Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Episodes 94 to 100:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Ono and Kinoshita entries to follow in the next week or two, hopefully.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:48 pm

You sure did keep us waiting Snake.

I knew 97 was heavily corrected. It looked too good to be Kitano.

EDIT: Hmm. Can't seem to see the new images.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:03 pm

Wow watching the dub the first half of #26 was fantastic!! Tate's cut in that half is still my favourite he has done on Super. I am actually kind of surprised at how great the first half looked, the art everything was on point.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Wow watching the dub the first half of #26 was fantastic!! Tate's cut in that half is still my favourite he has done on Super. I am actually kind of surprised at how great the first half looked, the art everything was on point.
I know right! ROF has some hidden gems and Tate work in EP 26 is one of them, it just a shame the second half of the episode is the shits visually. It was same deal in episode 25. All of the focus was on the first half of the episode.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Wow watching the dub the first half of #26 was fantastic!! Tate's cut in that half is still my favourite he has done on Super. I am actually kind of surprised at how great the first half looked, the art everything was on point.
I know right! ROF has some hidden gems and Tate work in EP 26 is one of them, it just a shame the second half of the episode is the shits visually. It was same deal in episode 25. All of the focus was on the first half of the episode.
Yeah you can clearly tell the Shimanuki corrections in the latter half which saved the second half from being a total disaster. And yeah last week as well was surprised at how decent the first half looked.

I'm gonna need to collect some SSGSS shots from this episode!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Yay, now we're all caught up!
Noah wrote:Apart from some ugly shots, by the NEP I think #'101 will probably be a little better than we got.
I'm not sure what you're saying here, can you rephrase it?

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm not sure I'm understanding all the praise this episode is getting in terms of choreography? Unless I'm just using the phrase wrong, I don't see how anything in this episode was good choreography. Repeated frames over and over, Caulifla vs Goku fight was literally just animating their arms and legs going back and forth. Kale vs Goku just had Goku doing repeated frames of backflips for most of it.

I liked this episode overall but can anyone care to tell me what I'm missing here when it comes to the choreography? I even watched the episode twice to focus more on the fight and it was still disappointing to me. Kale vs Goku was a lot better than Caulifla vs Goku though.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Ajay wrote:Episodes 94 to 100:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Damn, those beautiful shots! Shimanuki's art is really something to behold.
Episode 98 is still my favourite one from the Tournament.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Asura wrote:I'm not sure I'm understanding all the praise this episode is getting in terms of choreography? Unless I'm just using the phrase wrong, I don't see how anything in this episode was good choreography. Repeated frames over and over, Caulifla vs Goku fight was literally just animating their arms and legs going back and forth. Kale vs Goku just had Goku doing repeated frames of backflips for most of it.

I liked this episode overall but can anyone care to tell me what I'm missing here when it comes to the choreography? I even watched the episode twice to focus more on the fight and it was still disappointing to me. Kale vs Goku was a lot better than Caulifla vs Goku though.
I agree with you that the Goku vs Caulilfa fight wasn't great by any means, but I have to say that Goku vs Kale was definitely made up of far more than just Goku backflipping, there is plenty of interesting movement and effects there.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Also Ajay, thanks for the update, it was much needed. :P

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Asura wrote:I'm not sure I'm understanding all the praise this episode is getting in terms of choreography? Unless I'm just using the phrase wrong, I don't see how anything in this episode was good choreography. Repeated frames over and over, Caulifla vs Goku fight was literally just animating their arms and legs going back and forth. Kale vs Goku just had Goku doing repeated frames of backflips for most of it.

I agree with you that the Goku vs Caulilfa fight wasn't great by any means, but I have to say that Goku vs Kale was definitely made up of far more than just Goku backflipping, there is plenty of interesting movement and effects there.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Meh. It was definitely a LOT better than the Goku vs Caulifla fight, but I'm still not really impressed. Not to say I'm disappointed in it, I just don't get all the praise. It was okay. Everything looks like it's going in slow motion and nothing stands out to me as looking all that interesting.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Does the anyone who did this? The character art and shading is downright mesmerizing, it's quite possibly the best modern Dragon Ball character art I've ever seen. It's like every character has a personality of their own, even the less enthusiastic characters like Jiren and the other Gods of Destruction.

