Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Alee9977 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Sodhi wrote:I don't see it. Unless you are talking about DVR ratings, then DBS even reached 1st place. Info is on the first page of this thread.
Oh you are right, I was thinking about a fake articule I posted here time ago where it showed Super was second and One Piece was first, my bad.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Does anyone have an idea, how they calculate viewership? Like, is it how many people tuned in before Super started, or does it also takes how many people turned in until the show ended into consideration.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:41 pm

buutenks wrote:.
But anyways, DBS is mostly about seeling stuff, so even if it will have poor ratings, but still sells merchandise it wont be canceled.
Sorry if it sounds rude but
Did they make anime to attone for their sins? Or to make the world a better place?

As far as I know, anime and merchandising go hand in hand, there is nothing wrong with selling merchandise..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Sorry if this sounds rude, but why are you acting like they didnt just say what you said right now. They werent condemning Super, just stated "We dont need ratings to keep the show going if it has merch selling".
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Ratings went up, probably because the fans liked how Gohan performed well vs Lavenda, despite not having Mystic form he made up by using strategy. The fight had some nice storytelling as well.

And also Daishinkan announcement.

KaiserAcedia

Post by KaiserAcedia » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Prediction was allright. Even If you guys are saying that fight choreography, animation quality and story telling aren't the reasons for a possible average increase in the future, I believe it. The first fights in DBS were really uninspired, but now we see more action and varity in the fights. Not just energy blasts and throwing punches. And as the DBS lovers are goining around to brag about how the fights, animation and story improved. They will draw in more and more people, who will watch Super.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Ratings went up, probably because the fans liked how Gohan performed well vs Lavenda, despite not having Mystic form he made up by using strategy. The fight had some nice storytelling as well.

And also Daishinkan announcement.
None of that was in the preview though. There was no way for people knowing about this stuff before the episode aired. Ratings are based on veiwership not how good the episode was :D

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:00 pm

kinisking wrote: I'm saying that the ratings went down for other series those weeks too, so there's no way Gohan caused the ratings to drop. It's just a coincidence. Just like this week was a coincidence that it rose. The percentages are good because it means more people watched that week, but the ranking is what really matters. It shows how good it did in comparison to other shows. If the percentage dropped, but the ranking stays the same it means that there was an overall change amongst all the shows. That means what happened in super that week isn't the cause of the ratings dropping.
But the general ratings didn't go that much and are you telling me that Gohan's episodes, except this one, just happened to have bad luck when they aired?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:06 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote: I'm saying that the ratings went down for other series those weeks too, so there's no way Gohan caused the ratings to drop. It's just a coincidence. Just like this week was a coincidence that it rose. The percentages are good because it means more people watched that week, but the ranking is what really matters. It shows how good it did in comparison to other shows. If the percentage dropped, but the ranking stays the same it means that there was an overall change amongst all the shows. That means what happened in super that week isn't the cause of the ratings dropping.
But the general ratings didn't go that much and are you telling me that Gohan's episodes, except this one, just happened to have bad luck when they aired?
I am telling you that. They'res actual evidence supporting it when you look at other shows. Besides, what do you even consider Gohan episodes ? The only ones that can be classified as actual Gohan episodes are 52, 73, 74 and 80. 3/4 were a rise from the episodes before it. The ones that had Gohan doing something seemingly important were 22,23, 30, 52, 73, 74, 75 and 80. 6\8 had a rise from the previous episodes. So, your argument really doesn't have much substance.

These %'s are NOT a way to understand how interested the Japanese fanbase is in an episode. There are so much factors involved. I'm not trying to say that the Japanese are interested in a Gohan return. I simply don't know. However, using the percentages as an excuse is really,really bad.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:45 pm

kinisking wrote: I am telling you that. They'res actual evidence supporting it when you look at other shows. Besides, what do you even consider Gohan episodes ? The only ones that can be classified as actual Gohan episodes are 52, 73, 74 and 80. 3/4 were a rise from the episodes before it. The ones that had Gohan doing something seemingly important were 22,23, 30, 52, 73, 74, 75 and 80. 6\8 had a rise from the previous episodes. So, your argument really doesn't have much substance.

