Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Amir » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:12 pm

I just wish his cuts would be better choreographed, because while I enjoyed his cut here because of how well and interesting he animates body language and expression, the fight itself is pretty repetitive and boring.
I usually hate Tate's art but in this ep the art was decent enough not to hurt the quality. The Kamehameha and Gohan's ultimate power-up were surprisingly detailed and they looked awesome.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Other than time, the other issues Tate Naoki has to face is typically working with a bad storyboard or episode director. If you teamed Tate up with a good director (Nagamine, for example) and let him focus entirely on his own cuts for two months he could easily turn in 100+ high quality cuts.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:16 am

JulieYBM wrote:Other than time, the other issues Tate Naoki has to face is typically working with a bad storyboard or episode director. If you teamed Tate up with a good director (Nagamine, for example) and let him focus entirely on his own cuts for two months he could easily turn in 100+ high quality cuts.
The thing with the time is, why? DBZ was the same or even worse, I bring this on topic because for example Masunaga had a media of 6 weeks per episode since he started to animate DBZ and I don't remember any bad looking episode, just nice animation, excellent coreography, detailed art and the addition of new but positive traits in the character designs

[spoiler]EP: 174, 179, 184, 191, 195, 201, 207, 214, 220, 226, 234, 239, 247, 253, 260, 266, 274, 279[/spoiler]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:53 am

cuartas wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Other than time, the other issues Tate Naoki has to face is typically working with a bad storyboard or episode director. If you teamed Tate up with a good director (Nagamine, for example) and let him focus entirely on his own cuts for two months he could easily turn in 100+ high quality cuts.
The thing with the time is, why? DBZ was the same or even worse, I bring this on topic because for example Masunaga had a media of 6 weeks per episode since he started to animate DBZ and I don't remember any bad looking episode, just nice animation, excellent coreography, detailed art and the addition of new but positive traits in the character designs

[spoiler]EP: 174, 179, 184, 191, 195, 201, 207, 214, 220, 226, 234, 239, 247, 253, 260, 266, 274, 279[/spoiler]
Masunaga didn't have to correct the work of bad animators. All of his key animators were pretty good already. All he had to do was add his own style onto their cuts through corrections. Tate spends most of his time correcting weak animators on an already very short schedule and then has to try and key animate a high number of complex cuts by himself.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:00 am

Also in those days the animators were split into dedicated teams, that's not the case now and I assume the animators were working ahead of the supervisors back then.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 am

cuartas wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
cuartas wrote: wanna bet?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
just had to rotate the second image a bit
Can you explain what you did here, because all I saw was someone moving three different frames and placing them a top of each other in order to prove a non-existent point.
So salty eh? this discussion could've ended in the first post, I just's said it was curious, nothing else for some Tate fans to feel offended, at the end the frames are so fast that is unnoticeable, but I tend to see different animations frame by frame to see how they move, and noticed this, but you guys came here to say in other words I was lying, etc. so I had to prove that indeed is an inverted image, using the 2 images I captured in the initial post, inverting one and placing it on top of the other. The point is that it was curious, you don't have to dig up more and be soooo defensive :?
I don't see how my previous comment was salty. Thanks for the explanation by the way. I decided to go back and examine the scene. It turns out the frame was inverted. However, corrections were applied, with the shading in the second frame being different. It's nice to find stuff like this, but it doesn't serve to further any real point of contention.
cuartas wrote:
Ajay wrote:
cuartas wrote: At this point is still people issue OR animator issue?
As long as his work remains artistically sound, then it'll always be a difference in taste.
but is it fine? to remain stagnant despite the backlash or try to change and make something more appealing, or he just don't give a fuck?
If Tate were doing a poor job, I'm sure his fellow professionals would criticize his work. I think we both know thats not the case though, when you have animators on the show praising his work, it's a good indicator that his at least doing something right.