I think it might be Nakatsuru.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:09 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Does the anyone who did this? The character art and shading is downright mesmerizing, it's quite possibly the best modern Dragon Ball character art I've ever seen. It's like every character has a personality of their own, even the less enthusiastic characters like Jiren and the other Gods of Destruction.

I think it might be Nakatsuru.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's not, it some unknown artist who does a ton of Heroes art.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:23 am

Asura wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Meh. It was definitely a LOT better than the Goku vs Caulifla fight, but I'm still not really impressed. Not to say I'm disappointed in it, I just don't get all the praise. It was okay. Everything looks like it's going in slow motion and nothing stands out to me as looking all that interesting.
I'll be frank, I think the praise around the Goku vs Kale fight is relegated to it for just being a very solid fight scene. It's not particularly over the top, though I must say I do like the scene where Goku dodges the ki blasts only to be clothes-lined by Kale through a large boulder and thrown out the other side, that was probably the strongest part of the cut. It's not perfect by any means, but I think a lot of people are just satisfied with getting a solid fight scene .

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 am

Well fanservice can be quite boring sometimes but at least here Super's fast pacing helped. Nothing offensive or "Jesus please stop" moments.
They already used the best storyboard moments in movie 8 so can't wait to see what they will do next
JazzMazz wrote:
Asura wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I agree with you that the Goku vs Caulilfa fight wasn't great by any means, but I have to say that Goku vs Kale was definitely made up of far more than just Goku backflipping, there is plenty of interesting movement and effects there.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I'll be frank, I think the praise around the Goku vs Kale fight is relegated to it for just being a very solid fight scene. It's not particularly over the top, though I must say I do like the scene where Goku dodges the ki blasts only to be clothes-lined by Kale through a large boulder and thrown out the other side, that was probably the strongest part of the cut. It's not perfect by any means, but I think a lot of people are just satisfied with getting a solid fight scene .
Sometimes you have to appreciate the fact that a battle is simple and clean with few references. People still hesitate to trust super. These safe battles are important for them
ArchedThunder wrote: It's not, it some unknown artist who does a ton of Heroes art.
Must be the same guy, who draws Dokkan battle cards. He draws Goku always angry with small eyes

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:29 am

Finally a HQ version of this promo art from one of the jigsaw puzzles:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:55 pm

It looks like Fuji has updated their site with information on 101. My device doesn't like their website so I can't tell if there's a new image or not. :problem:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:42 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:It looks like Fuji has updated their site with information on 101. My device doesn't like their website so I can't tell if there's a new image or not. :problem:
The info's been there since 100 aired, and no, there is no image.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I'm not sure what you're saying here, can you rephrase it?
Last episode had some bad art IMO, but I think the one might be better by what I saw in the NEP.
FortuneSSJ wrote:
Ajay wrote:Episodes 94 to 100:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Damn, those beautiful shots! Shimanuki's art is really something to behold.
Episode 98 is still my favourite one from the Tournament.
He's a really good artist that knows how to drawn DB, one of my favorites.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Noah wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I'm not sure what you're saying here, can you rephrase it?
Last episode had some bad art IMO, but I think the one might be better by what I saw in the NEP.
Okay, I thought you were saying that there was some bad art in the NEP.
But yeah, I've got high hopes for 101. Pretty consistently the NEPs leave out the highlight of an episode and pretty much everything in there looks good, and sometimes the NEPs will even make an episode look worse than it actually is, so I'm excited to see what we'll get.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:18 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Finally a HQ version of this promo art from one of the jigsaw puzzles:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Not bad. The art is not as good as the usual "unknown artist" and I see that this one too, draws angry saiyans with these small eyes.
My biggest complain is how everyone has the same face (except Vegeta who is mad). It feels like Kitano drew it and then a 2ka went and corrected him :D