Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Bigivel wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Bigivel wrote:Just a simple note:

Super Sentai and Kamen Rider are considered animation/anime in Japan, or at least for the people that gather the TV ratings.

And:

Super Sentai and Kamen Rider aren't Toei Animation propreties, but Toei Company. Toei Animation is the "son" of Toei Company, but in pretty much any way its run, even financially, is independent. Meaning that normally it doesn't receive any money from Toei Company and Toei Company doesn't receive any money from Toei Animation(other than as entity with public assets in the company, something that any person that buys Toei Animation receives).

Nobody talking about Time Bokan 24 season 2 vs My Hero Academia?
Is it something interesting?
Something interesting? Tima Bokan 24 season 2 is the substitute to My Hero Academia show. If we don't count the first episode recap of My Hero Academia(that didn't even was able to reach the Top 10) the first rated episode of MHA season 2 started with a 3.0 in TV rating. Right before MHA what was airing was Time Bokan 24 season 1 and that did significantly better than MHA season 2, Supposedly MHA was still doing pretty well for the timeslot(even though is the worst rated show of the timeslot except Denpa Kyoshi) is because the tendency is for declining TV ratings. Well, First episode of Time Bokan did better than all MHA episodes with the exception of its best episode that was able to achieve 4.5.
It will be interesting to see how Time Bokan 24 season 2 does, and after that MHA 3. We will be able to get an insight if is declining TV rates or really different viewership for the two shows.
I thought that was the case and I’m not surprise. MHA is far more popular in the west than Japan. Although, it’s still fairly popular in Japan since it did teach the top ten.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:58 pm

I don't know why ratings are so down for every show. Shows like Pokemon only getting ratings in the 3.0's is abysmal. Just back a few years ago pokemon regularly had ratings in the 6's and above. Go back to the early 2000's and Pokemon did 8's and 9's.

It's ridiculous.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:09 pm

precita wrote:I don't know why ratings are so down for every show. Shows like Pokemon only getting ratings in the 3.0's is abysmal. Just back a few years ago pokemon regularly had ratings in the 6's and above. Go back to the early 2000's and Pokemon did 8's and 9's.

It's ridiculous.

This is happening to TV ratings all over the world . It's not just Japan. People no longer need to watch a show as soon as it is on. There are so many other things to do. It's just a different world even compared to what it was less than a decade ago.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Kinokima wrote:
precita wrote:I don't know why ratings are so down for every show. Shows like Pokemon only getting ratings in the 3.0's is abysmal. Just back a few years ago pokemon regularly had ratings in the 6's and above. Go back to the early 2000's and Pokemon did 8's and 9's.

It's ridiculous.

This is happening to TV ratings all over the world . It's not just Japan. People no longer need to watch a show as soon as it is on. There are so many other things to do. It's just a different world even compared to what it was less than a decade ago.
TV is dying. Plain and simple. Online streaming of shows is the future.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm

People not watching TV so much anymore still seems like a weird reasoning for the ratings though.

Dragon Ball Supers rating shot up last year with the Future Trunks saga and it did better ratings than the year before.

Only in the past few months or when the Tournament actually started did the ratings just take a significant and sudden decline. The same happened with One Piece too so it's not that people don't care for the Tournament.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Bullza wrote:People not watching TV so much anymore still seems like a weird reasoning for the ratings though.

Dragon Ball Supers rating shot up last year with the Future Trunks saga and it did better ratings than the year before.

Only in the past few months or when the Tournament actually started did the ratings just take a significant and sudden decline. The same happened with One Piece too so it's not that people don't care for the Tournament.

Well we know about the Sentai shows now competeing with Super and One Piece but that is more recent.

Maybe there are other external factors at work that we are missing.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:18 am

KidGoku>3 wrote:Kinda sick of seeing the same type of extreme replies every time Super gets a meh rating which is practically every week. Oh it's getting cancelled etc. I remember reading this here even 2 years ago lol. Yet 2 years later and here we are. And to the guy saying it's because of Jiren or whatever other character. That's not how ratings work. You can't predict the episode without watching it. It'll only affect the next few episodes. If anything the previous episodes would've contributed to this rating more than the current episode. And if you look carefully you'll see that DBS isn't the only one suffering from mismanagement. The one guy saying DB was always doing well with merchandise...have you any idea how much merchandise has risen with the emergence of DBS ? It's NOT getting canceled smdh.

I'm glad you're not the one in charge. Then Super would for sure be cancelled with those bad ideas.

Dragon Ball’s Son Goku is the number one hero for both Showa and Heisei eras. This speaks to the generation bridging popularity of Dragon Ball.
Even after decades. If anything he's the glue holding it all together.
The Jiren thing is just a meme about his insanely high power level...

+1 on Super not being about the fodder, wimpy, boring next generation, at least completely.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:TV is dying. Plain and simple. Online streaming of shows is the future.
I agree. Television will always be around, but as to how significant it will be depends on just how much it evolves.