These %'s are NOT a way to understand how interested the Japanese fanbase is in an episode. There are so much factors involved. I'm not trying to say that the Japanese are interested in a Gohan return. I simply don't know. However, using the percentages as an excuse is really,really bad.
It isn't an excuse at all. This is the actually statics. Episode 52 was a drop from Episode 51 and Episode 72 aired during Christmas, which is usually a rating dead pool. Gohan wasn't important in Episode 30 outside of a brief clip of him and Piccolo. The same with Episode 75 which was specifically build as a Krillin episode. Gohan was little more than a cameo.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:54 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote: I am telling you that. They'res actual evidence supporting it when you look at other shows. Besides, what do you even consider Gohan episodes ? The only ones that can be classified as actual Gohan episodes are 52, 73, 74 and 80. 3/4 were a rise from the episodes before it. The ones that had Gohan doing something seemingly important were 22,23, 30, 52, 73, 74, 75 and 80. 6\8 had a rise from the previous episodes. So, your argument really doesn't have much substance.

It isn't an excuse at all. This is the actually statics. Episode 52 was a drop from Episode 51 and Episode 72 aired during Christmas, which is usually a rating dead pool. Gohan wasn't important in Episode 30 outside of a brief clip of him and Piccolo. The same with Episode 75 which was specifically build as a Krillin episode. Gohan was little more than a cameo.
But the Neps are how people know what the episode is going to be like. The audience isn't psychic. Piccolo and Gohan training was shown in the NEP for 30 so of course it would bring in viewers regardless if the episode itself didn't have them with a huge role. Same with episode 75 which advertised a Gohan versus Goku fight.

So are you going to ignore what I said about placements and the fact that even when it comes to percentages , Gohan's situation isn't as bad as you claim?

You can bring up Christmas all you like, but this fight was advertised even in magazines, Christmas isn't as important in Japan and is Goku versus Hit for God sake. Still had worse ratings though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:00 pm

kinisking wrote:
But the Neps are how people know what the episode is going to be like. The audience isn't psychic. Piccolo and Gohan training was shown in the NEP for 30 so of course it would bring in viewers regardless if the episode itself didn't have them with a huge role. Same with episode 75 which advertised a Gohan versus Goku fight.

So are you going to ignore what I said about placements and the fact that even when it comes to percentages , Gohan's situation isn't as bad as you claim?
Going by the NEP, they still didn't put important on Gohan outside of the Resurrection 'F' Saga, Episode 52, and Episode 73 and 74. The NEP put the emphasizes on other characters, especially Episode 75 that has Krillin's name in the title so everyone knew who the focus would be. Episode 30 had Gohan vs. Piccolo for a second, and there were other scenes besides them. So say that because Gohan was in the NEP means he was important is flawed.

The ratings, outside of this last episodes, had the % go down. To say it was all because everyone happened to go down at the same time runs into problems since it almost always seem to happen with Gohan.

Christmas is important in Japan. Why do you think some shows don't air and they have special instead? Why do you think that episode was rank #5 despite it's low ratings? It's just not as important as other parts of the world. But it is still important and the ratings for everything is down on Christmas and Christmas Eve. So, yes. Goku and Hit's rematch being on Christmas Day in Japan impacted the ratings.
Kanassa wrote:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:06 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote:

Going by the NEP, they still didn't put important on Gohan outside of the Resurrection 'F' Saga, Episode 52, and Episode 73 and 74. The NEP put the emphasizes on other characters, especially Episode 75 that has Krillin's name in the title so everyone knew who the focus would be. Episode 30 had Gohan vs. Piccolo for a second, and there were other scenes besides them. So say that because Gohan was in the NEP means he was important is flawed.

The ratings, outside of this last episodes, had the % go down. To say it was all because everyone happened to go down at the same time runs into problems since it almost always seem to happen with Gohan.
Except something like Gohan and Piccolo training or Goku and Gohan fighting is definitely something the fanbase is into. According to your logic, the drop in percentage with episode 76 proves that the Japanese cared about the Gohan part of the episode more than the krillin part.

You can't say it had no impact on the ratings and then say Gohans at fault for the percentages dropping when it happened with the other shows. It's just a coincidence and the placements prove it. Especially when I showed you that your claim about Gohan episodes having a drop in percentage is bullshit regardless. I'm done with this conversation .

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:20 pm

kinisking wrote: Except something like Gohan and Piccolo training or Goku and Gohan fighting is definitely something the fanbase is into. According to your logic, the drop in percentage with episode 76 proves that the Japanese cared about the Gohan part of the episode more than the krillin part.

You can't say it had no impact on the ratings and then say Gohans at fault for the percentages dropping when it happened with the other shows. It's just a coincidence and the placements prove it. Especially when I showed you that your claim about Gohan episodes having a drop in percentage is bullshit regardless. I'm done with this conversation .
Do you really think people turned into that episode to see Gohan and Piccolo spar when the entire premise of the episode was recruiting the U7 team, especially since it was known well in advance that Gohan wasn't part of it? They could be just there to see Piccolo using this logic. And Goku and Gohan's fight wasn't the main focus on the NEP of Episode 75. It was about Goku and Krillin. What sense does it make that fans were not into the Gohan central episodes of 73 and 74, yet they all came to watched a sparring match in Episode 75 that wasn't even the primary focus of the episode?

