Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 74

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:35 am

ArchedThunder wrote:If I remember correctly it was almost entirely shots of Bulma that got corrected in 26.
I don't know how they choose what gets corrected, but I don't think they make the best decisions.
The Bulma stuff was 25. I actually don't remember any corrections in 26. I wonder if it was just small things? Hrmm.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:14 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:And that's it for this set! Episode 50 and 51 are the only one who gets corrections!
Overall, here are the episodes who received corrections:
- Episode 5 (Naoki Tate)
- Episode 7 (Yukihiro Kitano)
- Episode 25 (Masahiro Shimanuki)
- Episode 26 (Naoki Tate)
- Episode 37 (Yuichi Karasawa)
- Episode 38 (Naoki Tate w/ Wanpack)
- Episode 42 (Masahiro Shimanuki)
- Episode 44 (Yuichi Karasawa w/ Wanpack)
- Episode 50 (Yuichi Karasawa)
- Episode 51 (Yukihiro Kitano w/ Wanpack)

(And maybe with this comparison it becomes more apparent that they were six fingers on the TV version of episode 50?)
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Episode #26 recieved corrections? Could you please post some screenshots of the changes.
There's only a shot which get correction in 26.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 pm

I just recently finished watching 2011 Hunter x Hunter Episode #96. The episode had such a strong animation from start to finish. The timing, framing, composition, and fluidity were all present in the episode. The episode director certainly helps too. From what I've observed, the episode probably has about 5 cuts worthy of sakugabooru.

In order for an episode of Dragon Ball Super to have a similar fashion, it needs to have a bunch of ace staff with a very strong episode director and storyboard artist to have any chance of producing a similar quality to that of HxH #96. Of course, the schedule needs to be established in the advance as well.

Super #66 was a good start, but a lot of planning needs to be made in order for an episode to be able to match HxH #96. I hope in the upcoming arc the producers will at least try to assemble the ace staff to produce a very strong episode.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:58 pm

I really loved that they reused Jacos noodle animation also. It really feels like they're putting the bare minimum into these filler episodes! Although next episode looks really well done. Maybe they really are treating that as the beginning of the new arc like someone else said.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Oh, HxH really picked up later. It started off mediocre with alright boards and nothing that I would call great direction. There were a few highlights early on like the Gon and Hisoka fight in episode #35 or #36, I don't exactly remember, but it was mostly a safe production.

The Chimera Ants story arc is where they went all out. The plot was superb, and it got amazing visual support. It was really fantastic. Episode #126 was a highlight.

I worry the Universe Survival arc won't get what it needs, but we'll see what happens. A good Tate episode with all his strengths on display is not entirely impossible. I just hope he isn't rushed.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Oh, HxH really picked up later. It started off mediocre with alright boards and nothing that I would call great direction. There were a few highlights early on like the Gon and Hisoka fight in episode #35 or #36, I don't exactly remember, but it was mostly a safe production.

The Chimera Ants story arc is where they went all out. The plot was superb, and it got amazing visual support. It was really fantastic. Episode #126 was a highlight.

I worry the Universe Survival arc won't get what it needs, but we'll see what happens. A good Tate episode with all his strengths on display is not entirely impossible. I just hope he isn't rushed.
At best, we can predict that Toei has done a good enough job of pre-planning and schedule pacing that we won't see the obvious schedule crash that we saw a glimpse of in some episodes of the FT Arc.
Retired.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:25 am

As I've said a bunch before I'm feeling pretty good about the next arc. Each week we get more and more evidence that these 10 weeks between arcs is serving the purpose of improving the production for the next arc. If episode 77 roles around and Hatano Morio is the only credited series director then I feel like it's all but confirmed.
Again as I've said a lot before I don't think the show will suddenly match Pokemon, but I think the overall quality is going to increase and the average episode is going to be pretty comparable to 54 and we'll get far fewer low quality episodes like 62 and 67, and maybe, just maybe we'll see a few more highs like 57(but with more consistent art) and 66.

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:12 am

ArchedThunder wrote:As I've said a bunch before I'm feeling pretty good about the next arc. Each week we get more and more evidence that these 10 weeks between arcs is serving the purpose of improving the production for the next arc. If episode 77 roles around and Hatano Morio is the only credited series director then I feel like it's all but confirmed.
Again as I've said a lot before I don't think the show will suddenly match Pokemon, but I think the overall quality is going to increase and the average episode is going to be pretty comparable to 54 and we'll get far fewer low quality episodes like 62 and 67, and maybe, just maybe we'll see a few more highs like 57(but with more consistent art) and 66.
Despite this being an animation forum,more often than not ,we end up discussing more about the animator's drawing style instead of the animation. That's because usually there's not much interesting animation to talk about ,so I too hope that in the next arc we get a lot more "sakuga" to enjoy and discuss.
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:22 am

