Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:10 am

Not that great of an increase. Hopefully the return of Android 17 can entice more viewers.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:42 am

Looks like there were people interested in seeing Fit Buu and the Pride Troopers(those were the hooks for last weeks episode)

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:40 am

Ratings for April 10 - April 16 (episode #86 of Super):
  1. Sazae-san (11.5%)
  2. Crayon Shin-cha (8.5%)
  3. Doraemon (7.9%)
  4. Chibi Maruko-chan (7.1%)
  5. Detective Conan (6.4%)
  6. One Piece (5.9%)
  7. Dragon Ball Super (5.0%)
  8. My Hero Academia (3.9%)
  9. Curious George (3.7%)
  10. Pokémon - Sun and Moon (3.6%)
This is the lowest rating in the arc so far, and the lowest since episode #60. Given that this episode is the return of an old character and the hype they put for this episode, this is really much lower than I expected.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:50 am

It was expected, 17 was never really a fan favorite, a lot of people were probably shaking their heads with the thought of why 17 instantly popped out of nowhere let alone fighting with a SSJB :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 am

It was such a beautifully directed and animated episode, but I guess that couldn't overcome the fact that, while 17 is a liked character, he's not a lot of people's favorite character.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:23 am

Seems like a lot of people feel the same way I did..
Never saw super so low
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 am

Well One Piece was lower than usual too, so that most of the times means that Super gets a decrease as well. I'm still very surprised that Super rarely gets very high tv ratings given the amount of merchandise it sells in Japan.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 am

No surprise here as 17 is not that popular.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 am

Again people are not looking at the wider picture and jumping again, everything seems down, One Piece was close to the 8's last week now just below 6, that tanked harder than Super, in other words these ratings aren't meant to be analysed to the point saying X character isn't popular that's just silly.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:52 am

Super's drop in comparison to One Piece was rather small.
Ki Breaker wrote:Seems like a lot of people feel the same way I did..
Never saw super so low
Super's been lower and everything else had pretty big drops, this had nothing to do with Super. Also how do you suggest that this episode caused a drop? If that were the case the drop would be next week.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Again people are not looking at the wider picture and jumping again, everything seems down, One Piece was close to the 8's last week now just below 6, that tanked harder than Super, in other words these ratings aren't meant to be analysed to the point saying X character isn't popular that's just silly.
People STILL haven't learned that the percentages don't matter as much as the rankings.

I don't understand how people can clearly see that all the shows dropped, and then still blame it on what super aired.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:22 am

Rarely has the quality of an episode impacted the ratings live, in positive or negative ways.

It's kinda random in japan. Plus nobody had seen the episode beforehand, so if you really want to believe that, it's the fault of the previous week's.

The Blue vs 17 part happened near the end, so don't try pushing the narrative that japanese kids rage quit the show because of that lmao.

They did have a lot of marketing push for it though, so it's always disappointing, but One Piece being so low (5.9) and DBS rather close (5.0) means it probably wasn't a good day for Toei overall, for whichever reason.

Like if it was a slow sunday, that's all it was. Those are all animes of the week at any point. They're not directly competing.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:27 am

I agree that 17 was never that popular among the japanese fans, I wouldnt be surprised if this leads to 17 jobbing to Jiren later, but again didnt the Gohan/Trunks episode also had a 5.0 rating?

As for One Piece, well the episode had Luffy being poisoned after eating fish, so the japanese fans probably found it dumb as hell, i dont think it was because of Germa 66 introduction because Reiju was starting to get popular in Japan.

BNHA academia is starting to get close to DBS and OP.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:16 am

People in this thread are being dumb as hell ! the future Trunks arc had quite a few drops waaay worse than this ! so i don't see what popularity has to do with this especially that freaking One Piece dropped so low this week,this is very irrelevant and it won't effect 17's presence or his role in the arc.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:22 pm

kinisking wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Again people are not looking at the wider picture and jumping again, everything seems down, One Piece was close to the 8's last week now just below 6, that tanked harder than Super, in other words these ratings aren't meant to be analysed to the point saying X character isn't popular that's just silly.
People STILL haven't learned that the percentages don't matter as much as the rankings.

I don't understand how people can clearly see that all the shows dropped, and then still blame it on what super aired.
Both of your comments are very smart and well put guys ! 10000 thumps up for both of you.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:56 pm

kinisking wrote:

Exactly, Super historically has little fluctuation based on what's actually currently running. Both it's strength as its weakness is that it has essentially held the same exact spot for as long as its been running and neither gaining nor losing large portions of its fanbase. IF anyone wants to worry about something it should be Hero Academia continuing to rise from not trending at all to the show right below Super. It's got a ways to go before catching up to Super but its trending up and tracking in the top ten.

Something like One Piece is much more susceptible to changes in the base because it probably draws more casual fans who only tune in for the "good" parts.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:45 pm

TheMikado wrote:
kinisking wrote:

Exactly, Super historically has little fluctuation based on what's actually currently running. Both it's strength as its weakness is that it has essentially held the same exact spot for as long as its been running and neither gaining nor losing large portions of its fanbase. IF anyone wants to worry about something it should be Hero Academia continuing to rise from not trending at all to the show right below Super. It's got a ways to go before catching up to Super but its trending up and tracking in the top ten.

Something like One Piece is much more susceptible to changes in the base because it probably draws more casual fans who only tune in for the "good" parts.
My hero academy is really good, if deserves it. I'm genuinely surprised by the ride though. I never expected it to get this big. Crazy to think it's doing something Shippuden couldnt.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:37 pm

LOL, Boruto (the Naruto spinoff) didn't make the top 10 either.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Again people are not looking at the wider picture and jumping again, everything seems down, One Piece was close to the 8's last week now just below 6, that tanked harder than Super, in other words these ratings aren't meant to be analysed to the point saying X character isn't popular that's just silly.
Exactly, I don't know why these ratings even garner much of a reaction anymore. They all fall within an expected range the vast majority of the time.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Bullza wrote:
Exactly, I don't know why these ratings even garner much of a reaction anymore. They all fall within an expected range the vast majority of the time.
say that to the people above bashing 17 basically saying he's the reason for this rating.