Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 pm

What's the obsession in this thread with beating One Piece? I don't get it. They're both produced by Toei, they're not in competition with each other.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

precita wrote:What's the obsession in this thread with beating One Piece? I don't get it. They're both produced by Toei, they're not in competition with each other.
Yeah. Also theses ratings are great I don't see why people act there is like a desperate need for the ratings to be higher.

Super a merchandise anime like Pokemon is a merchandise anime.

And Super is selling merchandise like crazy and its gonna sky rocket when all of the new fighters in this current arc start appearing.

Super has been well recieved since the Champa arc by the general audience since the Champa arc and I don't know why some of the hardcore fans act like its on life support or something.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 pm

What are the odds of a show beat its lead-in by just a 0.1% ?!
Pretty small, but it just happened. Feels like a prank.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
kinisking wrote: We've been equal before. Canon doesn't impact ratings that much either.
Wait we have? What episode?
Episode 62
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:21 pm

precita wrote:What's the obsession in this thread with beating One Piece? I don't get it. They're both produced by Toei, they're not in competition with each other.
One Piece is the highest selling manga of all time by a huge margin, and the benchmark for manga industry in Japan. Beating One Piece is a huge deal for a shonen series
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
One Piece is the highest selling manga of all time by a huge margin, and the benchmark for manga industry in Japan. Beating One Piece is a huge deal for a shonen series
Don't talk about One Piece like it is the best manga ever. Dragon Ball is more known in all over the world and its merchandising sales are way bigger than OP, and it is a benchmark for manga and anime too.
Dragon Ball is a more important franchise world-wide than One Piece.

And it is a huge deal beating One Piece but maybe for new and not-known animes, not for DB, which already has a solid fanbase and a huge rating being beaten by One Piece just because Super is the lead-in, if we put One Piece in Super's timeslot and Super in One Piece's, things will be different.

I don't try to say Super is better than OP, that's subjective, but numbers and facts proves that DB is more important than OP.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:49 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Don't talk about One Piece like it is the best manga ever. Dragon Ball is more known in all over the world and its merchandising sales are way bigger than OP, and it is a benchmark for manga and anime too.
Dragon Ball is a more important franchise world-wide than One Piece.

And it is a huge deal beating One Piece but maybe for new and not-known animes, not for DB, which already has a solid fanbase and a huge rating being beaten by One Piece just because Super is the lead-in, if we put One Piece in Super's timeslot and Super in One Piece's, things will be different.

I don't try to say Super is better than OP, that's subjective, but numbers and facts proves that DB is more important than OP.
Dragon Ball is not near One Piece in Japan. One Piece absolutely dominates Dragon Ball in Japan, even in merchandise. Worldwide sales isn't very important to anime industry, all anime are created with local audience in mind.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote: Dragon Ball is not near One Piece in Japan. One Piece absolutely dominates Dragon Ball in Japan, even in merchandise. Worldwide sales isn't very important to anime industry, all anime are created with local audience in mind.
Nop, Super has far better sales than OP, and you can check that just by looking for it in the forum.
Super is superior to OP in merchandising and DVD sales (again, look for it in the forum and you will find it), the only thing OP is far superior and unjustifiably is in manga sales, which last time I checked, OP was in top 5 and Super in top 15 if I remember correctly.

Well, DB is not made for only local audience, since the very first moment they knew the series was going to arrive in a lot of countries all around the globe.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:16 am

Damn, we were so close! good ratings for Super overall.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 am

Alee9977 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Nop, Super has far better sales than OP, and you can check that just by looking for it in the forum.
Super is superior to OP in merchandising and DVD sales (again, look for it in the forum and you will find it), the only thing OP is far superior and unjustifiably is in manga sales, which last time I checked, OP was in top 5 and Super in top 15 if I remember correctly.

