Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:42 pm

You left out the fact that it didnt actually outdo Super's Final episode, it only got a 5,4 while One Piece underperformed for some reason...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:17 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You left out the fact that it didnt actually outdo Super's Final episode, it only got a 5,4 while One Piece underperformed for some reason...
You also left the fact that all the other series(the ones that appeared in the previous week) underperformed, so it was a low week overall.

And the fact stands that more people went to watch Kitaro then the following series One Piece, Dragon Ball Super entire run(and Dragon Ball Kai Buu Saga) was never able to achieve that, at most it got the same view as One Piece.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:35 am

You are telling that to me to me or to the poster I was talking to? Either way, I agree and or apologize for any inaccuracies.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Chuquita wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:GeGeGe no Kitaro surpassed One Piece.
https://www.db-z.com/audiences-gegege-no-kitaro
I did some Kitaro research the other day; watched the 1st episode of the new show, all the openings and then the pilot for the original (with then 32-year-old Masako Nozawa) and the pilot for Hakaba Kitaro.

-The new show has incredible atmosphere and the color schemes are gorgeous, but the modern-day characters mostly look pretty generic. I enjoyed the episode, but after being wow'd by Hakaba (which I went through 5 of the 11 episodes of so far) I can't see myself going back next weekend for episode 2. Nozawa's Kitaro's dad in this new one and I'm actually really impressed how she captured the other voice actor's performance while still sounding distinctly her.

-Black and white totally lends itself to 1968 Kitaro's atmosphere, and it's cool to hear such a young Nozawa, but wow a lot of these character designs have that oddly Rocky and Bullwinkle look to them with the exception of the shockingly anachronistic two-armed Graveler-type yokai who miraculously has a Family Guy style face that stands out like a sore thumb against the other designs.

-Hakaba (the 2008 late night Kitaro show that's supposed to be closer to the original manga) somehow despite having Yamamuro on character designs looks really, really good. He lost his touch with Dragon Ball designs, but man can he handle both the realistic noir characters and the super cartoony looking characters. BOG's storyboard guy Chioka is also on this show. Nozawa is Kitaro in this one too, but she sounds a lot more like Goku here than she does in the original. (If you don't care to seek it out, 1968 Kitaro sounds like her Cell arc Gohan except both Nozawa and everyone else speak incredibly quickly).

Also I learned that Kitaro's manga creator was left-handed, lost his left arm, and had to learn how to draw his right arm. As someone who's only tried writing with their non-dominant hand for fun and seen how difficult it is I can't even imagine training to draw as an adult with your non-dominant hand.

If Toei could pull it off somehow I'd love to see them do an 11 episode late night series for Dragon Ball the way they did for Kitaro. It's real good and I'm looking forward to finishing it.
I'm interested in getting into Kitaro but I don't know where to start. Should I watch the old series first before watching the current one or not?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:17 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:GeGeGe no Kitaro surpassed One Piece.
https://www.db-z.com/audiences-gegege-no-kitaro
I did some Kitaro research the other day; watched the 1st episode of the new show, all the openings and then the pilot for the original (with then 32-year-old Masako Nozawa) and the pilot for Hakaba Kitaro.

-The new show has incredible atmosphere and the color schemes are gorgeous, but the modern-day characters mostly look pretty generic. I enjoyed the episode, but after being wow'd by Hakaba (which I went through 5 of the 11 episodes of so far) I can't see myself going back next weekend for episode 2. Nozawa's Kitaro's dad in this new one and I'm actually really impressed how she captured the other voice actor's performance while still sounding distinctly her.

-Black and white totally lends itself to 1968 Kitaro's atmosphere, and it's cool to hear such a young Nozawa, but wow a lot of these character designs have that oddly Rocky and Bullwinkle look to them with the exception of the shockingly anachronistic two-armed Graveler-type yokai who miraculously has a Family Guy style face that stands out like a sore thumb against the other designs.

-Hakaba (the 2008 late night Kitaro show that's supposed to be closer to the original manga) somehow despite having Yamamuro on character designs looks really, really good. He lost his touch with Dragon Ball designs, but man can he handle both the realistic noir characters and the super cartoony looking characters. BOG's storyboard guy Chioka is also on this show. Nozawa is Kitaro in this one too, but she sounds a lot more like Goku here than she does in the original. (If you don't care to seek it out, 1968 Kitaro sounds like her Cell arc Gohan except both Nozawa and everyone else speak incredibly quickly).