Shreyas_Singh wrote: Despite this being an animation forum,more often than not ,we end up discussing more about the animator's drawing style instead of the animation. That's because usually there's not much interesting animation to talk about ,so I too hope that in the next arc we get a lot more "sakuga" to enjoy and discuss.
Assuming the theory is right I think we'll get sakuga a little more often than the Future Trunks arc, but I think the main improvement we'll see is Super's roughness being polished out. More consistent art and fewer instances of janky animation.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Shreyas_Singh wrote: Despite this being an animation forum,more often than not ,we end up discussing more about the animator's drawing style instead of the animation. That's because usually there's not much interesting animation to talk about ,so I too hope that in the next arc we get a lot more "sakuga" to enjoy and discuss.
Assuming the theory is right I think we'll get sakuga a little more often than the Future Trunks arc, but I think the main improvement we'll see is Super's roughness being polished out. More consistent art and fewer instances of janky animation.

I just hope to never see horrible art like episode 67's first half and horrible animation like episode 24 and 33. I'm also totally ok if a few episodes will be like 64 which had good art but almost no animation.
Hopefully we will reach DBZ levels of art and animation, which wasn't perfect but definitely far better than what we had in Super so far.

By the look of things, the schedule *should* be finally fixed thanks to all this filler. If it really will, next step will be to completely remove those shittyvshiny highlights and then possibly also fix some of the characters design (the newer ones are looking better to be honest, like Black and Zamasu)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:57 pm

emperior wrote: I just hope to never see horrible art like episode 67's first half and horrible animation like episode 24 and 33.
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but after that we already got garbage art with Tate's part in episode 72. So unless they keep him under check, we have to worry about him and Kitano in that departement. Especially Tate. His art in episode 72 is far below anything we got on episode 72 part 1 or any other filler episode lately.

I feel optimistic about the second goal though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: I don't want to beat a dead horse, but after that we already got garbage art with Tate's part in episode 72. So unless they keep him under check, we have to worry about him and Kitano in that departement. Especially Tate. His art in episode 72 is far below anything we got on episode 72 part 1 or any other filler episode lately.

If the production sees an improvement from these 10 weeks then we shouldn't worry about the quality of these episodes when it comes to the new arc as they wouldn't represent it. If the production sees an improvement Tate will hopefully not have to do animation outside of his episodes as much (or hopefully ever) and would hopefully have more time on his episodes.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:47 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
emperior wrote: I just hope to never see horrible art like episode 67's first half and horrible animation like episode 24 and 33.
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but after that we already got garbage art with Tate's part in episode 72. So unless they keep him under check, we have to worry about him and Kitano in that departement. Especially Tate. His art in episode 72 is far below anything we got on episode 72 part 1 or any other filler episode lately.

The art in the second part of 72 is astronomically better than the first half of 67
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Where is Yuya Takahashi?
He got a heavy role on ROF Special, but then he disappeared again. Looking through animators corner he didn't work on anything for months now. I hope he comes back.
ArchedThunder wrote: If the production sees an improvement from these 10 weeks then we shouldn't worry about the quality of these episodes when it comes to the new arc as they wouldn't represent it. If the production sees an improvement Tate will hopefully not have to do animation outside of his episodes as much (or hopefully ever) and would hopefully have more time on his episodes.
With the amount of fillers and a new opening after 70+ episodes, looks like Toei wants Super to turn over a new leaf. FT Trunks arc was an improvement in every department compared to all the previous arcs. Let's hope they keep improving and your guess of Morio going ahead to focus 100% on the new major arc, while Hohei handles these fillers, turns out to be true.
kinisking wrote: The art in the second part of 72 is astronomically better than the first half of 67
It's definitely something a lot of people won't forget so soon.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:

To be honest 72 was miles better than 67's first half. Also I don't consider fillers much, if the last two episodes they drew Gohan as a stick figure I wouldn't give a fuck as long as the canon material is good. These 2 months of filler we had to me feel more like an hiatus even though I enjoyed the fillers
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:35 pm

I just wanted to bring attention to a funny thing I noticed about a certain animator, Tatsuhiro Nagaki.
Starting with Super episode 47 he's regularly done one episode of Super followed by two of One Piece.
I just thought this was kind of amusing.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:40 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I just thought this was kind of amusing.
Why?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:04 am

Noah wrote:
Why?
That's the human brain for you. It has the tendency to find unusual things amusing. Happens with mine as well.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:56 am

Noah wrote:
Why?
Because that animator works in a pattern.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Noah wrote:
Why?
Because that animator works in a pattern.
So it's safe to say he should be working on a Super episode by now?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”