Well, DB is not made for only local audience, since the very first moment they knew the series was going to arrive in a lot of countries all around the globe.
Dragon Ball is more popular in North America, One Piece dominates it in Japan and several other territories and the numbers prove that. You can even see it in Film Gold's overall box office when compared to Resurrection F's. You don't need to save face for Dragon Ball, people seem to forget that this isn't a popularity contest especially when both anime series' are done by Toei Animation
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:22 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Dragon Ball is more popular in North America, One Piece dominates it in Japan and several other territories and the numbers prove that. You can even see it in Film Gold's overall box office when compared to Resurrection F's. You don't need to save face for Dragon Ball, people seem to forget that this isn't a popularity contest especially when both anime series' are done by Toei Animation

This isn't a popularity contest, but saying OP dominates Japan, when numbers prove you that's not the case, is a little too much.
Merchandising, DVD/Bluray sales, videogames is something DB dominates. OP manga sales are by far waay bigger than DB's, and ratings are pretty similar majority of time and others OP surpass it by a bigger margin.
I'm not defending DB and I don't have anything against OP, in fact, I'm trying to be most objective as possible.
The thing is that saying OP dominates Japan and it will be the most difficult thing in the world for DB to surpass OP in ratings is clearly wrong.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 am

Alee9977 wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Dragon Ball is more popular in North America, One Piece dominates it in Japan and several other territories and the numbers prove that. You can even see it in Film Gold's overall box office when compared to Resurrection F's. You don't need to save face for Dragon Ball, people seem to forget that this isn't a popularity contest especially when both anime series' are done by Toei Animation

This isn't a popularity contest, but saying OP dominates Japan, when numbers prove you that's not the case, is a little too much.
Merchandising, DVD/Bluray sales, videogames is something DB dominates. OP manga sales are by far waay bigger than DB's, and ratings are pretty similar majority of time and others OP surpass it by a bigger margin.
I'm not defending DB and I don't have anything against OP, in fact, I'm trying to be most objective as possible.
The thing is that saying OP dominates Japan and it will be the most difficult thing in the world for DB to surpass OP in ratings is clearly wrong.
You don't seem to understand that there are numbers that prove what you're saying wrong, Dragon Ball isn't more popular than One Piece in Japan. Look back at those numbers
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:44 am

I checked the numbers just to be sure and Bandai Namco makes more money on Dragon Ball than One Piece but their earnings are worldwide and with Dragon Ball being more popular in several territories, meaning that the video games and figures are bought a lot in those territories as the series is popular in those areas and thats all that Bandai has for DB products in those areas which only adds to Bandai's merhcandise sales for Japan, its obvious why its worldwide sales for Bandai Namco were higher than One Piece's but if it was just for Japan, that would be a different story. Without the international sales, One Piece would be higher for Bandai Namco which proves that it's much more popular in Japan and I also looked at Toei's earnings and One Piece still rocks the domestic licensing and film area for them. So this points to Dragon Ball being more popular internationally while One Piece is more popular than Dragon Ball in Japan along with even being second in International Licensing and Film for Toei behind Dragon Ball. So, I don't know what numbers you looked at but this seems pretty clear to me that One Piece is more popular in Japan than Dragon Ball
Last edited by VejituhTheWarriorGuy on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:48 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
You don't seem to understand that there are numbers that prove what you're saying wrong, Dragon Ball isn't more popular than One Piece in Japan. Look back at those numbers
I'm not saying DB is more popular than OP and I won't say it because it is not true. Neither OP or DB are more popular than the other in Japan, there are certain areas where OP makes more money than DB and other areas where DB makes more money than OP.
And the numbers I'm talking about are the files of Toei's fiscal year which were posted in the Official Announcement Thread months ago.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:50 am

Alee9977 wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
I'm not saying DB is more popular than OP and I won't say it because it is not true. Neither OP or DB are more popular than the other in Japan, there are certain areas where OP makes more money than DB and other areas where DB makes more money than OP.
And the numbers I'm talking about are the files of Toei's fiscal year which were posted in the Official Announcement Thread months ago.
Just looked at them, and made a response above. One Piece is more popular in Japan flat out

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:24 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I checked the numbers just to be sure and Bandai Namco makes more money on Dragon Ball than One Piece but their earnings are worldwide and with Dragon Ball being more popular in several territories, meaning that the video games and figures are bought a lot in those territories which only adds to Bandai's merhcnaidse sales for Japan, its obvious why its worldwide sales for Bandai Namco were higher than One Piece's but if it was just for Japan, that would be a different story. Without the international sales, One Piece would be higher for Bandai Namco which proves that it's much more popular in Japan and I also looked at Toei's earnings and One Piece still rocks the domestic licensing and film area for them. So this points to Dragon Ball being more popular internationally while One Piece is more popular than Dragon Ball in Japan along with even being second in International Licensing and Film for Toei behind Dragon Ball. So, I don't know what numbers you looked at but this seems pretty clear to me that One Piece is more popular in Japan than Dragon Ball
It's hard to tell by only making assumptions, although they are worldwide, the majority of merchandising numbers come from Japan, you can even tell that by seeing how much merchandise there is in Japan that there isn't in the rest of the world.
Even if we took the numbers that comes from outseas, both DB and OP will go down but still, DB numbers will be higher. I mean, DB sales are almost 50% highers than OP, and outseas would represent maybe a 25-30% at maximum (You can see this in Bandai Namco financial statement, where only a 20% maybe of their incomes come from the rest of the world)
Yes, I told you before, domestic licensing (ratings) and film are better for OP (pretty obvious since DB doesn't make tons of films anymore), but all that has to do with merchandising, videogames and DVD are better for DB, but DVD and Bluray is something difficult to compare since DB sets have 12 episodes and OP only four if I'm correct.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Talking specifically about Japan, Dragon Ball absolutely does not sell more DVDs than One Piece does. Internationally, probably, but not in Japan.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 16/.110415
[spoiler]

Code: Select all

1	562,503	Mr. Osomatsu
2	305,095	Zootopia
3	237,883	Love Live! The School Idol Movie
4	230,516	Girls und Panzer der Film
5	175,581	Love Live! Sunshine!!
6	145,472	Owarimonogatari
7	136,518	Haikyu!! Second Season
8	134,059	Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
9	121,481	Minions
10	113,564	Love Live!
11	98,964	Finding Dory
12	93,431	Girls und Panzer
13	89,387	Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
14	86,866	Is the order a rabbit?
15	86,853	Boruto -Naruto the Movie-
16	81,368	One Piece
17	76,853	The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls
18	76,243	Sofia the First
19	75,731	Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare
20	70,751	Eiga Yo-kai Watch: Enma Daioh to Itsutsu no Monogatari da Nyan!
21	68,791	Re:Zero
22	68,328	Despicable Me Series
23	67,302	The Boy and The Beast
24	64,136	Love Live! Series
25	63,133	One-Punch Man
26	62,204	Soreike! Anpanman
27	61,919	Gintama゜
28	58,802	KonoSuba – God’s blessing on this wonderful world!!
29	54,170	Macross Delta
30	53,959	JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable
[/spoiler]
In 2016, One Piece had the 16th highest total DVD/BD sales for animation in Japan. Dragon Ball didn't even make the top 30 list.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 16/.110973
[spoiler]