________

Also, I'm 99.9% sure that Nikaido will be doing something next week based on some smoke I saw in the preview.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Given that his last episode was four weeks ago I think we can at least expect something nice from him next episode. I hope it is at least of the same caliber as his work on Goku versus Kale.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Wow that Kale vs Goku cut looks way better than I remember, if we get one like this per ep I'll be more than pleased.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Does somebody know the story behind these corrections? (perhaps Ajay knows) I see that it is from episode 229 of DBZ. The thing is that I remember this image was discussed here in this thread but I cannot find the page. Did Yamamuro do all the corrections? [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:06 am

So looks like a special is coming. There has to be something every year so I guess a one hour special will be this year's thing. I wonder what the staff would be working on it.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:16 am

Sodhi wrote:So looks like a special is coming. There has to be something every year so I guess a one hour special will be this year's thing. I wonder what the staff would be working on it.
Was just about to post about the sepcial, wonder if that might be were Karasawa is.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:20 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Sodhi wrote:So looks like a special is coming. There has to be something every year so I guess a one hour special will be this year's thing. I wonder what the staff would be working on it.
Was just about to post about the sepcial, wonder if that might be were Karasawa is.
Maybe all Ajay's wishes will come true and Tate will be the character designer for it. :lol:

Though I think he'll be disappointed. I'm more inclined to believe that Yamamuro is going to be the director of the special.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:26 am

JazzMazz wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Maybe all Ajay's wishes will come true and Tate will be the character designer for it. :lol:

Though I think he'll be disappointed. I'm more inclined to believe that Yamamuro is going to be the director of the special.
Director, storyboarder, animation supervisor. But the way he handled the "F" special was night and day between the film, I'm not sure it'll be that much of a bad thing to be honest.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:35 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: Was just about to post about the sepcial, wonder if that might be were Karasawa is.

Director, storyboarder, animation supervisor. But the way he handled the "F" special was night and day between the film, I'm not sure it'll be that much of a bad thing to be honest.
I am well aware of that, still doesn't mean I can't be disappointed that Tate wasn't the animation director. The One Piece film he was in charge of had some of the best One Piece cuts in the franchise(though they weren't necessarily by him, it does go to show that he could at least attract A list animators).
[spoiler]Best Cut in the film by Hironori Tanaka

[/spoiler]

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:37 am

ArchedThunder wrote: Was just about to post about the sepcial, wonder if that might be were Karasawa is.
I was thinking about Karasawa possibly being in this special too. I am interested to see the air date of this special just so I can speculate what staff might be in it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:47 am

It would be interesting if someone other than Yamamuro were to handle the designs of the new TV special.
If it happens, and the new designs are well-received (both by fans and animators), maybe it will finally be the time Yamamuro steps down from his role as a character designer for Super? It's wishful thinking, but I honestly hope that we will get an upgrade over our current designs from the next arc.
It could also be that Yamamuro is the character designer for the new TV specials, but he re-designs the main cast for it, so that later those designs will be used for Super after US arc. Current Yamamuro is definitely better than his 2013 self.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:24 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Maybe all Ajay's wishes will come true and Tate will be the character designer for it. :lol:

I am well aware of that, still doesn't mean I can't be disappointed that Tate wasn't the animation director. The One Piece film he was in charge of had some of the best One Piece cuts in the franchise(though they weren't necessarily by him, it does go to show that he could at least attract A list animators).
[spoiler]Best Cut in the film by Hironori Tanaka

[/spoiler]
It depends if the special is a crossover or something equally as time waste-y I'd rather he stay on Super. I remember people being mad when they thought Shida was in the "F" special and fortunately it wasn't the case in the end.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am

The fact that Dragon Ball is getting a TV special makes me think that the production of the show has finally gotten itself in a good state. There's no way they would have done something like this for Dragon Ball a year or so ago.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:10 am

I imagine the designs will just be Yamamuro's designs. These specials rarely have the production lead time to create entirely new models.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 pm

New visual by Yamamuro:

Not a bad visual, but his eye-level pose has been done to death.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:26 pm

I really hope the special is not another stupid crossover.