Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Simere » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Ajay wrote:Not strictly animation related, but I thought I'd clarify since I saw it brought up recently, and this bit of info was just brought to my attention on Twitter.

Despite Daisuki having the lead in Super encodes when the simulcasts began, CrunchyRoll upped their game at around episode 83, sporting a whopping near-8K bitrate compared to Daisuki's 5K. Crunchy used to encode at 3K, which is why I always recommended Daisuki if it was available to you.

So... yeah, stick to CrunchyRoll if you can!
What about the color difference? I was told it was due to the bit rate, but from what little I know of what bit rate does it wouldn't be responsible for the drastic difference I'm seeing.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:06 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Asura wrote:So an episode does an absolutely horrible job with reused scenes and animation and no one is really criticizing it?
It's a joke. magical girl shows gratuitously reuse animation for transformation sequences.
Yeah, the transformation sequences. I don't know why everyone is conveniently ignoring the other horrendous reuse of repeated animation with Helles and Beerus/Krillin which is the real problem here. That surely isn't a parody on magical girl shows because they don't reuse animation to that effect. I've watched the entirety of Sailor Moon and never saw anything like that.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:28 am

Asura wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Asura wrote:So an episode does an absolutely horrible job with reused scenes and animation and no one is really criticizing it?
It's a joke. magical girl shows gratuitously reuse animation for transformation sequences.
Yeah, the transformation sequences. I don't know why everyone is conveniently ignoring the other horrendous reuse of repeated animation with Helles and Beerus/Krillin which is the real problem here. That surely isn't a parody on magical girl shows because they don't reuse animation to that effect. I've watched the entirety of Sailor Moon and never saw anything like that.
I and a lot of other people definitely found the Helles' thing annoying at times, though I really didn't mind them re-using the dialogue cuts. It was original to the episode so I don't have any problems with it. DBZ and GT also re-used entire fight scenes with-in the same episode, and those are some of the most well regarded episodes from an animation stand-point, so I don't really have a problem with them using the same stills in a dialogue scene a couple of times.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:02 am

The Helles scenes were very distracting, I didnt mind the re-used scenes on Beerus and co, because old Kaioshin and Shin didnt always have the same expression. Shouldve dropped 1-2 of the Helles scenes and replace them with Champas focus. imo

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am

The two Helles variations were used five times a piece. 10 reuses of one character is a heck of a lot. Definitely quite distracting.

At the very least, I found the rest of the episode more than made up for those shortcomings.

Though as always, it's hard to really say whether these shortcuts were worth it until the arc is over and we can look back and analyse things properly.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 am

I have to wonder if the Helles animation reuse was supposed to be a joke or something... if it was I think it was a poor joke, only made worse by the magical girl transformation reuse joke.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:33 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I have to wonder if the Helles animation reuse was supposed to be a joke or something... if it was I think it was a poor joke, only made worse by the magical girl transformation reuse joke.
It was 100% a joke.

Magic Girl animations are always the same (99% anyway) and reuse animation. That was the spoof.

Speaking of...Helles needs a gif of her scene :lol:
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

I don't think it was a joke, at all. The actual henshin, sure, but the other stuff has absolutely zero implication. It's the same thing they've been doing since the tournament began, turned up to 11.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I have to wonder if the Helles animation reuse was supposed to be a joke or something... if it was I think it was a poor joke, only made worse by the magical girl transformation reuse joke.
It was 100% a joke.

Magic Girl animations are always the same (99% anyway) and reuse animation. That was the spoof.

No it's not a joke I don't know why people keep saying this lol. The transformations were a joke, but I don't know of any magical girl shows that replay the same reaction animation over and over (and it's not just someone's lips flapping up and down there's a whole animation basically with her and her hand) for a whopping 10 times. That ain't no joke, and I ain't laughing.
perucho1990 wrote:The Helles scenes were very distracting, I didnt mind the re-used scenes on Beerus and co, because old Kaioshin and Shin didnt always have the same expression. Shouldve dropped 1-2 of the Helles scenes and replace them with Champas focus. imo
The Beerus Bench was definitely not as bad as Helles since there wasn't any animation with them aside from lip movements and maybe Krillin's face changing once or twice, but I felt like they could have made it a lot more natural of a shot so it's not jarring every time they keep switching to it. It had that weird tilted camera angle and I think if they had just gone with a regular angle instead it would be less jarring and blend a little better despite being reused over and over.

