Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 81

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:51 pm

JazzMazz wrote:Just out of curiousity, what were peoples favourite Karasawa scenes which he personally animated. For me, one of my favorite scenes that I felt really demonstrated his effects and timing was his Kamehameha training sequence in episode 44, just really adore the effects here.
[spoiler]Crappy Webm to demonstrate point

[/spoiler]
Goku vs Black in ep 50 or 51 and Goku Kamehameha vs Merged Zamasu, I loved those scenes. Also Black's attack to Goku in 61 that was made by him (pressumed) was also great.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:26 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Just out of curiousity, what were peoples favourite Karasawa scenes which he personally animated. For me, one of my favorite scenes that I felt really demonstrated his effects and timing was his Kamehameha training sequence in episode 44, just really adore the effects here.
[spoiler]Crappy Webm to demonstrate point

[/spoiler]
Goku vs Black in ep 50 or 51 and Goku Kamehameha vs Merged Zamasu, I loved those scenes. Also Black's attack to Goku in 61 that was made by him (pressumed) was also great.
His scene from episode 50 was definitely very solid, really loved the scene where Goku is dodging Black's ki blasts.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Burast

Post by Burast » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:24 am

Ajay wrote:
Burast wrote:where you found HQ episodes? the shots looks great.
CrunchyRoll, Daisuki, and AnimeLab all offer legal 1080p streams of the series.
Thanks for the reply. And changing the topic, ¿what supervisor will you choose for your episode 4 of DBS animation supervisors?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:23 pm

I wonder if we'll see new talented animators popping in the series by the time this arc reach its apex.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Burast wrote:Thanks for the reply. And changing the topic, ¿what supervisor will you choose for your episode 4 of DBS animation supervisors?
Probably Takeo Ide. He has such a rich history with the franchise. It's interesting to document his style evolutions or lack thereof.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Noah wrote:I wonder if we'll see new talented animators popping in the series by the time this arc reach its apex.
It depends on whether Nagamine has any connections willing to work with Yamamuro's designs.

It's tragic how the bad character designer for a popular series keeps away good talent.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote: It's tragic how the bad character designer for a popular series keeps away good talent.
How so?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Are there any DBZ animators anyone would like to see make a return in Super? I would love if Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Sato, and Hisachi Eguchi make a return.

Likewise is anyone hoping to see any new talent touch Dragon Ball? I'm looking to see some freelance animators like Yoshimichi Kameda and Hisashi Mori (it could happen) and in-house animators like Yoshikazu Tomita.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:01 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Are there any DBZ animators anyone would like to see make a return in Super? I would love if Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Sato, and Hisachi Eguchi make a return.

Likewise is anyone hoping to see any new talent touch Dragon Ball? I'm looking to see some freelance animators like Yoshimichi Kameda and Hisashi Mori (it could happen) and in-house animators like Yoshikazu Tomita.
Nakatsuru was there in episode 1 of Super. I'd definitely like to see him return. Eguchi is never coming back after his spat with Yamamuro, and Sato said in an interview that he doesn't want to work on the series, either. He said it's not the Dragon Ball he once knew.

We actually had Hisashi Mori work on Super back in #16. He didn't do anything that stood out as him, but it was cool to see, at least!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Kameda ain't working with Yamamuro designs.:lol: Neither are Satou and Eguchi after what happened in F. Besides, Kameda has better things to do and there's no line of connection that might get him. I don't see it happening ever.

I would be satisfied if we just got our Toei aces on occasion and they're given time to produce something good. Hayashi and Watanabe specifically, but even that doesn't happen.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Ajay wrote:
Nakatsuru was there in episode 1 of Super. I'd definitely like to see him return. Eguchi is never coming back after his spat with Yamamuro, and Sato said in an interview that he doesn't want to work on the series, either. He said it's not the Dragon Ball he once knew.

We actually had Hisashi Mori work on Super back in #16. He didn't do anything that stood out as him, but it was cool to see, at least!
What happen with Eguchi?
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Kameda ain't working with Yamamuro designs.:lol: Neither are Satou and Eguchi after what happened in F. Besides, Kameda has better things to do and there's no line of connection that might get him. I don't see it happening ever.
I could see it, he made a comment about Dragon Ball artsyle which show's he a least has some interest in the show. He hasn't outright said it, but he wouldn't make a critique about the artsyle if he didn't have any interest in Dragon Ball. Additionally, Dragon Ball is a huge franchise who wouldn't want to work on it, the reason he isn't working on Super is probably because of the schedule.
I would be satisfied if we just got our Toei aces on occasion and they're given time to produce something good. Hayashi and Watanabe specifically, but even that doesn't happen.
I would like that too, we could possibly see a glimpse of them in this arc.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Ajay wrote:...and Sato said in an interview that he doesn't want to work on the series, either. He said it's not the Dragon Ball he once knew.
What he meant by that?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
JulieYBM wrote: It's tragic how the bad character designer for a popular series keeps away good talent.
How so?
Good animators can pick what projects they want to work on. Good designs and staff attract them.
She/Her
bisexual milf

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
How so?
Good animators can pick what projects they want to work on. Good designs and staff attract them.
I was asking about Yamamuro, what's so unappealing about him?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Noah wrote:
Ajay wrote:...and Sato said in an interview that he doesn't want to work on the series, either. He said it's not the Dragon Ball he once knew.
What he meant by that?
It could mean a lot of things. He probably just meant the animation style considering he's an animator, but if iirc he also didn't like that Goku and Vegeta were the only ones relevant.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:35 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote: How so?
I was asking about Yamamuro, what's so unappealing about him?
Ajay sums it up perfectly.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:50 am

Noah wrote:I wonder if we'll see new talented animators popping in the series by the time this arc reach its apex.
Time will tell tbh. But as others pointed out, Yamamuro's designs are a real hindrance. His habit of overcorrecting other animators hasn't helped either.

But apart from his designs, he hasn't directly worked on the series in a really long time. He did Supervise the new OP but apart from the initial Vegeta and Goku shots, the rest of it really lacks his usual overcorrections. We even thought that he was doing some original designs to help out Toriyama, but it was Toyotaro instead. There's still a possibility that he might do a few, but I really doubt it.

In his absence Tsuji (primarily) and Ide have been handling the show. At the least they allow the animators to have their own traits. Tate's 72 is a good example of that. In an episode with some many corrections, Tsuji didn't even overcorrect Tate's raw work. I couldn't imagine such a case under Yamamuro. Manabe's angular faces and even Tate's 79 are a good example of that. Shida's 2 episodes also had his own designs, unlike his work in the BoG movie (which was overcorrected by Yamamuro).

I am really glad that Yamamuro has been AWOL. But the series still has his designs. I really wonder whether this might help sway some animators though ?
Last edited by dhaval_dongre on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:54 am

I don't think the designs are as much of a deterrent as the production itself is. Yamamuro doesn't work on any episodes directly anymore and it's clear that the people in charge are totally fine with the animators and supervisors not following the character designs. I hope that the production is in a state that we'll see some surprise faces for the tournament proper.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:02 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I hope that the production is in a state that we'll see some surprise faces for the tournament proper.
Ya, hope so.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:32 am

The character designer is still important. Not simply because of their reputation, but because of their ability to create character designs and expressions that inspire other animators to want to work on the series and create their own drawings. Yamamuro also just so happens to be known specifically for not having the creative environment that animators want to work in.
She/Her
bisexual milf