1	66,275	Mr. Osomatsu 1st Matsu (Limited First Pressing DVD)	AVP	16/1/29
Animation
2	63,568	Eiga Yo-kai Watch: Enma Daioh to Itsutsu no Monogatari da Nyan! (Special Price Edition DVD)	SGK/MFI	16/7/6
Animation
3	57,380	Minions	NUE	16/6/3
Animation
4	47,965	Mr. Osomatsu 2nd Matsu (Limited First Pressing DVD)	AVP	16/2/26
Animation
5	44,469	Despicable Me Mini Movie Collection 500-Yen DVD	NUE	14/12/19
Animation
6	40,856	Despicable Me 2 (14.09)	NUE	14/9/3
Animation
7	37,268	Mr. Osomatsu 3rd Matsu (Limited First Pressing DVD)	AVP	16/3/25
Animation
8	35,183	Boruto -Naruto the Movie- (Limited Complete Pressing)	ANX	16/7/6
Animation
9	35,023	Despicable Me (12.04)	GUE	12/4/13
Animation
10	33,261	Mr. Osomatsu 4th Matsu (Limited First Pressing DVD)	AVP	16/4/29
Animation
11	32,594	The Boy and The Beast	VAP	16/2/24
Animation
12	31,755	My Neighbor Totoro	WDS	14/7/16
Animation
13	29,823	Mr. Osomatsu 5th Matsu (Limited First Pressing DVD)	AVP	16/5/27
Animation
14	27,372	Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare (Limited Special First Pressing)	SGK	16/10/26
Animation
15	27,301	Mr. Osomatsu Sixth Matsu (Limited First Pressing DVD)	AVP	16/6/24
Animation
16	24,189	Mr. Osomatsu 7th Matsu (Limited First Pressing DVD)	AVP	16/7/29
Animation
17	22,919	Mr. Osomatsu 8th Matsu (Limited First Pressing DVD)	AVP	16/8/26
Animation
18	17,526	Girls und Panzer der Film	BVS	16/5/27
Animation
19	14,890	Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin III	BVS	16/6/10
Animation
20	14,687	Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare	SGK	16/10/26
Animation
21	13,801	Toy Story That Time Forgot	WDS	16/3/2
Animation
22	13,222	Doraemon Shin Nobita no Nihon Tanjō	SGK	16/8/10
Animation
23	12,314	Kiki's Delivery Service	WDS	14/7/16
Animation
24	11,966	(Limited First Edition) High Speed! -Free! Starting Days-	KYA/High Speed Production Committee	16/7/20
Animation
25	11,689	Crayon Shin-chan Bakusui! Yumemi World Dai Totsugeki	SDO	16/11/4
Animation
26	11,679	Minions & Despicable Me + Bonus DVD DVD Series Pack (Limited First Pressing)	NUE	15/12/2
Animation
27	11,332	Soreike! Anpanman: Mija to Mahō no Lamp	VAP	15/11/25
Animation
28	11,161	One Piece Log Collection "Noah"	AVP	15/12/25
Animation
29	10,903	Yowapeda/Yowamushi Pedal (movie)	TOH	16/2/17
Animation
30	10,495	Kuroko's Basketball 3rd Season 9	BVS	15/12/24
Animation
31	10,397	One Piece Log Collection "Punk Hazard"	AVP	16/7/22
Animation
32	10,177	Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin IV	BVS	16/12/9
Animation
33	10,007	B-Project: Kodō Ambitious 1 (Limited Complete Pressing)	ANX	16/8/31
Animation
34	9,777	Tom and Jerry Dodo-nto 32 Supersized Pack Vol. 1	WHV	13/8/21
Animation
35	9,689	Haikyu!! Second Season Vol. 1 DVD	TOH	16/1/20
Animation
36	9,502	One Piece Log Collection "Laboratory"	AVP	16/8/26
Animation
37	9,450	Laputa: Castle in the Sky	WDS	14/7/16
Animation
38	9,428	Madagascar Special Edition	FOX	14/11/21
Animation
39	8,859	One Piece Log Collection "Caesar.Crown"	AVP	16/9/23
Animation
40	8,374	Spirited Away	WDS	14/7/16
Animation
41	8,253	I've Always Liked You (Limited Complete Pressing)	ANX	16/10/26
Animation
42	8,205	B-Project: Kodō Ambitious 2 (Limited Complete Pressing)	ANX	16/9/28
Animation
43	8,041	Madagascar 3 (14.11)	FOX	14/11/21
Animation
44	7,690	The Penguins From Madagascar Penguins, DVD Debut	FOX	15/3/20
Animation
45	7,556	Haikyu!! Second Season Vol. 2 DVD	TOH	16/2/17
Animation
46	7,535	Doukyusei -Classmates- (Complete Limited Pressing)	ANX	16/5/25
Animation
47	7,059	Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages	SGK	15/12/16
Animation
48	7,040	Boruto -Naruto the Movie- (Standard Edition)	ANX	16/7/6
Animation
49	6,969	Doraemon: Nobita no Kyoryu [2006] (Doraemon Movie Super Price Edition)	SGK	16/3/2
Animation
50	6,713	TV Anime Fist of the North Star: Strawberry Flavor	TCE	16/3/25
[/spoiler]
For individual product releases, One Piece took spots #28, #31, #36, and #39 in the top 50 animated DVD releases. Dragon Ball had none.
(Neither franchise got into the top 50 animated Blu-ray chart for 2016).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 015/.97049
[spoiler]

