Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhoulEto

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by GhoulEto » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:11 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: And if you are talking about fans looking for more “mature themes” then they would be looking in late night anime not children's shows
Maybe that's what it looks like to me because from the few Japanese Anime fans I interacted with, most prefer Naruto and One Piece over Dragon Ball. Maybe because it only something which has got to do with newer Generation only. But while I was watching Animeman's video on a poll he created on top 100 Famous anime he told that Non Japanese Fans rated Dragon Ball way higher than Japanese one did and as he resides in Japan and interacts a lot with Japanese Otakus or YouTubers he told that they have moved on to better things than Dragon Ball and animes like One Piece, Sword Art online, Bleach, Tokyo Ghoul, Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, Puella Magi Madoka Magic, Tiger and Bunny and Love Live have became New Favourites. Pocket Monster and Dragon Ball will still continue to do well in selling Merchandises.
DB It has a lot of fans that are not "otakus", the surveys are made to the otaku that buy manga and those things, it is normal that they choose other shows.
It is like the list of the best animes that came out and many are taken seriously when possibly only voted 1000 people of millions.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:16 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:Naruto has NEVER been even close to Dragon Ball in popularity, anywhere in the world.
It's not now but back in its prime it was VERY popular alongside One Piece (Which still is) and Bleach (R.I.P). I don't have numbers to back anything up but those 3 were for a long time called the "big 3" of anime so for a time they rivaled DB's popularity.
Theophrastus wrote:This week's One Piece episode covered a whopping 6 pages of manga content probably didn't help any.
That's beyond terrable. Why are they dragging things out this way ? Z had pacing issues but it was never THIS slow.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:10 am

One Piece's anime's pacing has been this bad for a while now. I can watch it on double speed and don't lose anything, imo.

This is one of the upsides of Super not having a weekly manga. Toei's pacing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:18 am

So everything is up by a lot and it dropped a rank or two?

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:54 pm

sintzu wrote:
Theophrastus wrote:This week's One Piece episode covered a whopping 6 pages of manga content probably didn't help any.
That's beyond terrable. Why are they dragging things out this way ? Z had pacing issues but it was never THIS slow.
Some combination of:
- In this case they technically covered stuff that occurred off-screen in the manga (or Toei's idea of what happened, anyway)
- Toei reeeeaally does not like to do pure filler arcs, and even when they do have them they tend to be very short (like, only 3-4 episodes).
- To preserve Oda's health as much as possible, Shueisha makes him to take a week off roughly every month or so. They've been doing this since 2014 or so, and basically it translates to One Piece releasing about 40 chapters a year (as opposed to 48 for most other weekly series). Toei has to make up for that somehow, and as mentioned they don't seem to like doing filler arcs.
- They can get away with it because even with awful pacing the One Piece anime is still more popular than 95% of its contemporaries.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Theophrastus wrote:Toei reeeeaally does not like to do pure filler arcs, and even when they do have them they tend to be very short (like, only 3-4 episodes).
I'm not caught up but doesn't that really ruin the arc's pacing ?

People always complain about Shippuden's filler but at least that was separate from the manga content so if you didn't like it you could just wait till it was finished but You can't really do that in One Piece's case. Another thing is that filler arcs are at least real content, this just seems like time wasting.

GhoulEto

Post by GhoulEto » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:28 pm

sintzu wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:Naruto has NEVER been even close to Dragon Ball in popularity, anywhere in the world.
It's not now but back in its prime it was VERY popular alongside One Piece (Which still is) and Bleach (R.I.P). I don't have numbers to back anything up but those 3 were for a long time called the "big 3" of anime so for a time they rivaled DB's popularity.
Black Clover is also called "one of the big 3" and look how "famous" it is (sarcasm)

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm

GhoulEto wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Black Clover is also called "one of the big 3" and look how "famous" it is (sarcasm)
No matter how popular animes like my hero academia or Black Clover get they won't react the fame of big 3.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
GhoulEto wrote: Black Clover is also called "one of the big 3" and look how "famous" it is (sarcasm)
No matter how popular animes like my hero academia or Black Clover get they won't react the fame of big 3.
The term is overused now. Back then the big 3 had real weight to it as nothing could go up against them for the longest time but now anything popular is called that even though their popularity never lasts and is replaced by the next thing.

Now there's just the big 1 and that's One Piece.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Shonen anime don't seem very popular anymore in Japan in general, outside of long runners like Dragonball and One Piece.

Now Japan is obsessed with waifu shows like Love Live, or just cute schoolgirls sitting around doing cute things. Now everything in Japan is about moe and fanservice, literally every popular show I see them talk about elsewhere is just slice of life or idol nonsense about teenage girls dancing around and wearing outfits. What the hell...

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:45 pm

sintzu wrote: I'm not caught up but doesn't that really ruin the arc's pacing ?

People always complain about Shippuden's filler but at least that was separate from the manga content so if you didn't like it you could just wait till it was finished but You can't really do that in One Piece's case. Another thing is that filler arcs are at least real content, this just seems like time wasting.
Yes it has become unwatchable. Luckily there is the OnePace group which takes out all filler parts from the episodes(well edited) to increase the quality. But the animation quality and directing efforts are at early DBS level most of the time. The show has gone to shit and has become a lost case.