You're trying to say little snippers with Gohan, who wasn't even the primary focus, brought fans into watched an episode, yet for some reason episode with him as the prime focus don't bring ratings outside of this last episode, probably because this was Gohan first real fight in over a year. And it's a funny 'coincidence' as you put it the Gohan's central episode tend to have drops.
Kanassa wrote:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:40 am

I think you guys are trying to hard to make the drops or rises in viewership about the episode without enough knowledge at all about external factors.

i.e. Was there something else special on TV that day. Was it nice out and people went outside? Was it raining and people stayed inside and watched TV? etc.
Trying to determine viewership changes without those facts and context is really pointless. I would say it often has little to do with the episode itself.
What you should be looking for are trends rather than week to week ratings, is it trending up (adding more and more audience members), trending down (meaning more people are quitting the show each week),
or remaining static (meaning its only appealing to a core faithful audience and not expanding nor losing them). So far Super has stayed unbelivably constant over its entire run so I would say its appeal is only to a core faithful fanbase, but that fanbase has been faithfully watching the show.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:52 am

TheMikado wrote:I think you guys are trying to hard to make the drops or rises in viewership about the episode without enough knowledge at all about external factors.

i.e. Was there something else special on TV that day. Was it nice out and people went outside? Was it raining and people stayed inside and watched TV? etc.
Trying to determine viewership changes without those facts and context is really pointless. I would say it often has little to do with the episode itself.
What you should be looking for are trends rather than week to week ratings, is it trending up (adding more and more audience members), trending down (meaning more people are quitting the show each week),
or remaining static (meaning its only appealing to a core faithful audience and not expanding nor losing them). So far Super has stayed unbelivably constant over its entire run so I would say its appeal is only to a core faithful fanbase, but that fanbase has been faithfully watching the show.
That's another reason as to why judging percentages and interest to the viewer correlation is stupid.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:02 am

kinisking wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I think you guys are trying to hard to make the drops or rises in viewership about the episode without enough knowledge at all about external factors.

That's another reason as to why judging percentages and interest to the viewer correlation is stupid.

That's not what I'm saying, they aren't completely stupid at all. I'm saying the trend is important.
I jumped back to page 5 of this thread which was July 2015 and Super was still at 7th. I believe it jumped a few times as high as 5th, but its been trending at the same percentage and position since basically its inception.
I don't know enough about Japan's line up to know what its competing against, but it pretty much shows its not bringing in new viewers in drove, but its not losing any either. My only question is its TV competition. Is it competing in the same time slot against some popular NEW shows or older reruns? That would give us more insight into what we could learn about its viewership percentages.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:47 pm

TV share ratings for February 27 - March 5 (episode #81 of Super):
  1. Sazae-san (14.3%)
  2. Doraemon Crayon Shinchan The spring! (9.6%)
  3. Chibi Maruko-chan (9.6%)
  4. Detective Conan (7.1%)
  5. One Piece (6.8%)
  6. Dragon Ball Super (6.4%)
  7. Anime Oasu no George (3.9%)
  8. Time Bokan (3.9%)
  9. Glittering Pretty Cure Ara Mode (3.8%)
  10. Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon (3.7%)

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:05 pm

Good ratings, they're keeping consistent, very close to One Piece. Speaking of which, i'm curious to see how OP will do during the filler arc, as Zou was officially over this weekend. I think the upcoming Sanji arc can see ratings rise again, what would be good to DBS.
TheMikado wrote: So far Super has stayed unbelivably constant over its entire run so I would say its appeal is only to a core faithful fanbase, but that fanbase has been faithfully watching the show.
It doesn't sound right to say a show with an average of 6.0+ only appeals to a "core faithful fanbase", when that's like three times Naruto's current viewership and pretty much doubles what Pokemon has been getting over the same period, and those are huge, mainstream franchises.

Thing is, all the regular top 10 shows went through little change since July 2015, if any at all. One Piece saw a slight drop ever since Dressrosa ended, but that's pretty much it. I doubt DBS will get any noticeable ratings rise no matter what they do, as kids are tuning in every Sunday morning since day one already, so any boost a new arc could bring would likely come from adult fans that are more inclined to record the show and watch it later.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Super's ratings remain consistent, but I'm kinda surprised the One Piece is as low as it is.