10).

I find it funny how an episode centered on Yurin did better than the return of 17.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon May 15, 2017 1:04 pm

It's here: https://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm

1. Sazae-san - 12.4%
2. Chibi Maruko-chan - 8.2%
3. One Piece - 6.8%
4. Detective Conan - 6.6%
5. Dragon Ball Super - 5.3%
6. My Hero Academia - 3.5%
7. Kira Kira PreCure A la Mode - 3.4%
8. "Extraordinary rare! Ninpadama 25 masterpiece special" (Google Translated this one) - 3.3%
9. Curious George - 3.2%
10. Thomas the Tank Engine - 3.0%

Basically everything moved up two places because there wasn't any Doraemon or Crayon Shin-chan.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks for posting the ratings.

BNHA is back in the top ten and right below DBS.

The next ratings release should be out by around Tuesday/Wednesdays right?

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon May 15, 2017 3:08 pm

precita wrote:Super is probably on track for a 150-200 episode run overall. We're nearly at 100 episodes NOW, it's definitely not ending anytime soon.
I very much wonder what's gonna be the final ep # count, before next series/major timeskip and stuff. I could see the current arc easily lasting till around 125 but I would be surprised it continued longer, given how short previous Super arcs have been. At the same time, this Universe Survival arc feels like it's bringing the current themses, lore expansion and world-building that started in BOG to a natural tipping point/resolution so not really sure how would they continue for another 25-75 episodes to reach 200. I'm more inclined to believe a timeskip and rebranding for post-EOZ series will happen earlier than that

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Basaku wrote:
precita wrote:Super is probably on track for a 150-200 episode run overall. We're nearly at 100 episodes NOW, it's definitely not ending anytime soon.
I very much wonder what's gonna be the final ep # count, before next series/major timeskip and stuff. I could see the current arc easily lasting till around 125 but I would be surprised it continued longer, given how short previous Super arcs have been. At the same time, this Universe Survival arc feels like it's bringing the current themses, lore expansion and world-building that started in BOG to a natural tipping point/resolution so not really sure how would they continue for another 25-75 episodes to reach 200. I'm more inclined to believe a timeskip and rebranding for post-EOZ series will happen earlier than that
Yeah, the current arc feels like everything from BoG on is coming together now, it feels like the natural ending point for the current era of Dragon Ball (not the end of Dragon Ball's revival mind you, just this era in the story), though I get the feeling the next "era" will still be Super.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon May 15, 2017 7:40 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Basaku wrote:
Yeah, the current arc feels like everything from BoG on is coming together now, it feels like the natural ending point for the current era of Dragon Ball (not the end of Dragon Ball's revival mind you, just this era in the story), though I get the feeling the next "era" will still be Super.
Although someone made a good point that 4 Universes are excluded from the tournament so I guess that's material for another arc right there. But I would find it rather ridiculous if Super heavily exceeded DBZ's Kai-fied episode count, it would be milking of the 10 year gap to the max. I really think a major timeskip/shakeup should happen before Super hits ep 200 mark

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Tue May 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Toei Financial Information for the financial year of 2017(April 2016 to March 2017), and Dragon Ball increased by a lot. One Piece also had a good increase as well:(The value below are in Million of Yen)

Domestic Licensing
(2016)
One Piece -> 3,440
Dragon Ball -> 1,947

(2017)
One Piece -> 3,707(+267)
Dragon Ball -> 3,589(+1,642)

Overseas Film
(2016)
One Piece -> 1,683
Dragon Ball -> 1,666

(2017)
Dragon Ball -> 2,215(+549)
One Piece -> 2,021(+338)

Overseas Licensing
(2016)
Dragon Ball -> 1,478
One Piece -> 1,431

(2017)
Dragon Ball -> 3,366(+1,888)
One Piece -> 1,985(+554)

Total
(2016)
One Piece -> 6,554
Dragon Ball -> 5,091

(2017)
Dragon Ball -> 9,170
One Piece -> 7,713

To Note that only the Top 5 Animation studios do sell more than 5.5 Billion Yen(5,500 Million Yen). So just One Piece, or Just Dragon Ball, alone sell more than any of the 80+ studios below the Top 5.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed May 17, 2017 6:03 am

Bigivel wrote:Toei Financial Information for the financial year of 2017(April 2016 to March 2017), and Dragon Ball increased by a lot. One Piece also had a good increase as well:(The value below are in Million of Yen)

Domestic Licensing
(2016)
One Piece -> 3,440
Dragon Ball -> 1,947

(2017)
One Piece -> 3,707(+267)

Overseas Film
(2016)
One Piece -> 1,683
Dragon Ball -> 1,666

(2017)
One Piece -> 2,021(+338)

Overseas Licensing
(2016)
Dragon Ball -> 1,478
One Piece -> 1,431

(2017)
One Piece -> 1,985(+554)

Total
(2016)
One Piece -> 6,554
Dragon Ball -> 5,091

(2017)
Dragon Ball -> 9,170
One Piece -> 7,713

To Note that only the Top 5 Animation studios do sell more than 5.5 Billion Yen(5,500 Million Yen). So just One Piece, or Just Dragon Ball, alone sell more than any of the 80+ studios below the Top 5.
Yeah, that's seriously impressive. But i am sure someone, somewhere, is convincing himself that no, that's not because of Super. Toei is suddenly making a lot more money thanks to old DB catalog!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 am

Yeah there's really zero need for Super to end anytime soon. Unless Toriyama suddenly runs out of ideas which should be really hard now considering he has Toyotarou and this Dragon Room thing or something were to happen to Toriyama then the series should have no problem legging it to 200 episodes.

The ratings have been consistent for the most part since it started.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 am

Araki wrote:
Bigivel wrote:Toei Financial Information for the financial year of 2017(April 2016 to March 2017), and Dragon Ball increased by a lot. One Piece also had a good increase as well:(The value below are in Million of Yen)

Domestic Licensing
(2016)
One Piece -> 3,440
Dragon Ball -> 1,947

(2017)
One Piece -> 3,707(+267)

Overseas Film
(2016)
One Piece -> 1,683
Dragon Ball -> 1,666

(2017)
One Piece -> 2,021(+338)

Overseas Licensing
(2016)
Dragon Ball -> 1,478
One Piece -> 1,431

(2017)
One Piece -> 1,985(+554)

Total
(2016)
One Piece -> 6,554
Dragon Ball -> 5,091

(2017)
Dragon Ball -> 9,170
One Piece -> 7,713

Yeah, that's seriously impressive. But i am sure someone, somewhere, is convincing himself that no, that's not because of Super. Toei is suddenly making a lot more money thanks to old DB catalog!
Why would Toei be making more licensing revenue off on their old catalog when they have a new series? That's absolutely absurd.