Netflix is forever growing as a platform - last I checked, it was in more UK homes than Sky and Amazon Prime.
Toei's reluctance to allow their dubbed shows to stream is harming their ability to grow.
Streaming is the way forward - the ability to watch your favourite shows on demand, whenever you want is a significant plus.

If Toei want Super to go to a new audience, then streaming is the place for it to go.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:27 pm

I imagine Super will be re-tooled significantly after the tournament of power arc ends. Whether we move ahead to EOZ with Trunks/Goten, Pan and Uub as new major characters, or something else, I don't expect them to continue Super on its current path when the ratings for this arc are the lowest of the entire series.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:37 pm

precita wrote:I imagine Super will be re-tooled significantly after the tournament of power arc ends. Whether we move ahead to EOZ with Trunks/Goten, Pan and Uub as new major characters, or something else, I don't expect them to continue Super on its current path when the ratings for this arc are the lowest of the entire series.
The next story arc is already planned and being finalize by now. They don’t make story arcs based on the ratings, especially when most don’t give a damn about the characters you named.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Trunks and Goten are very popular characters, and Trunks will be back in his adult design again which is popular. Pan and Uub have also never been given a chance under Toriyama or "canon" writing, people didn't like their GT personalities or handling but that would not be the same in Super.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:05 pm

precita wrote:Trunks and Goten are very popular characters, and Trunks will be back in his adult design again which is popular. Pan and Uub have also never been given a chance under Toriyama or "canon" writing, people didn't like their GT personalities or handling but that would not be the same in Super.
Gohan is popular too, but few felt he was main character material, even Toriyama.

The ratings of Super are not going to ‘spike’ for these characters no more Baruto.
Kanassa wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Bullza wrote:People not watching TV so much anymore still seems like a weird reasoning for the ratings though.

That is pretty much the central reason. I mean, around this stage just seven years ago, look at how well Kai, One Piece, Sazae-san and other major TV shows were doing at this stage. It's a far cry compared to now. There are just less and less people watching TV nowadays. It's not just a case of the quality of the shows or what kind of special character will appear on a certain episode. There are just more convenient ways of watching you favourite shows nowadays than there were 7-8 years ago. You don't just have to sit in front of your TV at a certain time. Technology has evolved with online streaming and TV is suffering big time because of it.

The Future Trunks arc popped a big rating, Super's largest so far. But right after the episode which attained that rating (Episode 47), the ratings cooled right back down the average of 5.0 to 7.0.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:

That is pretty much the central reason. I mean, around this stage just seven years ago, look at how well Kai, One Piece, Sazae-san and other major TV shows were doing at this stage. It's a far cry compared to now. There are just less and less people watching TV nowadays. It's not just a case of the quality of the shows or what kind of special character will appear on a certain episode. There are just more convenient ways of watching you favourite shows nowadays than there were 7-8 years ago. You don't just have to sit in front of your TV at a certain time. Technology has evolved with online streaming and TV is suffering big time because of it.

The Future Trunks arc popped a big rating, Super's largest so far. But right after the episode which attained that rating (Episode 47), the ratings cooled right back down the average of 5.0 to 7.0.

Do Super's DVR recordings get posted anywhere? I think that would definitely be an interesting thing to look at and a better way to gauge popularity in Japan than ratings.

When One Piece ratings are falling too I am not really all that worried about Super!

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:04 pm

It's ridiculous.
Not only TV is dying, the rate is accelerating with every passing year. I for example haven't watched a single TV show in 4 years. Everything I desire is available online, far more than TV could ever offer to me. It's the same scene worldwide. TV ratings won't matter at all in 5 years.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/cord-c ... 202556594/

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/24/televis ... oid-mobile
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:03 am

The Super special got a 7.6 in the Hokkaido region.
https://twitter.com/GovetaXV/status/919426121313140736

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:10 am

ArchedThunder wrote:The Super special got a 7.6 in the Hokkaido region.
Huh? You mean these ratings every week aren't a national figure?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:34 am

Bullza wrote:
No, the ones that get posted here are just the Kanto region.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:47 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Bullza wrote:
No, the ones that get posted here are just the Kanto region.
Are those ratings in Hokkaido good or bad compared to previous ratings? If they're the same as any other episode or even better then you'd have to say the reason was because of something that happened in Kanto.

But seeing as it happened with One Piece too then probably not.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:09 am

Bullza wrote: Are those ratings in Hokkaido good or bad compared to previous ratings? If they're the same as any other episode or even better then you'd have to say the reason was because of something that happened in Kanto.
For comparison, in Hokkaido region One Piece Special got 5.7 % so right now it stands like this:

Kanto region (from where we usually get the ratings):

DBS Special - 3.5%
OP Special - 4.7%

Hokkaido region:

DBS Special - 7.6%
OP Special - 5.7%
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.