Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 89

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 14, 2017 5:43 pm

I think the episode used repeated frame clashes effectively, I particularly really like the one cleaned up by Manabe in the second half that is Gohan vs SSJ2 Goku.
My problem with this episode is honestly partially my fault, I expected this to be a really special episode, and instead we got a great episode (I'm happy that this is a problem I could have, lol.) There are multiple bits of action in the episode that aren't repeated frames that feel like they had all the makings to be some great animation and instead where just merely okay or good, if just one of those had been more polished I think the episode would have been so much better. Seeing all those people that came with Yamazaki kinda made it hurt a bit more that nothing really stood out animation wise.
Complaining that a good/great episode wasn't amazing is certainly a good problem to have with the show compared to the show's first year or so, that's for sure.
I'm going to refrain from making comments until I've seen the episodes in HD from now on, I'm honestly kind of embarrassed of the posts I made before seeing the HD version. The Golden Week info from Tu also makes me extra embarrassed.

On the subject of Golden Week, I wonder if that's also the reason 88 felt like it was missing a bit of polish as well.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun May 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Golden week just started when #88 aired. So I don't think it had any effect on that episode. It was just what it was.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Sodhi wrote:Golden week just started when #88 aired. So I don't think it had any effect on that episode. It was just what it was.
Oh, for some reason I thought it aired at the end of golden week.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun May 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Golden week ended on Friday before #89 :)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun May 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Toshio's comment about next episode:
Next week is the episode I wrote.
I also looked at other universe.
My favorite HIT will also appear.
Look forward !!
Definitely hyped!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Toshio's comment about next episode:
Look forward !!
Definitely hyped!
I hope it has some actual good writing.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun May 14, 2017 8:35 pm

So after watching the episode again. I have decided that my favorite scene was in the 1st half where the camera was smoothly moving with every moment of Goku and Gohan in their base. It was the 10 ish seconds scene just before Roshi takes off his glasses.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Ajay wrote:There definitely does seem to be this odd misconception that looped animation is always a bad thing that needs squashing.

On one hand, I understand it, some people think it's never going to be as interesting as full animation, but at the same time, full animation isn't necessarily always going to be better just because there's more movement -- the quality of both forms depends heavily on execution. Both have their places and shouldn't be shunned simply for being what they are.
I've seen maybe 2 people criticize looped animation simply for being looped animation. My criticisms, and I think most people's, are of Super's execution of them, which I find lackluster on days where most people are in overwhelming praise, the most obvious example of this being a month ago with Episode 86.
Ajay wrote:I can't expect everyone to be around at all points in the series, nor remember every conversation, but one thing many of us wished for back when Super began was that they'd abandon attempting complex movement if it simply wasn't being executed correctly. We wanted the simpler, snappier looped action that defined much of Z since it was far more viable to do on Super's schedule that what they were attempting at the time. I would much rather watch snappier well-directed battles like #90 over the vast majority of the U6 tournament, for example, even if said tournament features more movement. Again, something isn't better just because it moves more (though don't mistake that as me going back on saying that I'd rather watch rougher, interesting animation over pristine but limited stuff).
I agree with the general sentiment here, and I'd absolutely agree that these type episodes surpass those from the U6 tournament, but that's a remarkably low standard, isn't it? It's like saying a Big Mac is better than chewing gum off a stranger's shoe. I'd be absolutely fine is Super tries to emulate Z from now on. It's not playing to their strengths, but I'd watch and enjoy it. I should love what's happening, right? Then I watch the episodes... and they're okay, I guess, but Super's new highs not only don't even come close to Z's highs, they don't even live up to Super's previous highs.

That brings things around to an interesting place, because I personally am fine with episodes being the way they are. I understand that the show hasn't recovered from its initial pre-production issues. In fact, I'm exceedingly understanding on that issue when judging the actual quality of an episode or cut, which is not necessary a reflection of my opinions coming off of each individual episode. My issue is that this whole thing being sold and reacted to as if it were something else, something greater than it actually is.
Ajay wrote:If you think repeated animation can never be interesting, then you desperately need to reevaluate your stance and do some more research. I've fallen into this trap in the past. Don't be me.
I'll note again that while I could be mistaken, this doesn't seem to be an opinion that actually exists in any useful numbers. Maybe I'm getting a little defensive at this point, but I've been hearing this same criticism directed at me specifically for weeks now, it's null.