I don't know, maybe no one else feels the same way but for some reason I just felt like that camera angle made that scene a lot worse and unnatural since it's like the only scene with a tilt and we just keep seeing it.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Ajay wrote:I don't think it was a joke, at all. The actual henshin, sure, but the other stuff has absolutely zero implication. It's the same thing they've been doing since the tournament began, turned up to 11.
Yeah they reuse animation anyway.

However the joke being that they had to restart and magical girls always have the same transformation.

Really its both. They wanted to reuse animation but made a joke of it.

Imo of course

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Asura wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
It was 100% a joke.

No it's not a joke I don't know why people keep saying this lol. The transformations were a joke, but I don't know of any magical girl shows that replay the same reaction animation over and over (and it's not just someone's lips flapping up and down there's a whole animation basically with her and her hand) for a whopping 10 times. That ain't no joke, and I ain't laughing.
perucho1990 wrote:The Helles scenes were very distracting, I didnt mind the re-used scenes on Beerus and co, because old Kaioshin and Shin didnt always have the same expression. Shouldve dropped 1-2 of the Helles scenes and replace them with Champas focus. imo
The Beerus Bench was definitely not as bad as Helles since there wasn't any animation with them aside from lip movements and maybe Krillin's face changing once or twice, but I felt like they could have made it a lot more natural of a shot so it's not jarring every time they keep switching to it. It had that weird tilted camera angle and I think if they had just gone with a regular angle instead it would be less jarring and blend a little better despite being reused over and over.

I don't know, maybe no one else feels the same way but for some reason I just felt like that camera angle made that scene a lot worse and unnatural since it's like the only scene with a tilt and we just keep seeing it.
Youve never seen Sailor Moon transform? Its the same every episode. The joje is that since they were interrupted they had to start over entirely. Since its choreographed to be the same every time, the animation was reused.

Yeah they reuse it anyway. Yeah its not hillarious and yeah it wasted a lot of episode. I agree with that.

I just think this one was self aware.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 pm

If you think the animation reuse was bad here you'd die watching the Shin'ou League of Pokemon.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote:If you think the animation reuse was bad here you'd die watching the Shin'ou League of Pokemon.
Wasn't Pokèmon's schedule flawless?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:15 pm

emperior wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:If you think the animation reuse was bad here you'd die watching the Shin'ou League of Pokemon.
Wasn't Pokèmon's schedule flawless?
Only since XY.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Here's how much of a difference a quick edit can make:

[spoiler]Image Image[/spoiler]

I prefer the darker skin color, but the black hair, Buu-arc shading and fixed eye really do make the picture better.
(Credits to twitter user @YamamuroHater)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:44 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Asura wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
It was 100% a joke.

Youve never seen Sailor Moon transform? Its the same every episode. The joje is that since they were interrupted they had to start over entirely. Since its choreographed to be the same every time, the animation was reused.

Yeah they reuse it anyway. Yeah its not hillarious and yeah it wasted a lot of episode. I agree with that.

Just like I said, the transformations were a joke, Helles' insane overuse of repeated animation was not a joke. I have seen the entirety of Sailor Moon, there is absolutely nothing in there the likes of which Helles demonstrated.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Asura wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Asura wrote:

Just like I said, the transformations were a joke, Helles' insane overuse of repeated animation was not a joke. I have seen the entirety of Sailor Moon, there is absolutely nothing in there the likes of which Helles demonstrated.
All she did was reintroduce them the same way?

Anything outside of that wasnt part of the joke. No.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Kind of surprised to see many bothered by the Helles thing. This whole Gods bantering thing has been so uninteresting from the start I see no reason to keep wasting resources when they can just re use shots. Heck this episode itself more or less showed the benefit of it with the #17 stuff at the end. Even since #97 they definitely have got better with the use of re-used animation in my opinion and it's not like it's been happening all the time since then too.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Kind of surprised to see many bothered by the Helles thing. This whole Gods bantering thing has been so uninteresting from the start I see no reason to keep wasting resources when they can just re use shots. Heck this episode itself more or less showed the benefit of it with the #17 stuff at the end. Even since #97 they definitely have got better with the use of re-used animation in my opinion and it's not like it's been happening all the time since then too.
I also wanted to bring up that Ill settle for reused talking shots if we get some nicely animated battles.

It seems like they did that the first half of the episode to beef up the second.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:37 pm

The problem was more that it was a very distinct animation (or two), it just makes it stand out more.