Also I learned that Kitaro's manga creator was left-handed, lost his left arm, and had to learn how to draw his right arm. As someone who's only tried writing with their non-dominant hand for fun and seen how difficult it is I can't even imagine training to draw as an adult with your non-dominant hand.

If Toei could pull it off somehow I'd love to see them do an 11 episode late night series for Dragon Ball the way they did for Kitaro. It's real good and I'm looking forward to finishing it.
I'm interested in getting into Kitaro but I don't know where to start. Should I watch the old series first before watching the current one or not?
From personal experience, Kitaro's got that you can start with any of the series and quickly get the hang of it thing that Lupin has. It depends on what you're looking for though because the 3 series I checked in on each had their own aesthetic, but shared characters and stories yet each tells that story differently.

The first episode of 2018 Kitaro is an alternate telling of the Vampire Tree story that's from the manga and episode 3 of Hakaba. It's a suitably creepy story in both versions, but the backstory and who gets turned into a tree is different along with how they put an end to it. Kitaro's got supernatural powers that he shares across all the GeGeGe versions. He's got some of the laid back semi-stoic aspects of Saitama in his personality and he's also a positive force for good that acts as a mediator between the humans and yokai.

The first episode of Hakaba is Kitaro's origin story. It's very noir horror story. Kitaro in Hakaba I compare more to a yokai version of Bart Simpson only he does care about and listen to his birth father most of the time. I think it also has the prologue of the vampire tree story but that doesn't happen until episode 3. Nezumi Otoko, Kitaro's nemesis of sorts appears in episode 2 in both 2018 Kitaro, and Hakaba. In Hakaba, Nezumi Otoko is the one who finds the vampire tree seed and decides to spread it. Also, lots of characters die in Hakaba that you wouldn't think would die, but I don't want to spoil them here.

The first episode of 1968 Kitaro is about a boy who finds a cursed baseball bat that always hits home runs, but it turns out it belongs to a yokai. Kitaro helps the yokai get their bat back by organizing a baseball game where the boy and his team face Kitaro and a yokai team. If the boy wins he keeps the bat, if the yokai win the boy and his team are sent to the afterlife. The Kitaro in this series is very similar to the 2018 Kitaro.

Hakaba grabbed me quicker because of how different it was, but I liked 2018 and 1968 too. It all depends on what you're looking for. I'd suggest watching the opening animations to get a better feel. The only two that share character designs are the 68 and 71 Kitaro series. The 80's, 90's, 07's, Hakaba, and 2018 one each have wildly different character designs so that may play into your choice too.

If Masako Nozawa factors in, she voices Kitaro in 68, 71, Hakaba, and voices his dad in 2018.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:04 am

Chuquita wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

From personal experience, Kitaro's got that you can start with any of the series and quickly get the hang of it thing that Lupin has. It depends on what you're looking for though because the 3 series I checked in on each had their own aesthetic, but shared characters and stories yet each tells that story differently.

The first episode of 2018 Kitaro is an alternate telling of the Vampire Tree story that's from the manga and episode 3 of Hakaba. It's a suitably creepy story in both versions, but the backstory and who gets turned into a tree is different along with how they put an end to it. Kitaro's got supernatural powers that he shares across all the GeGeGe versions. He's got some of the laid back semi-stoic aspects of Saitama in his personality and he's also a positive force for good that acts as a mediator between the humans and yokai.

The first episode of Hakaba is Kitaro's origin story. It's very noir horror story. Kitaro in Hakaba I compare more to a yokai version of Bart Simpson only he does care about and listen to his birth father most of the time. I think it also has the prologue of the vampire tree story but that doesn't happen until episode 3. Nezumi Otoko, Kitaro's nemesis of sorts appears in episode 2 in both 2018 Kitaro, and Hakaba. In Hakaba, Nezumi Otoko is the one who finds the vampire tree seed and decides to spread it. Also, lots of characters die in Hakaba that you wouldn't think would die, but I don't want to spoil them here.

The first episode of 1968 Kitaro is about a boy who finds a cursed baseball bat that always hits home runs, but it turns out it belongs to a yokai. Kitaro helps the yokai get their bat back by organizing a baseball game where the boy and his team face Kitaro and a yokai team. If the boy wins he keeps the bat, if the yokai win the boy and his team are sent to the afterlife. The Kitaro in this series is very similar to the 2018 Kitaro.