But enough of that. At the end of the day, this is all rooted in creative divergence. The recent animation doesn't provoke my imagination or impress me. Hell, I'd struggle to recall any specific portion of the episode at all, and I've watched the episode twice! It leaves me with such an infuriatingly bland taste in my mouth.
Sodhi wrote:So after watching the episode again. I have decided that my favorite scene was in the 1st half where the camera was smoothly moving with every moment of Goku and Gohan in their base. It was the 10 ish seconds scene just before Roshi takes off his glasses.
That's definitely where it peaked. I would have liked that scene a lot better if it had been scooched over just a tad to the early second half.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 15, 2017 6:23 am

Watching episode #18 again, I didn't realise this but there were actually quite a lot of great Goku drawings, think that episode maybe my favourite of base Goku drawings in the series, so far. There were some nicely drawn Vegeta too, I think this is now one my favourite supervised episode from Tate.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon May 15, 2017 6:37 am

Look forward !!
Definitely hyped!
Are we sure now that's as official account? He seems to only state the obvious..

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 15, 2017 6:40 am

Araki wrote: Are we sure now that's as official account? He seems to only state the obvious..
He said he was writing episode 91 before the staff listings came out.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 15, 2017 8:53 am

Look forward !!
Definitely hyped!
Didn't know his favorite character in the show is Hit.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Araki wrote: Are we sure now that's as official account? He seems to only state the obvious..
Plus, he's not going to spoil things for the audience. There has to be a few rules against that.

I like that he likes hit though. I hope hits in the top 5 if they do a popularity poll.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon May 15, 2017 2:37 pm

kinisking wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Plus, he's not going to spoil things for the audience. There has to be a few rules against that.

I like that he likes hit though. I hope hits in the top 5 if they do a popularity poll.
Hit is among the best things of Super right now, I never saw anyone disliking him.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 pm

I've just realised that King Ryu was responsible for the script of the Future Trunks Edition of Fukkatsu no F.
And I saw someone asking last time about who's directing the special (Sodhi I believe), and yes, Tadayoshi Yamamuro was director and storyboard of it!
Last edited by Psykomatik on Mon May 15, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon May 15, 2017 9:45 pm

So I guess that is why King Ryu only did 3 episodes in FT arc. Yamamuro being the director and storyboard makes sense, since this was part of the movie.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 15, 2017 11:18 pm

emperior wrote:
Hit is among the best things of Super right now, I never saw anyone disliking him.
I have seen people calling him boring or unoriginal since he's another Piccolo/Pikkon type of character.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 16, 2017 10:33 am

I asked Yamazaki about the episode. He said that Tsuji, Yamamuro, and Shimanuki all helped share the workload due to the short schedule.

I was quite surprised to hear about Yamamuro's involvement. Obviously as the supervising director of animation, things are supposed to go through him prior to episodes airing, but I've never felt his presence on episodes outside of the ones he's credited for.

I asked what Yamamuro did specifically, and he said that along with Tsuji, Yamamuro supervised important moments in both the A and B parts.

Interesting!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 16, 2017 10:47 am

Ajay wrote:I asked Yamazaki about the episode. He said that Tsuji, Yamamuro, and Shimanuki all helped share the workload due to the short schedule.

I was quite surprised to hear about Yamamuro's involvement. Obviously as the supervising director of animation, things are supposed to go through him prior to episodes airing, but I've never felt his presence on episodes outside of the ones he's credited for.

I asked what Yamamuro did specifically, and he said that along with Tsuji, Yamamuro supervised important moments in both the A and B parts.

Interesting!
Huh, so Yamamuro was active. I was hoping he was being phased out. For all the weight thrown behind this episode it still feels really empty in terms of interesting, fulfilling movement. I wish the production staff would just sacrifice some episodes so that the schedule could improve and the actual quality would have room to grow.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue May 16, 2017 11:17 am

I did catch a glimpse of Yamamuro's drawings in the episode. He did the cut involving Gohan heading upward to SSjGSSj Goku.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.