Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by The gr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
The gr wrote:So there's no break in July for DBS,does this mean bad news for the animation team
No.
That's good to hear and can anyone tell me who's gonna animate episode 96
Mostly active on discord.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 pm

I wish there was a break, but I imagine the committee doesn't want to miss any weeks now that they're making so much money.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I wish there was a break, but I imagine the committee doesn't want to miss any weeks now that they're making so much money.
Super's breaks come from when something else has to air in its timeslot, if anything needs to air there, like the women's marathon back in March, it will, just like always. There's no break in July simply because there is nothing to take the timeslot. The last two Julys we got a break for Fuji TV's 27-hour day of television, I don't know if they just aren't doing it this year or if they just aren't doing it on a Sunday this year.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:34 am

I feel like by the time Yuya said that, they immediately hire him. He can work on episode 98 and show up episode 104 or he could be working in episode 96 and show up in episode 100 or whatever.

We still don't know when this Tournament will end, so we can't really expect anything.
Last edited by Gashif Aldi on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:35 am

https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 0240961540
Screens for 96.
Lol at Golden Freeza with regular Freeza colors.
I feel like I recognize that Gohan face, but I can't put my finger on it.
EDIT: Reminds me of Manabe, but no way it's him.
Actually, wait, could that shot be from Nii? Piccolo looks like he was corrected by Tsuji though.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:03 am

Toshio said that 96 is the "first" episode written by Yamaguchi, so I guess that means he's not going to be a one time writter.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:42 am

ArchedThunder wrote:https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 0240961540
Screens for 96.
Lol at Golden Freeza with regular Freeza colors.
I feel like I recognize that Gohan face, but I can't put my finger on it.
EDIT: Reminds me of Manabe, but no way it's him.
Actually, wait, could that shot be from Nii? Piccolo looks like he was corrected by Tsuji though.
You're right i guess that is Nii, that vegeta looks a lot like his earlier work

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:25 am

ArchedThunder wrote: Lol at Golden Freeza with regular Freeza colors.
That's true, it' look so odd.
:clap:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:48 am

Yomi wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: Lol at Golden Freeza with regular Freeza colors.
That's true, it' look so odd.
But but but I thought Golden Freeza was a "lazy recolour"?.... :P

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:49 am

Toshio has tweeted that the production lasts 4 to 5 months.

I'm kind of conflicted on this. The current production does show that the key animators are struggling a little bit in the Universal Survival arc. It's probably thanks to the series director Nagamine that the storyboards and layouts have been very strong since it began. Then again, it's not clear if he means Dragon Ball Super or just anime in general.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:53 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: But but but I thought Golden Freeza was a "lazy recolour"?.... :P
People like to say those things, then suggest stuff like
Recolor Cooler 5th form and Recolor SSJ4 smh.
:clap:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:54 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Toshio has tweeted that the production lasts 4 to 5 months.

I'm kind of conflicted on this. The current production does show that the key animators are struggling a little bit in the Universal Survival arc. The storyboards and layouts, however, have been very strong since it began. Then again, it's not clear if he means Dragon Ball Super or just anime in general.
He specifically mentioned before that he wrote episode 99 about 4 or 5 months before it will air. I imagine that at this point the average time between a storyboard being finished to when the episode airs is about 9-12 weeks, the biggest issue at this point is probably just getting the animation staff needed for the show, which will probably become less and less of an issue as time goes on.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Toshio has tweeted that the production lasts 4 to 5 months.