I read on Arlong park forums(a cancerous OP forum) that Japanese viewers have also started complaining recently. Hopefully this will move Toei into a direction of doing pure filler arcs like Naruto. I mean OP is the perfect series for this. It isn't even about the plot, more about the adventure/journey

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 pm

precita wrote:Shonen anime don't seem very popular anymore in Japan in general, outside of long runners like Dragonball and One Piece.

Now Japan is obsessed with waifu shows like Love Live, or just cute schoolgirls sitting around doing cute things. Now everything in Japan is about moe and fanservice, literally every popular show I see them talk about elsewhere is just slice of life or idol nonsense about teenage girls dancing around and wearing outfits. What the hell...

This is totally not true otherwise it wouldn’t explain the success of shounen like AOT, MHA, and various sports series like Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal, etc

And while I am personally not a fan of Love Live I have many good friends who are and they are not into Moe or Fanservice shows.

Edit: I think what many people fail to realize is there are
many ways to measure the success of a series: Disc sales, manga sales, merchandise sales, ratings etc. To be a success a series does not have to perform well in all these categories and most successful series don’t.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:33 am

Son Vegito wrote:The animation quality and directing efforts are at early DBS level most of the time.
I thought Super's issues were due to the lack of pre-production time but One Piece has been airing since 1999. If anything it should've gotten a lot better as time went on.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:24 am

Son Vegito wrote:
sintzu wrote: I'm not caught up but doesn't that really ruin the arc's pacing ?

Yes it has become unwatchable. Luckily there is the OnePace group which takes out all filler parts from the episodes(well edited) to increase the quality. But the animation quality and directing efforts are at early DBS level most of the time. The show has gone to shit and has become a lost case.

I read on Arlong park forums(a cancerous OP forum) that Japanese viewers have also started complaining recently. Hopefully this will move Toei into a direction of doing pure filler arcs like Naruto. I mean OP is the perfect series for this. It isn't even about the plot, more about the adventure/journey

Pure filler arc can be fantastic if they put in enough effort. One of the best examples for this IMO is Bleach with it's Zanpaktou Rebellion arc. The pacing in the manga had gotten so bad that they couldn't even wait for a "break" in the canon plotline to squeeze in filler, and instead dropped an entire unrelated arc smack dag in the middle of the Hueco Mundo arc. But it worked!!! Because the arc itself was good. In fact, a lot of people argued it was better than the canon plotline and actually bemoaned going back to the Aizen fight once it was over.

So yes to filler in favor of painfully stretched out main plotline.

If there is one thing DBS does better than DBZ is pacing.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:35 am

Son Vegito wrote: Yes it has become unwatchable. Luckily there is the OnePace group which takes out all filler parts from the episodes(well edited) to increase the quality. But the animation quality and directing efforts are at early DBS level most of the time. The show has gone to shit and has become a lost case.

Calling One Piece animation 'early Super' shows that you don't remember what early Super looks like. People who follow the production of Super would killed to have the production value One Piece enjoys.

Also, pure filler nearly killed Naruto, so I hope not.
Last edited by HeroR on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:49 am

HeroR wrote:Also, pure filler nearly killed Naruto, so I hope not.
If that were the case they would've stopped the filler.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:56 am

sintzu wrote:
HeroR wrote:Also, pure filler nearly killed Naruto, so I hope not.
If that were the case they would've stopped the filler.
I said nearly killed Naruto. Naruto's ratings tanked because of all the filler they put in the show before they rebrand for part 2, and we have shows that were cancelled for poor ratings because of excess filler like Rurouni Kenshin.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:02 am

HeroR wrote:Naruto's ratings tanked because of all the filler they put in the show before they rebrand for part 2.
I thought you were talking about Shippuden. I read that filler is what killed it on Toonami as well.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:10 am

sintzu wrote:
HeroR wrote:Naruto's ratings tanked because of all the filler they put in the show before they rebrand for part 2.
I thought you were talking about Shippuden. I read that filler is what killed it on Toonami as well.
Pretty much. Shippuden had filler, but it didn't get a year's worth until the final story arc. Even then, Naruto never really recovered.
Kanassa wrote:

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:23 am

People, forget(or don't know) that 4 episodes of anime is 1 Month. 8 episodes 2 months, 12 episodes 3 months and 1 season!

Having 1 season of filler doesn't make 1 person stop watching an anime and then return to the canon episodes. It makes people go and never return.

Also, people simple counting pages for pacing. Yep, don't count the original content and how the material is in fact paced into the episode.
Just counting pages is assuming 2 things. That 1 page of One Piece as the same content as another page of One Piece. And that 1 page of One Piece as the same content as 1 page of any other series.

Like in average 1 page of Bleach as the same content as 1 page of Naruto and the same of One Piece.

And Like 1 page of implicit action in One Piece(like 10 people all interacting with each other. This happened in Zou Mink Fortress) as the same content than 1 page of a cool shot(like when Luffy punched the Celestial Dragon).

Please people!

I still didn't watched the episode so I don't really know if it was really just 6 pages, but I know that it was adapting the chapter where there was a huge fight of like 3 vs hundreds or even thousands. Not only in the manga majority was off-screened and made implicit, but is easy to extend such a thing without any problem in pacing.