Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 86

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Avok wrote:He's quite good, but there's something I don't like about the way the characters move in his cuts. It could be the designs and the fact that he needs to pump out rough work to be able to mantain his fast pace.
His smoke is excellent, though.
??? This is the first I've seen somebody complain about how characters move in his cuts.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:03 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Avok wrote:He's quite good, but there's something I don't like about the way the characters move in his cuts. It could be the designs and the fact that he needs to pump out rough work to be able to mantain his fast pace.
??? This is the first I've seen somebody complain about how characters move in his cuts.
Take this for example: https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/30066
Up 'till 0:15 the way Goku and Gohan move is rather clunky.

Here too:
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/32141

When Goku is jumping and spinning you can see certain stiffness in the movements.

I'm not taking jabs at him or anything. I clearly know the conditions he's working in, so it's expected. For the average Super episode they are pretty good.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Avok wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:

Here too:

When Goku is jumping and spinning you can see certain stiffness in the movements.

I'm not taking jabs at him or anything. I clearly know the conditions he's working in, so it's expected. For the average Super episode they are pretty good.
You're being too harsh tbh. Can't see too much of the stiffness you talk about. Besides, that stiffness in the movements of the second cut you mention may be because of Yashima's corrections (not really sure)

Another example is like the cut he did with Goku vs. Bergamo that Shimanuki corrected and resulted into stiff movements, but it wasn't certainly Higashide's fault.

I mean the cuts are not perfect and there could be some things too nitpíck about, but as you mention Super's schedule is messed up, and he's done lots of work really fast. There is nothing more than to admire this guy.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 pm

Avok wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:

Here too:

I think that the stiffness more comes down to his work being corrected as these scenes were obviously roughs before-hand. Sometimes he gets people that are good at correcting these roughs like Tsuji but most of the time we get people who add a slight stiffness to his movements like Yashima or Shimanuki as well as 2nd KA's in the case of that first scene.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 am

So I was looking at some character sheets from Future Trunks arc, and it seems like Yamamuro didn't change Toriyama's designs at all, including shading, for Black and Trunks - and probably Zamasu and the other characters introduced in that arc had the same treatment.
(I also think all the characters who were introduced in Super got the same treatment but I'm not sure about it)
This was a huge improvement in my opinion, and those characters looked consistently good, though I don't know if that was because of the designs or because them being new characters meant animators spent more time when drawing them to ensure they always looked good.

My question is: do you think that if Toriyama were to handle the anime staff new designs for all characters, in which case Yamamuro would have to adapt them (or if Yamamuro decides to update the older designs to fit with the new ones) would this improve the overall look of the serie?
For example, Goku's gi would be less red-ish (as his RoF gi) and there would be other changes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:56 am

emperior wrote:So I was looking at some character sheets from Future Trunks arc, and it seems like Yamamuro didn't change Toriyama's designs at all, including shading, for Black and Trunks - and probably Zamasu and the other characters introduced in that arc had the same treatment.
(I also think all the characters who were introduced in Super got the same treatment but I'm not sure about it)
This was a huge improvement in my opinion, and those characters looked consistently good, though I don't know if that was because of the designs or because them being new characters meant animators spent more time when drawing them to ensure they always looked good.

My question is: do you think that if Toriyama were to handle the anime staff new designs for all characters, in which case Yamamuro would have to adapt them (or if Yamamuro decides to update the older designs to fit with the new ones) would this improve the overall look of the serie?
For example, Goku's gi would be less red-ish (as his RoF gi) and there would be other changes.

Well, if you look at Black Goku, his designs are simple and all original from Toriyama. Look at him, he's always looking good all throughout the series, especially episode 60. But, Ajay also uploaded that Black's close-up design was from the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans Remake movie. So the original Toriyama designs doesn't have highlights, while the designs from Plan to Eradicate Saiyans are full of highlights. Which is why sometimes black does have highlight, and sometimes don't.
That's my thought though.

Well, that's probably why Black is always drawn better than Goku like 75% of the time. He is easier to draw.

