Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 89

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu May 18, 2017 11:02 am

Ajay wrote:I asked Shida if he was currently working on Super, and he said he is, so there's some good news!
Thank you Santa! this is great news! now if only my favorite animator Yuya Takahashi joins the club as well I can die happy.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am

Ajay wrote:I asked Shida if he was currently working on Super, and he said he is, so there's some good news!
He's provided the two best cuts of Super during rough times, now that the schedule is seeminglu better I wonder if Shida's next cut is going to be even better than the two he's done so far!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am

Shida Naotoshi did a lot of mob battles for Disk Wars: Avengers, so if he's started working on Dragon Ball Super then I have to wonder if he'll be working on Gokuu versus Freeza or the Tournament of Power.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Wonderful. I suspect he'll provides something spectacular in the climax of the tournament.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Gashif Aldi wrote:
In my dictionary Sakuga is a beautiful japanese animation, but I saw Kitano in Dragon Ball Sakuga's Twitter made me think twice about it.
Sakuga is a term used for animation in general. It has nothing to do with good or bad animation :)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Sodhi wrote:
Gashif Aldi wrote:
In my dictionary Sakuga is a beautiful japanese animation, but I saw Kitano in Dragon Ball Sakuga's Twitter made me think twice about it.
Sakuga is a term used for animation in general. It has nothing to do with good or bad animation :)
The actual Japanese word Sakuga/作画 just means "animation", and is used in the same way we use it, often with "amazing" or whatever before it.

In the western fandom, "sakuga" has been borrowed to mean "good animation", which is why "Sakugabooru" has the name it has, and why Japanese fans are often confused when their posts are deleted.

Wes's Dragon Ball Sakuga Twitter documents work useing the original definition of the word, rather than the quality associated with the western definition.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Thu May 18, 2017 1:18 pm

I havent got on Kanzenshuu for a while now, so I'm a bit surprised no one talked about these shots from ep. 90 (Or did i miss something?):

http://prntscr.com/f9d1ry
http://prntscr.com/f9d25q

Does anyone possibly know who did this? c:

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu May 18, 2017 1:26 pm

aaronWgamer wrote:Yashima's also quite old, isn't he? I suppose outside of natural talent, his years of experience have aided his storyboard work and possibly speed. Despite his style not being very appealing, he clearly knows what to do and how it needs to be done without hesitation. We're lucky Super has him.
The guys has been doing KA since the late 70's. He is probably work smarter not harder type of a person. As you said because of is experience he knows what needs to be done.
iAnimationLover_ wrote:I havent got on Kanzenshuu for a while now, so I'm a bit surprised no one talked about these shots from ep. 90 (Or did i miss something?):

Wezenheim posted a lot of shots like that in his twitter.
Last edited by Sodhi on Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Thu May 18, 2017 1:29 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote:I havent got on Kanzenshuu for a while now, so I'm a bit surprised no one talked about these shots from ep. 90 (Or did i miss something?):

what's there to talk about ?
beautiful backgrounds that's it

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 18, 2017 1:32 pm

So about a month ago he said he wasn't working on Super right? So now that he is considering how long he takes I guess his cut will probably come towards the finale of the ToP, which is great no need to waste him on the frivolous stuff at the beginning. A 3 min cut to close the tournament would be a dream!

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Thu May 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi everybody, long time without posting here. I wanted to ask if there's any chance that the main page of the Catalogue has some notable cuts that aren't avaiable to watch for some reason.

And also I wanted to ask you if there's any new notable cuts in the last 10 episodes or so (there's no new ones in the Cataloge, like 17 vs Goku for example), since I didn't notice any but maybe you did. :D

Thanks again Ajay and the rest of the contributors!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu May 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Ajay wrote: The actual Japanese word Sakuga/作画 just means "animation", and is used in the same way we use it, often with "amazing" or whatever before it.

In the western fandom, "sakuga" has been borrowed to mean "good animation", which is why "Sakugabooru" has the name it has, and why Japanese fans are often confused when their posts are deleted.
So, basically another japanese word butchered by western fandom (like anime) to fit their convinience?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu May 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Yeah baby, I knew he wouldn't let us down. Epic stuff is coming!
I don't think he's working on the tournament climax yet though.

It's just a matter of time until Ken Otsuka pops up too.

Now lets see if Yuya Takahashi shows up and if Karasawa revives from the ashes.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 90

Post by Ajay » Thu May 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Episode 90

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

If you've been following my posts, then you know this stuff already. Nice to be able to do meaty entries like this.
PMD wrote:Hi everybody, long time without posting here. I wanted to ask if there's any chance that the main page of the Catalogue has some notable cuts that aren't avaiable to watch for some reason.
And also I wanted to ask you if there's any new notable cuts in the last 10 episodes or so (there's no new ones in the Cataloge, like 17 vs Goku for example), since I didn't notice any but maybe you did. :D
Thanks again Ajay and the rest of the contributors!
I discontinued the 'Notable Cuts' section a little while ago with the intention of inserting a direct link to Sakugabooru. I just never got around to it. Thanks for reminding me! I've now actually gone ahead with the update.

Deadtuber.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:45 pm

This is the first time in ages Yamamauro's actually helped animate an episode right?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Upon re-watching the episodes, here's what I've found so far.

-Yamazaki may have animated the clash between the Saiyans in Part A.
-Yamamuro animated the entire Universe 10 scene and a few in Part B. He did the Gohan Kamehame-Ha as well as Gohan charging upward to Kaioken SSjGSSj Goku.
-Manabe animated the initial fight in Part B.
-Shimanuki mostly does the correction, but he did the scenes involving the ki spamming and reflection and the last fight.

On the side note, near the end of the episode, in a couple instance, Yamamuro actually shaded Goku with dented cheeks.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 18, 2017 7:19 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Upon re-watching the episodes, here's what I've found so far.

-Yamazaki may have animated the second clash between the Saiyans in Part A.
-Yamamuro animated the entrie Universe 10 scene and a few in Part B. He did the Gohan Kamehame-Ha as well as Gohan charging upward to Kaioken SSjGSSj Goku.
-Manabe animated the initial fight in Part B.
-Shimanuki mostly does the correction, but he did the scenes involving the ki spamming and reflection and the last fight.

On the side note, near the end of the episode, in a couple instance, Yamamuro actually shaded Goku with dented cheeks.
Perhaps you missed this post. The U10 scene and the large majority of action in Part B is from Yong-ce Tu.

Yamazaki, Yamamuro, and Manabe aren't key animators, so these are just corrections on their part. From what I've seen, it seems like Yamamuro's touch is felt mostly in part A.

I think the indented shading you're seeing on on-model characters are just Shimanuki and/or Nashizawa doing very minor touch-up on Tu's work for the sake of consistency.

Deadtuber.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Wow, that seems so fucked up that even yamamuro had to pop up and help, and despite of all the issues, they managed to deliver an oustanding episode, as Tu said, I really felt so many Z vibes and the action was really impactful.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:30 pm

It's hard to identify Yamamuro in this episode since he was just a supervisor. Can someone post all scenes corrected by Yamamuro or scenes done by him please?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 18, 2017 7:52 pm

superfan2024 wrote:It's hard to identify Yamamuro in this episode since he was just a supervisor. Can someone post all scenes corrected by Yamamuro or scenes done by him please?
It's quite hard to do with the likes of Tu involved. I'd list these as possibilities, even if there's a chance they're someone else's work. Excuse the lazy screenshots. You can find a few reasons under the images.

[spoiler]Image
^ The most Yamamuro looking thing in the entire episode. Pops up out of nowhere.
^ All but confirmed by Yamazaki on Twitter.
^ Probably Tu, but everything around it is corrected and/or rough, so wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was also a correction.
^ This one's kinda funny. Everything is super rough and displays Tsuji-esque qualities up until this shot where it 'snaps' into this on-model drawing. I get the feeling Yamamuro cleaned up this part.
^ The shot before this is a Shimanuki correction of a Tu shot. It has his usual line work, but this shot comes after it, and that line work has vanished. Makes me think Yamamuro corrected this bit and either used indented cheek-shading to blend in as DragonBalllKaiHD said, or Shimanuki just corrected it.[/spoiler]

Deadtuber.