I'm kind of conflicted on this. The current production does show that the key animators are struggling a little bit in the Universal Survival arc. It's probably thanks to the series director Nagamine that the storyboards and layouts have been very strong since it began. Then again, it's not clear if he means Dragon Ball Super or just anime in general.
You can write an episode six years ago. It doesn't mean it will be animated six years ago, too. Scripts are not a very good source to work off of unless we learn that they're being written only one or two months from broadcast...or two weeks.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:30 am

JulieYBM wrote: You can write an episode six years ago. It doesn't mean it will be animated six years ago, too. Scripts are not a very good source to work off of unless we learn that they're being written only one or two months from broadcast...or two weeks.
Scripts are the base of an episode, knowing how far back scripts are written on a weekly series can give you a rough idea of when certain parts of production begin. For a show that has been in the progress of improving its production I doubt they let scripts sit around, we've seen a handful of new storyboarders this arc, and the 4-5 months thing lines up pretty well with how we've been seeing some supervisors get 8 or more weeks between episodes more frequently.
If scripts were always done this far in advance then the show would have never had all of the production issues it has had, it is a clear sign of the improvements to the production and it's very clear that Super's issues have come from all parts of production, knowing that scripts are written in around 3-4 weeks and 4-5 months before the episode airs is good news and there is no reason to down play that.
I stand by my comment above that the main issue now is probably just securing the animators needed for the show and that that will be less and less of an issue as time goes on. I've got a good feeling about this cour, I think we might see a fair number of new additions to the staff, though maybe not till late July.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:35 am

It doesn't matter how many scripts you have done if you don't have the staff to produce them. That's been Dragon Ball Super's biggest problem from the start. They don't have animators and their production assistants are in chaos.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:43 am

JulieYBM wrote:It doesn't matter how many scripts you have done if you don't have the staff to produce them. That's been Dragon Ball Super's biggest problem from the start. They don't have animators and their production assistants are in chaos.
Super hasn't had the animators to make the episodes because animators haven't wanted to work on the show. Animators haven't wanted to work on the show because deadlines were short. Animation deadlines were short because storyboards weren't done far enough in advance. Storyboards weren't done far enough in advance because scripts weren't done far enough in advance. Scripts weren't done far enough in advance because there was very little preproduction.
Super's issues have always been far more than just animators, the problems go all the way back to the (lack of) preproduction of the show. Knowing when scripts are written now gives us a pretty clear idea of how production has improved beyond just what we can see with our own eyes in how the visuals have improved. I don't get why you're trying to downplay this when the results of them working to improve the show's production have been on display.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:01 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:It doesn't matter how many scripts you have done if you don't have the staff to produce them. That's been Dragon Ball Super's biggest problem from the start. They don't have animators and their production assistants are in chaos.
Super hasn't had the animators to make the episodes because animators haven't wanted to work on the show. Animators haven't wanted to work on the show because deadlines were short. Animation deadlines were short because storyboards weren't done far enough in advance. Storyboards weren't done far enough in advance because scripts weren't done far enough in advance. Scripts weren't done far enough in advance because there was very little preproduction.
Super's issues have always been far more than just animators, the problems go all the way back to the (lack of) preproduction of the show. Knowing when scripts are written now gives us a pretty clear idea of how production has improved beyond just what we can see with our own eyes in how the visuals have improved. I don't get why you're trying to downplay this when the results of them working to improve the show's production have been on display.
You've pretty much summed up Jacob's point. The industry either doesn't have animators that wanted to work with Yamamuro or doesn't have enough animators.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:10 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
You've pretty much summed up Jacob's point. The industry either doesn't have animators that wanted to work with Yamamuro or doesn't have enough animators.
No, he is trying to reduce Super's production issues down to pretty much just the lack of animators, but the lack of animators for the show has been largely due to everything that lead into animation deadlines being short. Now that the things that come before animation are in a much better place that means getting animators should be easier, and we've already seen new names pop up in recent weeks that could end up being regulars. Super has slowly but surely been building up its stable of regulars and it would not be surprising in the least if that stable grew more in this coming cour.
The improvements to the production have been clear, there is no reason to downplay this information about the scripts. The improvements we've seen wouldn't be possible if it weren't for the fact that the scripts are written further in advance.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Very solid episode. Got a surprisingly nice looking fight between three of the Hakaishin. Art looked a little rough towards the end but it was nothing offensive.

NEP looks very action packed. I hope Super can handle this tournament...

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:31 pm

Is it Kitano in the NEP? The action looks fine but the art gives me Kitano vibes.