P.S: Well, the designs looked like it was from BoG movie, but it looks more like the Plan to Eradicate Saiyans designs.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:39 pm

It's possible that they are dragging to start the tournament to give the animators time for big battles?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:01 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:It's possible that they are dragging to start the tournament to give the animators time for big battles?
While I am sure that will happen, it is most likely they are just trying to promote the new characters for Bandai as long as possible.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:It's possible that they are dragging to start the tournament to give the animators time for big battles?
While I am sure that will happen, it is most likely they are just trying to promote the new characters for Bandai as long as possible.
I don't think it's for Bandai, the only new character that has shown up in anything outside of the show is Jiren. Heroes has had plenty of time to do something with the dangerous trio but hasn't.
I think the arc is stretched out entirely for production purposes.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:04 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
I don't think it's for Bandai, the only new character that has shown up in anything outside of the show is Jiren. Heroes has had plenty of time to do something with the dangerous trio but hasn't.
I think the arc is stretched out entirely for production purposes.
I also think the arc is being streched out in order to give more time to the animators for the tournament.
It's also been exactly 20 episodes since the end of Future Trunks arc and of this 20 episodes there haven't been many action-packed and many have been outsourced, so I am feeling quite optimist for the tournament.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

emperior wrote: I also think the arc is being streched out in order to give more time to the animators for the tournament.
It's also been exactly 20 episodes since the end of Future Trunks arc and of this 20 episodes there haven't been many action-packed and many have been outsourced, so I am feeling quite optimist for the tournament.
We got 4 action packed episodes back to back not too long ago, though each one used outsourcing very heavily, with the last one being entirely outsourced outside of corrections.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:07 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Or they are just trying to delay the inevitable: having to animate 80 warriors fight each other in the arena. I hope I am wrong though. :P
Even if the production was incredible there is no way they'd animate 80 fighters. They'll do some trickery with still frames, camera angles and maybe some CG to give the feeling that there is a ton of fights going on while not actually having a ton of fights going on.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:40 am

You know what? Having this anxiety sucks, we all are hoping for the Tournament to be good. Don't disappoint us TOEI!

Still though... If only it had good schedule, they would've executed the storyline much much better for the series (A plus if the manga is way ahead of the anime).

I'm just upset. If West people had taken over the industry, Dragon Ball Z would look like Kyoto Animation + Madhouse.

How do they fix this? This is a permanent damage to the franchise. What do you guys think TOEI should actually do before starting the series?
Sorry to bring this up again, but just why with the coincidence and the bad luck for the love of God?! :wtf:
It's as if all of the planets in the Solar System are alligned.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:38 am

Since it basically became the "Animation Staff Discussion Thread", i asked Yoshitaka Toshio on twitter when he'll be back, and he said he's doing the episode which will air in 3 weeks... So episode 90!

Source: https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/857193933310271488

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Gashif Aldi wrote:
I'm just upset. If West people had taken over the industry, Dragon Ball Z would look like Kyoto Animation + Madhouse.

How do they fix this? This is a permanent damage to the franchise. What do you guys think TOEI should actually do before starting the series?
Sorry to bring this up again, but just why with the coincidence and the bad luck for the love of God?! :wtf:
It's as if all of the planets in the Solar System are alligned.
If the west was running the franchise we'd have no good animation, let alone something on the level of Kyouto Animation works.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Psykomatik wrote:Since it basically became the "Animation Staff Discussion Thread", i asked Yoshitaka Toshio on twitter when he'll be back, and he said he's doing the episode which will air in 3 weeks... So episode 90!

Is he the guy who's been scripting most of this arc's episodes?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:45 pm

emperior wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:Since it basically became the "Animation Staff Discussion Thread", i asked Yoshitaka Toshio on twitter when he'll be back, and he said he's doing the episode which will air in 3 weeks... So episode 90!

Nah, he just did 82, 86 and 87!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Psykomatik wrote:
emperior wrote:

Episode 90 is probably gonna be his last for the arc, his average seems to be 3-4 episodes an arc.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:20 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:
emperior wrote:
Episode 90 is probably gonna be his last for the arc, his average seems to be 3-4 episodes an arc.
I'm pretty sure it's proportionnal, like, the main guy is doing 60 %, and the others are doing 40%.
The Future Trunks arc worked like that: 11 by Atsuhiro Tomioka, 3 by King Ryu, 3 by Fukushima and 3 by Toshio. If this arc is gonna be super long, I really doubt that its gonna be his last episode. I expect more.