1	328,611	Big Hero 6
2	214,413	Utano☆Princesama Revolutions
3	153,065	Yōkai Watch: Tanjō no Himitsu da Nyan!
4	152,610	Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
5	151,825	Kuroko's Basketball
6	145,007	Sword Art Online II
7	140,152	Frozen
8	130,323	Shirobako
9	129,866	Free! Eternal Summer
10	124,969	Stand By Me Doraemon
11	114,378	Kan Colle
12	108,196	Love Live! 2nd Season
13	103,479	Blood Blockade Battlefront
14	98,149	Haikyu!!
15	96,539	Your Lie in April
16	94,609	The File of Young Kindaichi Returns (Season 2)
17	91,309	JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
18	89,666	The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls
19	89,640	Despicable Me 2
20	86,828	The Last -Naruto the Movie-
21	79,323	Despicable Me Series
22	76,419	Gundam: Reconguista in G
23	76,222	Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
24	73,463	Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
25	72,339	One Piece
26	71,174	Tsukimonogatari
27	70,883	Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road
28	66,752	Soreike! Anpanman
29	66,118	Despicable Me 3D
30	65,787	Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'
[/spoiler]
Even in 2015, where Dragon Ball managed to sneak in at the very bottom of the top 30 series chart thanks to the Resurrection F movie, One Piece still had more total DVD/BD sales.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:22 pm

I was using this as my reference.
Since OP releases DVD sets more oftenly than DB, I compared the weeks when there were DB and OP, but as they both sell the same amount but DB sets are more expensive I assumed it made more money, although OP has more releases and the same people buy the DVD all the time.
Maybe it does make more money than DB there too.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:04 am

Just comparing Super's box set releases to individual One Piece discs that came out around the same time doesn't show the whole picture of sales. The individual One Piece DVDs do alright by long-running anime standards, but the real money makers are the One Piece Log Collection box sets that run a few years behind the TV broadcast (they just recently finished releasing the Log Collections for the Punk Hazard arc, which originally aired in 2013).

They're priced comparably to Super's box sets, typically sell 8000-10000 copies each, and they release 3 of these sets per year.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:04 am

One Piece is definitely more popular than Dragon Ball in Japan but not close worldwide.

Someone mentioned the box office of the movies and that says everything. Film Gold made significantly more money than Resurrection F in Japan and China (not a fair comparison in China though).

However outside of those two countries Film Gold made chump change, just $2-3 million. Resurrection F on the other hand made $32-33 million.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:26 am

Those Blu-rays sales must be from Japan, because Dragon Ball Z regularly stays in the top 8- 20 for anime Blu-ray sales on Amazon ever since I've been checking for the past couple months. While One Piece barely even breaks the top 20, the only time it has was when a new DVD collection released.

Edit:Well those sales are from Japan, missed it lol.