Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:17 am

Didn't like much the art in this episode, is like they had difficulty to draw SSJ/SSJ2 Goku hair in some scenes and his fight with Caulifla was pretty boring with all those repetead frames.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:29 am

I noticed Goku was offmodel in the first part of the episode.

The filter is a blessing in disguise because it helps hiding the bad art(BNHA does it too, and it helped them in todays episode ).

King Ryu wrote tonights episode, right?

lunaticthegame

Post by lunaticthegame » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:36 am

With 97, 98 and 99s heavy use of bank and reused frames (Neither of which are horrible, just it doesn't make for good action unless done well), I was pretty sure this arc wasn't going to do well in its tournament sections. However, this episode has some pretty good choreography and action. The art was off by a bit but I didn't mind it too much. Episode 101 seems to look pretty good from the looks. I guess the arc is going to get better as it goes along like we all thought.

Hm...

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:57 am

Something that i really liked about this episode that really improved from the last 3 episodes were the backround explosions and the backround fight clashes in the air.

ShinyPhanpy

Post by ShinyPhanpy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:21 am

Liked this one, animation was a little basic but mostly well done, art was average but nothing stood out as poor. I don't really understand why so many people dislike Yashima's style, I don't mind it. Some cool shots here and there as well as solid direction and that short but sweet Goku vs Kale fight puts this as the best episode of the TOP so far for me. I also feel like the background effects are getting better and better every episode.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:55 am

Same here I really liked the look of this one. Nothing offensive stood out some neat action and some actual nice shots sprinkled throughout. The ToP continues it's uptick. :)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:09 am

I really liked this episode's action and animation, though there was some bad Yashima shot here and there, but nothing too offensive.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:15 am

The choreography really saved the episode, Goku V Kale was lit! even forgot some of the bad art because of how hype that was, those beautiful backflips and turning kicks... my God.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 am

It was a very interesting episode, that I thought had the right amount of ambitiousness in direction and animation, but simply didn't have the staff to back it up.

Yashima's work was very raw this episode, and though it was very ambitious, I don't think it was particularly well executed and definitely looked rough around the edges.

The Goku vs Caulifa fight was almost certainly entirely by Yashima, and though serviceable in terms of movement, looked very rough and incomplete.

This really didn't lend well to the direction of the episode, with Yashima being unable to really bring it effectively into fruitition.

Praise where praise is due. I definitely think this is a proving episode for Nikaido, since he was pared with only Yashima, we were able to get a better look at his work, I think his contributions in the Goku vs Kale fight shone through(it had a lot to it; meaty smoke, solid debris, smears and even an impact frame). It's definitely not perfect, the movement is a little stilted and some of cuts don't carry much weight, which is probably due to corrections, but I'll definitely take it over Yashima's work this episode.

Overall, it's a pretty competent episode from a visual standpoint, despite it being unable to really bring the directing to fruitition.

I would be lying if I didn't say the NEP looked great and am Super hyped for the episode, since it's really the only NEP that hasn't sucked.

Here's Nikaido's Goku vs Kale, really solid, would even have considered uploading it to the Booru if it was slightly more polished from a movement stand-point(that long cut at 0:15 when Kale throws her energy blasts really lacks the weight it should be trying to convey).
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
EDIT:Stuff it uploading it to the Booru anyway, even though I think it could be deleted, I think it's a worth a shot, I really don't have anything to lose by not uploading it.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 am

Now that we've had a SSJ2 fight In Super Is it okay to compare it to SSJ2 Goku and Majin Vegeta?

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:02 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:Now that we've had a SSJ2 fight In Super Is it okay to compare it to SSJ2 Goku and Majin Vegeta?
I see people say "nothing was offensive", when Caulifla vs Goku was one of the poorest fight in all of Super minus the FNF and Botamo debacle (And I guess Copy Vegeta + that one Trunks vs Black episode). Off model, bad art, terrible choreography, bad looping, stiff animation. Yikes.

The Kale stuff made up for it at least. But I don't think you want to compare that with that classic DBZ fight ;p .

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:10 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Image
Tate maybe?
obviously manabe

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:13 am

Slaythe wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Now that we've had a SSJ2 fight In Super Is it okay to compare it to SSJ2 Goku and Majin Vegeta?
I see people say "nothing was offensive", when Caulifla vs Goku was one of the poorest fight in all of Super minus the FNF and Botamo debacle (And I guess Copy Vegeta + that one Trunks vs Black episode). Off model, bad art, terrible choreography, bad looping, stiff animation. Yikes.

The Kale stuff made up for it at least. But I don't think you want to compare that with that classic DBZ fight ;p .
Yeah, the Goku v Califla stuff wasn't very good, I felt like it had the right idea from a direction point, but Yashima's animation really wasn't up to scratch to what was needed and it pretty much killed anything interesting going on it. If it was bit more polished, I think I probably would have been fine with it, but it just ended up looking super rushed and kinda dull.

ShinyPhanpy

Post by ShinyPhanpy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 am

Slaythe wrote:

I wouldn't call it "bad" just uninteresting, because it was about 40 seconds of basic looped frames with the occasional closeup. The art itself was not too bad it just did not flow well imo.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 am

For reference, here's the majority of the important action in the Goku SS2 vs Caulifla SS2 fight.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
As mentioned above, Yashima really isn't a strong enough action animator to make stuff like looped frames interesting, combined with how rushed the episode was and the final result isn't pretty.

Razyos

Post by Razyos » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 am

Just watched episode 100 and it was really fun with a great storyboard. Next week looks like we're in for an animation treat
Spread positive vibes~ ^.^

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:41 am

I think next episode really needs to be good. So far we've had 2 lacklustre episode, 1 mediocre episode, and one strictly "OK" episode, hopefully these episodes were the weak links of the arc, and everything else looks great, because otherwise I think a lot of people here would be dissappointed that the main event of the arc didn't deliver the great visuals it was set-up to have(it also needs to pick up in pretty much every department, because so far this tournament has been pretty meh all round).

EDIT: Not completely unsurprisingly, the Goku vs Kale fight was removed from the Booru.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:45 pm

Anyone noticed this in the preview.
:clap:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Yomi wrote: Anyone noticed this in the preview.
Nope, what is its significance to you?
The only thing I could think of was James Bond.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:55 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Yomi wrote: Anyone noticed this in the preview.
Nope, what is its significance to you?
The only thing I could think of was James Bond.
Just a nice frame. They're a bit rare in super (unfortunately).
:clap: