Fact Checker (update: Ep.51)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Fact Checker (update: Ep.51)

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:14 pm

Your one-stop shop for any “fansubs say X! Is that really what’s said?”-type questions relating to DB Super. I have a feeling this will end up mostly centering around strength stuff, but I want to keep things open enough to include any quotes that have been seriously mistranslated or I just find personally interesting. If there are any lines you’re curious about, ask away.

For the first five or so episodes I mostly just used Agon-dray Eam-tay's translations (with a few modifications), but these days I typically watch the initial broadcast and then use the Japanese subtitles from Itsunekko-kay to double-check anything. To note when in the episode a line is said, I’m just noting minutes rather than specific seconds (I’m lazy!), and including the opening theme.

[Future Trunks arc]
[God of Destruction Champa arc]
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Herms

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.20)

[Resurrection "F" arc]

Herms

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.29)

[Battle of Gods arc]

Herms

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.46)

New blank post for Herms.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Fact Checker

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:24 pm

Nice job, Herms. Now it's time for the other sites to copy/paste this stuff without citing it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:41 pm

This thread will be interesting.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:53 pm

Super-helpful thread; thank you for making it!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:54 pm

This is great, thanks! Even as just a resource of noteworthy/reference lines, even if they were perfectly translated. This will be useful. :D

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:26 am

AMAZINGLY HELPFUL, I finally understood why Goku backed the HECK out on episode 5.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:32 am

Herms wrote:Minute: 2
Narrator: “And then, six months later…everybody’s memories of Boo were erased by the power of the Dragon Balls. Some time has passed since then.”
Significance: Establishes the timeframe for the series. Some promotional material in Jump has described the series as “half a year” (ie six months) after the battle with Boo, but according to the narration here there’s at least a little bit more time than that.
The whole time frame question was kinda bugging me for a while. But now at least it's the correct six months after the defeat of Buu that everyone's memories were erased and "some time has passed since then" is vague enough that the JSAT special can still fit in two years after Buu and both BoG and Super can still have begun 4 years after Buu, therefore making it all nice and consistent.

Great work as usual, Herms, keep it going!

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:51 am

Nice, appreciate it.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:00 am

This clears up a lot of things, keep up the good job Herms.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:12 am

Goku: “What? Why’d I retreat?”
Beerus: “You really are something. Actually, I was thinking of attacking just now. If you hadn’t moved away, you’d have lost…No doubt about it. You can’t sense the ki of deities. Even so, you dodged. Could you be a fighting prodigy? You might actually still be hiding some power…Like, say…the power of Super Saiyan God?”
What I find most interesting about this line is how it can potentially tie in with Resurrection F. During the film, Whis states that Goku and Vegeta need to learn to act without thinking to become better fighters and admits that such a task is very difficult to achieve. This scene seems to imply that Goku might already have the hidden talent to do that.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:21 am

Gozar wrote:
Goku: “What? Why’d I retreat?”
Beerus: “You really are something. Actually, I was thinking of attacking just now. If you hadn’t moved away, you’d have lost…No doubt about it. You can’t sense the ki of deities. Even so, you dodged. Could you be a fighting prodigy? You might actually still be hiding some power…Like, say…the power of Super Saiyan God?”
What I find most interesting about this line is how it can potentially tie in with Resurrection F. During the film, Whis states that Goku and Vegeta need to learn to act without thinking to become better fighters and admits that such a task is very difficult to achieve. This scene seems to imply that Goku might already have the hidden talent to do that.
That's what I thought when I saw the scene as well.
Herms wrote:Minute: 8
Context: after Goku requests a match with Beerus to see his power
Beerus: “I’ve lived for hundreds of millions of years, but I’ve never heard anyone utter such a unique line.”
Significance: Establishes Beerus’ age as hundreds of millions of years. Ever since Toriyama revealed he was the one who sealed Elder Kaioshin away, we’ve known he presumably must be at least 75 million years old (since that’s the duration of Elder Kaioshin’s imprisonment). Apparently the DB wikia has said Beerus was exactly 75 million years old, but that was never specified in any official source, and is now contradicted by this line.
Get ready for a new addition in their plot-holes page: "Beerus was said to be 75 millions years old, but in Super, he is said to be hundreds of years old. This is a contradiction to what was previously said."
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:40 am

A thread like this is just what was needed. Nice works, Herms. :thumbup:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:30 pm

It's a shame this has to exist, really. If everyone ignored awful speed subs and only used Dragon Team's translations that you're referencing, this would be a tiny list. Thanks for the hard work. It's always fun to read what nonsense people will come up with.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:17 pm

So we can mention Dragon Team by name? Guess i can stop calling it "the accurate fansub". :lol:

Very useful thread, btw.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:31 pm

jrdemr wrote:
Herms wrote:Minute: 2
Narrator: “And then, six months later…everybody’s memories of Boo were erased by the power of the Dragon Balls. Some time has passed since then.”
Significance: Establishes the timeframe for the series. Some promotional material in Jump has described the series as “half a year” (ie six months) after the battle with Boo, but according to the narration here there’s at least a little bit more time than that.
The whole time frame question was kinda bugging me for a while. But now at least it's the correct six months after the defeat of Buu that everyone's memories were erased and "some time has passed since then" is vague enough that the JSAT special can still fit in two years after Buu and both BoG and Super can still have begun 4 years after Buu, therefore making it all nice and consistent.

Great work as usual, Herms, keep it going!
I guess we will truly know in a few episodes (Tarble mention or Pan).

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:36 pm

So it does take place after more than 6 months, interesting... It makes Videl character change less absurd.
And the part where Goku ssj3 backs off by instict is perfect.

Thanks for the hardwork Herms-senpai. :thumbup:
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Thanks a lot for doing this Herms. :) That part about Goku backing off against Beerus interested me when I watched it, so now it's good to know what the reason was behind it. :)