Hakaba grabbed me quicker because of how different it was, but I liked 2018 and 1968 too. It all depends on what you're looking for. I'd suggest watching the opening animations to get a better feel. The only two that share character designs are the 68 and 71 Kitaro series. The 80's, 90's, 07's, Hakaba, and 2018 one each have wildly different character designs so that may play into your choice too.

If Masako Nozawa factors in, she voices Kitaro in 68, 71, Hakaba, and voices his dad in 2018.
So, I can jump on to any series and just watch it?
Majinwarman

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:27 am

majinwarman wrote: So, I can jump on to any series and just watch it?
Yup! It's got an easy learning curve. While I'm sure there's some things I partly missed out on due to not knowing much about yokai (like what was that horrifying giant bird near the end of Hakaba?) the main point of who can do what gets across no problem.

Wrapping it back around to Dragon Ball I'd enjoy hearing Nozawa incorporate that amazingly eerie cackle into some future DBS scene.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Chuquita wrote:
majinwarman wrote: So, I can jump on to any series and just watch it?
Yup! It's got an easy learning curve. While I'm sure there's some things I partly missed out on due to not knowing much about yokai (like what was that horrifying giant bird near the end of Hakaba?) the main point of who can do what gets across no problem.

Wrapping it back around to Dragon Ball I'd enjoy hearing Nozawa incorporate that amazingly eerie cackle into some future DBS scene.
Thanks and I wonder if they have started recording audio for the new DBS film.
Majinwarman

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Bigivel wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You left out the fact that it didnt actually outdo Super's Final episode, it only got a 5,4 while One Piece underperformed for some reason...
You also left the fact that all the other series(the ones that appeared in the previous week) underperformed, so it was a low week overall.

And the fact stands that more people went to watch Kitaro then the following series One Piece, Dragon Ball Super entire run(and Dragon Ball Kai Buu Saga) was never able to achieve that, at most it got the same view as One Piece.
Super outperformed One Piece once.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:06 am

We know. We know!

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Just because it was deemed worth discussing last week:
http://www.videor.co.jp/tvrating/2018/04/9657.html
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Unsurprisingly, premiere episodes garner extra attention and interest compared to subsequent ones.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:26 am

Monday, April 9, to Sunday, April 15

12.4 Sazae
9.1 Chibi Maruko-chan
8.0 Crayon Shin-chan
7.1 Doraemon
6.5 One piece
5.9 Detective Conan
5.2 Gegege no Kitaro
3.9 HUG Uh! Pretty Cure
2.9 My Hero Accademia
2.7 Sean the sheep

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 pm

Bigivel wrote:Monday, April 9, to Sunday, April 15

12.4 Sazae
9.1 Chibi Maruko-chan
8.0 Crayon Shin-chan
7.1 Doraemon
6.5 One piece
5.9 Detective Conan
5.2 Gegege no Kitaro
3.9 HUG Uh! Pretty Cure
2.9 My Hero Accademia
2.7 Sean the sheep
I'm surprised that Kitaro is outperforming My Hero Academia.
Majinwarman

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed May 09, 2018 2:01 pm

It was only the 5th episode and Kitaro is already down to a 4.3. Is it losing steam this soon?
Next few weeks/months are gonna be interesting to follow.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed May 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Since SUPER is no longer on TV (for now) shouldn't this thread be closed? What's the purpose of posting new ratings from currently airing non-DB shows (cause at this point this is de-railing)?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 10, 2018 1:28 am

Probably to see how Kitaro is doing in relation to Dragon Ball Super and how it's also boosting up One Piece.

The worse Kitaro does the sooner Dragon Ball Super can come back I'd hope.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 10, 2018 6:33 am

I think people should also remember that summer season is upon us and rating always drop around this time. Also we just had Golden Week, didn't we? I seem to recall Super having lower ratings during this time, too.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue May 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Araki wrote:It was only the 5th episode and Kitaro is already down to a 4.3. Is it losing steam this soon?
Next few weeks/months are gonna be interesting to follow.
Summer time usually means that less people behind screens.
Majinwarman

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:00 am

The rerun special got a 4.1% and came in 7th if anyone cares. I'm not going to add that to the original post though.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Bullza wrote:The rerun special got a 4.1% and came in 7th if anyone cares. I'm not going to add that to the original post though.
I'm not surprised considering Super is still popular and people were expecting new footage of the film to be shown.
Majinwarman