"Toei Goku" in Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Toei Goku" in Super

Post by irreality » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Sure you could say he changed his mind, but then the entire arc does a very poor job of showing how this decision affected him and the story. I mean, that's what the Namek and Saiyan arcs did when they introduced the Saiyan race and made them a big plot point. GT does nothing with this line, it didn't treat it as something that could cause character development (either with Goku or Bebi), or something of the sort. And that's because they didn't write it as Goku changing his mind, they wrote it off as a stance Goku supposedly had all along, when that's just not true.
You are right, watching that scene, it feels super out of character. Goku wouldn't at that point in his life respond to an insult of him being Saiyajin by denying his race (to someone who is possessing the body of another Saiyajin, no less). I can see him either being unfazed by a personal insult or saying something about Saiyans defending the universe for the past 25+ years give or take. Both him having an emotional reaction to an obvious taunt and him denying his race seem weird.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:42 pm

I dont knwo how you guys keep noticing these things cos i dont.

I can easily tell the difference between anime goku and manga,since anime goku was jesus incarnated9well movie goku definitely was jesus incarnated,anime proly less,more like very heroic ).Super isnt like that,he's like his manga self.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:33 pm

buutenks wrote:I don't know how you guys keep noticing these things because I don't.

I can easily tell the difference between anime Goku and manga, since anime Goku was Jesus incarnated (well movie Goku definitely was Jesus incarnated, anime probably less, more like very heroic). Super isnt like that,he's like his manga self.
Super's depiction of Goku isn't exactly his old anime self. Toei is trying harder to capture the character as depicted in recent material as written by Toriyama, but they're still failing a bit. Their main problem is that most of the writers they hire on still tend to exaggerate characters traits, but they are (so far) avoiding the two big character point in Battle of Gods for him: his dislike of Super Saiyan God because of how he had to reach it, as well as trying to avoid destroying stuff by not using Ki blasts (until Beerus remind him their battle is not a game). In Super, Goku has been nothing but excited thus far about his power and basically the second thing he did was fire a Kamehameha that sailed off into the distance and blew something up.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:00 pm

It is a retelling. Goku's behavior isn't exactly out of character. It's disappointing considering Battle of Gods gave us a side of Goku we've never seen before, but still, Super's depiction of the character has been spot-on even so.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:10 pm

Over a decade ago, I remember DBZ fans slamming Goku for being too righteous or "goody-goody"...

He used to be my favourite DB character, don't think that's the case any longer... though still he interests me to an extent. And as air-headed as he acts in DBS (seems that the effects of his childhood brain-damage have become more apparent than ever before - in Z we only see him act dumb to that extent in filler scenes, and I remember using that a lot in defense of Goku's intelligence in question) I doubt very much that he is purely innocent now in the sense that he was in the Namek arcs and before.

The carefree goofy and child-like aspects of him aside - I think that he really acts like your typical full-blooded U7 Saiyan.
Just Saiyan...

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:35 am

I really don't like the way Goku was written this episode, at times, he makes even Luffy seem smart. I actually think Toei is doing this on purpose, because in Dragon Ball filler and in movies 1-13, they always wrote Goku with his laid back and somewhat dim witted personality, but not without common sense. Also, I think it was totally out of character for him to wanting to go back to the future right away, without coming up with a plan first, even though he just got beaten. But I will admit, when he said eating a whole bunch a senzu beans will make him immortal I laughed a little bit.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:40 am

I really didn't mind Goku's antics this episode. The only thing that conflicted with his character was him wanting to go back. Even though he's done that before it was usually just when he's really angry, and he didn't seem very angry here.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:07 pm

I used to look up to goku, actually drawing inspiration from his character..
Carefree, no over thinking, keeps trying smartly in battles to win..

Super goku is your typical dumb protagonist who just happenes to be very powerful, Even a rock has more common sense than him..

I don't hate his character portrayal all the time, but super goku is definitely someone I am not looking up to anymore..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:21 pm

The last post in this topic was a year old. There are plenty of more recent ones to discuss Goku's characterization in Super.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)