Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:18 pm

precita wrote:This is getting off-topic, but the Sun/Moon anime is so fundamentally different than all past Pokemon sagas there's no point to compare it. It's literally the first saga that broke the formula of Ash doing 8 Gyms and having regular travel companions.
So was the original Sun & Moon games, but changing the formula doesn't make better than the past arcs/games either.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Noah wrote:
precita wrote:This is getting off-topic, but the Sun/Moon anime is so fundamentally different than all past Pokemon sagas there's no point to compare it. It's literally the first saga that broke the formula of Ash doing 8 Gyms and having regular travel companions.
So was the original Sun & Moon games, but changing the formula doesn't make better than the past arcs/games either.
Sun and Moon easily are much better games than the previous games especially coming off of the godawful Generation that was 6. None of this easy gym badge shit, example a water bubble ability totem Araquanid with boosted speed max IVs and EVs IN THE RAIN holding a friggin Wacan Berry and able to call an ally Pokemon is stuff of nightmares to put that into perspective a simple bubble attack from Araquanid will do 180 bp!!!, plus S&M had an actual story, the region actually feels like a different region with different culture etc seriously what were the odd every region had the same customs before?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:41 pm

I think we should get back on topic, this isn't a Pokemon forum. :lol:

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Question: the ratings dip for the special was explained by the change in scheduling, but in the subsequent weeks they've gone back to their average since the ToP began with, as far as I know, no further change in scheduling. Is that right? If so, why is that? Have the ratings for the competing shows recovered? I don't know where a handy list of their historical ratings can be found(thanks, Bullza) to compare.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 pm

http://www.videor.co.jp/tvrating/index.html
At least they defeated Pokemon this time, although the ratings continues to decrease.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 pm

6th place isn't bad though. I'd take it over 7th or 9th.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Pokemon is actually serious competition for Super now. Last week it beat it, and this week it's close.

Super used to be in the 5.0's or above, now it's down to the 4.0's where Pokemon and other shows usually are.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm still curious what's going on with Time Bokan. Anyone watch that show?

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:37 am

With the announcement of the new Captain Tsubasa, I'm curious to see whether Monster Hunter will keep being DBS' lead in starting next April. I mean, can David production endure two (potential) long running productions at the same time?

We know it won't be a direct replacement, though, as Tsubasa is going to Tv Tokyo this time.

Chuquita wrote:6th place isn't bad though. I'd take it over 7th or 9th.
It was actually 5th, as it was tied with Time Bokan. The ranking just uses an airing order when there's a tie.
Simere wrote:Question: the ratings dip for the special was explained by the change in scheduling, but in the subsequent weeks they've gone back to their average since the ToP began with, as far as I know, no further change in scheduling. Is that right? If so, why is that? Have the ratings for the competing shows recovered? I don't know where a handy list of their historical ratings can be found(thanks, Bullza) to compare.
The ratings have been a bit lower ever since the Kamen Rider competition started. The special can be explained by a very slow weekend that was followed by a Holiday, not to mention the marketing for the debut of Rider/Sentai on the new timeslot was extensive. The DVR update gave it a huge boost.
Last we heard, Rider/Sentai haven't recovered after the change. Kamen Rider was having trouble to go beyond a 2.*, when in recent years they averaged around 5.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Looks like DBS is having trouble in reach 5.0% lately.
Maybe they should bring back Caulifla and Kale, because all their episodes since their debut could reach that number easily... :eh:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Nah, I can see these ratings doubling up by the time the arcs reachs its climax
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Yeah, I don't expect ratings to go back up till Jiren is the main attraction.

Ratings for the two Universe 3 episodes probably won't be much different than now, or the eps for when Toppo/Dyspo eventually go down. Probably won't see a spike till Goku Vs. Jiren happens again.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:33 am

precita wrote:Yeah, I don't expect ratings to go back up till Jiren is the main attraction.

Ratings for the two Universe 3 episodes probably won't be much different than now, or the eps for when Toppo/Dyspo eventually go down. Probably won't see a spike till Goku Vs. Jiren happens again.
They will spike for U11 v U7 not just Jiren. Plus, I think people will come watch if it was someone unexpected who won and got the wish. A good idea would be to let Freeza win, make people come back to found out what is going to happen. That is the perfect way to catch a large audience.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:33 am

majinwarman wrote:
precita wrote:Yeah, I don't expect ratings to go back up till Jiren is the main attraction.

They will spike for U11 v U7 not just Jiren. Plus, I think people will come watch if it was someone unexpected who won and got the wish. A good idea would be to let Freeza win, make people come back to found out what is going to happen. That is the perfect way to catch a large audience.
And to anger the fans that want Freeza gone.

BlacXero

Post by BlacXero » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:52 am

also we shouldn't forget that the episode is aired at 9am, and its hard to get up with this cold weather :roll: :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 am

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but do you live in Japan to know its cold there?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 am

Since it airs Sunday morning in Japan, if they're anything like the rest of the world, they prefer to sleep in on their weekend and not get up so early.

If Super aired here at 9am on Sundays I sure as hell wouldn't watch it live either, I'd still be sleeping and catch it online later.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:31 am

I'd be dvr'ng it too instead of watching live if it were 9:00am on Sunday. I've never been a morning person.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Totamo wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

And to anger the fans that want Freeza gone.
You can't win them all. Only you do what you think is the best move.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

BlacXero

Post by BlacXero » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:14 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but do you live in Japan to know its cold there?
I don't live in Japan, but if you have the minimum Geography, you will immediately know that Japan would be cold in winter season :think: