Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 89

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu May 18, 2017 8:07 pm

I hope we see Yamamuro work on an episode in a more direct manor soonish, the one shot that we know was probably him surprises me so much, it's SOOOO much better than his work over the past few years.
Ajay wrote:I asked Shida if he was currently working on Super, and he said he is, so there's some good news!
Lol, I had a feeling so I checked his Twitter yesterday and found nothing amongst the billions of tweets about baseball, lol.
Super excited, I'm guessing we'll see his work in July if he just started, potentially late June if he started a while ago.
It'd be awesome if Shida's been working on Super for the past month where he hasn't shown up on anything and animates a lengthy cut in the beginning of the ToP.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 90

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri May 19, 2017 7:35 am

So I guess Megumi Ishitani has worked at Toei for as long as Super's been around? Does anybody know what she does other than the two EDs for Super that she worked on? I'm really curious, I didn't realize she actually works at Toei.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 19, 2017 9:25 am

ArchedThunder wrote:So I guess Megumi Ishitani has worked at Toei for as long as Super's been around? Does anybody know what she does other than the two EDs for Super that she worked on? I'm really curious, I didn't realize she actually works at Toei.
She's does episode director assistance right now. Like other before her, she's expected to be an assistant until she is allowed to take and pass the enshutsu test. After that she'll be allowed to be an enshutsu for episodes, working off of storyboards from more experienced directors until she is finally allowed to draw her own storyboards.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 am

Yamazaki posted a funny little sketch based on one of the shots in #90:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri May 19, 2017 10:40 am

Has anyone figured out any unfiltered shots from Yamazaki in episode 90?

EDIT: Also I think it's time to update Manabe's section, it's kinda not accurate anymore.
"Manabe's presence on Super is rather limited, often only appearing for major episodes. "

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 19, 2017 12:29 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Has anyone figured out any unfiltered shots from Yamazaki in episode 90?

EDIT: Also I think it's time to update Manabe's section, it's kinda not accurate anymore.
"Manabe's presence on Super is rather limited, often only appearing for major episodes. "
To the first question, no. I'd initially thought it may have been whoever this is since it's a pretty strong recurring style throughout the first half, outside of who we know, but it clearly doesn't match any of the sketches he's posted. Might be Yukimasa or something. I get the feeling Tsuji and Yamamuro corrected a lot of Yamazaki's own corrections. This was the only shot that had similar ears to what he's been posting. I think we'll unfortunately have to wait until next time to get a good gauge on his work.

As for Manabe's section... Honestly, everyone's description needs rewriting, really. They were hastily typed out after I finished overhauling the catalogue, not a lot of care was put into them, and they were (and probably still are) filled with mistakes. Heck, I deleted an entire line from Shimanuki's the other day since I'd somehow managed to link to a Tsuji image (????) in amongst my style descriptions. Yeah... great QC on my part!

Deadtuber.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri May 19, 2017 1:07 pm

So, I asked Yamazaki how long his episode was before it was completed, and it sounds like there was not much time for the episode to get finished. Of course, I could be wrong and totally misinterpreted his statement, so I guess you can take whatever you want with his comment.

He did state that he hoped to come back for more Dragon Ball Super , so I guess it's positive. A lot of key animators were (and still are?) hesitant to work on the series due to the bad schedule, but if he says he wants to come back, I guess thats a good sign.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Got some more info from Tu. He said that when he first joined the Dragon Ball team (Episode 34), there weren't that many people actually animating except for the supervisors, which is why he animated and/or cleaned up cuts from one episode to another. Unlike the projects he'd worked on in the past, everyone struggles right up to the deadlines, which reminds him a lot of the rush and excitement he felt when he was graduating [presumably art school].

He listed some scenes from #38, which I'd initially misinterpreted as him saying were all his, but turns out he was just showing off stuff from the second half that he liked. I was very confused as to why he was posting Tate's work! Anyway, his work was from here through to the end. It finally confirmed what this was all about. I'd always wondered why such an on-model shot had a Tate-style nose and ear. Obviously makes sense that it's a correction, but it's just another thing to add the pile of evidence that Tate has a strong hand as a supervisor.

Moving away from Tu and back to Shida, someone asked him if his work would be popping up in the middle of the Tournament of Power, and he responded that he has absolutely no clue where this work is going to be used. :lol:

Deadtuber.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri May 19, 2017 1:51 pm

By the way, no pic for episode 92?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Psykomatik wrote:By the way, no pic for episode 92?
Thanks for the reminder:

Deadtuber.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri May 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Ajay wrote:
Thanks for the reminder:

Neat. Thanks for getting it.

Moving back to Tu, could you tell him who wanted him to be on Super? Is it Chioka or Hatano?
Hope we get more infos like that from him, it's really awesome to have some in-house informaton like that! Thanks for letting us know Ajay!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Ajay wrote:Moving away from Tu and back to Shida, someone asked him if his work would be popping up in the middle of the Tournament of Power, and he responded that he has absolutely no clue where this work is going to be used. :lol:
In regards to Shida, do you think he may be saved for the new opening of Super? Because I can't imagine them using the current opening once the Universal Survival arc is over. It'd look pretty out of place, wouldn't it? Unless of course they plan on stretching the hell out of the tournament itself.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri May 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Yamamuro didnt do this shot?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri May 19, 2017 2:42 pm

No, that's Tsuji. Her character's jaw is more pronounced than Yamamuro.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Ajay wrote:Got some more info from Tu.
You have good connects. Thanks to that we know Yamamuro did some uncredited work in last episode, and I'm wondering how much more he was been doing behind the scenes.
That aside, can't any of them tell us where Karasawa went?
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Ajay wrote:
Thanks for the reminder:

I hope they redo the composition for that shot before the episode airs. The background looks pasted on.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri May 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Nasryyy wrote:BRING BACK KARASAWA
Did he left for good or is possible that he could return in the future?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ogkftg

Post by ogkftg » Fri May 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Noah wrote:
Nasryyy wrote:BRING BACK KARASAWA
Did he left for good or is possible that he could return in the future?
He hasn't really worked on anything else beside that one episode of Eldlive so I doubt he's gone for good : p If he does not appear on anything for another month or 2 that probably means he's working on something else or just taking a break, my guess is that he's at Toei working on something else, maybe for an upcoming series or special.

Have any of you guys noticed this before? I believe they credited Karasawa as the one who drew the BD 1 cover art, I think it's mistake but i'm not sure. https://www7.atwiki.jp/anime_wiki/pages/20662.html

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 pm

ogkftg wrote: Have any of you guys noticed this before? I believe they credited Karasawa as the one who drew the BD 1 cover art, I think it's mistake but i'm not sure. https://www7.atwiki.jp/anime_wiki/pages/20662.html
It's just a link to related titles. The layout of the site doesn't separate it very well.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Ajay wrote:Got some more info from Tu. He said that when he first joined the Dragon Ball team (Episode 34), there weren't that many people actually animating except for the supervisors, which is why he animated and/or cleaned up cuts from one episode to another. Unlike the projects he'd worked on in the past, everyone struggles right up to the deadlines, which reminds him a lot of the rush and excitement he felt when he was graduating [presumably art school].
Wonder how that compares to now, I'd love to know just how things have improved of the course of the show.
The thing about there not being many people animating back then is interesting, so what was with the large staff lists?
Ajay wrote:Moving away from Tu and back to Shida, someone asked him if his work would be popping up in the middle of the Tournament of Power, and he responded that he has absolutely no clue where this work is going to be used. :lol:
How does that even... what?